HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010-11 Sens Breakout Player

Old
08-21-2010, 04:39 PM
This
That

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens16 View Post
Elliott for me 29-30 wins last year in his first full season. I feel that he can maybe reach 35-38 wins this year and hopefully 40.
That's quite a statement, I expect the goalies to either split the season, or Leclaire to be the #1. I wouldn't necessarily call it a break out year, considering his contract year in Columbus, but I think Leclaire will regain his form and come out as our hands down #1.

As for breakout year, Campoli if he plays the full season.

This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 04:45 PM
Yelnats Puc
Brust 'em up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
His head was too big & fat? Time to slim down that noggin.
His face was looking quite round throughout the season.

OK, that was a cheap joke.

Yelnats Puc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 04:51 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by This View Post
That's quite a statement, I expect the goalies to either split the season, or Leclaire to be the #1. I wouldn't necessarily call it a break out year, considering his contract year in Columbus, but I think Leclaire will regain his form and come out as our hands down #1.

As for breakout year, Campoli if he plays the full season.
Elliott was the #1 last year after Leclaire was injured and then simply outplayed him the rest of the way, being the team's best player over the course of the late win streaks.

What has changed? Not a whole lot. The former rookie, Elliott, has more experience and a grueling offseason training regime while Leclaire is out of shape and still has many health concerns.

To think that Elliott can't be the #1 on this team is foolish and reeks of a short memory.

Whoever has the better camp will get the chance to be the #1. Maybe that will be Leclaire but I wouldn't put money on it. Clouston has a lot more confidence in Elliott as we saw last season.

FolignoQuantumLeap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 04:58 PM
Sens16

Quote:
Originally Posted by This View Post

Well thats what people were saying last year Leclaire to be our number 1 and stand out. I see this year no different he has a history of injuries, and if he proves me wrong then thats better for the team.

Sens16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 07:09 PM
YellowPrelude

If Leclaire is healthy this year, He will be the number 1 goalie on this team but that's a BIG if. Elliott is a good backup.

YellowPrelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 07:58 PM
This
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Elliott was the #1 last year after Leclaire was injured and then simply outplayed him the rest of the way, being the team's best player over the course of the late win streaks.

What has changed? Not a whole lot. The former rookie, Elliott, has more experience and a grueling offseason training regime while Leclaire is out of shape and still has many health concerns.

To think that Elliott can't be the #1 on this team is foolish and reeks of a short memory.

Whoever has the better camp will get the chance to be the #1. Maybe that will be Leclaire but I wouldn't put money on it. Clouston has a lot more confidence in Elliott as we saw last season.
I don't have a short memory, in fact quite the opposite. I recall Leclaire playing poorly upon returning from injury, that's a given, but I also recall him coming into his own and showing why he should be the number one right before his first injury. He then regained form in the playoffs with a stellar showing. The common denominator being that it took time for him to find his form, after twice returning from injury (once right before the season started and then again after the Fisher incident).

So actually, I don't think him reclaiming the #1 spot is too far-fetched, however to say that he won't be training extremely hard over the summer most certainly is, especially since we have added a goalie coach who made a point of saying that he was going to work on his training and conditioning.

This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Flamingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens16 View Post
Well thats what people were saying last year Leclaire to be our number 1 and stand out. I see this year no different he has a history of injuries, and if he proves me wrong then thats better for the team.
Look closely.

Last year there was no goalie coach. Rick Walmsley was hired on this summer. In other threads, Walmsley's apparently said Leclaire's lack of conditioning was the problem for some of his injuries. Hopefully the coaching and training will help.

But you never know, he could be wildly inconsistent like he was last year. Hoping he improves, or returns to his Blue Jackets form, isn't blind faith.

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 08:23 PM
M4TR1X
SENSational User

I am going to agree with some of the other posters with 9MM. Milan Michalek is the man this year to rebound, but only if he stays healthy. That is my biggest concern. I was really stoked when I heard we got him in that Heatley trade because I thought he would turn out to be a great player.

Don't let me down, Michalek.

M4TR1X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 08:27 PM
Juvenators
Valley boiiiiii

Kinda tough call... most of our [anticipated] big minute eaters have been around long enough that we know what to expect, save Regin and Karlsson.

I'd have to go with Foligno, he should find himself playing pretty consistent top-6 minutes this season. He's a fun kid to watch, and you can tell he has alot in him, he just seems to play above his head too often.

I'm not so sure I'm expecting Regin to have a "breakout" season, I think he'll end up with ~20g and sound defensive play. While this is nothing to sneeze at, I can't see him decimating last season's numbers, nor do I expect he could improve that much elsewhere that it would overshadow that - Which is not a slight at him, he's just very solid all around already.

As for Karlsson, I think his numbers will improve a fair amount. I don't think this will be his "breakout" season though, this will just be another year picking up some new stuff to tie together in coming seasons. He has an unreal learning curve though, and could certainly do otherwise in the blink of an eye, I just see him as a guy that will take a bit more time to optimize what he knows. Of course the same could be said of almost any young defencemen..

As an aside, I think Smith will have a good season with us. I'm just not willing to call a rookie season a breakout season, not that I'm expecting a ****tonne of points.

Juvenators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Karlssonlee

Brian Lee,

He will be the 5th defenseman and see action in a top 4 role when injuries occur.

He will put up around 25 pts.

Karlssonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 09:28 AM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Chris Campoli
His defensive game seemed to be coming along last year, which was really the big thing holding him back. Camps has got a lot of the raw skills to be an above average offensive defenceman in this league, and he's been making a lot of progress. I don't think a big year is out of the question for him.

Bobby Butler
The kid's numbers are huge in the NCAA, even when you compare it to the NCAA numbers of guys like Toews and other NHL stars. It's a huge boom or bust gamble, but he's got an outside chance to become a late-blooming star in this league.

Maybe Foligno, maybe Lee, but I kind of doubt it from those guys. Regin and Karlsson I don't even put in this category because they're expected to break out.

That's about it, I guess.

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 12:13 PM
SENSational Sens Fan

Really hoping it's 9MM. That will make the Heatley trade look much more respectable.

SENSational Sens Fan is offline   Reply With Quote