HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Dionne talks Habs and Francophones... "Not the Flying Frenchmen anymore"

Old
08-20-2010, 04:27 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Yea, well that's fine and all, but it's not any easier to find. I'd love it if we could have a Qc superstar over here.
There aren't too many around the league and you probably won't get one through the draft unless you have a top pick and land on the right draft year.

But there reason I said it'd be interesting to see if they stock up on them. It's because guys like JC Lajoie aren't just talking about getting that big French player, they whine about Desjardins being moved. They're not talking about the Lapierres, Latendresses, Bouillons or Begins, they're talking about worst than that. They're talking about 26yo Goalies being moved around in AHL.

I can't disagree with anyone wanting a local superstar, of course I'm all for it as well. But the whiners aren't just talking about it, they whine.
Not defending Lajoie...far from it. But he is not talking about Desjardins. He keeps mentioning, and he just did a few seconds ago, how this summer was no fun for him. That it's the accumulation of things that made him not have a great summer. Every moron out there, from Lajoie to Tremblay, would not have said 1 single thing if the team would have had 5-8 Quebecers on board in the team playing some kind of a role. Clearly Desjardins is not the problem. They are using the "Desjardins" episode to get their point across as far as the lack of francos in the organization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I can play this too.

I wish we would have done this instead.

Antoine Lafleur instead of PK Subban
Nick Petersen instead of Alexander Avitsin
Alex Bourret instead of Carey Price
Danick Paquette instead of Danny Kristo.

Am I doing it right ? Do you like getting embarrassed ?
While I somewhat believe that BPA doesn't really exist, your comparisons aren't close to what the notion can be. Lafleur was far from being slotted at Subban rank. Petersen has major skating problems that would not have permitting him to be somewhat of an interest for us. Bourret was not a top 10 pick on any list. The only comparision that might be true are Paquette for Kristo.

Clearly, we would have gotten, at the time, a guy that was compared to Chris Neil in our lineup, I really don't see how we would have been mad about it. Instead of going with "another" flashy speedy winger that A LOT of people would have mentioned here that we didn't need him since we had a lot of those already.

Now, let's wait a little before calling Kristo a star and Paquette a bust, cleary Kristo's progression is immensely impressive so chancese he will end up the better player.....But if we would have went with Paquette, chances are it would have been a mistake, sure.

Now, yes, it goes both ways. It's not because we would have made a mistake choosing a franco, that it means going with the anglo or else is always the best thing either. If tons of people here agree that we win some and lose some, well might as well "sometimes" (when it's justfied) to make a mistake going with the local.

Yet, it doesn't always work that way even with me, who's one of the most Q fan. You could even talk about a mistake we probably already made.....Fortier instead of Benn or others that will soon shine more than what Olivier will be doing. I hated the pick then....still hate it now.

But it's not, never was and never will be about "A franco, no matter what". At least not for me.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Not defending Lajoie...far from it. But he is not talking about Desjardins. He keeps mentioning, and he just did a few seconds ago, how this summer was no fun for him. That it's the accumulation of things that made him not have a great summer. Every moron out there, from Lajoie to Tremblay, would not have said 1 single thing if the team would have had 5-8 Quebecers on board in the team playing some kind of a role. Clearly Desjardins is not the problem. They are using the "Desjardins" episode to get their point across as far as the lack of francos in the organization.
This rant isn't new. It's been going on for many, many years.
Even when we had a decent amount of Quebecers, the issues were, the Captain should speak french or we passed up on a great local boy, etc.. There was/is always something for them to criticize. Now, I don't know what they and their employer have as agreements, but I wasn't aware they were hired as critics.

They're not using Desjardins to get their point across, they've been whining about this for quite some time now.
Had they kept it in for a while and we had never heard them speak on the matter before, then I would agree, but as you this is far from being the case.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 04:45 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post

1) The abolition of the territorial right to draft two Québécois.

2) Expansion from 6 to 12 and ultimately 30 teams, which dilutes the pool of worthwhile francophone players in every round of the draft.
3) The unwillingness of the original Molson ownership to pay top salaries, which resulted in the trade of several francophone stars (e.g., Damphousse).
4) Inept drafting by three Québécois GMs in a row (Sege Savard, Réjean Houle, and André Savard).
5) An unwillingness of Québécois free agents to come to Montréal E.g., Vincent Lecavalier) and a desire to get out of Montréal (e.g., Guillaume Latendresse).
6) Influx of European and American talent.
7) The inability of the QMJHL and lower leagues in the province to develop NHL-worthy players.
1 ) The territorial rights and the two québecois thing is completely, but completely different.

2 ) Actually, if there wouldn't be a draft, it wouldn't matter if there were 12 or 30 teams. But now that there's a draft, well...

3 ) That was a painful era, but it has more to do with the loonie being extra-low than anything else.

4 ) André Savard was actually a decent drafter. Same with Savard. (although he flopped badly with some 1st rounders from QC)

5 ) It all comes to draft. Vinny was made a star in Tampa. Why would he leave? And would you want that contract anyways?

This said, you couldn't be more right on point 6 and 7.

MXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 04:52 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Yea, well that's fine and all, but it's not any easier to find. I'd love it if we could have a Qc superstar over here.
There aren't too many around the league and you probably won't get one through the draft unless you have a top pick and land on the right draft year.

But there reason I said it'd be interesting to see if they stock up on them. It's because guys like JC Lajoie aren't just talking about getting that big French player, they whine about Desjardins being moved. They're not talking about the Lapierres, Latendresses, Bouillons or Begins, they're talking about worst than that. They're talking about 26yo Goalies being moved around in AHL.

I can't disagree with anyone wanting a local superstar, of course I'm all for it as well. But the whiners aren't just talking about it, they whine.
Don't be fooled. If there was someone of Lecavalier magnitude in town, much, much less would be made of the deals involving the Desjardins, Bouillons, and Dandenaults of the world. Latendresse would be a medium sized story instead of a large one, Desjardins would be minor instead of medium, etc, because the top cheese would still be in town and the media would still spend most of their time following him around and asking him to comment on every little thing.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 09:23 PM
ppil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Don't be fooled. If there was someone of Lecavalier magnitude in town, much, much less would be made of the deals involving the Desjardins, Bouillons, and Dandenaults of the world. Latendresse would be a medium sized story instead of a large one, Desjardins would be minor instead of medium, etc, because the top cheese would still be in town and the media would still spend most of their time following him around and asking him to comment on every little thing.
That's kind of the point, seen from two different angles. Some will say that they complain about something real, the lack of local players on the team, and the solution is, if you don't have any, get more, if you have some, get some better.

Others will say that they are just complaining no matter what. When we had Latendresse, Bouillon, Begin, Dandenault, etc., we didn't have enough good ones. Now that we only have Lapierre (and the other one...), we don't have enough, any quebecer would do it.

As I said many times, to me, both sides are the same, what I hate is the influence that those guys have on the weak ones. The influence that bring a lot of "Gainey " (in real life, not on hfboards) and when you ask why, you don't get any answer...

ppil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 09:58 PM
VL55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
A nation is a grouping of people who share real or imagined common history, culture, language or ethnic origin, often possessing or seeking its own government (web definition).
Hmm... But Québec has its own government. It's a provincial government, but it's still a government. What's the name of the legislative body again? Oh yeah, L'Assemblée Nationale. It's not fully sovereign but the constitution of Canada does recognize its existence and grants it extensive powers.

Even the definition you provided doesn't demand the government be Independant. Québec is a nation in the same way that Scotland is and it has a government by any definition you can dig up. It's not an independant nation, but it's a nation.

Political science 101, here.

VL55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 10:47 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by VL55 View Post
Hmm... But Québec has its own government. It's a provincial government, but it's still a government. What's the name of the legislative body again? Oh yeah, L'Assemblée Nationale. It's not fully sovereign but the constitution of Canada does recognize its existence and grants it extensive powers.

Even the definition you provided doesn't demand the government be Independant. Québec is a nation in the same way that Scotland is and it has a government by any definition you can dig up. It's not an independant nation, but it's a nation.

Political science 101, here.
All this in a sports forum?
Ya learn something new every day

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 10:57 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I can play this too.

I wish we would have done this instead.

Antoine Lafleur instead of PK Subban
Nick Petersen instead of Alexander Avitsin
Alex Bourret instead of Carey Price
Danick Paquette instead of Danny Kristo.

Am I doing it right ? Do you like getting embarrassed ?
Nice.

I like Quebecers, but what I find funny is that none of these guys name any french players they want who would actually be better than anyone we have.

InglewoodJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 11:57 PM
VL55

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
All this in a sports forum?
Ya learn something new every day
Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

VL55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 12:29 AM
McNuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
A nation is a grouping of people who share real or imagined common history, culture, language or ethnic origin, often possessing or seeking its own government (web definition)

You see, the end is the sticking point to this grand declaration Quebec is indeed a nation. Last I checked, Bloc and PQ support was dwindling too. They can claim it's a nation all they want, but in the end, there's only one real nation in Canada.
Are you a troll? Because you just quoted something that contradicts your own argument (often possessing or seeking its own government = Quebec). Does the constitution crisis ring a bell to you? And I guess by your logic the Scottish don't form a nation. What, Canada has a uniform history, culture, language and shares a pan-canadian identity? Maybe you should pull your head out of that dark place.

Canada was founded as a binational State.

Last edited by McNuts: 08-21-2010 at 12:36 AM.
McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 04:50 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Of course, they probably would whine less, but I still think they would whine about the quantity of quebs. Not only that, but they would probably criticize Vinny for his big contract.

Old
08-21-2010, 06:21 AM
icerocket

I still think the Habs should have the best understanding of prospects from Quebec.

This means knowing which Quebecois players are better than non-Quebecois players and vice versa. I just think they should have a better system for finding gems over here.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 07:57 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
I still think the Habs should have the best understanding of prospects from Quebec.

This means knowing which Quebecois players are better than non-Quebecois players and vice versa. I just think they should have a better system for finding gems over here.
You're assuming there are lots of bijoux to be found in the province. I disagree. Look at the birthplaces ofall NHL players. The chances of finding them elsewhere are greater.This "when all other things are equal" hedge is a hollow cliche.

I hope you don't mind the analogy: When you're looking for a new girlfriend you shouldn't confine yourself to women who live within a a half-mile radius from your house or who go to your church. Maybe that would make your neighbors [substitute Hab fans for neighbors if you will] happier but you have to look out for yourself first of all. Like other professional sports, hockey is a business. Winning usually correlates well with a healthier bottom line. Sentimentality is for losers. It's equivalent to betting on a horse because you like its name.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 08:11 AM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
When you're looking for a new girlfriend you shouldn't confine yourself to women who live within a a half-mile radius from your house or who go to your church.

Pretty bad analogy, i prefer a girl that live close and have similar interests. I will certainly look at them more

I would'nt mind the Habs scouting the local guys more carefully. Every NHL teams, specially canadian ones do that actually. Listen to any draft, they mention the local factor many times. Hockey is a business like you said and local boys sells. Also you can hope they will spend more time with you (once FA time comes).

The only problem with that, is that it's very difficult for a french player in MTL so unlike elsewhere, many locals seem to avoid the team or underachieve. It's why we can't get locals UFA cheaper.

So I support the principle of making more efforts on locals but i fully understand that it's very difficult to do it without sacrifices. I think the current management (and Gainey before) have a nice balance.

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 09:23 AM
No Team Needed

ok, question to habs fans who want more quebecois on the team.

say montreal doesn't draft the best french canadian players. would you want montreal to overpay and trade for said french canadians they missed? would you be willing to give up kristo+carle+1st for perron? price+subban+pacioretty+plekanec+2 1sts for lecavalier? cammalleri+1st for st.louis? would you do it just to ensure this team has french stars?

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 09:54 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post

say montreal doesn't draft the best french canadian players. would you want montreal to overpay and trade for said french canadians they missed? would you be willing to give up kristo+carle+1st for perron? price+subban+pacioretty+plekanec+2 1sts for lecavalier? cammalleri+1st for st.louis? would you do it just to ensure this team has french stars?
Not a damn chance in hell.

The only franco of recent memory that hurts me that we didn't draft is Claude Giroux, and he's from Ontario.

I hope Louis Leblanc develops into something special to silence his and perhaps some franco critics, but I imagine rather then being satisfied they finally have a star Franco they'd then use this to further push their agenda with "See, we all told you, if we drafted more Franco they'd all be great, etc".

Most of the younger generation doesn't seem to have too much of a problem with this.. I am 25, an Anglo-Quebec/Montrealer who was educated in good ol' Francais and have many French friends. I can't say I was ever teased, be-littled or treated differently because my family was English-first.

In a perfect world, we'd draft and develop more local talent. However, for every Claude Giroux we miss because we drafted a "safer pick" at the time, we also risk missing a PK Subban or Carey Price because we we're too busy looking at language. You rarely ever hear Gaston Therrien, Rejean Tremblay or JC Lajoie bring up this point when they wave the blue & white flags.

We could use a stronger scouting staff in the Q... We'll see what comes in the future.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 11:52 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
You're assuming there are lots of bijoux to be found in the province. I disagree. Look at the birthplaces ofall NHL players. The chances of finding them elsewhere are greater.This "when all other things are equal" hedge is a hollow cliche.

I hope you don't mind the analogy: When you're looking for a new girlfriend you shouldn't confine yourself to women who live within a a half-mile radius from your house or who go to your church. Maybe that would make your neighbors [substitute Hab fans for neighbors if you will] happier but you have to look out for yourself first of all. Like other professional sports, hockey is a business. Winning usually correlates well with a healthier bottom line. Sentimentality is for losers. It's equivalent to betting on a horse because you like its name.
Not sure where you get the assumption. 'Cause having a better understanding and being more prepare when comes the time to draft or get a french player via trade only means that when they'll be there, you also will.

Having a team filled with Perron-Giroux-Laperrière-Beauchemin-Bouillon-Lombardi-Latendresse (for example, there are other combinations), is not exactly FILLING a team solely with french "stars" but yet it's not exactly a downgrade to what we have right now. And I can tell you that a lineup with 6-8 french players would be enough to stop the distraction, to stop everybody from badmouthing the team at least in that regard, it would also make the french players, interesting not because of their language but their talent, afraid of coming here 'cause if they do RIGHT NOW, they'd be the sole french voice of the team, to come here.

But that's only for the ones who believe in having a different identity than the other 29 teams in the league. For the ones who don't, well clearly, there's no need. I'd just wish that we'd respect both sides here. Unfortunately, I don't see a whole lot of pro-Quebecers badmouthing the ones who don't believe in having more Q in the team....can't say it's the same for the other side....

Old
08-21-2010, 11:53 AM
JrHockeyFan

For some it appears that the lines are a bit blurred. The "priority list" appears to be something like this:

1. Montreal (any language?)
2. Quebec (any language?)
3. Francophone (from anywhere)
4. French name (from anywhere)
5. Anybody who can speak French

I'm not even really sure where Q players of any ethnic background fit into the list

I'm trying to imagine the guys at the draft table trying to decide who to pick based on so many "extra" criteria above playing ability. I'm sure to some it sounds really easy. Especially when one of those "steal" opportunities are out there in rounds 3 to 5

The process is further complicated by the fact that only about 25% of the draft is specifically from the Q. With not too any first rounders historically. That and Montreal constantly being in the lower half of the draft bracket every year. That and not all of the Q players drafted are French first language.

How many risks should the club take every year to fit the draft Q players / French?

Also, what if said Q player was an English first language player from the Atlantic provinces? Would that satisfy what folks are really after?

This whole things complicates drafting a winner a lot more than folks care to admit.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 11:55 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

Absolutely freakin not. Though your question fits right in with the people who'd think we'd swap Francis Bouillon for Andrei Markov....it was never THE debate to begin with.

Old
08-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Kriss E

Quote:

Those are more than just overpayments, they're absolute steals.

Old
08-21-2010, 12:09 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
For some it appears that the lines are a bit blurred. The "priority list" appears to be something like this:

1. Montreal (any language?)
2. Quebec (any language?)
3. Francophone (from anywhere)
4. French name (from anywhere)
5. Anybody who can speak French

I'm not even really sure where Q players of any ethnic background fit into the list

I'm trying to imagine the guys at the draft table trying to decide who to pick based on so many "extra" criteria above playing ability. I'm sure to some it sounds really easy. Especially when one of those "steal" opportunities are out there in rounds 3 to 5

The process is further complicated by the fact that only about 25% of the draft is specifically from the Q. With not too any first rounders historically. That and Montreal constantly being in the lower half of the draft bracket every year. That and not all of the Q players drafted are French first language.

How many risks should the club take every year to fit the draft Q players / French?

Also, what if said Q player was an English first language player from the Atlantic provinces? Would that satisfy what folks are really after?

This whole things complicates drafting a winner a lot more than folks care to admit.
Well it all depends on who you're talking to. Seems that the stupid media want more Quebecers. Preferably french ones pure laine. Preferable that played in the Q. They would have takent Kevin Veilleux instead of PK Subban. I would definately NOT have.

I'm mostly going with the Q no matter the origin. But I do have an extra attention to Quebecers no matter from which region in Quebec they are from. BUT I WOULD NOT PICK JONATHAN BRUNELLE in the 2nd round 'cause he fits the french criteria. Talent and needs are #1 ahead of everything else. But when you're faced with a d-man so raw that you have no idea how it will turn out and a winger who has shown TREMENDOUS improvement in the past 2 years and alreadly looks way too talented for the league he's playing in in his draft year, to me that's a NO BRAINER. To me, as much as I have that fascination with big centerman, if you have to choose between a big centerman, yes, but by any means has no idea how to use that size, or a great all-around player even if they're playing in the same league, you go with the ones who not only has the tools but also know somehow to use them. And there are other examples like that.

It all comes down to what you do on the ice and not what you say between periods. Everybody, or at least, the most intelligent ones, will say that's all there is to it. But there were french and good hockey players, there are right now and will be in the future.

As far as the risk involved, well as you know, there are risk involved from round 1 to 7 anglos, french, russians or whatever. Not sure why we'd need to analyse more the risk because he's french.

Not sure how it's more complicated really. Have at least the same number of permanent scouts in every region. Then, while you might prefer 1 guy to another, try that those guys have their say on whatever is going there. You can have 10 permanent scouts in the Q if you want, but if you do have them to shut people up and not care anyway what they have to say, it won't matter.

Also, I hope we stop with the draft. This is not the only way to do it. There are pro players that were available and would not have been a downgrade to our team even if they speak french. I will not believe that even now, Laperrière is that much of a downgrade on Moen. Can you imagine 5 years ago when he was available. And others like that.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 08-21-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old
08-21-2010, 12:28 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Well it all depends on who you're talking to. Seems that the stupid media want more Quebecers. Preferably french ones pure laine. Preferable that played in the Q. They would have takent Kevin Veilleux instead of PK Subban. I would definately NOT have.

I'm mostly going with the Q no matter the origin. But I do have an extra attention to Quebecers no matter from which region in Quebec they are from. BUT I WOULD NOT PICK JONATHAN BRUNELLE in the 2nd round 'cause he fits the french criteria. Talent and needs are #1 ahead of everything else. But when you're faced with a d-man so raw that you have no idea how it will turn out and a winger who has shown TREMENDOUS improvement in the past 2 years and alreadly looks way too talented for the league he's playing in in his draft year, to me that's a NO BRAINER. To me, as much as I have that fascination with big centerman, if you have to choose between a big centerman, yes, but by any means has no idea how to use that size, or a great all-around player even if they're playing in the same league, you go with the ones who not only has the tools but also know somehow to use them. And there are other examples like that.

It all comes down to what you do on the ice and not what you say between periods. Everybody, or at least, the most intelligent ones, will say that's all there is to it. But there were french and good hockey players, there are right now and will be in the future.

As far as the risk involved, well as you know, there are risk involved from round 1 to 7 anglos, french, russians or whatever. Not sure why we'd need to analyse more the risk because he's french.

Not sure how it's more complicated really. Have at least the same number of permanent scouts in every region. Then, while you might prefer 1 guy to another, try that those guys have their say on whatever is going there. You can have 10 permanent scouts in the Q if you want, but if you do have them to shut people up and not care anyway, it won't matter.

Also, I hope we stop with the draft. This is not the only way to do it. There are pro players that were available and would not have been a downgrade to our team even if they speak french. I will not believe that even now, Laperrière is that much of a downgrade on Moen. Can you imagine 5 years ago when he was available. And others like that.
Hey. By all means determine the real opportunities in your backyard. If it satisfies the "other criteria" for making up the team, no problems for me at all. I agree with what you are saying there.

But is it complicated? Well it seems to me in a situation where even if they did draft from the Q and there might be criticism because it might be somebody like say Nathan Beaulieu who plays in the Q but was born in Ontario and is English first language as far as I know. THAT to me is complicated. It sounds like folks might complain regardless of a "Q player" being identified as a bonifide prospect. Or do scouts have to do more than simply identify Q talent?

And now that I think about it. The term "Flying Frenchmen". It sounds like something an English journalist came up with. Not to mention "Frenchmen". The whole discussion seems ironic a few ways. Is there a Quebec equivalent to that moniker?

Old
08-21-2010, 12:43 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Hey. By all means determine the real opportunities in your backyard. If it satisfies the "other criteria" for making up the team, no problems for me at all. I agree with what you are saying there.

But is it complicated? Well it seems to me in a situation where even if they did draft from the Q and there might be criticism because it might be somebody like say Nathan Beaulieu who plays in the Q but was born in Ontario and is English first language as far as I know. THAT to me is complicated. It sounds like folks might complain regardless of a "Q player" being identified as a bonifide prospect. Or do scouts have to do more than simply identify Q talent?

And now that I think about it. The term "Flying Frenchmen". It sounds like something an English journalist came up with. Not to mention "Frenchmen". The whole discussion seems ironic a few ways. Is there a Quebec equivalent to that moniker?
What's really complicated actually is what the media are making of it depending of the situation. Like I said before, no media EVER would have cared about the Cédric Desjardins trade if we'd have alreayd 10 Quebecers on the team, that we would have drafted 3 of them in the past draft and would have invited 2 of them in our last camp. So your example of a Beaulieu for example, well it would be the same. He'd be not enough Quebecer for them depending if we have or not already enough Québécois.

Yes, some folks would complain. Like some people complained about Leblanc because he didn't play in the Q. Nobody knows that we drafted Paquet when we did 'cause he was playing in College. The media don't care 'cause they are too ignorant to do so.

And it also has to do A LOT with the quality of the player. I can tell you that in their mind, Sean Couturier Is a Quebecer. Now the same media have no idea who Beaulieu is. So at one point, they might have their own reservations when we'll draft him saying all that stuff you said.....but if he ends up doing great....don't worry....he'll be a Quebecer alright.......

I understand the complications you are talking about. Because there's so many opinions coming from a lot of dumbasses. So I guess it becomes less complicated when you actually try to go with the non-stupid ones. I personnally do believe in local flavour. I do not believe in having the "numbers" just for the fun of it.

What I'm more frustrated about than anything is that an organization like the Habs are surfing with this without saying a single word. The journalists and medias are allowed to be stupid 'cause there's actually noboyd who refutes their allegation. Then, their truth becomes THE truth. Believed then by stupid fans who unfortunately aren't rare amongst Habs fans. Then will become a distraction, a booing of a player when chosen a star, a mockery when he makes a save and the upcoming Halak chances when he'll give 1 goal in a row.

I REALLY don't understand how this organization doesn't see it. Most people in here, but I'm not talking about the extremists of both sides, the most reserved ones that believes somewhat in local but not detrimental to the talent, comes with the greatest arguments that would shut up most of the stupid media and would make understand to the fans a whole lot more than what's vehiculated right now. I missed the ******** comment from Gainey. I also miss the "crasse" from Melanson. While I do think you should do this every day, it comes a time when enough is enough. Clearly Gauthier doesn't seem to think it's important. I'll believe he'll learn it the hard way.

Old
08-21-2010, 01:26 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
What's really complicated actually is what the media are making of it depending of the situation. Like I said before, no media EVER would have cared about the Cédric Desjardins trade if we'd have alreayd 10 Quebecers on the team, that we would have drafted 3 of them in the past draft and would have invited 2 of them in our last camp. So your example of a Beaulieu for example, well it would be the same. He'd be not enough Quebecer for them depending if we have or not already enough Québécois.

Yes, some folks would complain. Like some people complained about Leblanc because he didn't play in the Q. Nobody knows that we drafted Paquet when we did 'cause he was playing in College. The media don't care 'cause they are too ignorant to do so.

And it also has to do A LOT with the quality of the player. I can tell you that in their mind, Sean Couturier Is a Quebecer. Now the same media have no idea who Beaulieu is. So at one point, they might have their own reservations when we'll draft him saying all that stuff you said.....but if he ends up doing great....don't worry....he'll be a Quebecer alright.......

I understand the complications you are talking about. Because there's so many opinions coming from a lot of dumbasses. So I guess it becomes less complicated when you actually try to go with the non-stupid ones. I personnally do believe in local flavour. I do not believe in having the "numbers" just for the fun of it.

What I'm more frustrated about than anything is that an organization like the Habs are surfing with this without saying a single word. The journalists and medias are allowed to be stupid 'cause there's actually noboyd who refutes their allegation. Then, their truth becomes THE truth. Believed then by stupid fans who unfortunately aren't rare amongst Habs fans. Then will become a distraction, a booing of a player when chosen a star, a mockery when he makes a save and the upcoming Halak chances when he'll give 1 goal in a row.

I REALLY don't understand how this organization doesn't see it. Most people in here, but I'm not talking about the extremists of both sides, the most reserved ones that believes somewhat in local but not detrimental to the talent, comes with the greatest arguments that would shut up most of the stupid media and would make understand to the fans a whole lot more than what's vehiculated right now. I missed the ******** comment from Gainey. I also miss the "crasse" from Melanson. While I do think you should do this every day, it comes a time when enough is enough. Clearly Gauthier doesn't seem to think it's important. I'll believe he'll learn it the hard way.
Fair observations.

I think the way I see it as a Habs fan from outside Quebec:

The Habs could (and should) do a better job finding and getting good Q steals. But frankly I think once they have satisfied that shortcoming, folks have to accept that sometimes the picks in question will not necessarily be francophone

On the other hand, no matter who they draft some faction will complain. That's okay too so long as the majority give credit for what the club does right (if in fact they get it right). In many respects the club will get tarred no matter what if they fail to build a winning team. Heaping artificial factors on top of the process pretty much guarantees perpetually moaning. Picking a winner is hard enough.

Somehow I suspect winning trumps everything else once it happens

Old
08-21-2010, 01:40 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

And that guy is no where to be found now.

@ Whitesnake. Yeah, Bourret was pretty weak, but the only other Q player to be drafted in the first round from Canada was Bourdon, who's from one of the maritime provinces, don't remember which.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote