HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks Sign F Bill Sweatt to 3-Year ELC, $900k per ($300k bonuses) Deal

Old
08-21-2010, 06:20 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
Interesting how fast Bill Sweatt went out of sight out of mind over on the Leafs board.
Who?

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 07:18 PM
Soth

Interesting to see how candid Sweatt is - answer some questions you would expect him to ignore:

Truenucksfan "People say you have Lighting speed, but no hands. What would you say to people who say that. Have you improved on the hands?"

Sweatt "Have constantly worked on that for the past three summers... Going to continue to work on it to keep getting them better"

Soth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 07:32 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soth View Post
Interesting to see how candid Sweatt is - answer some questions you would expect him to ignore:

Truenucksfan "People say you have Lighting speed, but no hands. What would you say to people who say that. Have you improved on the hands?"

Sweatt "Have constantly worked on that for the past three summers... Going to continue to work on it to keep getting them better"
Apparently a bright guy (a plus in Gillis' books - see Oreskovich, Victor) and he sounds coachable. It will be interesting to see how he works with Glenn Carnegie, the Canucks' skills coach who did excellent work with Raymond and Grabner.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 08:19 PM
MS

The thing about the whole situation is that Chicago fans absolutely do have reason to be pissed off about it. The guy was a local product who they invested a high pick in, and then they couldn't sign him.

Leaf fans? Not so much.

Trade for a guy a month before he becomes an UFA, and expect he won't test the market? Good luck.

And of course Burke starts spewing rubbish, as usual, when he makes a mess of things.

I guess claiming that 'we signed two guys with #1 pick value as college UFAs so we can afford to trade two #1 picks for Kessel' was swallowed up by the Leaf fanbase, so he tried it again with 'we signed another prospect so we didn't need Sweatt'. Which is of course a load of manure.

Burke has become such a joke. The whole situation in Toronto is a car crash you can't avert your eyes from.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 08:21 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
The thing about the whole situation is that Chicago fans absolutely do have reason to be pissed off about it. The guy was a local product who they invested a high pick in, and then they couldn't sign him.

Leaf fans? Not so much.

Trade for a guy a month before he becomes an UFA, and expect he won't test the market? Good luck.

And of course Burke starts spewing rubbish, as usual, when he makes a mess of things.

I guess claiming that 'we signed two guys with #1 pick value as college UFAs so we can afford to trade two #1 picks for Kessel' was swallowed up by the Leaf fanbase, so he tried it again with 'we signed another prospect so we didn't need Sweatt'. Which is of course a load of manure.

Burke has become such a joke. The whole situation in Toronto is a car crash you can't avert your eyes from.
The best part is that the car's passengers are convinced that they're still rolling along, right on schedule.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 08:44 PM
forty47seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
The best part is that the car's passengers are convinced that they're still rolling along, right on schedule.
Burkie's in it to win NOW! I predict Toronto finishes 8th next season. They've got some players. Book it!

{In the draft lottery}

forty47seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 08:51 PM
denkiteki

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty47seven View Post
Burkie's in it to win NOW! I predict Toronto finishes 8th next season. They've got some players. Book it!

{In the draft lottery}
Or finish last and give the 1st overall pick to Boston. Then the year after finish 9th and 17th in the league when they actually own their own 1st.

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 08:56 PM

In a sort-of defense of Toronto fans, I recall thinking that Burke was a "great GM" when he was here,
because his Kool-ade was righteous stuff. The fact that he basically lost the Canucks a first-round pick when his vaulting ego was rumpled a bit by Umberger . . . that was a clear indication that he was temperamentally unfit for his job. But it was so hard to see that, at the time, through his intoxicating smoke. I think most of us fell for his act, and were shocked when he was fired. I was, anyway.

So I cut the Leafs fans a lot of slack, now that they're getting fu cked over yet again by our castoff garbage (Nonis included). Hmmmm . . . didn't they get our fired Pat Quinn before Burkie? How did he turn out in Toronto?

The Leafs fans have razzed us for picking up their scraps like Sundin, Welly, and Rayzer, but oh god a couple of failed GMs have so much more power to wreck a team than the odd short-term player does!

Eventually the good folks in Toronto will wake up, and offer to drive Burke to the airport. But by then--according to his long history here, and his implacable personality--a lot of damage will have been done to an already compromised organization. Toronto fans are good, loyal people, and I feel the pain that I know is coming, but they don't, quite yet.

701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 09:05 PM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 View Post
In a sort-of defense of Toronto fans, I recall thinking that Burke was a "great GM" when he was here,
because his Kool-ade was righteous stuff. The fact that he basically lost the Canucks a first-round pick when his vaulting ego was rumpled a bit by Umberger . . . that was a clear indication that he was temperamentally unfit for his job. But it was so hard to see that, at the time, through his intoxicating smoke. I think most of us fell for his act, and were shocked when he was fired. I was, anyway.

So I cut the Leafs fans a lot of slack, now that they're getting fu cked over yet again by our castoff garbage (Nonis included). Hmmmm . . . didn't they get our fired Pat Quinn before Burkie? How did he turn out in Toronto?

The Leafs fans have razzed us for picking up their scraps like Sundin, Welly, and Rayzer, but oh god a couple of failed GMs have so much more power to wreck a team than the odd short-term player does!

Eventually the good folks in Toronto will wake up, and offer to drive Burke to the airport. But by then--according to his long history here, and his implacable personality--a lot of damage will have been done to an already compromised organization. Toronto fans are good, loyal people, and I feel the pain that I know is coming, but they don't, quite yet.
The fans of Toronto sports teams have been screwed over royally by people who have been heralded the saviour of the team upon their arrival.

Burke is just one of them, but Bryan Colangelo and JP Riccardi strike me a two recent examples of what have contributed to Toronto being the city of losers.

But I'll shut up about Toronto sports before it gets way too off topic.

One last thing though... I'm really glad we have the Marlies here, I can't wait to watch the Moose come to town this year with a lot of our prospects (esp. now the Sweatt brothers) playing key roles on the team.

KDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 09:27 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
I don't see it affecting him. Once the players get focused on hockey they are surrounded by hockey people and the media/fan stuff goes away to some degree.
I think he meant that he hoped it wouldn't negatively affect his image in the eyes of other GM's or players by being so honest about the contract negotiations. IMO it shouldn't matter that much.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 10:13 PM
Soth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Apparently a bright guy (a plus in Gillis' books - see Oreskovich, Victor) and he sounds coachable. It will be interesting to see how he works with Glenn Carnegie, the Canucks' skills coach who did excellent work with Raymond and Grabner.
I don't think I would ever call myself a big fan of any GM before, but the stuff Gillis has been doing is making me a bigger fan of him than almost any player on the team.

I'm hoping that Oreskovich becomes the player I'd always hoped Bernier would be.

Soth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 10:57 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soth View Post
I don't think I would ever call myself a big fan of any GM before, but the stuff Gillis has been doing is making me a bigger fan of him than almost any player on the team.

I'm hoping that Oreskovich becomes the player I'd always hoped Bernier would be.
Rather than playing the "high hopes" game, like was done with Bernier, I'm just hoping that Oreskovich builds on his last year and finds enough of an offensive game to be a 7-10G guy who hits everything and won't hesitate to stand up for his teammates. Anything at all beyond that is complete bonus territory, especially for a guy who is a season removed from 2 years of quitting hockey.

Old
08-21-2010, 10:57 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:

Leaf fans? Not so much.

The Hawks were not prepared to offer him a max ELC deal and since he finished four years at college why would he not wait a couple of months and test the UFA waters?

He owed nothing to the Hawks, or the Leafs for that matter.

Old
08-22-2010, 12:03 AM
MS

Quote:
The Hawks were not prepared to offer him a max ELC deal and since he finished four years at college why would he not wait a couple of months and test the UFA waters?

He owed nothing to the Hawks, or the Leafs for that matter.
If the Canucks invested a #38 overall pick in a local kid from Coquitlam and he spurned our contract offers to sign with one of our biggest rivals in Chicago, people here would be pissed at that player.

I realize that the Hawks didn't make him a huge offer, but the point holds. I'm not saying he didn't have the 'right' to test UFA (that said, the rule that allowed him to become an UFA in the first place is a stupid loophole that should never be there), but that the fans have a right to be pissed off at the player. And they do.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 12:05 AM
ProstheticConscience
Seeing is believing

vCash: 883
Quote:

Leaf fans? Not so much.

Well, Chicago fans are a rather happier lot than Leafs fans these days. Not really hard to imagine why. They can afford to be gracious.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 12:44 AM
Balls Mahoney
The Tryamkin Era!!!

I honestly have no idea why I was defending Brian Burke earlier this off-season. Burke has done some good things, but his Maple Leaf experience has been a train wreck so far. This Bill Sweatt drama has been hilarious.

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 12:53 AM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

If Burke just used an offersheet for Kessel, Traded Kaberle for Ribiero Toronto would still be on track for a decent retool.

Phaneuf, Kessel and Ribiero + 2nd (the offered deal) + their '11 1st round pick. Looks so much better.

The Sweatt drama isn't a big deal.

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 01:57 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 View Post
I
The Leafs fans have razzed us for picking up their scraps like Sundin, Welly, and Rayzer,
lol....what razzing about Raycroft?

Which team gave up a real starting goalie like Rask for Raycroft?

Which team picked up essentially half his salary while playing for the Canucks last season?

Last edited by Barney Gumble: 08-22-2010 at 02:02 AM.
Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 03:20 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
If the Canucks invested a #38 overall pick in a local kid from Coquitlam and he spurned our contract offers to sign with one of our biggest rivals in Chicago, people here would be pissed at that player.

I realize that the Hawks didn't make him a huge offer, but the point holds. I'm not saying he didn't have the 'right' to test UFA (that said, the rule that allowed him to become an UFA in the first place is a stupid loophole that should never be there), but that the fans have a right to be pissed off at the player. And they do.
Why? What did the Hawks do other than draft him?

Often teams do not offer draft picks contracts, should fans be upset on behalf of the player so spurned?

Old
08-22-2010, 03:38 AM
ZyggZagg

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
I honestly have no idea why I was defending Brian Burke earlier this off-season. Burke has done some good things, but his Maple Leaf experience has been a train wreck so far. This Bill Sweatt drama has been hilarious.
Yeah. I used to quite like Burke. I liked how he got the Sedins, and I liked how he got Bure, but I can't really think of anything else...

ZyggZagg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 03:52 AM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZyggZagg View Post
Yeah. I used to quite like Burke. I liked how he got the Sedins, and I liked how he got Bure, but I can't really think of anything else...
He once told me I was a very good backwards skater when I was 8 years old. That has to count for something.

Old
08-22-2010, 04:39 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Why? What did the Hawks do other than draft him?

Often teams do not offer draft picks contracts, should fans be upset on behalf of the player so spurned?
I agree with this.

Hawks fans seem to think the Hawks invested a lot in Sweatt... but they didn't... Sweatt was never on their AHL affiliate and was never developed by the Hawks.

I don't know if this was Sweatt's decision or the Hawks, but even if Sweatt decided to play out his NCAA career to finish school then Hawks should have been fine with a max ELC on a 38th overall pick who would be on their farm club regardless...

Old
08-22-2010, 05:42 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by quysauce View Post
If Burke just used an offersheet for Kessel, Traded Kaberle for Ribiero Toronto would still be on track for a decent retool.

Phaneuf, Kessel and Ribiero + 2nd (the offered deal) + their '11 1st round pick. Looks so much better.

The Sweatt drama isn't a big deal.
Sweatt drama isn't even a drama.

A bunch of crazy leaf fans gettting annoyed over trading for UFA negotiating rights and that player walking away.

A bunch of crazy canucks fans trying to make it out to be some massive blow to Leafs/Burke.

Leafs got Mueller, solid pick up. .....but but but Leafs could have had Mueller and Sweatt....
that's true but Nucks/Gillis could have had Mueller and Sweatt too....

Leafs signed one we signed the other. Both teams should be happy.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 05:45 AM
Bismuth

vCash: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Leafs signed one we signed the other. Both teams should be happy.
Neither team's fans will ever be happy.

Last edited by Bismuth: 08-22-2010 at 05:52 AM.
Bismuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 07:53 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismuth View Post
Neither team's fans will ever be happy.
I'm happy.