HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Signed Team + Cap

Old
08-20-2010, 06:20 PM
Clive Barley
Condra Commander

vCash: 500
I think Cowen getting Mono is the best thing that could have happened for his development. In my opinion, one more year in junior to finally get 100% of his game back; confidence from dominating younger players and any mental reserves he may or may not have left over due of his injury. I've said it many times; when you already have a log jam of defensemen vying for a number 6 spot, there's no reason to rush a promising prospect and spend needless cap on keeping other guys in the press box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenseMinister View Post
Don't overthink it:

Phillips-Gonchar
Kuba-Karlsson
Campoli-Carkner
Lee

Barring injuries or something really out of the ordinary taking place, those are your pairings.

Based on Dorion's comments on the Team in an interview a week or two ago, the Sens have downgraded their expectations for Cowen being in the position to compete for a spot based on his recovery from mono. Before that happened, the defense was a little more unpredictable but now that they're fairly certain Cowen won't be ready for an NHL job out of camp, they'll just go with what they have.

Ryan Shannon also isn't going anywhere. They're the ones who gave him the 1 way deal, they'll have to live with it.

Clive Barley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 08:20 PM
trentmccleary

Regin-Spezza-Alfredsson
Michalek-Fisher-Kovalev
Ruutu-Kelly-Neil
Foligno-Winchester-Shannon

Kuba-Gonchar
Phillips-Karlsson
Campoli-Carkner
B.Lee

No need to keep a 13th forward in Oct with some many F playing D-men.
Foligno isn't getting a Top-6 role over any of these Top-6 out of training camp barring a miracle.

Kuba-Gonchar would be a good ES, PP1 and PK2 pairing that would make D-coaching a lot easier, IMO... and avoid 7 completely different pairings for every scenario.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 08:21 PM
timjNL

line combos

What is just as important is who we are playing - don't forget about how good the line of Fisher-Kelly-Alfie was against Ovechkin

timjNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 11:14 PM
choi
The Moment

Michalek-Spezza-Kovalev
Regin-Fisher-Alfredsson
Ruutu-Kelly-Neil
Foligno-Z.Smith-Shannon
Winchester

or playing against a highly offensive team like Washington:
Michalek-Spezza-Kovalev
Kelly-Fisher-Alfredsson
Foligno-Z.Smith-Regin
Ruutu-Winchester-Neil
Shannon/Wick

Gonchar-Phillips
Kuba-Karlsson
Campoli-Carkner
Lee

Leclaire
Elliott

choi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 12:14 AM
Samsquanch
Creep

Regin-Spezza-Michalek
Kovy/Alfie-Fisher-Kovy/Alfie
Foligno-Kelly-Neil
Ruutu-Winchester-Smith
xShannon

Phillips-Karlsson
Kuba-Gonchar
Campoli-Carkner

We have to try MM on the right, he prefers it and this could be the line of the future. Would love to see if this could stick now with the emergence of Regin

I think Alfie and Kovy could work really well. I know they both play the right side and like to hold onto the puck, but Id be willing to bet their outstanding hockey IQ's would still work wonders together. It would really be a 1a 1b situation with out top 6.

Also I think Foligno has to move up to the third line. I know, I know. Its one of the best third lines, why split it up. I just think its worth a try replacing the weakest player on the line with someone more offensive but still a grinder in his own right. One way or another he has waaaay more upside than Rutuu (who will still fit in exceptionally with winnie and smith on the 4th) but he has more of a future with the club and deserves the minutes more (hopefully more apparent this season).

And lastly EK was playing top minutes in the playoffs, he might as well be playing those minutes with Phillips.

Samsquanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 12:51 AM
This
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Barley View Post
I think Cowen getting Mono is the best thing that could have happened for his development. In my opinion, one more year in junior to finally get 100% of his game back; confidence from dominating younger players and any mental reserves he may or may not have left over due of his injury. I've said it many times; when you already have a log jam of defensemen vying for a number 6 spot, there's no reason to rush a promising prospect and spend needless cap on keeping other guys in the press box.
I disagree. I think that a player being sent back another year to dominate a junior league is terrible for their growth. Once he hits a professional league, be it the AHL or the NHL, he will no longer be able to dominate. Going from the top to the middle/bottom is a big fall. It will no doubt give his confidence a big blow. Unfortunately, he can't go with the option that would probably best suit his development because he is too young. The 20 year + rule sucks.

This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 04:44 AM
source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Barley View Post
As it stands now Cowen needs another year in junior followed by a year in the AHL. There are just too many others ahead of him on the depth chart. With Rundblad playing with men in Sweden and Wiercioch (and Gryba) set to play in the AHL, Cowen will have to fight for his spot when the time comes.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 04:45 AM
source

Quote:
Originally Posted by This View Post
I disagree. I think that a player being sent back another year to dominate a junior league is terrible for their growth. Once he hits a professional league, be it the AHL or the NHL, he will no longer be able to dominate. Going from the top to the middle/bottom is a big fall. It will no doubt give his confidence a big blow. Unfortunately, he can't go with the option that would probably best suit his development because he is too young. The 20 year + rule sucks.
He hasn't yet proven he can dominate in junior, at least offensively. Until we see that from Cowen, he can benefit from playing in the CHL.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 01:05 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 1470
I listened to the Dorion interview, unless there was another (which you should post for continuity). There was nothing said about Cowen not being in training camp, prospect camp even and vying for a spot in the NHL.

In fact Dorion said the exact opposite of what was said earlier in this thread. I love how people take artistic license without any sort of proof to back up their claim.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 01:31 PM
Hale The Villain

vCash: 50
Michalek - Spezza - Kovalev
Kelly - Fisher - Alfredsson
Foligno - Regin - Shannon
Ruutu - Smith - Neil
Winchester

Phillips - Gonchar
Karlsson - Kuba
Campoli - Carkner
Lee

Elliott
Leclaire

Hale The Villain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 01:35 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

Like it or not, this is what the lineup will look like most of the time.

Michalek - Spezza - Alfie
Regin - Fisher - Kovalev
Ruutu - Kelly - Neil
Foligno - Smith - Shannon

Phillips - Gonchar
Kuba - Karlsson
Campoli - Carkner

extras: Lee, Winchester

But if I had my way I might try;

Regin - Spezza - Michalek
Kovalev - Fisher - Alfie
Ruutu - Kelly - Neil
Foligno - Winchester - Smith

Kuba - Gonchar
Phillips - Karlsson
Campoli - Carkner

extras: Lee, Shannon

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 03:06 PM
DefenseMinister

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanSensFan View Post
I listened to the Dorion interview, unless there was another (which you should post for continuity). There was nothing said about Cowen not being in training camp, prospect camp even and vying for a spot in the NHL.

In fact Dorion said the exact opposite of what was said earlier in this thread. I love how people take artistic license without any sort of proof to back up their claim.
Then you don't have strong listening skills. The interview isn't on the Team 1200 site, can't post a link when one doesn't exist.

Dorion was interviewed earlier in the summer right after the development camp, maybe that's the one you're referencing. He was interviewed again after it was announced that Cowen would not be participating in the Junior camp because of his recovery from mono. Asked specifically about Cowen's recovery, Dorion said that the Sens brass were unsure about what his chances were to be at top physical condition so that he could compete for a spot in camp. He said that the typical recovery from mono really sets a hockey player back in what would be a prime training time in the offseason.

He never ruled anything out because there's a lot of uncertainty involved in how recovered Cowen will be by the time camp starts up but the general tone sounded like they were definitely scaling back the expectations.

DefenseMinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 05:54 PM
LightningBurrows
ThreatLevelMidnight

vCash: 93
Michalek-Spezza-Alfredsson
Foligno-Fisher-Kovalev
Ruutu-Kelly-Neil
Regin-Winchester-Shannon
Smith,Bass

Gonchar-Phillips
Cowen-Karlsson
Kuba-Campoli
Lee,Carkner

Elliot
Leclaire

LightningBurrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 07:38 PM
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoIginla View Post
Michalek-Spezza-Alfredsson
Foligno-Fisher-Kovalev
Ruutu-Kelly-Neil
Regin-Winchester-Shannon
Smith,Bass

Gonchar-Phillips
Cowen-Karlsson
Kuba-Campoli
Lee,Carkner

Elliot
Leclaire
Horrible, Cowen and Karlsson would be the same as last years Campoli-Karlsson. Regin on the 4th line is just madness as well. You also have Phillips playing the right side while Gonchar has been playing the right side in Pittsburgh, no reason to move Phillips over.

ErikKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 12:49 AM
fromAstandpoint

If I'm not mistaken B.Lee is both on a one-way deal and past his waiver exemption. Unless the organization is willing to risk losing him for nothing on waivers and/or pay him 800k in the the minors, saddle up for another year of what I like to call "Lee Magic."

In case you were wondering, I am predicting Lee Magic.

fromAstandpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 08:32 PM
Anca18

vCash: 200
My defense lines don't look so horrible right now, but my forward lines look terrible, lol

Anca18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 08:59 PM
Benny FTW
Tool Time Travel

Foligno - Fisher - Alfredsson
Ruutu - Kelly - Neil
Shannon - Smith - Kovalev

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 09:04 PM
Karlssonlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieRunsValhalla View Post
Ruutu - Kelly - Neil
I like those lines a lot. Nice mix of speed and skills on the top two lines.

Defense:

Campoli - Gonchar
Phillips - Lee
Carkner - Karlsson

Hale

Karlssonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Benny FTW
Tool Time Travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlssonlee View Post
I like those lines a lot. Nice mix of speed and skills on the top two lines.

Defense:

Campoli - Gonchar
Phillips - Lee
Carkner - Karlsson

Hale
I think Hale has earned more games.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 02:04 AM
DrEasy
Allez Stephane !

vCash: 840
Campoli - Gonchar
Phillips - Carkner
Hale - Karlsson

DrEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:34 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Ruutu - Kelly - Neil
that's the one.

(or swap foligno and michalek. whatever works better)

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:31 AM
Wondercarrot
Classless

I'd keep Michalek-Fisher-Alfie together and try to get some of the slugs going by letting them line up with Spezza and see if he can carry them.

Other than Alfie, Spezza is the ONLY player on this team who can create offence by himself. Put Regin and Kovalev out there with him, cross your fingers that one of those 2 guys will step up and convert some Spezza magic.

The Sens offence without Spez is a wasteland.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 12:14 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
I'd keep Michalek-Fisher-Alfie together and try to get some of the slugs going by letting them line up with Spezza and see if he can carry them.

Other than Alfie, Spezza is the ONLY player on this team who can create offence by himself. Put Regin and Kovalev out there with him, cross your fingers that one of those 2 guys will step up and convert some Spezza magic.

The Sens offence without Spez is a wasteland.
Also good ^

CC just has to try some of these ideas we have. The only reason he put michalek-fisher-alfie together was because of injuries and Alfie gets a hatrick.

Your idea would give us a good lineup of

Regin-Spezza-Kovalev
Michalek-Fisher-Alfredsson
Ruutu-Kelly-Neil
Foligno-Winchester-Shannon

I like that too.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 12:23 PM
kyle747

Quote:
Ruutu - Kelly - Neil
Regin and Foligno have combined for 0 goals. Not sure where their development will take them, but right now, today, neither is a top 6 winger.

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote