HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Some news about Pacioretty

Old
08-20-2010, 09:11 PM
THE HOFF

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
It was about time they let him bulk up. I don't know who the hell told him to get slimmer last summer, but that might be one of the most stupid decisions taken last year by the front office. This guy needs to play a physical game to be effective.
he said he was not able to sustain the rythm in mtl and felt that playing more games meant he'd have to redirect his training to develop physical endurance rather than adding weight right away. He knew he would need to get that muscle mass eventually, which makes me respect even more the choice he made at the time. We are not in a hurry, he can take time and let his body adapt ... rush him for a year vs slowly getting up there at 23 or 24 and have a sustainable career ? Pretty easy choice if you ask me.

His scoring ability seems lower than what was expected of him ... this guy needs time.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 09:27 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
I was thinking this could be an awesome 3rd line, I'm also thinking...

Patches-----Eller----Pyatt (lots of speed on that line)
Moen ------ ???? ---- Lappy

??? Is intruiging

White
Trottier
Maxwell
Hmmm
I really doubt boyd will be scratched so...

Moen ------ boyd -------lappy

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 10:02 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I find Pierre Mcguire' comparison of pacioretty to mike mcphee to be almost spot on. When this guy fills out, he can be a force with his body.

Mcphee skated relatively well, and always finished his checks. If Pacioretty acquires Mcphee's mean streak and doesn't try to do too much, we have identical twins.

The biggest differences right now are that patches has more finesse to his game (although not seen at the nhl level), and isnt as mean.
Pacioretty has no mean streak whatsoever... Absolutely none. And this is what caracterized a player like McPhee. His mean streak and his grit.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 10:48 PM
Miller Time

We'll get a HUGE boost if MaxPac can step in and have a solid season...
~30 points while playing a solid forchecking role is what I'd be happy with, but if the kid manages to earn a spot next to Eller, and the two of them click, closer to 50 pts might not be impossible.

being reliable enough defensively that Martin is comfortable giving him 15-17 min/game would be key.

looking at the lineup, he has plenty of opportunity, and I'm sure he knows it. He's basically the first in line (assuming Eller is cemented into the 3rd line centre role) if one of our top 6 wingers get hurt, and otherwise he has every shot at winning a spot on the 3rd line.

now it's up to him to show how smart/focused he was last year, and how successful he'll be at improving the areas that need to improve to play "his" NCAA game at the NHL level.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 10:59 PM
DaHabMan

good to know that he's ready and healthy for the next season....he's one of my favorite young players and i want him to succeed...with us... But to all the posters who keep imagining him on the team, please stop it! This kid still is not ready and was RUSHED. He needs a full year of development in the Ahl. It'll do him some good. GIve him some confidence, further develop his skills by playing 20 min. per game or more, play in all situations and not get benched for making a mistake, play confident and not scared and especially develop his scoring touch. This kid went from ncaa to nhl. The jump is too high. Let him develop the way he should. Let him play his game and when he'll be ready, he'll be ready. And that's not now.

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 11:25 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Granted that McPhee had more grit than Max.

But MaxPac skating skills are better than McPhee.
Mike was fast in a corridor style.
Also Pacioretty has better hands.
yeah, which goes to show exactly how dissimilar they really are.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 01:06 AM
Habs

Quote:

Say what? How can you claim a kid that has proven nothing in the NHL has better hands, and skating, than Mike McPhee? Time will tell, but please stop downplaying just how good of a player MM was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I can't say I'm old enough or have watched enough old tapes where mcphee played, but if his game involved having a mean streak, I can't see patches ever getting there. He seems like a ***** cat to me.
Mike McPhee was vicious, he could hold his own against anyone, plus he had a wicked moustache.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 04:46 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousFan09 View Post
A minor bone fracture is still a fracture and inhibits everything a player can do at times, stickhandling and shooting are very precise activities and little things throw them off. Vincent Lecavalier's had multiple surgeries on his shoulders now, his goal scoring touch has been badly impacted because of it.

Yzerman played while grinding his ligaments on one knee in the Olympics and 2002 Playoffs. Some people will play through pain we can't even comprehend.
Perhaps, but a collarbone is, well, a bone. You can't play with a broken bone such as important as the collarbone. Some players will finish a game with a broken foot, but as soon as they take that foot out of the skate, it's over.
Players might finish a shift with a broken arm or hand, but once they get back to the bench and get it checked, they're gone.
Heck, fighters will go through a fight to the end even if they break their hand (break a leg and they quit though), but once the fight is over, they take months off to recuperate.

A hockey player cannot play with a broken collarbone, it's impossible. Do you understand that you can't even lift your arm when it's broken???..It's as if you're telling me you can play with a broken leg.
You simply can't.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 04:58 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Pacioretty has no mean streak whatsoever... Absolutely none. And this is what caracterized a player like McPhee. His mean streak and his grit.
I'm not willing to to say he has no mean streak just yet. When he's involved, he shows the potential to be that guy. When he's not confident and pressing (which has been seen in the majority of his nhl career), he looks like a completely different player.

I'd like to see him play when he feels more of a comfort zone at this level. I think we could see an aggressive pacioretty if not a mean one.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 07:34 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Say what? How can you claim a kid that has proven nothing in the NHL has better hands, and skating, than Mike McPhee? Time will tell, but please stop downplaying just how good of a player MM was.
Mike McPhee was dependable. He could bull his way past the opponents. If he had the puck in his own end he would get it up ice despite efforts to forecheck him. I wish the Habs had had someone like him in the series against the Flyers. They would have had more minutes in the offensive zone and more shots on goal.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 08:47 AM
kent_carlson

Quote:
Indeed, it is easier to compare Pacioretty to Tom Chorske.

kent_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 09:14 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
It was about time they let him bulk up. I don't know who the hell told him to get slimmer last summer, but that might be one of the most stupid decisions taken last year by the front office. This guy needs to play a physical game to be effective.
Maybe last year it was fat that he was losing?

I find it dumb to make a comment like that without knowing the facts.

Yes young NHLers need to get stronger, but it has to be muscle and done properly so they don't start handling the puck like agrenade either. Hockey is a lot more a game of skill and agility than bulk.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 09:25 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Bottom line, the Habs need to stop rushing this kid or he'll develop into a 4th liner who can score 5-7 goals a year. He needs to play AT LEAST a half year in hamilton and learn how to play a top 6 role and thrive in that role, learn how to drive the net and score goals...not just a guy that "not a liability" out there.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Mike McPhee was dependable. He could bull his way past the opponents. If he had the puck in his own end he would get it up ice despite efforts to forecheck him. I wish the Habs had had someone like him in the series against the Flyers. They would have had more minutes in the offensive zone and more shots on goal.
McPhee and Keane were two types of players every team wished they had, and I wish we still did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_carlson View Post
Indeed, it is easier to compare Pacioretty to Tom Chorske.
Actually that's a great point, and probably more accurate at this point.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 11:26 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

For me the problem with Patches is such:

Not reliable enough to play a defensive role, and doesn't have the puck skills to play on a scoring line. If he puts work in, that can change, and he does have size/speed combo that can't be taught.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 11:36 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I think you meant:

A guy looks up to makes his play on the break out (Pyatt, Patches on the forecheck), thinks he has three or four steps to make his play, looks down again, and then BOOOOOM they are now diamonds.

/old spice commercial joke

That guy could play on a line with Pyatt and Patches...
They would be so unpredictable.

The Chorske comparison is apt... McPhee, Gilchrist, Keane...
These are Habs players. Pacioretty is a throw back to that template.

He may take the worse end of a lot the hits now, but that will change as he gets more confident in himself at the NHL level. Very good prospect for us.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 02:02 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Mike McPhee was vicious, he could hold his own against anyone, plus he had a wicked moustache.
Dang right here he is tossing Kocur down like a rag doll.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 06:56 AM
Matteus

Quote:

I wouldn't call their styles similar but... I've always thought Max Pac had the tools to become a money player, a guy who'll stand out in the big games and the playoffs.

And McPhee certainly was that.

Matteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 08:21 AM
CanadienErrant*

It has been repeated over and over gain. But too bad Pac left College too early and dis not play al least a full AHL season before being called up.

Last year, they made a huge mistake by promoting him to a second line duty, and then, giving him less and less time on the 3rd, and 4th line, to finally send him down to Hamilton, where it took forever to regain his confidence. In the meantimme. they let Lats on the 3rd. played yo-yo with him, and ruined all his chances to prove anything in Montreal.

So, overall. the Habs lost TWO valuable assets in the process. One permenantly, the other one for a good while.

Players development is certainly not the forte of the Habs.

Hopefully, Subban was brought up the right way.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 08:36 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
True as far as the development of MaxPac is concerned. Though....I have to admit.....I'm guilty as well but I'll hide behind this: We didn't drafted, develop and had a prospect with such physical attributes and talent for a very long time, that we got all carried away...like we did with Lats. Though I would expect professionnals like the ones managing a team to look at that and deal with it better than we do. Especially when they just had an example of it in the past years.

Now, I have PLENTY of confidence in MaxPac. Call it the Wolverines bias, or whatever, if the kid can stay away from injuries, which is still to be proven, I still believe in top 6 material.

I'm not SOLELY bias for Q players....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 09:57 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

Glad to hear this, I am sure the injury hampered him quite a bit. Something to think about when criticizing our young players who struggle a little early in their careers.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 10:08 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
It has been repeated over and over gain. But too bad Pac left College too early and dis not play al least a full AHL season before being called up.

Last year, they made a huge mistake by promoting him to a second line duty, and then, giving him less and less time on the 3rd, and 4th line, to finally send him down to Hamilton, where it took forever to regain his confidence. In the meantimme. they let Lats on the 3rd. played yo-yo with him, and ruined all his chances to prove anything in Montreal.

So, overall. the Habs lost TWO valuable assets in the process. One permenantly, the other one for a good while.

Players development is certainly not the forte of the Habs.

Hopefully, Subban was brought up the right way.
I think he proved it to us in last year's playoffs. Look at how Cammalleri as taken him under his wings this summer. I think he realizes what a gem we have there!

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 10:10 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Now, I have PLENTY of confidence in MaxPac. Call it the Wolverines bias, or whatever, if the kid can stay away from injuries, which is still to be proven, I still believe in top 6 material.

I'm not SOLELY bias for Q players....
He's never put up 10 goals in a serious league. What makes you think he's top 6 material? I don't see him as a play maker either.

I just think Max really needs time to develop. The fact that he hid his injury and didn't tell people about it, hurt his development imo. However I really really like his current attitude. It gives me hope, it shows he has the hunger and desire, aka what it takes to succeed in this league.

I just hope they can give him some time in the AHL to truly develop his top 6 instincts, and let them form as habbits. Because a few months isn't enough imo when you then jump up to the show and are playing against much better players, its easy to lose that confidence.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 12:30 PM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
unless he comes out of the gates playing like a star, i rather send him to the ahl.. he needs to learn how to dominate and learn his strenghts in pro hockey.. his confidence is too easy to shatter. i love his confidence, but he will need to prove he can actually produce before i take the risk of ruin him for good.

Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote