HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Line Combinations: Mike Richards' Left Wing

View Poll Results: First Line LW?
Dan Carcillo 18 16.98%
Nikolai Zherdev 40 37.74%
James van Riemsdyk 38 35.85%
Claude Giroux 5 4.72%
Jeff Carter 4 3.77%
Ville Leino 1 0.94%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-22-2010, 11:49 AM
jb**

vCash: 500
Maybe Pat Maroon. He is one of the flyers better prospects. He has a great shot to make the team this year. He just needs an opportunity.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 11:57 AM
Start Leighton*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Maybe Pat Maroon. He is one of the flyers better prospects. He has a great shot to make the team this year. He just needs an opportunity.
Carter Richards Giroux Leino Hartnell Briere JVR Z and Carcillo that is the top 9.

Lappy Betts and Powe/Superstar is your 4th line hopefully Powe cause he can actually PK. There just isn't room for Maroon.

Start Leighton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 12:05 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by xchrisx159 View Post
Carter Richards Giroux Leino Hartnell Briere JVR Z and Carcillo that is the top 9.

Lappy Betts and Powe/Superstar is your 4th line hopefully Powe cause he can actually PK. There just isn't room for Maroon.
If he earns his spot on the team he will make it. The wont keep him down if he plays lights out. He is going to make it tough for them. He is going to come to camp in great shape. He will be focused. There is a spot in the top 9 for him to take if he wants it that bad. Carcillo can easily be outplayed for that spot. Do i need to use the sarcasm smiley?

Old
08-22-2010, 12:22 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Why isn't Hartnell a choice?

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
If he earns his spot on the team he will make it. The wont keep him down if he plays lights out. He is going to make it tough for them. He is going to come to camp in great shape. He will be focused. There is a spot in the top 9 for him to take if he wants it that bad. Carcillo can easily be outplayed for that spot. Do i need to use the sarcasm smiley?
It's going to be pretty funny to read your posts when Maroon doesn't even come close to making the team out of camp. He had as many goals playing for the Phantoms as Carcillo did playing for the Flyers last year. There's no room for him in our top 9, give me a break.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 03:17 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
It's going to be pretty funny to read your posts when Maroon doesn't even come close to making the team out of camp. He had as many goals playing for the Phantoms as Carcillo did playing for the Flyers last year. There's no room for him in our top 9, give me a break.
He is the flyers top offensive prospect. He was hurt last year. The orginization really likes him. The GM speaks very highyl of him and has even said he has a shot to make the team.

Old
08-22-2010, 03:25 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Believe it or not, I'm going to defend NWO on this one.

Just let me point out really quickly that never would I expect NWO to say that Maroon has a shot at anything.

Anyway, claiming that Maroon had as many goals with the Phantoms as Carcillo had with the Flyers is a little unfair. What you seem to be suggesting is that Carcillo would have more goals than Maroon if Maroon was given the same opportunity as Carcillo.

That's completely incorrect. Maroon's skill level compared to Carcillo is like comparing Scott Hartnell to Darroll Powe only the difference is likely greater.

If Maroon plays well enough to make the team in camp, he will make the team. To believe otherwise is completely foolish.

That said, out of himself, Testwuide, Nodl, and Kalinski, the four with a legitimate shot, he easily has the most skill and might be the closest to ready other than Nodl. He's certainly the closest thing we have to a top 9 player who might be ready.

Again, we will see how things go in camp, but if you're one of the poor souls still crying over Mike Knuble, then saying you wouldn't give Maroon a shot is pretty ignorant and stupid.

EDIT:

That said, the lineup I'm penciling in is Carcillo on the left side until proven otherwise, but I'm pulling for the following lineup because I think it has the chance at being the most successful:

Maroon - Carter - Zherdev
Hartnell - Briere - Leino
vanRiemsdyk - Richards - Giroux
Powe - Betts - Laperriere
Carcillo - Shelley

Pronger - Carle
Timonen - Coburn
Meszaros - O'Donnell
Walker

Leighton
Boucher

Maroon's hands to bang home the junk that Carter and Zherdev throw at the net...that would be a sight to behold. I'd love to get him set up in the crease for a line like that.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 03:34 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Believe it or not, I'm going to defend NWO on this one.

Just let me point out really quickly that never would I expect NWO to say that Maroon has a shot at anything.

Anyway, claiming that Maroon had as many goals with the Phantoms as Carcillo had with the Flyers is a little unfair. What you seem to be suggesting is that Carcillo would have more goals than Maroon if Maroon was given the same opportunity as Carcillo.

That's completely incorrect. Maroon's skill level compared to Carcillo is like comparing Scott Hartnell to Darroll Powe only the difference is likely greater.

If Maroon plays well enough to make the team in camp, he will make the team. To believe otherwise is completely foolish.

That said, out of himself, Testwuide, Nodl, and Kalinski, the four with a legitimate shot, he easily has the most skill and might be the closest to ready other than Nodl. He's certainly the closest thing we have to a top 9 player who might be ready.

Again, we will see how things go in camp, but if you're one of the poor souls still crying over Mike Knuble, then saying you wouldn't give Maroon a shot is pretty ignorant and stupid.
Chris, I was being very sarcastic. Dont feel the need to use the sarcasm smiley though. As you know i am not all that high on Maroon at all. I was just using analogies that other posters have used when talking about Maroon. Thanks though. Yes if he plays well and earns a spot he will make the team. Carcillo imo isnt a top 9 player on a daily basis for this team. If they had more typical 3rd line i think he would be fine. Seems the flyers want to roll 3 scoring lines, Carcillo doesnt fit that role imo. I myself just dont think Maroon is good enough yet and may never be..

Old
08-22-2010, 03:38 PM
jb**

Quote:
EDIT:

That said, the lineup I'm penciling in is Carcillo on the left side until proven otherwise, but I'm pulling for the following lineup because I think it has the chance at being the most successful:

Maroon - Carter - Zherdev
Hartnell - Briere - Leino
vanRiemsdyk - Richards - Giroux
Powe - Betts - Laperriere
Carcillo - Shelley

Pronger - Carle
Timonen - Coburn
Meszaros - O'Donnell
Walker

Leighton
Boucher

Maroon's hands to bang home the junk that Carter and Zherdev throw at the net...that would be a sight to behold. I'd love to get him set up in the crease for a line like that.
that 1s line would get eaten alive defensively. Carcillo should be in there over Powe. didnt see the need to resign Powe but he isnt brekaing the bank so not a big deal. The thing with this team is they have 8 forwards capable of doing what they want to do. Not havign that 9th really hurts the team. As it really weakens imo the whole dynamic.

Old
08-22-2010, 04:15 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
that 1s line would get eaten alive defensively.
The center is responsible for the vast majority of the defensive load, and Carter's hardly inept defensively.

I'd be FAR more worried about Briere's line.

That said, I think we have a strong enough defense where we'd be okay, but you're still absolutely incorrect.

Quote:
Carcillo should be in there over Powe.
Definitely not. Powe may not score as much, but he's a better skater, a faster skater, a better forechecker, and a much better defensive forward. He brings more to the table on the fourth line than Carcillo, especially because we have other players that can fight as well as Carcillo and agitate almost as well as him.

Quote:
didnt see the need to resign Powe but he isnt brekaing the bank so not a big deal.
I didn't see the need to re-sign Carcillo.

Quote:
The thing with this team is they have 8 forwards capable of doing what they want to do. Not havign that 9th really hurts the team. As it really weakens imo the whole dynamic.
Having 8 is more than what most teams get. I think only us and Washington can claim having 8 legitimate scoring forwards this year. Don't take depth so lightly. Be thankful for it.

As for not having that 9th hurting this team, Maroon is a far stronger offensive player than Carcillo. So if you want a better offensive dynamic, you don't put Carcillo in there. He's not a top 9 forward (EDIT: As you mentioned above.)

Old
08-22-2010, 04:23 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Correction: Laviolette.

Whatever, someone said it in an article. Don't remember who.

In the end it doesn't matter which one of them said it. If one of them did say it, it's probably going to happen the way they say unless something significant changes from here into the start of camp.
Hopefully, the thing that changes is they realize that Briere could be -100 at center over a full season.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 04:25 PM
jb**

Quote:
The center is responsible for the vast majority of the defensive load, and Carter's hardly inept defensively.

I'd be FAR more worried about Briere's line.

That said, I think we have a strong enough defense where we'd be okay, but you're still absolutely incorrect.

Definitely not. Powe may not score as much, but he's a better skater, a faster skater, a better forechecker, and a much better defensive forward. He brings more to the table on the fourth line than Carcillo, especially because we have other players that can fight as well as Carcillo and agitate almost as well as him.

I didn't see the need to re-sign Carcillo.

Having 8 is more than what most teams get. I think only us and Washington can claim having 8 legitimate scoring forwards this year. Don't take depth so lightly. Be thankful for it.

As for not having that 9th hurting this team, Maroon is a far stronger offensive player than Carcillo. So if you want a better offensive dynamic, you don't put Carcillo in there. He's not a top 9 forward (EDIT: As you mentioned above.)
How the hell am i absolutely incorrect in saying that marron-carter-zherdev lien would get eaten alive defensively? That is not incorrect at all.

Powe is a dime a dozen player. I think Carcillo brings more to the table. So who fights and agitates as well as Carcillo?

Marron is a minor leaguer until proven otherwise. If his skills are s great he would be in the nhl.

Old
08-22-2010, 04:36 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
How the hell am i absolutely incorrect in saying that marron-carter-zherdev lien would get eaten alive defensively? That is not incorrect at all.
Again, explain why it would? Carter, as the center, would be taking the brunt of the defensive responsibility. Maroon and Zherdev would not be.

Quote:
Powe is a dime a dozen player. I think Carcillo brings more to the table. So who fights and agitates as well as Carcillo?
Both are dime-a-dozen players, but defense > fighting ability.

Quote:
Marron is a minor leaguer until proven otherwise. If his skills are s great he would be in the nhl.
No, his skills are not the question. There are other reasons why he's not in the NHL already. They're not necessarily bad things, but the Flyers would obviously like to see him develop more before throwing him to the wolves. That's completely different than skill being the issue. Klotz is not in the NHL because he has no skill if you want an example.

Old
08-22-2010, 04:45 PM
jb**

Quote:
Again, explain why it would? Carter, as the center, would be taking the brunt of the defensive responsibility. Maroon and Zherdev would not be.

Both are dime-a-dozen players, but defense > fighting ability.

No, his skills are not the question. There are other reasons why he's not in the NHL already. They're not necessarily bad things, but the Flyers would obviously like to see him develop more before throwing him to the wolves. That's completely different than skill being the issue. Klotz is not in the NHL because he has no skill if you want an example.
Carter is ok defensively. Not great , not bad. Zherdev is below avg, Maroon- are you kididng me? they would be a huge liability. So what makes you think they wouldnt?

Carcillo brings more than fighting.

His skills are a question. To say otherwsie is incorrect. His skating, defensive play all need to imporve to play in the nhl. So do other areas. So he has "soft" hands like many like to say, yet he still hasnt been consistent enough to produce at the ahl level. Please dont use excuses for him as he played a lot of games last year. Comparing him to KLotz is a terrible example. Not many fighters have skills yet many have made careers in the nhl otu fighting.

Old
08-22-2010, 04:56 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Carter is ok defensively. Not great , not bad. Zherdev is below avg, Maroon- are you kididng me? they would be a huge liability. So what makes you think they wouldnt?
Carter is just okay? Richards is just mediocre too.

Quote:
Carcillo brings more than fighting.
Powe brings all of Carcillo and more except hands, and Carcillo's hands aren't even that great.

Quote:
His skills are a question. To say otherwsie is incorrect. His skating, defensive play all need to imporve to play in the nhl. So do other areas. So he has "soft" hands like many like to say, yet he still hasnt been consistent enough to produce at the ahl level. Please dont use excuses for him as he played a lot of games last year. Comparing him to KLotz is a terrible example. Not many fighters have skills yet many have made careers in the nhl otu fighting.
I think I'll just ignore your request on that one.

Old
08-22-2010, 05:03 PM
jb**

Quote:

Powe brings all of Carcillo and more except hands, and Carcillo's hands aren't even that great.

Yep he is just ok defensively. You can laugh all you want. He isnt a great or even slightly below great defensive center. That is a fact.

Powe does not bring all of what Carcillo brings except hands. Again yoru incorrect. No you cant be incorrect, you have been wrong only once.

Ignore anythign you want. His skills are a question. guess what you and i defins as skills probably differ, what a shock. Bottom line is he isnt good enough to be in the nhl right now and probably never will be on a consistent basis.

Old
08-22-2010, 05:06 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:

Carcillo is one of the best agitators in the league and you want Powe in over him? Carcillo is also pretty sound defensively.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 05:19 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Yep he is just ok defensively. You can laugh all you want. He isnt a great or even slightly below great defensive center. That is a fact.
That's a shame. It doesn't bode well for us when our second best defensive forward is just whatever.

You know what's a fact? You don't know what you're talking about.

Quote:
Powe does not bring all of what Carcillo brings except hands. Again yoru incorrect. No you cant be incorrect, you have been wrong only once.
What else does Carcillo bring? Agitation? Hands?

Powe doesn't have hands, but he agitates. He is much better defensively. He's a better forechecker. He's faster, and he hits more.

I'd rather have him on my fourth line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
Carcillo is one of the best agitators in the league and you want Powe in over him? Carcillo is also pretty sound defensively.
Yes, I'd rather have Powe's skill-set on my team.

Old
08-22-2010, 05:26 PM
DutchDennis

JVR should be ready for the next step, with Zherdev on the right.

DutchDennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 05:35 PM
jb**

Quote:
That's a shame. It doesn't bode well for us when our second best defensive forward is just whatever.

You know what's a fact? You don't know what you're talking about.

What else does Carcillo bring? Agitation? Hands?

Powe doesn't have hands, but he agitates. He is much better defensively. He's a better forechecker. He's faster, and he hits more.

I'd rather have him on my fourth line.

Yes, I'd rather have Powe's skill-set on my team.
Correct, your the only one who knows what he is talking about. He isnt the 2nd best defensive forward either. So what makes him so great defensively then? what does he do game in and game out that garners him this great defensive status. Yeah i dotn know what i am talking about almighty Oz.

You would rather have Powe on your 4th line. Fine. I wouldnt. You make Carcillo out to be this slug and he isnt. Powe agitates? what does he do that agitates?

Old
08-22-2010, 05:45 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Correct, your the only one who knows what he is talking about. He isnt the 2nd best defensive forward either. So what makes him so great defensively then? what does he do game in and game out that garners him this great defensive status. Yeah i dotn know what i am talking about almighty Oz.

You would rather have Powe on your 4th line. Fine. I wouldnt. You make Carcillo out to be this slug and he isnt. Powe agitates? what does he do that agitates?
Powe has been on the PK unit. He brings more to the table then you give him credit for. Powe doesnt act like a clown throwing his head back when someone gets near him.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 06:47 PM
Garbage Goal

Carcillo have better hands, better potential, and a better scoring ability. He can also draw penalties (or, in other words, agitate).

Powe can PK.

Carcillo is the better player, but they're both very good players when playing at their best.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 07:02 PM
CTU2fan

I voted JVR, but really Hartnell should have replaced Carter in the poll.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 09:56 PM
Crossbar Ping

I think giroux could work well with carter

Crossbar Ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 11:43 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:

If you think Carter is just "okay" defensively than you dont watch him too closely. He is obviously not an elite two way center like Richards, but he is extremely responsible and very smart in his own zone. "Okay" is someone like Giroux who does not (yet) have the defensive awareness of a guy like Carter or obviously Richards.

As for Powe, I agree, I'd rather have Carcillo in over him. Carcillo is an extremely unique player. He's not a liability either and he can provide decent skills in every zone. He's a bit of a loose cannon, but as long as he doesnt hurt our team more than he helps it, he gets a pass in our lineup.

Powe is a great player for our fourth line, and I love having him, but he really doesnt provide anything that we dont get from other players on our roster. At least Carcillo can provide us with a dimension nobody else on this team has.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote