HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bill Guerin to Attend Flyers' Camp (posts #227 and #277)

Old
08-22-2010, 05:32 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

vCash: 500
Bring in Fedotenko for Zherdev if we're going to do this. No Guerin please.

Which I guess means we'll sign Guerin.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 05:44 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Fedotenko would be a better option. If your going to go that route.
No he's not.

Guerin is garbage but Fedotenko is a landfill.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 05:46 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
No he's not.

god bless your MST3k username.

bash ironfist!

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 05:47 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Can we start a fire Homer rally like the Rangers did with Slats?

I think its time.
ill make the 7 hour drive down to Philly if it happens.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 05:50 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Agreed. Get Carcillo out of the top 9.
I agree 1000%

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 05:53 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Can we start a fire Homer rally like the Rangers did with Slats?

I think its time.
Sure what is your address?

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 05:54 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
No he's not.

in your opinion. mine he is.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 06:00 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
in your opinion. mine he is.
Ruslan Fedotenko was the worst non-fighter in the NHL last year in my opinion, and by far the worst Penguin to take a regular shift since Shane Endicott's half season. He seemed to have a classic case of Steve Blass Disease where he couldn't do anything right.

As a Penguins fan I'd be thrilled if you guys sign him, but I'm just trying to give you a view of someone who has seen these two guys play each of the past two years. Guerin is hardly even a shell of his former self, but he still does some things right and is a great locker room presence by all accounts. I doubt he'd be getting half the role in Philadelphia that he'd get if he re-signs in Pittsburgh so he may well be a good option, and certainly belongs in the top nine more than Carcillo.

Fedotenko offers nothing right now. There's a difference between a bad season and just losing everything that you had to offer overnight. Even players mired in bad years will have good points but Fedotenko was a liability every night he took to the ice last year.

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 08-22-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 06:04 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

I would have rather just re-signed Asham. Guerin is pretty much done.

Go ask Pens fans what they thought of Guerins' play last season.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 06:10 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixXx View Post
i'd rather see stempniak in a flyers jersey than these two clowns
Uh, as would everyone....

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 06:11 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Agreed. Get Carcillo out of the top 9.
Yeah, I love Carcillo but he is not a top 9 guy. If they got Guerin that would be great for the top line. I would like to see something like this if Guerin were signed:

Guerin-Richards-Zherdev
JVR-Carter-Giroux
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Carcillo-Betts (Powe until Betts is healthy)-Lappy
Shelley/Powe

Although my guess is that if Guerin gets signed a trade will have to be made. I read on Twitter from someone the Kings are interested in Carcillo and there were some discussions (can't remember exactly who but I only follow TheFourthPeriod, Eklund, Timmy P, and Broad Street Bull). Here's a link to an older story about it but the tweet was fairly recent.

http://www.gcobb.com/2010/07/29/flye...d-in-carcillo/

I guess if Guerin was signed and Carcillo was dealt Shelley and Powe would split time on that fourth line.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 06:15 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yeah, I love Carcillo but he is not a top 9 guy. If they got Guerin that would be great for the top line.
Guerin scored 45 points last year playing alongside the greatest player in the world. That should end all discussion about him playing on any top line, IMO.

Old
08-22-2010, 06:18 PM
Garbage Goal

So I guess we're going with 8 d-men and 14 forwards now? Interesting strategy Homer.

Anyways, I think that this is a fricking horrible idea personally.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 06:20 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Anyways, I think that this is a fricking horrible idea personally.
Agreed.

The Penguins, who aren't exactly flush with talent on the wings, decided not to re-sign Guerin, and instead brought in Aaron Asham.

Old
08-22-2010, 06:21 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Flyer View Post
Guerin scored 45 points last year playing alongside the greatest player in the world. That should end all discussion about him playing on any top line, IMO.
Yeah, I don't think a lot of people realize how not-good Guerin was for the Pens last year. Go ask the Pens board if you want. The guys had trouble tapping in tap-ins. He managed only 45 points and 21 goals playing alongside two of the greatest players in the game.

Not to mention the fact that he's also 39. Maybe it's just me, but you shouldn't trust forwards above the age of 35 to keep their play up. Let alone a guy who isn't far off from 40. There's also the 35+ rule which means that we're stuck with his cap hit if he turns into crap for us (which I think he would).

If Guerin was a good idea then I don't think the Pens would be letting him go or that he wouldn't have a job by now.

I don't want this guy signed. Even if it's at league minimum.

Old
08-22-2010, 06:23 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

I can't quote you for some reason GG, but I'm in total agreement with your last post.

The only reason I can think of that anyone would want Guerin at this point, would be for veteran leadership. I think the Flyers are more than fine in this regard.

I'd pass on Guerin for sure.

Old
08-22-2010, 06:26 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
I can't quote you for some reason GG, but I'm in total agreement with your last post.

The only reason I can think of that anyone would want Guerin at this point, would be for veteran leadership. I think the Flyers are more than fine in this regard.

I'd pass on Guerin for sure.
Yeah, I tend to agree with you.

No one else wants him and the Pens thought Asham and Tangradi were better choices then Guerin. That's all that needs to be said.

The best realistic option left for a player to play in our top nine is Stempniak (who I'm a fan of).

Once Homer shipped off Gagne for crap that pretty much sealed the deal with Carcillo playing in our top nine.

Old
08-22-2010, 06:33 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Yeah, I tend to agree with you.

No one else wants him and the Pens thought Asham and Tangradi were better choices then Guerin. That's all that needs to be said.

The best realistic option left for a player to play in our top nine is Stempniak (who I'm a fan of).

Once Homer shipped off Gagne for crap that pretty much sealed the deal with Carcillo playing in our top nine.
I'm on the fence about a guy like Lee Stempniak. The only reason I say this is because of his shooting percentage last season when he got to PHX. Its way above his normal percentage, and makes me wonder what kinda player he really is (with only limited viewings, I cannot say for certain whether I think he fits here). I have a feeling that whoever eventually signs Stemp is gonna end up being disappointed, but that's just a hunch on my part, and I could be completely off base.

But yea, I'd much rather Stemp than Guerin, but no question he'd cost quite a bit more too, and I don't think we have a shot at him. Hell, I'd even look at a guy like Svatos before Guerin, if it's only a cheap one-year deal.

I think when all is said and done, and as you stated, the plan is to have Carcillo play in the top-9, whether any of us agree with that plan or not. And personally, I think he can be an asset up there. We haven't seen the best of what Carcillo can bring to the table yet.

EDIT: The career shooting percentage for Stemp is 10.7% ... When he got to PHX last season, his shooting percentage skyrocketed to 29.2%. Simply put, that PHX percentage can't hold up, which means his numbers in PHX cannot hold up. This doesn't make him a bad option (I'd sign him for the right price), but I think he's risky for anyone who signs him to a deal longer than a year.

Last edited by Shadow Flyer: 08-22-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old
08-22-2010, 06:44 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
I'm on the fence about a guy like Lee Stempniak. The only reason I say this is because of his shooting percentage last season when he got to PHX. Its way above his normal percentage, and makes me wonder what kinda player he really is (with only limited viewings, I cannot say for certain whether I think he fits here). I have a feeling that whoever eventually signs Stemp is gonna end up being disappointed, but that's just a hunch on my part, and I could be completely off base.

But yea, I'd much rather Stemp than Guerin, but no question he'd cost quite a bit more too, and I don't think we have a shot at him. Hell, I'd even look at a guy like Svatos before Guerin, if it's only a cheap one-year deal.

I think when all is said and done, and as you stated, the plan is to have Carcillo play in the top-9, whether any of us agree with that plan or not. And personally, I think he can be an asset up there. We haven't seen the best of what Carcillo can bring to the table yet.
I agree with most of what you said.

Even if you're nervous about Stempniak, what better choice do you have? You mentioned Svatos, but as an Avs fans as well, I can assure you that he's no better a choice then Stempniak. Svatos used to have what it takes to make a major impact scoring-wise, but he doesn't anymore. He hasn't had a major impact offensively since 05-06 and he hasn't had a 70-game NHL season in his career. In a fully, healthy season I imagine that both players, on average, would post around 30 points. Except that Stemp has potential to do even better then that while Svatos doesn't anymore. Even if Stempniak reverts to his usual form (which will likely happen) he's still good for 30ish points.

Carcillo is actually arguably just as good of a choice as Stempniak actually. I agree with you that he has potential he hasn't shown. I think, in the right situation, he can prove to be a valuable player offensively like in the first couple rounds of the playoffs.

The funny thing is that we could have had Gagne in our top nine instead of Carcillo, with the same exact group of forwards we have now, and been set. If he didn't **** up of course.

I can't think of another team that can even come close to what the Flyers could have had.

Gagne-Richards-Giroux
JVR-Carter-Zherdev
Hartnell-Briere-Leino

Impressive, isn't it? That's what could have been. I just wish that Homer would either quit with this three scoring lines ******** or at least commit to it in full. Right now, he hasn't fully committed to the idea because we don't have three full scoring lines.

Old
08-22-2010, 06:53 PM
flountown

Quote:
Dpendin gon the $, i would talk to Mike comrie. A much better fit.
And we would pick up Hillary Duff in the deal, not too shabby...

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 06:58 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
I agree with most of what you said.

Even if you're nervous about Stempniak, what better choice do you have? You mentioned Svatos, but as an Avs fans as well, I can assure you that he's no better a choice then Stempniak. Svatos used to have what it takes to make a major impact scoring-wise, but he doesn't anymore. He hasn't had a major impact offensively since 05-06 and he hasn't had a 70-game NHL season in his career. In a fully, healthy season I imagine that both players, on average, would post around 30 points. Except that Stemp has potential to do even better then that while Svatos doesn't anymore. Even if Stempniak reverts to his usual form (which will likely happen) he's still good for 30ish points.
Oh yea, don't get me wrong, I'd sign Lee at the right price and term. I guess what I'm saying is that I'd be cautious about that dollar and term. I think that's why PHX hasn't been in a rush to re-sign him yet. They're not quite sure what to make of they guy, and neither am I.

Quote:
Carcillo is actually arguably just as good of a choice as Stempniak actually. I agree with you that he has potential he hasn't shown. I think, in the right situation, he can prove to be a valuable player offensively like in the first couple rounds of the playoffs.
I agree on Carcillo. The guy has more offensive upside than what he gets credit for. And let's be honest, there's more intangibles to his game than just offense, as far as opening up the ice for skill players (which is severely underrated on HF boards in general). If he can harness his game better and build chemistry with linemates, he can be a real asset in the top-9.

Quote:
The funny thing is that we could have had Gagne in our top nine instead of Carcillo, with the same exact group of forwards we have now, and been set. If he didn't **** up of course.

I can't think of another team that can even come close to what the Flyers could have had.

Gagne-Richards-Giroux
JVR-Carter-Zherdev
Hartnell-Briere-Leino

Impressive, isn't it? That's what could have been. I just wish that Homer would either quit with this three scoring lines ******** or at least commit to it in full. Right now, he hasn't fully committed to the idea because we don't have three full scoring lines.
Yea, I haven't been pleased with our offseason, but there isn't much more I can say about it. I'd have an easier time trying to build a time machine to go back and convince Homer to take another direction, than I would beating my head against the wall debating the idiocy of some of the moves that have been made. Anyone who reads these boards knows my opinion about our offseason and Homer in general.

"What can you do?"

Old
08-22-2010, 07:11 PM
bennysflyers16

What do we guess Guerin's production will be in year 4 of his new contract that Holmer gives him ???

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 07:12 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
so Guerin played on the Jody Shelley line last year?

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 07:56 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
so Guerin played on the Jody Shelley line last year?
Well, it's pretty much common knowledge that no one compares to Shelley, so I just assumed everyone knew I meant "the greatest player in the world besides Jody Shelley", but I could see how people may have been stumped by my previous statement...

Old
08-22-2010, 08:08 PM
hockeydadx2*

It boggles my mind that anybody would sign Billy G. at this point in time. Absolutely mind-boggling.

Of course, that probably explains why he isn't signed yet.

hockeydadx2* is offline   Reply With Quote