HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Connecticut Whalers...

Old
08-22-2010, 11:17 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
Connecticut Whalers...

I searched and I couldn't find anything on this this. Did anyone pass on this and not care to post anything or did we just miss this? I found this on icethetics a few days ago and no one posted anything so I figured I would.

http://www.icethetics.info/blog/2010...f-a-whale.html

apparently our affiliate is going to be renamed the CT Whalers. Personally, I like it. I think it will make the fans a little happier. Anyway, what is everyones take on this? I feel like this is out of the blue.

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 11:31 PM
may know

deleted

Last edited by may know: 11-19-2010 at 10:17 PM.
may know is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 11:34 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Don't care what they are called.

08-22-2010, 11:53 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

i knew it would be impossible for them to pull anything off by the beginning of the season, i wouldnt mind the name change, but i dont think hartford will EVER get another team

Old
08-23-2010, 12:00 AM
RESPECT THE SHIELD10

I miss our real Whalers

RESPECT THE SHIELD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 12:13 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RESPECT THE SHIELD10 View Post
I miss our real Whalers
they have been my fantasy team name for a while and i picked up some whalers apparel....best selling apparel in the league, that article said its selling like stanley cup champion merchandise which doesnt surprise me...im just waiting for a re-issue of the 1997 jerseys ive been wanting for years

Old
08-23-2010, 12:50 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Interesting.

Seems the re-branding is inevitable.

If it draws more fans, creates more hockey interest, its better for our young guys at the AHL level.

I'm curious what the new jerseys would look like.

I also wonder how die-hard Wolf Pack fans feel about it, like Squishy???

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 01:02 AM
malfobi88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragshockey88 View Post
they have been my fantasy team name for a while and i picked up some whalers apparel....best selling apparel in the league, that article said its selling like stanley cup champion merchandise which doesnt surprise me...im just waiting for a re-issue of the 1997 jerseys ive been wanting for years
Thats a bit surprising, I bought my sister a Shanahan jersey for X-mas, she was thrilled. I'm trying to acquire a Pat Verbeek. Man I miss the Whale.... or better yet the Nighthawks.

malfobi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 03:28 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragshockey88 View Post
I searched and I couldn't find anything on this this. Did anyone pass on this and not care to post anything or did we just miss this? I found this on icethetics a few days ago and no one posted anything so I figured I would.

http://www.icethetics.info/blog/2010...f-a-whale.html

apparently our affiliate is going to be renamed the CT Whalers. Personally, I like it. I think it will make the fans a little happier. Anyway, what is everyones take on this? I feel like this is out of the blue.
There is a stickied Wolf Pack thread at the top of the board....

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 07:40 AM
Levitate

I'm not sure why it'd draw more fans, specifically old Whalers fans. It's still a team owned by the Rangers and most Whalers fans don't want to cheer for a team owned by a former rival. And on top of that it's just an AHL franchise which is kind of a slap in the face if you ask me.

But I also don't really give a damn about the Whalers either so...

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 08:12 AM
terrrrrible

But are they even still the Rangers affiliate after the upcoming season?

terrrrrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 08:20 AM
Levitate

MSG owns the team so unless they're selling it, then yes it will still be the Rangers affiliate. Judging from the Courant article posted in this thread, it's just that MSG is negotiating to give over the management of team marketing to Baldwin.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 08:41 AM
howztheglass

Funny thought I stopped in at a yard sale(which I never do)over the weekend and believe it or not the guy was selling all kinds of hockey cards(which I collect),I opened up one of the first books and who do I turn to but the Hartford Whalers---man I miss that team.

howztheglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 09:02 AM
howztheglass

Speaking of Whaler players--Look at some former Whalers who played for the Rangers.

M.Rogers
R.Ferraro
Ulf.Samuelsson
B.Shanahan
B.Holik
M.Marlik(sorry had to add him)
M.Nylander
P.Verbeek
B.Stoughton
Nicky Fotiu(where are you)
And of course Lucky Pierre Larouche

I know there's more but alot of good players went through Hartford I wish they would come back but with all of the other cities looking for NHL teams it's not happening.Good luck with Hartford Wolf Pack name change.

howztheglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 09:13 AM
alkurtz

Interesting in that just down the road in Danbury, where the new Federal League (a really low minor league) is beginning play this November, their team will be known as the Danbury Whalers. Their uniforms will be basically the same colors as the original Whalers; I believe their owner was a big time Hartford Whaler fan.

The Federal League will include the latest incarnation of the team in Brooklyn, the New York Aviators.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 09:27 AM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
Interesting in that just down the road in Danbury, where the new Federal League (a really low minor league) is beginning play this November, their team will be known as the Danbury Whalers. Their uniforms will be basically the same colors as the original Whalers; I believe their owner was a big time Hartford Whaler fan.

The Federal League will include the latest incarnation of the team in Brooklyn, the New York Aviators.
I miss the Danbury Trashers of the UHL, Gretzky's bro played for them at one point. It would be great to see Danbury get another team though, they need to use that ice arena for something!

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 09:27 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

My avatar would certainly be in vogue

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 09:37 AM
94now

Danbury Whalers will have an inaugural season this year.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 10:44 AM
alkurtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
I miss the Danbury Trashers of the UHL, Gretzky's bro played for them at one point. It would be great to see Danbury get another team though, they need to use that ice arena for something!
League is definitely getting off of the ground come November. Though it will not be of the quality of the old UHL, it should be fun. Section 102 at the Danbury Arena should be out in full force. I'm hoping that the league has better luck than the few that have tried to replace the UHL in Danbury: the Stars and Hat Hatters were terrible. I'm hoping to attend a bunch of games in Danbury.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 11:01 AM
ManicSubsidal15

Send a message via AIM to ManicSubsidal15
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post

I'm actually planning on trying out for the NY Aviators in a year or two once I'm done playing college hockey haha

ManicSubsidal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 11:04 AM
terrrrrible

Ah the UHL. I think I may have gone to the home opener of the inaugural New Haven Knights 00-01 season, and probably the Beast Of New Haven 98-99 season, though they were AHL.

terrrrrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 11:30 AM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I also wonder how die-hard Wolf Pack fans feel about it, like Squishy???
I think it's a stupid idea. And I think it will allienate die hard Pack fans who've supported the team for the past 13 years while Whalers fans have bi***ed and boycotted. If -- and that's a big if -- Whalers fans suddenly come out of the woodwork to support an AHL team now because it has a different name on it, they're nothing but hypocrites.

I also think anyone who thinks the NHL is going back to Hartford -- Baldwin included -- is delusional.

I've also heard that they willfully want to make the name change mid-season -- I suspect as part of an outdoor game at Baldwin's Whalers Hockey Fest at Rentschler Field in February. And I think that's the most assanine thing I've heard yet, and I really hope the AHL refuses.

(Aren't you glad you asked? )

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 12:08 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Actually, I am glad I asked, lol.

The Wolf Pack have been around for a long time and have their own traditions. And the Rangers have had a long partnership with them.

So, its interesting to get an idea of how die-hard fans of the Wolf Pack feel about it.

If I were a die-hard fan, I'd be furious. I'm more of a fan due to their affiliation with the Rangers and the Rangers prospects playing there. So to me it doesn't matter as long as the Rangers young players develop.

But for die-hard fans it must be infuriating.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 01:24 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
There is a stickied Wolf Pack thread at the top of the board....
yea nothing was in that thread either about it...

anyway, i could see how a die hard fan would get upset at this, but thats probably why they are calling them the connecticut whalers instead of hartford (or i may be wrong considering the city owns the rights, correct??)

Old
08-23-2010, 02:27 PM
GAGLine

According to Wikipedia, the team was once called the Binghamton Whalers. They were an affiliate of Hartford before being sold to the Rangers. So there is some history there.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote