HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Sign F Bill Sweatt to 3-Year ELC, $900k per ($300k bonuses) Deal

Old
08-21-2010, 12:48 PM
Wetcoaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Not going to get into a discussion of "who's prospects are better" but I think that last place ranking that other year is more of an indictment of previous Leaf management. A team that doesn't make the playoffs for several years *should* be better (on the farm). Instead, by my recollection (which could be off) - GM's like JFJ dealt away prospects for rentals (or other awful trades) just to try and "lurch into a playoff seed" (which he failed at in the end anyhow).

Seems like Burke has avoided this by actually going after college free agents in a very active mannger (heck knows why Burke avoided doing this as GM of the Canucks).
To be fair under the prior CBA there were many fewer NCAA free agents because of the way rights were handled.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 12:59 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
They have 50 contracts now.
Only if D'Amigo, Blacker, and Devane all play more than 10 NHL games this season.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 01:15 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
Only if D'Amigo, Blacker, and Devane all play more than 10 NHL games this season.
I can hear Burkie now:
D'Amigo, Blacker, and Devane will all play more than 10 NHL games this season.
Reminds me of:
Kevin Weekes is our Goalie of the Future.

Dave Gagner is the key to the Pavel Bure trade and if he was not included it was a deal breaker.

I'm thrilled to have Mike Keenan as my coach. It's not something that I am saddled with. It's something I have been blessed with.

"In Felix Potvin we have acquired a goaltender who I think is one of the better goaltenders in the NHL.''

"I have never been more embarrassed to work in the NHL as I was on July 1st and 2nd [2001]. I know we can't support the salaries. I know that some of the teams who have spent that money are doing it without the financial capability to pay the money. I'm running my business like a business. I'm going head-to-head with people who are crazy, as far as I'm concerned." -Vancouver Canucks GM Brian Burke, July 2001

I do not need a salary cap - I have one. It is called a budget.
So how do you know when Burkie is lying? His lips are moving. Sometimes the classics are the classics for good reason.

Old
08-21-2010, 01:37 PM
King of Anarchy

Sweatt on Twitter:

Quote:
Didn't even expect to be traded. Got caught off guard, but never declined Burke and Toronto's offer
Quote:
thank you. Like i said though man, it wasn't a diss at Toronto. Could of been there today if Burke didn't just yank the deal
Quote:
Appreciate it man. If only people knew what really happened and not what was released to the press
Quote:
that actually means a lot, most Leaf's fans are livid with me... I didn't even do anything... Very classy on your part
Quote:
this is for all Leafs Fans, I never turned down anything. Just wanted to wait to see how things shaked out with their trades - Then Burke yanked the deal. If he didn't there is a possibility I could have been a Leaf today
https://twitter.com/billysweatt

Basically, if you have any comments or questions for him, send them in and he'll probably respond.

King of Anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 01:57 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
# billysweatt

@Truenucksfan Not yet, I am going to Vancouver to meet everyone soon... maybe get more inclination then

@billysweatt Whats your plans now since you are a canuck?, have they told you what kind of role they want you too play?. thanks!

some new tidbits

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 02:02 PM
tantalum

It's almost as if there are two sides to every story! As with most things Burke the truth likely lies closer to the other guys story than his own.

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 02:07 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post
It's almost as if there are two sides to every story! As with most things Burke the truth likely lies closer to the other guys story than his own.
If was fairly obvious Burke just got impatient.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 02:22 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

He was asked about his hands on the nhl level, he said

Quote:
Have constantly worked on that for the past three summers... Going to continue to work on it to keep getting them better
Looks like he knows what he needs to improve on

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 02:33 PM
King of Anarchy

This guy is awesome. Maybe I'm biased because he responded to one of my tweets, but he's handling all of the negative comments from Toronto fans with nothing but class.

King of Anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 02:42 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post
Like this?
Quote:
Sweatt, however, declined to accept the Leaf offer, and instead an angry Leaf GM Brian Burke opted to sign German prospect Marcel Mueller. Sweatt is still unsigned, and Burke blamed his agent, Scott Norton, for the failed negotations.

“I believe a more experienced agent would have got this done,” he said.
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...arance-at-camp

At the NHLPA site:
Quote:
Agent:
Scott Norton

Company:
Norton Sports Management
550 North Kingsbury
Suite 620
Chicago, IL
UNITED STATES

Professional Credentials:
NHLPA Certified Agent since 1996. Agent for NHL Players since 1993.
http://nortonsports.com/company-bios/

A lot more years than Burke ever spent as an agent.

Old
08-21-2010, 02:48 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
If was fairly obvious Burke just got impatient.
Or stupid... mind you, kind of an-going condition for him.

Old
08-21-2010, 03:02 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Or stupid... mind you, kind of an-going condition for him.
Stroking the ego is hard when you have to deal with "people" and "agents" all the time.

Old
08-21-2010, 03:15 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Stroking the ego is hard when you have to deal with "people" and "agents" all the time.
Have you ever noticed it always the fault of the agent whenever negotiations do not go the way Burkie wants?

Old
08-21-2010, 03:18 PM
ProstheticConscience
WITNESS ME!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Have you ever noticed it always the fault of the agent whenever negotiations do not go the way Burkie wants?
Been that way for a while now. Not expecting it to change anytime soon. But then again, how many NHL GMs have ever publicly admitted they screwed up?

And kudos to Sweatt for actually taking the time to respond to people on twitter.

ProstheticConscience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 03:22 PM
ubiquitous
*shink*

It's interesting to see how blunt he's being on his Twitter account, I hope that it doesn't affect him negatively in the future, but it is refreshing to see the other side of the coin as far as his negotiations went.

ubiquitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 03:27 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubiquitous View Post
It's interesting to see how blunt he's being on his Twitter account, I hope that it doesn't affect him negatively in the future, but it is refreshing to see the other side of the coin as far as his negotiations went.
I don't see it affecting him. Once the players get focused on hockey they are surrounded by hockey people and the media/fan stuff goes away to some degree.

Old
08-21-2010, 03:51 PM
Wetcoaster

According to this report his contract is a three year ELC of $900,000 with additional performance bonuses.
Quote:
Bill Sweatt excited about prospects in Vancouver organization

Former Tiger forward Bill Sweatt is excited about his chances to advance in the Vancouver organization. Training camp opens next month.

His foray into free agency concluded Thursday when he signed a three-year, two-way deal for the entry-level maximum $900,000 with additional performance bonuses, according to his agent, Scott Norton. His pay depends on how much he plays in the NHL or with the Manitoba Moose of the American Hockey League.

“It was nice to finally get it done,” Sweatt said. “There wasn’t much difference in the (various) offers so the choice was more about the opportunity for me to play in the NHL in the next couple years. I don’t want to put any limitations on myself but it will be tough to crack the lineup (this fall) unless I have great camp.

“Vancouver is a first-class organization and they have a good development program in Manitoba.”
http://www.gazette.com/sports/first-...#ixzz0xH9kWLk6

Old
08-21-2010, 04:36 PM
forty47seven

Quote:
It's amazing. If you can say something with enough confidence, charisma and conviction, anything can sound true. It's the basis of Burke's success as an agent/GM. ...and anyone in the world of capital gains for that matter.

He makes reference to waiting "for their trades" as a reason for not signing right away. Is he referring to the Kaberle situation? Would a trade affect his decision to sign with Leafs? Kaberle staying or going does drastically change his situation. Something is strange about that... I'm probably reading too much into it.

forty47seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 04:42 PM
metric

Nevermind, found my answer

metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 05:47 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty47seven View Post
He makes reference to waiting "for their trades" as a reason for not signing right away. Is he referring to the Kaberle situation? Would a trade affect his decision to sign with Leafs? Kaberle staying or going does drastically change his situation. Something is strange about that... I'm probably reading too much into it.
my guess is that it was more excuse than reason.

the return for Kaberle could affect his situation, but I don't see it effecting it enough that he wouldn't go there if he wanted.

My guess is that it was an excuse that fit in perfectly with his actual intentions. Hitting UFA status on August 15th... coincidentally enough, this is also the deadline date for Kaberle being moved.

Given his situation in Chicago, his overall status under the CBA, giving him UFA status this year, and even Burke's reaction from the negotiations, I'm guessing that his top priority was hitting UFA status and Burke concluded the same - and didn't want to risk watching him walk away without signing another prospect in his spot, so he went after Mueller.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 05:54 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 20000
Whenever Gillis makes a new signing, I always go back to one of the first things I heard him say as the new Canucks GM...

Gillis (paraphrase): "We want to attract quality and class individuals to our team."

So far, I think he's held fairly true to his word. Looks like Sweat fits that mold too.

Chairman Maouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 05:58 PM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubiquitous View Post
He could be the next paul biznasty!

wholesickcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 05:59 PM
forty47seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
Whenever Gillis makes a new signing, I always go back to one of the first things I heard him say as the new Canucks GM...

Gillis (paraphrase): "We want to attract quality and class individuals to our team."

So far, I think he's held fairly true to his word. Looks like Sweat fits that mold too.
Sometimes I wonder if Gillis is a zombie. BRAINS! I WANT BRAINS!!! ...those bags under his eyes don't hinder the speculation.

forty47seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 06:03 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 20000
Quote:
Originally Posted by forty47seven View Post
Sometimes I wonder if Gillis is a zombie. BRAINS! I WANT BRAINS!!! ...those bags under his eyes don't hinder the speculation.
Yeah Christ I hope he's had a medical check-up recently to confirm he's human.

Chairman Maouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 06:07 PM
Balls Mahoney
SAVE US SVEN

Interesting how fast Bill Sweatt went out of sight out of mind over on the Leafs board.

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote