HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

All Habs-related Eklund rumours Part II

Closed Thread

Old
08-19-2010, 05:12 PM
habsfanwpg27*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
This was Montreal's roster 5 years ago. Do you REALLY think any GM would know what we needed in 5 years after looking at this roster? C'mon, and be honest
Goaltenders:

30 David Aebischer - gone
39 Cristobal Huet - gone
75 Yann Danis - gone
Defensemen

8 Mike Komisarek - gone
25 Mathieu Dandenault - gone
28 Todd Simpson - gone
32 Mark Streit - gone
44 Sheldon Souray - gone
51 Francis Bouillon - gone
52 Craig Rivet - A - gone
64 Jean-Philippe Cote - gone
79 Andrei Markov
Wingers

3 Raitis Ivanans - gone
20 Richard Zednik - gone
21 Christopher Higgins - gone
26 Pierre Dagenais - gone
27 Alexei Kovalev - A - gone
37 Niklas Sundstrom - gone
42 Alexander Perezhogin - gone
46 Andrei Kostitsyn
47 Aaron Downey - gone
73 Michael Ryder - gone
86 Jonathan Ferland - gone
Centres

11 Saku Koivu - C - gone
14 Radek Bonk - gone
22 Steve Begin - gone
35 Tomas Plekanec
38 Jan Bulis - gone
40 Maxim Lapierre
57 Garth Murray - gone
71 Mike Ribeiro -gone
wow..thats depressing.

Old
08-19-2010, 05:15 PM
neme6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
I don't understand what you mean by "stop all commercials"?
they were about to show commercials on television for the the new season, showing players, but they all stopped the commercials apparently!

Old
08-19-2010, 05:22 PM
vokiel
Registered Settler

Quote:
Originally Posted by neme6 View Post
they were about to show commercials on television for the the new season, showing players, but they all stopped the commercials apparently!
Oh you mean they pulled the ads out before the networks could show them? Is there really a connection with a trade or is it just because those were not that great? I know a lot of people ( specially fanatics ) tend to assume what they would like to hear/see from any given situation.

Old
08-19-2010, 05:31 PM
habfan1968

vCash: 50
Quote:
I have a friend who works for the habs organisation, and he told me yesterday that they stopped all commercials for the habs for a major trade, and he told me it was probably about Price! But this isn't official at all, but it would explain the reason why they got Rammo! If this is true though, then the habs really messed up the Price/Halak situation!

That is a pretty heavy statement right there! You got some back up, nothing online indicates anything like that is brewing, further, Ramo's agent has said his client is staying in the KHL this season so how is getting Ramo enabling a trade involving Price?

Old
08-19-2010, 05:38 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
I have a friend who works for the habs organisation, and he told me yesterday that they stopped all commercials for the habs for a major trade, and he told me it was probably about Price! But this isn't official at all, but it would explain the reason why they got Rammo! If this is true though, then the habs really messed up the Price/Halak situation!
Ummmm... No. Sorry sir, but you should get better friends.

Old
08-19-2010, 06:05 PM
Prendan Brust

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
I don't understand what you mean by "stop all commercials"?
TV advertisement

Old
08-19-2010, 08:10 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu
As a GM, one of the main difficulties faced is reconciling what you have on paper with what you can get out of them on the ice.
I would say that it's mostly an issue for the coach, but whatever.

Quote:
That's why things like an overall "vision" of type of game you want to play, and an understanding of the type of players you will need to fulfill each role are crucial when you're in charge of an organization that is constantly in competition for unproven assets (draft picks) and hoping to develop them into pieces that fit within the framework of the "style" you hope to employ on the ice.
Not sure where you are getting at but I don't disagree.

Quote:
As such, making a bunch of deals (no matter if "big" or "small") that seem to simply improve specific individual components of your team on paper, without necessarily having an idea of how they're expected to work within the great unit they are joining and contribute to overall "improvement" of the team's performance (especially/hopefully longer term than simply 1 year at a time),
First of all, the only thing you can do is improving individual components - you hire players, not roles. You hope the player you hire will fullfil the role you have in mind and where you have a need, but no player can completely "fit". It's absolutely no different than in a small business. As a CEO you'll identify roles you need to fulfill (I good salesman, an accountant, a receptionist, three guys who are going to build the widgets), but in the end, your accountant may need to help out the receptionist, only two of the three widget makers is any good, but thank god, your salesman is the best in the country. In the end, you always hire people, individually, with their talents and their baggage. It's very hard you have the opportunity to hire a lot of people in the same time: in the context of he habs, it happened last summer, and Gainey had the opportunity to acquire players who may be better together than taken individually (Gomez and Gionta for example). But again, this is exceptional.
And this summer acquisition certain "work" with the habs long term direction. Eller is a guy we've been looking for and who may be able to replace Gomez down the road. Pouliot is another kind of guy with potential we need but have trouble drafting. Boyd has untapped potential, but we got him mainly because he was the best return for Sergei, so it's not obvious if he really count. If the habs believed Desjardin would never make it, then it made sense for them to trade him as an asset for a guy with a higher, but unknown, upside.

Quote:
and taking the mindset that "oh well, if it doesn't work out, we can always try something else next year" aligns very closely with my idea of the mentality of a manager mode video game player who enjoys putting pieces together and hitting "simulate season" to see how it turns out.
I have no idea what's your talking about. There's always a possibility that a guy like Eller never pans out for whatever reason and never fulfill his role, but that's a given. Sure-fire superstar aren't available, or are too costly. Just like there's always a possibility that your new accountant sucks. Maybe you have a specific example in mind, because I just don't see what you mean here.
Quote:
Now, I didn't claim that this is exactly what PG is doing (nor could I, having never discussed his motivations at length personally with him), but I can still connect enough dots to say that it seems similar, to me.
Similar to what? You keep talking about videogames, but you have yet to define what you mean exactly by this comparison.
Quote:
This has nothing to do with the mindset of someone assuming the role of a GM in an XBox hockey game, where every team is always open to trading possibilities as long as you offer enough "value", and thus you don't have to consider whether you're "stuck" with the results of a move for multiple years because of being unable to simply go back into the "transactions" page and make a quick trade to "fix" it.
But you're the one who assume PG manage like a videogame, not me. Where did you get the idea that PG acts like " where every team is always open to trading possibilities as long as you offer enough "value", and thus you don't have to consider whether you're "stuck" with the results of a move for multiple years because of being unable to simply go back into the "transactions" page and make a quick trade to "fix" it."? Because he traded Desjardins? You can't be serious.

I'm personally damn happy PG is such a micromanager, because that's exactly what a franchise like us, who won't tank, needs. Out of the ten "minor" deals PG will do, one could turn into a steal. And we won't ever get this steal by hanging on players we had years to assess (Desjardin, S. Kostitsyn, D'Agostini) in the hope they don't turn into what you expect them to turn. You trade them and take a chance. Way better than letting assets you have no confidence in rot in the minor.

Quote:
But to address you're analogy, if you went back to get that Bachelor's degree in a dying field or one with extremely limited prospects for employment, then yes - you lacked long-term planning.
And who fits that analogy? Trading a guy like Desjardin isn't spending time on a Bachelor's degree, it's spending a few hours on a online quizz. It's a completely minor deal. Asset management, basically.

Old
08-19-2010, 08:30 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
How is getting Ramo NEXT YEAR any link to a Price trade NOW?

Old
08-19-2010, 08:37 PM
RE-HABS

If the Habs signed Niemi I think I would be a little more uneasy wondering if Price is being signed or traded. Ramo being traded for is to bring in a solid and young NHL ready 2nd string.

Old
08-19-2010, 09:01 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
lots of stuff
You're not following along, and I really don't feel the need to attempt to break it down into even more detail in the hopes that you'll understand my point of view... 'cause really, there's nothing to be gained from it.

Old
08-20-2010, 01:14 PM
sampollock

eck won't let the beiska deal die

Old
08-20-2010, 01:34 PM
Boulette Cannon

Ads were stopped!

Old
08-20-2010, 04:37 PM
habsfanwpg27*

So i'm going to play his game haha.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...t-at-5/1/29840

Hammer for Legwand.

I usually don't like making these speculation trades, but this one seems a bit interesting to me. Not really playing up to his potential or salary in Nashvile, but just may need a chance of scenery. If there is any truth to them wanting a veteran DMAN, well we have a few. Hes pretty fast, and can some add some size down the middle or wherever we would want to play him. Like I said earlier, its seems interesting.

Old
08-20-2010, 04:42 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanwpg27 View Post
So i'm going to play his game haha.

Hammer for Legwand.

I usually don't like making these speculation trades, but this one seems a bit interesting to me. Not really playing up to his potential or salary in Nashvile, but just may need a chance of scenery. If there is any truth to them wanting a veteran DMAN, well we have a few. Hes pretty fast, and can some add some size down the middle or wherever we would want to play him. Like I said earlier, its seems interesting.
If that happens, Toronto is more likely the destination. They want more centermen. And they have plenty of D's.

Old
08-20-2010, 04:47 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

legwand is not something we need.

Old
08-20-2010, 04:51 PM
the vinyl version

Quote:
It could come sooner, but the Devils still need to clear some space. Zubrus to Toronto/Montreal is out there.

Old
08-20-2010, 04:55 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

I find us getting any forward at this point to be pretty improbable. Unless it's like.. asham.

Old
08-20-2010, 08:33 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

To late He already signed with Pittsburgh . Eklund will find a way to bring him back to Montreal Regardless .

Old
08-21-2010, 08:25 AM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by the vinyl version View Post
Zubrus? God EK really does make things up!

Where would Zubrus play?

Gomez
Cammalleri
Gionta
AK
Pouliot
Eller
Plekanec
Pyatt
Lapierre
Moen
White

Old
08-21-2010, 10:57 AM
Felkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
Zubrus? God EK really does make things up!

Where would Zubrus play?

Gomez
Cammalleri
Gionta
AK
Pouliot
Eller
Plekanec
Pyatt
Lapierre
Moen
White
On the LW with G-Love () and Gio

Cammalleri-Pleky-A.Kost
Zubrus-Gomez-Gionta ( Devils connection )
Pouliot-Eller-Boyd ( young and talented )
Moen-Lapierre-Pyatt

Look great to me

Old
08-21-2010, 06:51 PM
sampollock

trade ak46

Old
08-21-2010, 07:05 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
trade ak46
I'm gonna go Ek on everyone and propose :

Hammer for Sullivan

Elias for AK46

Kovalchuk re-signs in Jersey

I should open my own 'insider's' blog

Old
08-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I'm gonna go Ek on everyone and propose :

Hammer for Sullivan

Elias for AK46

Kovalchuk re-signs in Jersey

I should open my own 'insider's' blog
Excellent, let me know where I can send my 20 bucks so that I can become a member.

08-21-2010, 07:38 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Excellent, let me know where I can send my 20 bucks so that I can become a member.
Here's the deal, you can have your 20$ back and keep your membership, if you find me 10 other people who'll take a membership.

Old
08-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Here's the deal, you can have your 20$ back and keep your membership, if you find me 10 other people who'll take a membership.
Haha, sounds like a plan.

Closed Thread