HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Olivier Roy

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-22-2010, 09:23 PM
  #1
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus
 
Zubrus Coffee Maker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cobourg, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,387
vCash: 500
Olivier Roy

hey oilers board, i am currrently in a keeper league and interested in picking up this young goaltender, so i figured who would know him best but the team that drafted him? what do you guys see him as? goaltender of the future? backup? career AHLer? any info would be greatly appreciated

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline  
Old
08-22-2010, 09:33 PM
  #2
millpoo
Registered User
 
millpoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: ST. A
Posts: 1,750
vCash: 500
I think that at this point in his junior career we can say he has starters potential. Wouldn't we say that about any goalie drafted in the last 2 years though?

We all hope he makes the WJC team this year; it could be a real springboard for his development. On the other side of his potential, he certainly has some weaknesses (Size?) that make him anything but a sure thing.

He'd be a real wild card in a keeper league. Keep in mind we won't start seeing returns on this player for probably another 3 or 4 years.

millpoo is offline  
Old
08-22-2010, 09:38 PM
  #3
Ice Whole
Registered User
 
Ice Whole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,652
vCash: 500
I have been saying this for a long time now but I think he will be a star. He won't come in right away and impress like Price, Mason etc. did but he will be well worth the wait. I think around 23-24 he will come in and he will be a really good goalie.

Take a look at this article about him: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...s_olivier_roy/

Ice Whole is offline  
Old
08-22-2010, 09:50 PM
  #4
Perfect_Drug
Registered User
 
Perfect_Drug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,167
vCash: 500
It'll sure be interesting seeing an Oiler Goalie named Roy.

He should wear #33


Perfect_Drug is offline  
Old
08-22-2010, 10:20 PM
  #5
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus
 
Zubrus Coffee Maker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cobourg, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,387
vCash: 500
ahh ok from what i gathered he was only a few years away from making a big impact in the pros, i guess he's more of a project goaltender, so i went with someone else. thanks for the info!

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline  
Old
08-22-2010, 10:40 PM
  #6
Herman72
Season's Warnings
 
Herman72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehta View Post
I have been saying this for a long time now but I think he will be a star. He won't come in right away and impress like Price, Mason etc. did but he will be well worth the wait. I think around 23-24 he will come in and he will be a really good goalie.

Take a look at this article about him: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...s_olivier_roy/
Very interesting and informative article. I've been curious about Roy's history and development since we drafted him and could never really find anything on him other than wildly differing opinions from fans. Thanks for posting.

Herman72 is offline  
Old
08-22-2010, 10:43 PM
  #7
Alex87
Registered User
 
Alex87's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,947
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by millpoo View Post
I think that at this point in his junior career we can say he has starters potential. Wouldn't we say that about any goalie drafted in the last 2 years though?

We all hope he makes the WJC team this year; it could be a real springboard for his development. On the other side of his potential, he certainly has some weaknesses (Size?) that make him anything but a sure thing.

He'd be a real wild card in a keeper league. Keep in mind we won't start seeing returns on this player for probably another 3 or 4 years.
I think you're bang on... remember when everyone thought Justin Pogge was a surefire NHL starter? He could still make it (had decent AHL numbers in a smallish sample size last year) but he's bounced around the minors for a few years now ever since his performance at the WJC a few years back. Just goes to show how random and hard to project goalies are.

Alex87 is offline  
Old
08-23-2010, 12:56 AM
  #8
Tavaresmagicalplay*
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 19,306
vCash: 500
I really have no idea how good he is but apparently he's impressed at WJ camp this year and last and is one of the favourites to be Canadas starting goalie so he must have some talent.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline  
Old
08-23-2010, 12:59 AM
  #9
Kayen
Fire Eakins
 
Kayen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Korea
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,019
vCash: 658
He was IIRC the very last cut in the WJC last year.

Kayen is online now  
Old
08-23-2010, 02:04 AM
  #10
N O T O R I O U S
╱█¯█¯██¯█★█¯██¯█¯█╲
 
N O T O R I O U S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Eminemton
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,752
vCash: 225
Hopefully he makes the WJC this year it would be something

N O T O R I O U S is offline  
Old
08-23-2010, 02:08 AM
  #11
One Trick Pony*
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,022
vCash: 500
Goalies are the biggest crapshoot out there. I can't remember a time that a team was so invested into a certain drafted goalie, other than Bernier and the Kings.

One Trick Pony* is offline  
Old
08-23-2010, 04:33 AM
  #12
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,547
vCash: 500
It's safe to say he's the only goalie prospect in the Oilers system that looks to possibly have #1 potential so the Oilers essentially have all their eggs in one basket right now. Some will argue this but they really haven't done all that well in drafting solid goalies in the last decade or so.

Of course it's probably easier than ever to obtain competent goaltending on the UFA market and there are plenty of overpaid goaltenders that other teams would gladly unload on the Oilers so that may explain some of the complacency the Oilers are showing in acquiring a young legitimate #1 goalie.

If Roy develops well and becomes a #1 several years down the road that's great... in the meantime it will in all likelihood be a 2a-2b system on the team until the Khabby contract expires.

nexttothemoon is offline  
Old
08-23-2010, 04:36 AM
  #13
HemskyToHall*
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,908
vCash: 500
Boom/Bust player, wait til next season on what he does.

He could be named as Team Canada's starter and the world will realize how good this kid really is.

HemskyToHall* is offline  
Old
08-23-2010, 09:52 AM
  #14
Joe Hallenback
Registered User
 
Joe Hallenback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7,621
vCash: 500
One thing people have told me and I have noticed it with limited viewings is that when he was drafted he was a purely athletic type goalie and very poor technically. It is probably one of the biggest reasons he dropped in the draft and I think alot of teams would have thought that after 2 years in the QMJHL his technical abilities would have improved but they didn't. It seems though that the year after his draft he really worked on his technical and postional skills. I wonder if that is the Oilers influence or just his own need to get better.

Whatever the case he has really moved up the ranks for goalie prospects and I really think he will be Canada's goalie next WJCs. People will say we got a steal but alot of that credit is due to Roy improving and not staying static

Joe Hallenback is offline  
Old
08-23-2010, 11:12 AM
  #15
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,766
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
One thing people have told me and I have noticed it with limited viewings is that when he was drafted he was a purely athletic type goalie and very poor technically. It is probably one of the biggest reasons he dropped in the draft and I think alot of teams would have thought that after 2 years in the QMJHL his technical abilities would have improved but they didn't. It seems though that the year after his draft he really worked on his technical and postional skills. I wonder if that is the Oilers influence or just his own need to get better.

Whatever the case he has really moved up the ranks for goalie prospects and I really think he will be Canada's goalie next WJCs. People will say we got a steal but alot of that credit is due to Roy improving and not staying static

What you said is the reason I hate taking goalies early in the draft. It seems a lot of guys that go early stay status quo and think that they have enough skill so they don't work on their game. At least for Roy he seen that he wasn't as good as he might've thought and he realized he needed to work on his game to make the NHL.

Roy just shows what a crap shoot goalies are in the draft.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
08-23-2010, 11:23 AM
  #16
Joe Hallenback
Registered User
 
Joe Hallenback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
What you said is the reason I hate taking goalies early in the draft. It seems a lot of guys that go early stay status quo and think that they have enough skill so they don't work on their game. At least for Roy he seen that he wasn't as good as he might've thought and he realized he needed to work on his game to make the NHL.

Roy just shows what a crap shoot goalies are in the draft.
Which is why I like the Oilers drafting route with Goalies lately. Find Athletic goalies and then see if you can give them a sound technical base.

I was looking at goalies last year that were "young" and made an impact and the 3 that came to mind were Rask,Howard and Halak. A 1st round pick,2nd round pick and 9th round pick. They all share something in common though. They took a few years to really develop and all of them spent multiple seasons in the Minors or Europe. There is no draft a guy at 18 and expect him to come in and dominate right away. I remember people calling Fleury a bust and they are calling Price a bust because they have had "poor" starts to there careers. Goaltending is all about time and development

Joe Hallenback is offline  
Old
08-23-2010, 11:43 AM
  #17
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,766
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Which is why I like the Oilers drafting route with Goalies lately. Find Athletic goalies and then see if you can give them a sound technical base.

I was looking at goalies last year that were "young" and made an impact and the 3 that came to mind were Rask,Howard and Halak. A 1st round pick,2nd round pick and 9th round pick. They all share something in common though. They took a few years to really develop and all of them spent multiple seasons in the Minors or Europe. There is no draft a guy at 18 and expect him to come in and dominate right away. I remember people calling Fleury a bust and they are calling Price a bust because they have had "poor" starts to there careers. Goaltending is all about time and development
Fleury was damn near a bust, but he was able to fight through the crap Pittsburgh put him through. The real problem I have with drafting goalies is they take longer and waivers come into play too early. I really wish they went back to the old waiver system. In the long run you have to think that a goalie would be better off playing in the AHL then sitting on the bench in the NHL not getting playing time.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
08-23-2010, 01:30 PM
  #18
alexo
Registered User
 
alexo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 554
vCash: 500
I think he's got good start potential, however I'm not sure why you'd waste a spot on a guy who likely won't see full time starter role for like 5 years.

alexo is offline  
Old
06-29-2012, 03:08 AM
  #19
lakai17
Registered User
 
lakai17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,080
vCash: 50
This guy is due for some respect, I believe Bunz is solid but Roy will turn heads soon enough.

This guy outperformed Jonathan Bernier in a playoff series in his rookie season.

lakai17 is offline  
Old
06-29-2012, 01:27 PM
  #20
Joseppi
Registered User
 
Joseppi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kepler-22b
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,104
vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
This guy is due for some respect, I believe Bunz is solid but Roy will turn heads soon enough.

This guy outperformed Jonathan Bernier in a playoff series in his rookie season.
By the numbers, he had an amazing year this year.

ECHL: 40gp 2.49gaa 0.925
AHL: 3gp 2.34gaa 0.937

I know a lot of people soured on him after the WJC, but he really seems to have buckled down and improved in a big way. Hopefully there are posters out there who saw him play this year and can give an idea on his overall game.

Joseppi is offline  
Old
06-29-2012, 01:29 PM
  #21
Oilbleeder
Moderator
RattsSSV on the avy
 
Oilbleeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,309
vCash: 500
Prospect thread up top. No need to bump a 2 year old thread.

__________________
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/nemesis15/QuadSig-OB.gif <-- Credit goes to The Nemesis.
Oilbleeder is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.