HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Drew Stafford

Old
08-22-2010, 11:28 AM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

vCash: 500
Drew Stafford

Say he was on the trading block? What would it take to pry him out of Buffalo?
Prospect(s)/pick(s)/Vet(s)?

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 11:38 AM
wej20

He's definitely on most Sabres fans trading block. I think Buffalo management would be looking for something similar to the Latendresse/Pouilot deal.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 11:40 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
He's definitely on most Sabres fans trading block. I think Buffalo management would be looking for something similar to the Latendresse/Pouilot deal.
Would make sense. Struggling youngster for another. Stafford for Cogliano?

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 11:43 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Would make sense. Struggling youngster for another. Stafford for Cogliano?
valuewise it's good but I don't think Cogliano is a great fit for the Sabres.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 12:00 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:

yea i dont see them in the position to take a chance on someone like Cogs right now. But valuewise yes i agree. Anyone know what the Sabres needs are? A solid d partner for T. Meyers?

Old
08-22-2010, 12:06 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by predsicle420 View Post
yea i dont see them in the position to take a chance on someone like Cogs right now. But valuewise yes i agree. Anyone know what the Sabres needs are? A solid d partner for T. Meyers?
With any move involving Buffalo you've gotta keep in mind that they're the cheapest team in the league so if anything what they're taking back would have to be a pretty cheap contract. Hell they'd probably take a second rounder and a B prospect for him.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 12:12 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
With any move involving Buffalo you've gotta keep in mind that they're the cheapest team in the league so if anything what they're taking back would have to be a pretty cheap contract. Hell they'd probably take a second rounder and a B prospect for him.

Im a preds fan....i know nothing but cheap, either way i still think Drew is very talented and still has plenty of room to grow does buff not think that or am i missing something?

Old
08-22-2010, 12:15 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvQuY...eature=related

Last edited by CantbeatzPekka: 08-22-2010 at 12:15 PM. Reason: not the smartest with youtube links on here!
Old
08-22-2010, 01:57 PM
ClearedButNotOut
Fixity

vCash: 213
Quote:
Montador, Rivet, Myers, Leopold, Sekera, Butler, Weber, Gragnani, Morissonn.

We don't need anymore D. We'd probably be packaging Sekera or Butler with Stafford.

ClearedButNotOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 05:41 PM
dnicks17

Stafford + Weber to EDM for?

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 05:55 PM
northernKing

I think Stafford would do very well in LA learning from a guy like Dustin Brown. Maybe Stafford for Moller and a 3rd?

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 06:15 PM
Dreakon

Quote:
Im a preds fan....i know nothing but cheap, either way i still think Drew is very talented and still has plenty of room to grow does buff not think that or am i missing something?
Quote:
Just as you can tell in that video, Stafford loves teasing the fans with those moments of great talent and skill... then leaves them hanging with weeks of up and down play. Then he gets benched and comes back with a fire under his ass, just to disappear for another week or two.

Sabres fans hope that those moments of awesomeness and the possibility of a GM wanting to take a chance on a talented young player with consistancy issues, are enough to get a decent return for a player that won't just be tossed around the lineup because we can't find a line that he plays well on year-round. I'd say what we need most is a proven top 6 center with some grit and size. Whether or not we could get that with Stafford+ (unless that + is Miller or Myers), I doubt it.

Last edited by Dreakon: 08-22-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 06:37 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
It's kind of a mixed bag - what the Sabres would add in team speed with Cogliano, they'd forfeit in size with Stafford.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 06:40 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
What makes you think that Edmonton wants Stafford - that 5 year old theory everyone was putting too much stock in just because his uncle was a trainer for the Oilers?

The majority of Sabre fans and Buffalo media members believe that Sekera, not Weber, will be the first defenseman traded by the Sabres.

Old
08-22-2010, 06:43 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
I think most Sabre fans wouldn't dispute that - the big questionmark with Stafford, which Sabre fans are frustrated over, is his commitment to the game or lack thereof. He's proven in the past that he can pot 20 goals and has good hand-eye skills but he's also proven that he's only willing to use such in limited stretches.

Old
08-22-2010, 06:44 PM
nickschultzfan

Stafford to the Wild for Miettinen or Bouchard.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 06:45 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
They're not going to be as cheap this season as Nashville or Dallas, both of whom have set team budgets closer to the cap floor than the ceiling.

Old
08-22-2010, 06:50 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
What makes you think that Edmonton wants Stafford - that 5 year old theory everyone was putting too much stock in just because his uncle was a trainer for the Oilers?

The majority of Sabre fans and Buffalo media members believe that Sekera, not Weber, will be the first defenseman traded by the Sabres.

Brings size to our top 6.

Obviously Weber wouldn't be their first choice to move, but out of BUF's Dmen, he is the most appealing to the Oilers.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 09:46 PM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Stafford for Miettinen sounds good to me...

is the answer jesus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 09:48 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Myth. They're usually in the middle of the league in terms of actual payroll. Last year they spent close to $54 mil. They get the "cheap" tag because they're unwilling to overpay for free agents, their own or other teams'. People also want to cite the Kennedy situation as evidence of their cheapness, rather than the truth, which is that it was part vindictiveness and part they weren't going to pay $1 mil on a one-way deal for a guy who may have ended up as their #5 or #6 LW on the depth chart (some would call this "smart").

Quote:
If you want Weber packaged with Stafford, Buffalo would likely want Brule++. Generally, Buffalo is a small team, and trading Stafford and Weber removes some of the NHL-ready size that the team has. Weber is currently their top defensive prospect, and he has grit. I doubt they'll move him for short of an overpayment.

Quote:
Meh. Miettinen strikes me as selling low for Buffalo. Miettinen puts up similar numbers, but is six years older. I think Buffalo would just as soon hold onto the guy with upside if that was the best offer. Bouchard can put up points, but he's probably too much of a risk for the risk-averse Sabres management, given his ailments and his current cap hit.

Sabres fans are very down on Stafford, but I don't think the organization is, for better or worse. In fact, I think they're expecting big things from him this year, which is a contract year. He's been training with Parise, Okposo, Schroeder, and those guys out in Minnesota this summer. Ruff wants him to defer less (tough to do when his usual running mates are Vanek and Roy) and take more shots this season. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they threw him on a line in the bottom-6 to start the season and told him to be the go-to-guy, offensively, on that line.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 10:00 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Big Brock

Trent Hunter?

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote