HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL.com-Tallon-We Have Interest In Niemi

Old
08-20-2010, 06:27 PM
CoolburnIsGone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
he's a friggen rookie - he has no say in who his competition should be, as hyped as he is. if you're going to give in to his ego before he's proven himself for a second as an NHLer, you're setting an awfully bad precedent for the future. Tallon is smarter than that.

It's not like Niemi is Henrik Lundqvist. If Markstrom plays up to his ability, he'll take the job. Point is, he will have to earn it.
I understand how you feel but thats not reality unfortunately. Look at what happened with JayBo and by not stroking his ego (by just taking him #1 overall instead of trading down) did to the org. Starting off on the wrong foot with an elite prospect can basically just doom the relationship between the player and the organization.

Markstrom already feels like he's NHL ready but I'm sure he understands that he'll have to earn the job too. But with Vokoun here, I think he realizes that he wont have to wait long regardless for that job. If they brought in Niemi and he does play well, Markstrom may feel like he's not appreciated by the org and would have to wait longer so he could just demand a trade and/or go back to Europe. In this situation, the player has a lot of control over how things progress in terms of the position he plays and the success of the club.

CoolburnIsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 07:06 PM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
Vancouver has played terribly against Chicago. Loungo especially. San Jose is a known playoff choker. They were swept for crying out loud.
luongo's play has no effect on niemi's play. regardless of playoff reputations, they still have marleau, thornton, heatley, etc. on that squad and niemi was a HUGE reason they were swept - he outplayed nabokov by leaps and bounds. in fact, that was probably the biggest reason of all - goaltending. nabokov stunk and niemi played exceptionally well.

Quote:
Are the Panther going to be contenders in the next couple-three years? Absolutely not. Stick it out with Clemmensen and Markstrom as a tandem until Markstrom is ready (or get another stopgap if it takes Markstom past Clemmensen's deal), and in the meantime, stockpile picks and prospects. There is just no reason to upgrade the goaltending at this point in time. Just keep the team the way it is, get 1st overall next year, see how Markstrom does, and then go from there. Our long term "solution" for goaltending is Markstrom. We don't need to carry out a backup plan until we know Markstrom isn't going to work out.

this makes no sense. you're admitting we are upgrading, yet you say it doesnt make sense? what do we lose? $800k in cap space we arent even going to use? for all we know - niemi could come in here, play great and you have another elite asset to trade two years from now when markstrom is truly ready. you know that sure as hell ain't going to happen with clemmensen. again, what do we have to lose?

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 07:09 PM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
I understand how you feel but thats not reality unfortunately. Look at what happened with JayBo and by not stroking his ego (by just taking him #1 overall instead of trading down) did to the org. Starting off on the wrong foot with an elite prospect can basically just doom the relationship between the player and the organization.

Markstrom already feels like he's NHL ready but I'm sure he understands that he'll have to earn the job too. But with Vokoun here, I think he realizes that he wont have to wait long regardless for that job. If they brought in Niemi and he does play well, Markstrom may feel like he's not appreciated by the org and would have to wait longer so he could just demand a trade and/or go back to Europe. In this situation, the player has a lot of control over how things progress in terms of the position he plays and the success of the club.
whatever. if markstrom is that delicate he may not become what we expect anyway. jaybo is a primadonna and there's reason why he has been a huge disappointment in calgary.

what you're saying is the panthers should just hand markstrom the starters role with no insurance policy and that's just stupid. it can backfire in so many ways. injury (dan blackburn, anyone?) included. niemi isn't henrik lundqvist. if markstrom plays up to his ability, he'll have the #1 job. he's the more talented netminder. if he's such a primadonna where he's against internal competition he wont be here long anyway....he's not martin brodeur.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 01:37 AM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
whatever. if markstrom is that delicate he may not become what we expect anyway. jaybo is a primadonna and there's reason why he has been a huge disappointment in calgary.

what you're saying is the panthers should just hand markstrom the starters role with no insurance policy and that's just stupid. it can backfire in so many ways. injury (dan blackburn, anyone?) included. niemi isn't henrik lundqvist. if markstrom plays up to his ability, he'll have the #1 job. he's the more talented netminder. if he's such a primadonna where he's against internal competition he wont be here long anyway....he's not martin brodeur.
Well most goalies are prima donnas so its not a shock to me that Markstrom wants to be "THE" guy. But I dont think he has a problem with competition. I just think it would not be good for any of Markstrom, Niemi or the Panthers org to have those 2 compete for the job. Until you see what Markstrom does in North America, I dont think its smart to sign anyone TBH.

And I actually like that Tallon isnt grabbing any of the guys he had in Chicago at all, especially with several available on the trade market...seems like he's starting fresh and leaving that behind. I'd rather him do that too since he did have some bad contracts/mistakes there and I think he's learned his lesson from it.

The fact that Niemi is still available should say something though. He probably wants more than most teams are willing to pay in salary. And there's more than enough starting caliber goalies available and/or those jobs have already been filled that I'm betting he ends up having to go overseas, kinda like how Emery had to do it. Guys like Emery and Theodore are still available right now along with Niemi so it just shows you that unless he takes something around $1.25M max, he wont be playing in the NHL.

As far as an insurance policy, there's plenty of that available with free agency (8-9 starting caliber guys will be available next offseason as UFAs), prospects in the system like Salak and Cheverie, and there's always the possibility of trades too (goalies seem to be available for cheap on the trade market). I'm not worried too much about an insurance policy and its so funny you keep saying that Niemi isnt Lundqvist when the one guy that Markstrom is compared to is Lundqvist. Even if he doesnt live up to that hype, he still should be good enough as a starter. And we're still drafting (Sam Brittain) and developing goalies (Cheverie, etc) so why do we need another goalie brought in?

CoolburnIsGone is offline   Reply With Quote