HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Yoga, yes Yoga, will help your hockey...

Old
08-22-2010, 11:48 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

vCash: 500
Yoga, yes Yoga, will help your hockey...

Here are a few links to read as a primer, http://www.wzzm13.com/news/news_stor...95442&catid=14 http://www.eqjournalblog.com/?p=27

Several NHL players credit it for their longevity, specifically Mark Recchi. I've gotta say, players younger than maybe 24 or 25 won't benefit from it as much, but for adults who want to keep playing, Yoga will help your endurance, conditioning, durability and even your explosiveness. I've been doing it on and off for several years now and managed to avoid any serious injuries during that time span, perhaps a coincidence, but I tend to doubt it.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 11:54 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Yoga kicks my ass and makes me feel clumsy and uncoordinated.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 12:02 AM
Sensfanman

Alfie does it and he's still going at a PPG pushing 40.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 12:29 AM
nullterm

Got home from practice with a sore back and looked up a yoga schedule to work on flexability and conditioning. Now I see this thread pop up. Creepy.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 01:12 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Yoga kicks my ass and makes me feel clumsy and uncoordinated.
It does that to all guys at first. Just spend a few weeks feeling goofy and you'll get the hang of it.

Old
08-23-2010, 01:32 AM
goord*

i enjoy doing yoga

goord* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 06:13 AM
Injektilo

Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
I would love to do it, it just seems so expensive.

Any idea on which sort of yoga is best for flexibility? The mental stuff is less important to me.

And how often would one need to go to feel an effect? Is an hour a week enough? 4 hours minimum?

I'm gonna look into this....

Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 09:32 AM
Ozolinsh_27

Are there any particular Yoga styles or flavors anyone recommends?

Has anyone tried both yoga and pilates? If so, which did you prefer? I'd love to read anyone's experiences with either. I'm getting older now and the teams I've usually played with aren't practicing much anymore so extra conditioning in off-ice activities is a priority to me.

Ozolinsh_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 07:03 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozolinsh_27 View Post
Are there any particular Yoga styles or flavors anyone recommends?

Has anyone tried both yoga and pilates? If so, which did you prefer? I'd love to read anyone's experiences with either. I'm getting older now and the teams I've usually played with aren't practicing much anymore so extra conditioning in off-ice activities is a priority to me.
It just depends on you. Feel free to start your own regimen, build it as you go. I currently do a Yoga DVD, I don't belong to any studios or anything like that.

Old
08-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

I just do it once a week as part of P90X. Some of those balance poses are kind of tough. I don't do them frequently enough to get much better at them.

Old
08-23-2010, 07:23 PM
zoA

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
I just do it once a week as part of P90X. Some of those balance poses are kind of tough. I don't do them frequently enough to get much better at them.
I do the P90x Yoga 4 times a week, feels great, and because I'm doing it more than once a week, I can literally see results every time I do it again. Sorry, just going to go off on a tangent here, but, as far as p90x, other than Plyometrics and Yoga, I don't see much use in it, but to each their own.

Honestly, Yoga is amazing, I can't pimp it enough. Not only do I feel better physically, but mentally as well. A question to any yoga "experts", I've only done the p90x version so I'm not sure how it differs from traditional yoga classes, but a friend of mine who has done both said the p90x version is way more intense, any truth to that?

zoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 08:19 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoA View Post
I do the P90x Yoga 4 times a week, feels great, and because I'm doing it more than once a week, I can literally see results every time I do it again. Sorry, just going to go off on a tangent here, but, as far as p90x, other than Plyometrics and Yoga, I don't see much use in it, but to each their own.

Honestly, Yoga is amazing, I can't pimp it enough. Not only do I feel better physically, but mentally as well. A question to any yoga "experts", I've only done the p90x version so I'm not sure how it differs from traditional yoga classes, but a friend of mine who has done both said the p90x version is way more intense, any truth to that?
I'm no expert but regular yoga can vary widely in intensity.

Old
08-23-2010, 08:30 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Yoga and pilates will help with any sport - your flexibility, breathing, core strength, and mental focus will all be improved. I do yoga twice a week and pilates once a week in addition to standard cardio and strength training, all to help me with rock climbing and ice climbing.

Epsilon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 09:53 PM
Don panch

Yoga is amazing, it helps you loosen up, feel light on your feet. I was skeptical all my friends made fun of me for taking a class but it was very rewarding, not to mention all the eye candy because more often than not you are surrounded by women.

Don panch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 10:38 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
I do yoga, well "Bodyflow" which is a mixture of yoga, tai chi and pilates...great class

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 10:49 PM
noobman

I went to a yoga class once. It was kind of difficult to do with three legs.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 11:02 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Yoga, restauration, GPP, massages, therapy (both physiological and psychological and chinese methods of relaxation/healing all have great benefits in combination with strength training and skill development.

If you want to be a pro, you need to devote 24/7 to hockey, or close to it.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 11:09 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoA View Post

You must have a huge amount of upper body strength, or simply weren't working yourself hard enough during the other videos. It's great for just building total body conditioning and burning calories in people who are already very strong, and if you don't have a lot of upper body strength to begin with ti will certainly get you to a respectable level there too.

The P90X version holds some poses and moves through some poses the require a good amount of core strength to execute repeatedly in good form. It also throws in push ups in certain spots, etc. You spend a lot of time supporting your body weight on all fours, or balancing on one foot holding awkward poses.

I also find the poses they designed as isometric ab exercises are pretty damn tough.

Last edited by Giroux tha Damaja: 08-23-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old
08-23-2010, 11:20 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Here are a few links to read as a primer, http://www.wzzm13.com/news/news_stor...95442&catid=14 http://www.eqjournalblog.com/?p=27

Several NHL players credit it for their longevity, specifically Mark Recchi. I've gotta say, players younger than maybe 24 or 25 won't benefit from it as much, but for adults who want to keep playing, Yoga will help your endurance, conditioning, durability and even your explosiveness. I've been doing it on and off for several years now and managed to avoid any serious injuries during that time span, perhaps a coincidence, but I tend to doubt it.

Actually, I can attest to its noticeable positive impact at any age. The difference from my teen years (not doing yoga) to my play in my twenties (doing yoga regularly) was night & day, especially in my skating agility and speed.

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 12:17 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Actually, I can attest to its noticeable positive impact at any age. The difference from my teen years (not doing yoga) to my play in my twenties (doing yoga regularly) was night & day, especially in my skating agility and speed.
I'm glad to hear it!

Old
08-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
I'm thinking about starting to do Yoga...How many times a week should I be doing it? Once or twice a week?

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 05:37 PM
Lososaurus

Sorry to be so negative, but can you recommend a yoga plan or video that isn't as boring as watching water evaporate?

Lososaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 06:25 PM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
I went to a yoga class once. It was kind of difficult to do with three legs.
*applause*

raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 07:29 PM
HowToHockey

The pictures on the right is the closest I ever get to yoga

http://en.kllproject.lv/people-and-l...drunk-persons/

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 07:32 PM
GCM
Stork

I can attest to the P90X Yoga being very good. Even though the other workouts are harder, I sweat way more with the Yoga. It's just amazing cardio.

One of the not so apparent facts is that a lot of the poses help build otherwise ignored stabalizer muscles. The smaller muscles that aren't really paid attention too because you can't necessarily see them like some of the more prominent ones (biceps, etc.,).

Yoga's really good for anyone. Consistent stretching helps increase the muscles elasticity and that will prevent minor injuries like sprains from occurring (not completely, but they'll be far less frequent). It will also help cut down on major injuries. Continuing to stretch whilst injured is a good way to speed up recovery because it gets your blood pumping and the more blood that reaches your injured area the faster the healing will go.

So yeah, I agree with this topic, I recommend Toga X from P90X and for people only doing the yoga 2-3 times a week is fine. In fact get P90X's "X Stretch" as well. Then go yoga x, rest day, yoga x, rest day, x stretch, two rest days repeat.

As for how to get just those dvds, I recommend illegal downloading <_<

GCM is offline   Reply With Quote