HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

2010-11 Colorado Avalanche

Old
08-22-2010, 02:42 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
I would keep Gagalagalalgailalairidalriardi on the top line for times when the Avs don't have the second change or when Sacco is playing Staz against another team's impact scorers. We give a lot of credit to Stastny for upping his defensive game last season but I was more impressed with what I saw from Gally during that time, allowing him to be the first forechecker and last backchecker opens up the ice for Staz and MBP to create offense

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 03:09 PM
quesosauce

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hekic42 View Post
I wonder if the Hannan - Quincey defensive pairing might be broken up only because when Foote re-signed it was with an understanding that he'd be playing fewer minutes. I hope and expect to see Foote on the third pairing this coming year and while Cumiskey played well enough with Foote last year he should continue to get top four minutes. What does that leave the pairings?

Hannan - Liles
Quincey - Cumiskey
Foote - Wilson

Hannan-Wilson (kinda a shutdownish pair?)
Quincey-Cumiskey?
Liles-Foote

or
Hannan-Cumiskey
Quincey-Wilson
Liles-Foote

quesosauce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 03:14 PM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

vCash: 140
Given how well Hannan-Quincey played in the first half of last year, I imagine they try to keep them together still. That still leaves Foote-Cumiskey and Wilson-Liles, which are reasonably balanced between speed and defensive ability.

Zih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 03:56 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zih View Post
Given how well Hannan-Quincey played in the first half of last year, I imagine they try to keep them together still. That still leaves Foote-Cumiskey and Wilson-Liles, which are reasonably balanced between speed and defensive ability.
Yeah, if Hannan and Quincey aren't the avs best defensive pair, they won't be making the playoffs.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 04:16 PM
Kschey
Avs/BorussiaDortmund

vCash: 50
Well, I don't think there is a reason to change the first two lines we had at the end of last season. Galiardi-Stastny-Stewart and Mueller-Duchene-Hejduk were connecting very good.
3rd and 4th line we'll have to see, I just hope that Porter does not take away too much time from Stoa because I do not see anything in Porter that would justify that.

About the defense, I just hope and think Foote won't get too much time anymore.

Kschey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 04:26 PM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kschey View Post
Well, I don't think there is a reason to change the first two lines we had at the end of last season. Galiardi-Stastny-Stewart and Mueller-Duchene-Hejduk were connecting very good.
3rd and 4th line we'll have to see, I just hope that Porter does not take away too much time from Stoa because I do not see anything in Porter that would justify that.

About the defense, I just hope and think Foote won't get too much time anymore.
Wait what? Its either top 6 or bust for Stoa. He won't be effective on the bottom 6 and best spent time to develop in the AHL. 3 years down the road if he can't crack the line up I can see 3rd line duties for him but not now, not next season.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 04:41 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
This won't be how the season starts but I'd like to see them try this for the top 3 lines at some point, even though it'd put Hejduk on the wrong side:

Hejduk-Stastny-Stewart
Mueller-Duchene-Jones
Galiardi-O'Reilly-Yip

Really don't want to think about the D though
Last summer I suggested the idea of Hejduk switching to LW given our lack of depth in that position. It wasn't regarded as a great idea then and I'm not sure it is a great idea now. I really do believe Duchene's line will produce more points but am not sure if that means they are the top line or second line. If I was to screw with the lines right now I'd look at these:

Gally-Stastny-Duke
Meuller-Duchene-Stewart
Jones-ROR-Yip

I really liked seeing Stewart on Duchene's wing. My respect level for Stewie was pretty high before last season began but that game against the Panthers where he dropped the gloves for Duchene after Bryan Allen's attempted knee-on-knee hit made a huge fan.

They only reason I see to tinker with Duchene's line is to give it more "bite". Stewart can obviously add that quality and he's (Stewart) not that bad at scoring. Honestly, I think Gally gives Stastny's line all the crunch it needs to succeed.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 05:17 PM
NWAvsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
Last summer I suggested the idea of Hejduk switching to LW given our lack of depth in that position. It wasn't regarded as a great idea then and I'm not sure it is a great idea now. I really do believe Duchene's line will produce more points but am not sure if that means they are the top line or second line. If I was to screw with the lines right now I'd look at these:

Gally-Stastny-Duke
Meuller-Duchene-Stewart
Jones-ROR-Yip

I really liked seeing Stewart on Duchene's wing. My respect level for Stewie was pretty high before last season began but that game against the Panthers where he dropped the gloves for Duchene after Bryan Allen's attempted knee-on-knee hit made a huge fan.

They only reason I see to tinker with Duchene's line is to give it more "bite". Stewart can obviously add that quality and he's (Stewart) not that bad at scoring. Honestly, I think Gally gives Stastny's line all the crunch it needs to succeed.
MBP is the business. I was a little miffed when he and Dutch were split up after awakening their respective games but it is hard to argue with the results he got on the top line or the results of the Meuller-Duchene-Hejduk combo. That line is a little soft for sure but they are slick and probably should be left to do their thing. Try to keep Foote or Wilson on the ice with them just in case though. That Gali-Staz-MBP line could be real interesting in it's own right. Galiardi came into his own in the playoffs and I hope we see more of his rough and tumble "play with abandon" in this upcoming season. Add Stastny's old school style and Stewart's toughness and that line could be a real pain to play against even when they aren't scoring. I am not sure which of those players I am most looking forward to watching this coming season.

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 05:52 PM
Kschey
Avs/BorussiaDortmund

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
Wait what? Its either top 6 or bust for Stoa. He won't be effective on the bottom 6 and best spent time to develop in the AHL. 3 years down the road if he can't crack the line up I can see 3rd line duties for him but not now, not next season.
Don't know, I would prefer watching Stoa on the 3rd line getting used to the NHL.
If we don't give him the try there, where then?
Don't see him cracking a top 6 spot without showing some good games on the Avs. How to prove himself then?

Old
08-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

I see some people having Foote in the top four. If that is the case, we are in deep trouble.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 07:02 PM
Mile High Monsters

Svatos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoIginla View Post
Mueller-Stastny-Hejduk
Galiardi-Duchene-Stewart
Yip-O'Reilly-Jones
Winnik-Stoa-McLeod
Koci,Porter

Hannan-Foote
Cumiskey-Quincey
Liles-Wilson

Anderson
Budaj
I'm wondering why the Avs, or any team, havent signed Svatos yet

Mile High Monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 07:19 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Monsters View Post
I'm wondering why the Avs, or any team, havent signed Svatos yet
He can't score enough to be a top 6 forward and isn't good enough defensively to be a bottom 6 forward

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 07:46 PM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I see some people having Foote in the top four. If that is the case, we are in deep trouble.
I would imagine Hannan and Quincey will easily see the most ice time (22-25 minutes a game), then Wilson/Liles will see the next most, and Foote/Cumiskey as the 3rd pairing. I think Foote ends up getting most of his ice time on the PK. Liles and Cumiskey will get most of the PP time, although I'd like to see Quincey regain his shooting touch.

Zih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 09:35 PM
Mile High Monsters

Regarding Svatos

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
He can't score enough to be a top 6 forward and isn't good enough defensively to be a bottom 6 forward
Thats weird, because I liked Svatos. But then again, i loved the whole line of Wolski - Statsny - Svatos that the avs had in 2007 to 2009.

I know two of those players are playing for different teams.

Mile High Monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 09:51 PM
quesosauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
when all of your dmen should be number 3's or below, its kinda a wash in terms of "top 4"

i consider our top 4 to be not in any order

Hannan
Quincey
Cumiskey
Liles

quesosauce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 10:16 PM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Monsters View Post
Thats weird, because I liked Svatos. But then again, i loved the whole line of Wolski - Statsny - Svatos that the avs had in 2007 to 2009.

I know two of those players are playing for different teams.
Um, that line might have played like 1 game together that i don't recall...but, um....

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 10:47 PM
Adama0905

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zih View Post
I would imagine Hannan and Quincey will easily see the most ice time (22-25 minutes a game), then Wilson/Liles will see the next most, and Foote/Cumiskey as the 3rd pairing. I think Foote ends up getting most of his ice time on the PK. Liles and Cumiskey will get most of the PP time, although I'd like to see Quincey regain his shooting touch.
Again, everyone does know that Cumiskey was a twenty minute man nearly all last season right? Even when he was playing putrid in the series against San Jose, he was averaging over twenty minutes a game.

He's not going to be in the bottom two in terms of defensive TOI/G

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 10:54 PM
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills

Quote:
Originally Posted by quesosauce View Post
when all of your dmen should be number 3's or below, its kinda a wash in terms of "top 4"
I definitely agree with this.

madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 08:07 AM
Seaward*

Quote:
Originally Posted by quesosauce View Post
man we could really use a top line LW, just sayin

i <3 jones and i <3 gally, but they are 2nd liners at best, imo
I wonder who we could get?!

Seaward* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 08:18 AM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kschey View Post
Don't know, I would prefer watching Stoa on the 3rd line getting used to the NHL.
If we don't give him the try there, where then?
Don't see him cracking a top 6 spot without showing some good games on the Avs. How to prove himself then?
I never understood the term "get use to the NHL". A player eventually will if he ever plans to make it.

Either way there is a huge difference between a bottom 6 and a top 6 player. Stoa's potential will be wasted on the bottom 6. He isn't a agitator, isn't a grinder and isn't as versatile as Galiardi. Bottom 6 will just ruin his development.

He was doing well in the AHL and he should continue to improve on that next season and he'll be the first one to be called up for injuries.

If you feel different that's fine but he isn't beating this team's top 9 depth.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 11:51 AM
Kschey
Avs/BorussiaDortmund

Well, ok, maybe you are right.

But then I do not see anything in Porter that makes him useful as a bottom 6 forward in the NHL as well.
Or is he an agitator / a grinder / as versatile as Galiardi?
I wish we rather would have gotten a late round pick in the Wolski - Mueller - deal than Porter.
Would prefer to see somebody like Mercier on the 4th line.