HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Leblanc signs entry-level contract + will play in the Q

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-23-2010, 09:47 AM
  #226
ScopeHockey
Registered User
 
ScopeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
If Leblanc could be a Ryan Kesler type of player, that would be already awesome.
I just don't see him having the same physical impact on a game that guys like Richards and Kesler have; hence the Giroux comparison - a guy who is not a physical 'game breaker' but is able to throw the odd hit and elevate his game even when it gets physical.

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 11:17 AM
  #227
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 23,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeHockey View Post
I just don't see him having the same physical impact on a game that guys like Richards and Kesler have; hence the Giroux comparison - a guy who is not a physical 'game breaker' but is able to throw the odd hit and elevate his game even when it gets physical.
I don't know if he'll be much of a hitter as he has such a slender frame but he will take the body. What I like about his physical game is his compete level, he wants the puck and will go to the dirty areas to get it and often come away with the puck, but he also will carry the puck into the heavy traffic areas to score. I think he would work well in a system with an aggressive forecheck.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 11:26 AM
  #228
JHabs
HFB Partner
 
JHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,355
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I don't know if he'll be much of a hitter as he has such a slender frame but he will take the body. What I like about his physical game is his compete level, he wants the puck and will go to the dirty areas to get it and often come away with the puck, but he also will carry the puck into the heavy traffic areas to score. I think he would work well in a system with an aggressive forecheck.
Same here, I think being physically overwhelming is not exactly whats needed to be such a physical player, its how bad you want it. If he wants it bad enough he could be a very dangerous player.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 11:33 AM
  #229
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,733
vCash: 500
Claude Giroux wasn't very physical as a junior player. He was a crafty, sly player. Not even close to being very agressive as a forward. I saw Claude play for some time in Gatineau. And I saw Leblanc play with his midget AAA team. They are not the same type.

Leblanc DRIVES the net. If he hasn't changed his style, he's like a MANIAC going forward to the net. He drives the net as if his life depended on it. That's the best description I can make of him.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 11:33 AM
  #230
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
Same here, I think being physically overwhelming is not exactly whats needed to be such a physical player, its how bad you want it. If he wants it bad enough he could be a very dangerous player.
Yes exactly. People put too much emphasis on hitting = physical...or size = physical.

I'd toughness, skill and heart before size and physicality. Example...Artyukhin has all the size and physical play in the world, but he has no heart and no toughness needed to succeed in the nhl.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 12:47 PM
  #231
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeHockey View Post
I just don't see him having the same physical impact on a game that guys like Richards and Kesler have; hence the Giroux comparison - a guy who is not a physical 'game breaker' but is able to throw the odd hit and elevate his game even when it gets physical.
He'll be bigger than Giroux or Richards, he's already 6'1" 185lbs at 19, he should fill out to 195-200lbs in 2-4 years.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 12:49 PM
  #232
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I don't know if he'll be much of a hitter as he has such a slender frame but he will take the body. What I like about his physical game is his compete level, he wants the puck and will go to the dirty areas to get it and often come away with the puck, but he also will carry the puck into the heavy traffic areas to score. I think he would work well in a system with an aggressive forecheck.
Not that slender, he's now 6'1" 185lbs at 19...he should add another 10-15lbs by full physical maturation.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 01:42 PM
  #233
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 23,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Not that slender, he's now 6'1" 185lbs at 19...he should add another 10-15lbs by full physical maturation.
Where did you see this? Cause they listed him at 5'11.5 181 at Team Canada's U-20 camp.


http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/feature/?id=25623

When I saw him at Havard he looked tall and very skinny, looks like he needs to fill out his lower body as well.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 02:13 PM
  #234
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,580
vCash: 500
Anyone here from the Terrebonne area ?

Leblanc is expected to play saturday night againts Shawinigan at the forum de la plaine

http://www.larevue.qc.ca/sports_loui...nne-n18669.php

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 03:01 PM
  #235
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Where did you see this? Cause they listed him at 5'11.5 181 at Team Canada's U-20 camp.


http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/feature/?id=25623

When I saw him at Havard he looked tall and very skinny, looks like he needs to fill out his lower body as well.
I think it was either for the Habs prospect camp or in the paper when he signed with Montreal(QMJHL).

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 03:05 PM
  #236
Mue
Registered User
 
Mue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Where did you see this? Cause they listed him at 5'11.5 181 at Team Canada's U-20 camp.
http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=535234

Quote:
As a freshman with the Ivy League team, the 6’1’’ and 184 lbs centreman...
Who knows if it is accurate or not.

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 04:21 PM
  #237
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhldraftvideo View Post
Anyone here from the Terrebonne area ?

Leblanc is expected to play saturday night againts Shawinigan at the forum de la plaine

http://www.larevue.qc.ca/sports_loui...nne-n18669.php
I'm close. But probably won't be able to attend unfortunately.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.