HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dionne talks Habs and Francophones... "Not the Flying Frenchmen anymore"

Old
08-21-2010, 01:58 PM
ReVeuF

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Agree...
But when you have a chance to draft

Giroux instead of Fischer

Gagné instead of Chouinard

Perron instead of Paccioretty

Bergeron instead of Uruquart...

An these kids are playing in your own backyard, you HAVE to make the effort.
I agree with everything except the Gagné vs Chouinard, both are francophone but Habs did not know Chouinard would be a bust (he was very good in juniors).

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 02:04 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
And that guy is no where to be found now.

@ Whitesnake. Yeah, Bourret was pretty weak, but the only other Q player to be drafted in the first round from Canada was Bourdon, who's from one of the maritime provinces, don't remember which.
If memory serves, he was from NB

Also, on a side note: I asked about something and still wonder.

"Flying Frenchmen"

Coined by an English speaking journalist?

Is there a "Quebec" equivalent (French?)

Is the phrase itself kind of a "mistake"?

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 02:16 PM
ReVeuF

I can tell you the majority of the Quebec province want more francophone players on the Habs. Does AK46 help you getting more identified withe the team ? No, I still remember when every player on the team on the opening game said : "Je suis" with their name... then came to AK46 who only said his name...

Even the Expos were closer to the fans (not about the sick kids... the average fan in general), I remember the Denis Boucher hype, when he was pitching the Big O was packed.

I know some people who are so angry about the Habs they watch the games and hope they lose all of them (they went from Habs fan to fan of every team BUT the Habs)... those same people who were loving the Habs in the 1970s. It is not healthy to watch hockey games with them... lol we got fights even.

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 02:20 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
I can tell you the majority of the Quebec province want more francophone players on the Habs. Does AK46 help you getting more identified withe the team ? No, I still remember when every player on the team on the opening game said : "Je suis" with their name... then came to AK46 who only said his name...

Even the Expos were closer to the fans (not about the sick kids... the average fan in general), I remember the Denis Boucher hype, when he was pitching the Big O was packed.

I know some people who are so angry about the Habs they watch the games and hope they lose all of them (they went from Habs fan to fan of every team BUT the Habs)... those same people who were loving the Habs in the 1970s. It is not healthy to watch hockey games with them... lol we got fights even.
Guaranteed if the habs had won a cup, or 2 in the past 15 years, they wouldn't be complaining about the lack of French players.

If those people refuse to go to the game because there's a lack of French players, there's 3 other people waiting to get their ticket to see their beloved Canadien. We don't need fans like that, so if they want to hate the habs, go ahead. It just further helps weed out the stupid fans, anyways.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 06:55 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
If memory serves, he was from NB

Also, on a side note: I asked about something and still wonder.

"Flying Frenchmen"

Coined by an English speaking journalist?

Is there a "Quebec" equivalent (French?)

Is the phrase itself kind of a "mistake"?
Flying Frenchmen is a phrase used by the anglos to identify the frenchies. I sort of like the title, it sort has that swashbuckling thing to it, even if it's not french. I guess in french it would be something like "Les Voltigeurs"?

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 07:33 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

I loathe Toronto. I dislike that city, still, any day of the week I would gladly take a guy like Subban who is a diehard Habs over a guy like St-Louis who always hated the Habs.

I'd take Cammy and his pride of playing for this great franchise, over a guy like Brière who used the Habs to get what he wanted.

Quebec born players have been a pain in the *** for the Habs over the last 20 years. And the players themselves have often passed on the chance of playing here.

I find it strange there's more resentment towards the Habs for the state of the situation in regards to Quebec born players, when most of the talented ones all passed on their chance to come here in their prime.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 07:43 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
I agree with Ozymandias a bit, As many or more great Habs are from Ontario.... that's a fact!

Perhaps the next generation will be from the USA? Who knows?

I think what irks French Canadians is the fact there are no Lafleur's or Roadrunner's alongside. Their 80 year old grandfathers talk of the Rocket, so it's fairytale...

Understandable, no reason to take it out on the Anglo's. It all comes down to the Q & producing more stars. What people must remember is that Montreal had a gift by the NHL that let them sign rather that draft Quebec's Junior players, a level playing field means that we are North Americanized. Some people just can't live with that.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 09:59 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
I still think the Habs should have the best understanding of prospects from Quebec.

This means knowing which Quebecois players are better than non-Quebecois players and vice versa
. I just think they should have a better system for finding gems over here.
How would the Habs have a comprehensive knowledge of non-Q players so that they could compare them with Q players if they put most of their effort into scouting the Q? Wouldn't that mean neglecting other parts of Canada as well as the US and Europe? You can't have it both ways. There are many more gems to be found elsewhere.

Sure, Fischer and Urquhart were dids but so was Eric Chouinard.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 11:05 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I loathe Toronto. I dislike that city, still, any day of the week I would gladly take a guy like Subban who is a diehard Habs over a guy like St-Louis who always hated the Habs.

I'd take Cammy and his pride of playing for this great franchise, over a guy like Brière who used the Habs to get what he wanted.

Quebec born players have been a pain in the *** for the Habs over the last 20 years. And the players themselves have often passed on the chance of playing here.

I find it strange there's more resentment towards the Habs for the state of the situation in regards to Quebec born players, when most of the talented ones all passed on their chance to come here in their prime.
not always. leblanc grew up a huge habs fan...lapierre too...lats as well though that didn't turn out too well lol

Hugo Sham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 11:42 PM
Not The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23Hab View Post
I agree with Ozymandias a bit, As many or more great Habs are from Ontario.... that's a fact!

Perhaps the next generation will be from the USA? Who knows?

I think what irks French Canadians is the fact there are no Lafleur's or Roadrunner's alongside. Their 80 year old grandfathers talk of the Rocket, so it's fairytale...

Understandable, no reason to take it out on the Anglo's..
Who's taking out anything on anglos? We just want more francos. There are already a dozen or more anglos on the roster, and the Habs have picked 17 "anglo" first younders in the last twenty years.

Quote:
It all comes down to the Q & producing more stars. What people must remember is that Montreal had a gift by the NHL that let them sign rather that draft Quebec's Junior players, a level playing field means that we are North Americanized. Some people just can't live with that.
That is pure nonsense, and quite pathetic coming from a supposed habs fan. Go learn about your team's history!

Not The One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 12:43 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

Which prooves that it's not ALWAYS the best thing to go with the french local player. We have established that already. There wouldn't be a time where we'll have 20 french local players.....So what you're saying, mixed with what other are saying, could mean that this team should just have a better mix. Didn't know the fact about St-Louis. I know a guy like Patrice Bergeron hated the Habs with a passion being a Nords fan and all. As far as Brière is concerned, I know people close to people....and he didn't used the Habs. He really was interested in coming. But from what you are saying, I'd name you the Laperrière who wanted to come for a long time now.....Beauchemin....Bouillon who would have love to stay and so on.....Yes, some aren't interested 'cause of the stupid pressure. Some don't mind. But especially, some wouldn't mind IF there would be others of their "kind" with them in the first place.

None are interested in being the sole french voice of the team.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 07:24 AM
should2

Quote:

What people must remember is that Montreal had a gift by the NHL that let them sign rather that draft Quebec's Junior players
I don't think you really get it. Stop trying to minimize what french Canadians have brought to this team

What the NHL's brain trust decided to do was they would attempt to help Montreal's attendance and thereby hopefully their bottom line financially. So they decided that the Montreal Canadiens could take any two players from the province of Quebec in a special draft. There was one rider however. None of these players could have already been previously signed to a C form (confirmation form) with any other club. At this time in the NHL and right through the late 60's amateur players were signed by NHL teams to C forms and then placed on their appropriate junior clubs or minor pro clubs depending on their age. The most extreme case of this was Bobby Orr. Orr signed a C form three weeks before his 12th birthday with the Boston Bruins. He was so young his parents signature was required. When he turned 14 he began playing for Boston's junior sponsored team, the Oshawa Generals. That's how Orr became a Bruin. From 1936-1943 Montreal protected 14 players through this special draft. Unfortunately none of them ever played a minute in the NHL. Reason being, anybody who could tie their skates and chew gum at the same time were already long signed by other NHL teams including the Canadiens who certainly wern't going to survive solely with this rule. The hope was that there would be a spark from signing a French Canadian kid, even better if he could play a bit. The thought was that this could help attendance and thereby help Montreal. It never did.

Selke had a vision about a series of teams in the minor leagues that would be stocked with players that Montreal would sign to C forms. These minor league teams and the players on them were soon to be known as 'a farm system.' This was the origin of the farm system as we know it today. It took the rest of the NHL 2-3 years to catch on to this idea but they did and they've all benefited from it but Montreal had a tremendous head start and in some instances they purchased the rights to an entire league to get a certain player.

In 1963, the French Canadian rule was brought back for the Montreal Canadiens. It was not necessary, no question about it but Selke and Pollock worked a sweet deal and got it back on the books however the same rules applied. The player could not have signed a C form with any other team. From 1963-1967 none of the players Montreal selected played one minute in the NHL, ever. Finally in 1968, they drafted their first live one. A goalie named Michel Plasse. In 1969, it was determined that this would be the final year of the draft in this manner and the sponsorship of Junior A teams would cease to be. All players were to be 20 years of age or older and they would be eligible for a Universal Amateur Draft. Montreal was given one final kick at the French Canadian can and they made the most of it by selecting Rejean Houle and Marc Tardif. That was it for the French rule.

should2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 08:08 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Which prooves that it's not ALWAYS the best thing to go with the french local player. We have established that already. There wouldn't be a time where we'll have 20 french local players.....So what you're saying, mixed with what other are saying, could mean that this team should just have a better mix. Didn't know the fact about St-Louis. I know a guy like Patrice Bergeron hated the Habs with a passion being a Nords fan and all. As far as Brière is concerned, I know people close to people....and he didn't used the Habs. He really was interested in coming. But from what you are saying, I'd name you the Laperrière who wanted to come for a long time now.....Beauchemin....Bouillon who would have love to stay and so on.....Yes, some aren't interested 'cause of the stupid pressure. Some don't mind. But especially, some wouldn't mind IF there would be others of their "kind" with them in the first place.

None are interested in being the sole french voice of the team.
Right on !

Who wants to face 30 to 40 media people every single practices and games ?

They are getting overexposed within weeks, and fans starts hating them pretty soon, being fed up to see their face, and hear their clichés every day.

It's not the player's fault. It is just the nature of the beast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by should2 View Post
I don't think you really get it. Stop trying to minimize what french Canadians have brought to this team

What the NHL's brain trust decided to do was they would attempt to help Montreal's attendance and thereby hopefully their bottom line financially. So they decided that the Montreal Canadiens could take any two players from the province of Quebec in a special draft. There was one rider however. None of these players could have already been previously signed to a C form (confirmation form) with any other club. At this time in the NHL and right through the late 60's amateur players were signed by NHL teams to C forms and then placed on their appropriate junior clubs or minor pro clubs depending on their age. The most extreme case of this was Bobby Orr. Orr signed a C form three weeks before his 12th birthday with the Boston Bruins. He was so young his parents signature was required. When he turned 14 he began playing for Boston's junior sponsored team, the Oshawa Generals. That's how Orr became a Bruin. From 1936-1943 Montreal protected 14 players through this special draft. Unfortunately none of them ever played a minute in the NHL. Reason being, anybody who could tie their skates and chew gum at the same time were already long signed by other NHL teams including the Canadiens who certainly wern't going to survive solely with this rule. The hope was that there would be a spark from signing a French Canadian kid, even better if he could play a bit. The thought was that this could help attendance and thereby help Montreal. It never did.

Selke had a vision about a series of teams in the minor leagues that would be stocked with players that Montreal would sign to C forms. These minor league teams and the players on them were soon to be known as 'a farm system.' This was the origin of the farm system as we know it today. It took the rest of the NHL 2-3 years to catch on to this idea but they did and they've all benefited from it but Montreal had a tremendous head start and in some instances they purchased the rights to an entire league to get a certain player.

In 1963, the French Canadian rule was brought back for the Montreal Canadiens. It was not necessary, no question about it but Selke and Pollock worked a sweet deal and got it back on the books however the same rules applied. The player could not have signed a C form with any other team. From 1963-1967 none of the players Montreal selected played one minute in the NHL, ever. Finally in 1968, they drafted their first live one. A goalie named Michel Plasse. In 1969, it was determined that this would be the final year of the draft in this manner and the sponsorship of Junior A teams would cease to be. All players were to be 20 years of age or older and they would be eligible for a Universal Amateur Draft. Montreal was given one final kick at the French Canadian can and they made the most of it by selecting Rejean Houle and Marc Tardif. That was it for the French rule.

Too bad. The Habs would have had Gilbert Perreault the following year !

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Teufelsdreck

A non-francophone draft pick who doesn't turn into a useful NHL player is not worse than a francophone draft pick who doesn't turn into a useful NHL player. However, I hear far more complaints about Fischer than ever I did about Chouinard. who was projected to be a first line center.

Old
08-22-2010, 04:25 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
A non-francophone draft pick who doesn't turn into a useful NHL player is not worse than a francophone draft pick who doesn't turn into a useful NHL player. However, I hear far more complaints about Fischer than ever I did about Chouinard. who was projected to be a first line center.
Seriously? You didn't hear about Chouinard that much? I did, and it started with a lot of people including myself.

Though I could see some differences. In most mock drafts, and most analysis, Fischer wasn't a top 30 pick (yes, he was in some but not most of them and especially not McKenzie's who's top 30 is a mix of a lot of amateur scouts throughout the league. Chouinard was in there and was ahead of Gagné in most lists. Also based on family. Based on being bigger and especially at the centerman position. Chouinard was supposed to be that offensive imaginative player, Gagné was suppose to be a fine 2-way player.

Now, for the unofficial part of the analysis you'll like....it's tough to bash not picking a Q player when you actually preferred....another Q player. But not picking a Q player and going for a US one well that's another reason for the Fischer bashing at least for some.

I would also believe that it has everything to do with Timmins. Seems to me that as great as some people might be, since 2003, players left, coaches left, GM's left....everybody left but.....Timmins. Possible that for some, it's just the idea of trying to see if somebody else with a different look might not bring something else to the table.

I would also add the fact that more people seems to be interested in the draft nowadays. Also add the internet as part of the reason why there are more opinions on the subject nowadays as well.

So tons of reasons why it might seem that way. But I can tell you that even the most "separatists" journalists talk from time to time that "We would not have had to try to get Gagné in a trade if we would have drafted him in the first place" type of comments.....

On the other end....I also hear a lot already how Leblanc is a bust.....while there's still hope for AKost.....Chip.....MaxPac....

Old
08-22-2010, 04:44 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
The only thing that is important is the fact that the players are proud when they put on the jersey of the CH and they go out there and win the Cup. If they can accomplish that, I dare anyone to say that it's too bad there's no francophones on the team. I'll tear them a new one myself.

I understand the mind-set of francophones out there. I'm married to one that has that mind-set and I don't hate it. However, if the Cup comes back to Montreal, nobody can say anything.
I have not read the article, but, IMHO, it is too bad there are few (and perhaps no notable = outstanding talented) francophones on the current Habs team and I do not have a drop of french blood in me!

Granted the game at the NHL level has changed, but the reality is - the identity of this team (organization if you will) when they were easily one of the best teams (organizations) in all of North American pro sports - was that of the Flying Frenchmen!

Even Gilles Trembaly, former Hab player and later colour commentator on French HNIC (CBC) telecast has in the past lamented over the fact that the Habs have not
been represented by the french culture in Quebec very well. And this was back in the mid '90s when the Habs had more notable french players than they do now!

Habs last won the Cup in '93 with the likes of Roy, Carbonneau, Lebeau, Denis Savard, Damphousse, Eric Desjardins, J.J. Daigneault (just to name a few francophones) and no Europeans!

Officailly, the Habs had 14 francophone names go on the Cup in '93 - interestingly, since then they have had less and less francophone players and have not come close to winning the Cup!

The Cup just might come back to Montreal if the Habs had more talent - it would't be a bad place to start by acquiring more talented French players - at least the ones who have both skill and pride in the culture and the team!

With the Habs current management team I don't foresee this changing any time soon!

Hope I'm wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousFan09 View Post
Territorial rights for 2 Quebecois brought in very little, either Mario Tremblay or Rejean Houle (I forget which) was brought in with that clause and that was about it for anyone to do anything with MTL.

On the original topic: The general issue is that the Quebec leagues all the way up and down aren't doing very well to produce quality players and even if that was fixed tommorow we'd wait half a decade or more before seeing real results at the draft so the Habs could tap some Flying Frenchmen talent.

Actually it was Rejean Houle and Marc Tardiff!

But you have the right idea - the so-called "Territorial Rights" that were granted to the Habs did not produce an impact (had it been Gilbert Perrault and or Marcel Dionne - WOW)!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 07:45 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Seriously? You didn't hear about Chouinard that much? I did, and it started with a lot of people including myself.

Though I could see some differences. In most mock drafts, and most analysis, Fischer wasn't a top 30 pick (yes, he was in some but not most of them and especially not McKenzie's who's top 30 is a mix of a lot of amateur scouts throughout the league. Chouinard was in there and was ahead of Gagné in most lists. Also based on family. Based on being bigger and especially at the centerman position. Chouinard was supposed to be that offensive imaginative player, Gagné was suppose to be a fine 2-way player.

Now, for the unofficial part of the analysis you'll like....it's tough to bash not picking a Q player when you actually preferred....another Q player. But not picking a Q player and going for a US one well that's another reason for the Fischer bashing at least for some.

I would also believe that it has everything to do with Timmins. Seems to me that as great as some people might be, since 2003, players left, coaches left, GM's left....everybody left but.....Timmins. Possible that for some, it's just the idea of trying to see if somebody else with a different look might not bring something else to the table.

I would also add the fact that more people seems to be interested in the draft nowadays. Also add the internet as part of the reason why there are more opinions on the subject nowadays as well.

So tons of reasons why it might seem that way. But I can tell you that even the most "separatists" journalists talk from time to time that "We would not have had to try to get Gagné in a trade if we would have drafted him in the first place" type of comments.....

On the other end....I also hear a lot already how Leblanc is a bust.....while there's still hope for AKost.....Chip.....MaxPac....
I wouldn't say Leblanc is a bust until he's played against quality opponents and was shown to be inadequate. Chouinard played in some NHL games before he was written off by 2 teams. Leblanc showed enough talent talent to justify his draft position. At least I couldn't think of anyone who was clearly better. The only thing that concerned me was his frame. Most observers would say he has to build himself up to play in the NHL. Naturally I hope he comes through although I don't think he'll be ready until about 2013.

Old
08-22-2010, 07:53 PM
OneSharpMarble

I don't give a damn what language they speak, the only thing that talks louder than words is the results and the habs results are whisper quiet.

When this team starts taking steps forward then we will see.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 07:56 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Right on !

Who wants to face 30 to 40 media people every single practices and games ?

They are getting overexposed within weeks, and fans starts hating them pretty soon, being fed up to see their face, and hear their clichés every day.

It's not the player's fault. It is just the nature of the beast.
So, what you're saying is the average French fan gets sick of seeing the same French player for every interview ?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:

None are interested in being the sole french voice of the team
Marginal players. I was talking of the talented ones. All the most talented ones passed on their chance of coming here. I clearly wrote that. And it's not like the Habs passed on all the Quebec players who wanted to come here either. Like Laraque, Tanguay, and many others.

Being the sole French voice is an excuse as the Habs always had one of the top 5 teams with most Quebecers when these players (Lecavalier, St-Louis, Brière) could've came here. When Lecavalier was a year removed from FA, Habs had many Quebecers on the lineup. Same with Brière. Add Gagné to this lot as he could've waited for FA when he signed his long-term contract.

And yes, St-Louis hates the Habs, just like Bergeron, he grew-up a No-dicks fan.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 11:13 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzy View Post
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...8_section_POS1

I totally agree with you mister Dionne. Finally someone I agree with.

Here's a google translate in english if you feel like having a headache : http://translate.google.ca/translate...n&hl=&ie=UTF-8
First thank you for putting this in English for us Yanks to read..I also agree 100% with Marcel about the flying Frenchmen etc, but the real sinister problem is nothing more than Liberalism and political correctness and how such make one out to be a RACIST if they want a French team, or intolerant if they are PROUD to be French etc. Liberalism wants folks to be " citizens of the world "and want folks to be ONE under world Goverment.I think you folks up in Canada have every right to be very proud of your French roots and i would like to see a Canadien team made up of many great French players etc...I am a Flyers fan and remember very well the great French players that played on Montreal and other teams as well, we have a great young French Canadian player in Claude Girioux, and if he played for Montreal instead of Philly i think that would be a great thing for the proud people of Montreal.
There is nothing wrong with that in my opinion, just as there is nothing wrong with a young white kid having a Larry Bird poster in his room and being proud of it,and a Black kid having a Wilt Chamberlain poster in his bed room and being proud of it.Having a Montreal Canadien team made up of A lot of French Canadien players would be a good thing for the NHL in my opinion, although TAXES probably do not help the cause either ?

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 12:17 AM
Forsead

What I find funny is ex-Nords fans always bring the fact that if they bring back an NHL in Quebec this will be a Quebec born first team with alot of pride an nationalism while in their last edition in 1994-1995 the Nordiques only had 4 Quebecers players that had played 20 games or more which would get full of whining right now...

So in the end I don't think a team in Quebec city will change alot of things and bring more Quebecer in the league or the Canadiens. It will perhaps clean up the ex-nords fans that are always whining and bashing the team and it's a plus IMO.

Forsead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 02:24 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
I don't give a damn what language they speak, the only thing that talks louder than words is the results and the habs results are whisper quiet.

When this team starts taking steps forward then we will see.
Sure you dont, they all speak english, just like you...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 07:30 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Being the sole French voice is an excuse as the Habs always had one of the top 5 teams with most Quebecers when these players (Lecavalier, St-Louis, Brière) could've came here. When Lecavalier was a year removed from FA, Habs had many Quebecers on the lineup. Same with Brière. Add Gagné to this lot as he could've waited for FA when he signed his long-term contract.

And yes, St-Louis hates the Habs, just like Bergeron, he grew-up a No-dicks fan.
It's tough to judge them based on the fact that they might have chosen better for them. Choosing better doesn't necessarily mean would not have come anyway. I know, the end-result is that they didn't come. Yet, you speak to me about marginal players....also possible they didn't want to come 'cause the lineup was also filled with marginal players who in Montreal are heroes while the stars are the ones getting the heat. As far as asking guys that "could've wait" you know as much as I do that it could have been dangerous for them for all sorts of reasons. Not sure the Habs would have been interested anyway. What about injuries and just being happy to play in an environment you already know?

As far as hating a team, don't worry. Let them play, pay them a lot, it will help at loving you. Not sure the Leafs minded to draft Kadri even if he admitted being a huge Habs fan.

Old
08-23-2010, 08:09 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

I wonder if those quebecers that didn't came here just didn't want to be the sole Quebec stars on the team, so that all pressure would have been on them... if there was already 1 or 2 good quebecers on the team, maybe they would of signed, since they wouldn't have been the center of the universe...

Anyway this subject is so political and futile it's annoying...

Vasculio is online now   Reply With Quote