HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Another Rules Change Thread

Old
08-20-2010, 03:03 PM
darrenturcotte#8

vCash: 500
The only rule that should 100% be changed is the one that won't be. Regulation wins should be 3 points if an OT loss gets you 1. Unfortunately, the current system creates parity which creates closer playoff races which sells a lot more tickets league-wide...

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 03:15 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
I agree, but putting a difference in points between a W (3) and OTW (2) will also have teams work harder to earn that extra point as well, keeping the end of a tied game competitive. And by making OT points-wise 2-1 instead of 3-0, that "banked" point is more like a "stolen" point for not winning the game in regulation.
Yeah I see what you're saying. I just have less faith in coaches to take a chance when something free is on the line.

(Not that I blame them for their conservatism. Lord knows, their neck is always first into the guillotine.)

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 10:10 PM
94now

Let's get 3 points for the 60 min win as a first step, the rest will be worked out after. Regulation win should be rewarded.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 06:39 AM
Maineice11

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
I did not see this posted, but TSN is reporting there is going to be a rule change in tie breakers. The first tie breaker was total wins, now it will only include wins in regulation and OT, shootout wins will not count as part of the tie breaker.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=331308
Quote:
The NHL will change its regular-season tiebreaking system for the 2010-11 season, ESPN.com reported Saturday.

The first tiebreaker will be a combination of regulation time and overtime victories, with shootout wins excluded, according to the online report.

In the past, the first tiebreaker had been total wins of any kind.

Columbus Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson proposed the change at the general managers meetings in March.

The league's board of governors and competition committee both voted to implement the change for the upcoming season, a source told ESPN.

The league is making the adjustment to give more weight to victories gained in some form of team play, rather than by shootout.

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 08:56 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineice11 View Post
shootout wins will not count as part of the tie breaker.
Good start. Shootouts should be de-valued.

Ridiculous is the idea that you earn the same points for winning a skills competition that you do for winning by actually ... you know ... playing hockey.

Old
08-22-2010, 09:10 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Good start. Shootouts should be de-valued.

Ridiculous is the idea that you earn the same points for winning a skills competition that you do for winning by actually ... you know ... playing hockey.
Which is why this rule change seems like only half a step in the right direction. The new CBA should just do away with shootouts altogether. The novelty and excitement wore off long ago. For me personally, a shootout is the least exciting way to end a game.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 09:21 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
Which is why this rule change seems like only half a step in the right direction. The new CBA should just do away with shootouts altogether. The novelty and excitement wore off long ago. For me personally, a shootout is the least exciting way to end a game.
Agreed on everything. It would only be a start for me, but I think the league has no interest in eliminating shoot-out. You won't see it happen, not least because in our soundbite/vidbite society, the shoot-out is the perfect way to market the game to non-fans.

In other words, ESPN will show very little on hockey. They will show shoot-out clips though.

(Hooray for revenue streams. )

Old
08-22-2010, 09:37 AM
Blueblood 2

Outlaw dump and chase and Redden will make the all Star team!

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 09:59 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

-Use Olympic goaltender protection rules.

-Bigger creases for more goaltender protection.

-No more trapizoid.

-Commit offsides and faceoff in your zone.

-Faceoff dots down center of the ice, no longer on side boards.

-Ice markings in front of benches for line changes.

-Call icing on shorthanded teams.

-No hybrid icing, don't want ref-discretion. Either auto-icing. Or touch up.

-NO MORE LOSS POINT. W-3/OTW-2/SOW-1.

-NO MORE STUPID 5 MIN 4v4 OT. 5v5, 10 minutes OT.

-NO MORE INSTIGATOR RULE. Awful rule.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 10:14 AM
Maineice11

Quote:
Agreed on everything. It would only be a start for me, but I think the league has no interest in eliminating shoot-out. You won't see it happen, not least because in our soundbite/vidbite society, the shoot-out is the perfect way to market the game to non-fans.

In other words, ESPN will show very little on hockey. They will show shoot-out clips though.

(Hooray for revenue streams. )
I agree ESPN should show more NHL highlights, but I don't blame them for not showing much since the NHL went to Versus to broadcast their games and entry draft, instead of staying with ESPN. Versus is really such a huge joke of a television station. If they renew the contract one more time with versus I will flip, if the nhl wants to get anywhere they need to be on ESPN!! I think the contract is up after this season and hopefully bettman doesn't do something stupid like normal and stay with versus!

Old
08-22-2010, 10:48 AM
dedalus

Quote:
I agree ESPN should show more NHL highlights, but I don't blame them for not showing much since the NHL went to Versus to broadcast their games and entry draft
If they're only in this to make money, sure, but they brand themselves "The Worldwide Leader in Sports." If you want to brand yourself that way, you offer good news coverage of all sports, no matter their broadcast affiliation.

Frankly, ESPN has acted in a petty manner. They tried to dictate a grotesque deal to the NHL, and when the league made the simple business decisoin to get a better contract eslewhere, ESPN went off in a sulk. The fact is, ESPN was not offering such unbelievable service that the league should have felt obliged to stay with the network no matter the terms. Ratings sagged after 1994 and ESPN made it clear that the NHL would always fall behind: the NBA, MLB, the NFL, college football, college basketball, and auto racing.

OLN promised to make the league a priority, and they did. They're being rewarded for that decision now, as the playoff ratings show.

Quote:
Versus is really such a huge joke of a television station.
At one time, yes. Not so much anymore as their ratings have been rising. They established new network highs last playoffs, and the first two rounds were the highest rated by Nielsen since 1994, so that includes the ESPN years.

Quote:
if the nhl wants to get anywhere they need to be on ESPN!
Meh. In the 90s, ESPN couldn't make non-NHL fans into NHL fans. Fox couldn't do it, either. I doubt any network can. Honestly I don't think there's an "anywhere" substantial for ice hockey, so the league should be looking for a partner that offers the fairest combination of shared revenue and creditable coverage.

Old
08-22-2010, 12:41 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

A 3-point regulation win solves a lot.

It makes perfect sense. You don't even have to change the OT/SO config.

Why punish teams that win in regulation?

Regular season games will be more competitive/exciting overall.

The current system is bogus/padded/supplemented and it further dilutes competition.

in a 3-point reg win system the best teams rise to the top quickly. It will expose weaker teams for what they are. (Rangers?)

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 05:33 AM
Maineice11

Quote:
At one time, yes. Not so much anymore as their ratings have been rising. They established new network highs last playoffs, and the first two rounds were the highest rated by Nielsen since 1994, so that includes the ESPN years.
Of course they have good ratings, that is not really a surprise since any game televised on VS normally is blacked out on every other station. Every game on Versus the commentators are awful, every game thread has a lot of us complaining about it and the video is not as good as MSG Network not just the quality but also the angles and how they show it. I want to see the game just like everyone so most of us now mute the game and turn on the radio now I'm getting closer to just listening to the radio for the games because VS is so awful. If you go back to any game thread where the game was on VS you will see what I am talking about. And the last All Star Competition they aired well in the middle of the continuous 3 on 3 young stars they showed replays while the play was going on and you missed almost every goal you could hear them score, but couldnt see it so they had to do another replay and then you missed another goal, I mean c'mon you can't possibly tell me you enjoy that??? It is just sickening, VS needs to stick to what they can handle and it is not hockey, not one bit.

Old
08-23-2010, 11:45 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Of course they have good ratings, that is not really a surprise since any game televised on VS normally is blacked out on every other station.
That was true of ESPN as well. The point is, no matter your personal feelings about their ability to broadcast a game, their viewership is growing to the point that it can displace viewing records once held by ESPN hockey broadcasts.

I understand that you don't like the network, but their numbers show they're not a joke. You'd better believe that part of the reason ESPN is looking to get the NHL back is because Versus is showing success with the product.

Quote:
Every game on Versus the commentators are awful, every game thread has a lot of us complaining about it and the video is not as good as MSG Network not just the quality but also the angles and how they show it. I want to see the game just like everyone so most of us now mute the game and turn on the radio now
You don't like the broadcast quality. That's certainly fair but as I said, their numbers are growing, so they're obviously not driving viewers away. Quite the reverse.

Old
08-23-2010, 11:54 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I like the proposal to change sides in OT. The long bench change will create a lot of scoring chances in OT 4-4. And if they are going to go with a shootout win stat separate from regulation wins, I think they should make a SOW only worth 1 point but count for the tie-breaker aspect of rankings as I think they intend to do. That will make the OTW mean that much more and end the BS of coasting in OT just so you can win it in the SO. Get rid of the OTL point too. 3 point win system would work too but I'm not sure I want to go that far.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote