HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Arron Asham signs with Pittsburgh - 8/20

Old
08-20-2010, 07:33 PM
lancer247

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersguy33 View Post
People in the thread think the Pens signed Kovy. Asham brings nothing to the table other than about 20 points
Agrred. I really like Asham but he isn't any better then what Carcillo or Powe bring and he isn't the forechecker theat they are which is needed in Lavi's system.

People keep comparing him to Shelley but their roles aren't the same. Teams placed a value on having a H/W enforcer, just look at the contracts to guys like boogey, shelley, and King. Hell, Peters is only making $200M less then Asham.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 07:38 PM
BrOrpik 44

Hey guys, came here to ask you who have seen Asham all year what kind of player he is. The people over at the pens board liken him to Matt Cooke, and I was wondering if that's the case.

Thanks in advance

BrOrpik 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 07:40 PM
DogsFan*
GHG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
nobody wants Shelley.
My point exactly.

DogsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 07:48 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrOrpik 44 View Post
Hey guys, came here to ask you who have seen Asham all year what kind of player he is. The people over at the pens board liken him to Matt Cooke, and I was wondering if that's the case.

Thanks in advance
He will surprise you once in a while, he will score when he's given the chance and if he has other good players on his line he will be even better. But once in a while he'll make a boneheaded move and you'll just wonder why he's in the NHL, but that's rare.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 07:51 PM
buckwildtimothy

Quote:

Thanks in advance
Not at all like Cooke. Asham is as slow as the come and he's not really a big hitter.

However, Asham is a decent fighter, has underated hands and a good slapshot.

buckwildtimothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 07:53 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1505
Quote:

Thanks in advance
He is gritty, aggressive, a third/fourth liner. Decent hands. He was a respected and liked teammate, too.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 07:57 PM
lancer247

Quote:

Thanks in advance
Smaller version of Rupp?

Slow, very slow and doesn't forecheck very well but he is tough as nails and if some gets him the puck he can finish better then most people think.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 08:03 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Meh. He was a fan favorite and team player, but I don't see him making a real difference on the Pens unless he is playing with a playmaker on the same line. A lot of his points were the result of playing a lot of his time with Giroux.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 08:04 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
1 year $700K
Wellllllll,... I guess Pittsburgh got the Hometown Discount.

Seriously, folks... That is only $150K more than what Cote walked away from... That would have almost covered him... $400K less than Shelley. I supposed he waited as long as possible and then went to another good team with a shot at the Cup, one still in the East where he has spent his entire career to-date, IIRC.

IMO, Asham could certainly have played in Lavvy's system... as well as Carbomb as I see it, and better than Shelley... while playing a regular shift and double Shelley's minutes more than likely. True, he can't beat the true heavyweights like Jody, but he will take them on just as quickly. Do the Flyers really need a H/W enforcer?

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 08:20 PM
jb**

always got the feelign asham didnt like Carcillo at all. Guess we will find out. Asham and cooke can now go out to dinner. Rather have had Asham than Powe.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 08:34 PM
Centauris*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
always got the feelign asham didnt like Carcillo at all. Guess we will find out. Asham and cooke can now go out to dinner. Rather have had Asham than Powe.
actually they were friends.

Centauris* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 08:46 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Meh. He was a fan favorite and team player, but I don't see him making a real difference on the Pens unless he is playing with a playmaker on the same line. A lot of his points were the result of playing a lot of his time with Giroux.
he had a tendency last year to get into some great spots...and then miss the net or hit the goalie's chest, too. there were a lot of "i wish someone else had that puck" moments...but at least he was getting himself into those positions, i guess.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 08:48 PM
BrOrpik 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
He will surprise you once in a while, he will score when he's given the chance and if he has other good players on his line he will be even better. But once in a while he'll make a boneheaded move and you'll just wonder why he's in the NHL, but that's rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwildtimothy View Post
Not at all like Cooke. Asham is as slow as the come and he's not really a big hitter.

However, Asham is a decent fighter, has underated hands and a good slapshot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
He is gritty, aggressive, a third/fourth liner. Decent hands. He was a respected and liked teammate, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
Smaller version of Rupp?

Slow, very slow and doesn't forecheck very well but he is tough as nails and if some gets him the puck he can finish better then most people think.
Sounds like a really good depth-player then, his speed might be a problem with the aggressive forechecking system being employed by the penguins but it sounds like if he gets paired up with malkin (which isn't that impossible considering the surplus of bottom6 talent and how few players we have that can man the top 6) he'll fit in pretty good. Thanks for the info guys!

BrOrpik 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 09:07 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Sounds like a really good depth-player then, his speed might be a problem with the aggressive forechecking system being employed by the penguins but it sounds like if he gets paired up with malkin (which isn't that impossible considering the surplus of bottom6 talent and how few players we have that can man the top 6) he'll fit in pretty good. Thanks for the info guys!
IMO, he'll be fine in that system... Lavvy utilized him well during the last half of the season and in the postseason. I doubt however that he will play with Malkin... at least not for more than a couple cameos here and there. I'd expect him to be on the third or forth lines with spot duty on the second if pressed... no matter how many bottom six players you have and lack of top six; he is just not a consistent point produce and as has been pointed out, he is not a finisher.

I think you got a real nice team player and quite a bargain... I just hope he doesn't come back to bite the Flyers in the arse.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 08-20-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old
08-20-2010, 09:16 PM
JCameron418

Should have kept this guy. And at 700k I'd take him over Shelly.

JCameron418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 09:19 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Excellent 4th liner capable of subbing in on the 3rd line. Has decent hands and a decent shot that he'll use to pot in about 20 points a year and one "wtf was that ****, omg!" highlight reel goal a year. Can and will fight when he wants to. Reportedly a good teammate and person.

I wouldn't say he's like Cooke at all really. Carcillo is more like Cooke then Asham.

Anyways, this off-season just feels and ends up ****tier the longer it goes on.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 09:24 PM
Jaydepps

Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
This hurts more than I thought it would considering we had all pretty much already known he was gonna leave.

Jaydepps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 09:36 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Anyways, this off-season just feels and ends up ****tier the longer it goes on.
It really does. To think back to having such high hopes in late June makes me ill. Almost every move has been a step backwards.

How a person can **** up what should have been the easiest of offseasons this badly is mindboggling.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 09:41 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydepps View Post
This hurts more than I thought it would considering we had all pretty much already known he was gonna leave.
To be honest, at first I thought he was all but gone... and then at the beginning of August the reports suggested he was holding out for Homer to work things out... The longer he was not signed the more I thought that it might get done with the Flyers... My hopes were just dashed.

Old
08-20-2010, 09:44 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
It really does. To think back to having such high hopes in late June makes me ill. Almost every move has been a step backwards.

How a person can **** up what should have been the easiest of offseasons this badly is mindboggling.
every time homer makes a move, an angel gets its wings torn off by badgers.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 09:50 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post

Yeah, I felt the same. I had never been as excited for an off-season as I was going into this one and now it's, without a doubt, the most disappointing and depressing off-season I've seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
every time homer makes a move, an angel gets its wings torn off by badgers.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 09:58 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

It's obviously not a huge move, but I'm pissed that he signed with Pitt. I hate the Pens so ****ing much and I loved what Asham brought for his role. Whatever, glad the dude got a contract.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 10:16 PM
Terence Peterman

****. Good on Asham, but this offseason has blown so hard.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 10:23 PM
Gold Diamond
Dey Soff

I'm curious as to why exactly Asham was a fan favorite on the Flyers. I never really watched his game much, other than the few odd goals he seemed to score - at times he looked like a natural goal scorer when he scored but he rarely did so... I never liked the guy because I hated his face. He looks like Moe from the Three Stooges.

It will be weird rooting for him now... like LeClair.

Gold Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 11:23 PM
ashamsmashem

Quote:

Thanks in advance
he's not a gutless ****, so he's not like cooke.

by far, he's my favorite player, and it's going to kill me seeing him in a pens uniform.

ashamsmashem is offline   Reply With Quote