HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Olivier Roy

Closed Thread

Old
08-22-2010, 09:23 PM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

vCash: 500
Olivier Roy

hey oilers board, i am currrently in a keeper league and interested in picking up this young goaltender, so i figured who would know him best but the team that drafted him? what do you guys see him as? goaltender of the future? backup? career AHLer? any info would be greatly appreciated

Old
08-22-2010, 09:33 PM
millpoo

I think that at this point in his junior career we can say he has starters potential. Wouldn't we say that about any goalie drafted in the last 2 years though?

We all hope he makes the WJC team this year; it could be a real springboard for his development. On the other side of his potential, he certainly has some weaknesses (Size?) that make him anything but a sure thing.

He'd be a real wild card in a keeper league. Keep in mind we won't start seeing returns on this player for probably another 3 or 4 years.

Old
08-22-2010, 09:38 PM
Ice Whole

I have been saying this for a long time now but I think he will be a star. He won't come in right away and impress like Price, Mason etc. did but he will be well worth the wait. I think around 23-24 he will come in and he will be a really good goalie.

Take a look at this article about him: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...s_olivier_roy/

Old
08-22-2010, 09:50 PM
Perfect_Drug

It'll sure be interesting seeing an Oiler Goalie named Roy.

He should wear #33

Old
08-22-2010, 10:20 PM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

ahh ok from what i gathered he was only a few years away from making a big impact in the pros, i guess he's more of a project goaltender, so i went with someone else. thanks for the info!

Old
08-22-2010, 10:40 PM
Herman72
Season's Warnings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehta View Post
I have been saying this for a long time now but I think he will be a star. He won't come in right away and impress like Price, Mason etc. did but he will be well worth the wait. I think around 23-24 he will come in and he will be a really good goalie.

Take a look at this article about him: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...s_olivier_roy/
Very interesting and informative article. I've been curious about Roy's history and development since we drafted him and could never really find anything on him other than wildly differing opinions from fans. Thanks for posting.

Old
08-22-2010, 10:43 PM
Alex87

Quote:
Originally Posted by millpoo View Post
I think that at this point in his junior career we can say he has starters potential. Wouldn't we say that about any goalie drafted in the last 2 years though?

We all hope he makes the WJC team this year; it could be a real springboard for his development. On the other side of his potential, he certainly has some weaknesses (Size?) that make him anything but a sure thing.

He'd be a real wild card in a keeper league. Keep in mind we won't start seeing returns on this player for probably another 3 or 4 years.
I think you're bang on... remember when everyone thought Justin Pogge was a surefire NHL starter? He could still make it (had decent AHL numbers in a smallish sample size last year) but he's bounced around the minors for a few years now ever since his performance at the WJC a few years back. Just goes to show how random and hard to project goalies are.

Old
08-23-2010, 12:56 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

I really have no idea how good he is but apparently he's impressed at WJ camp this year and last and is one of the favourites to be Canadas starting goalie so he must have some talent.

Old
08-23-2010, 12:59 AM
Kayen
Fire Eakins

vCash: 658
He was IIRC the very last cut in the WJC last year.

Old
08-23-2010, 02:04 AM
N O T O R I O U S
╱█¯█¯██¯█★█¯██¯█¯█╲

vCash: 225
Hopefully he makes the WJC this year it would be something

Old
08-23-2010, 02:08 AM
One Trick Pony*

Goalies are the biggest crapshoot out there. I can't remember a time that a team was so invested into a certain drafted goalie, other than Bernier and the Kings.

Old
08-23-2010, 04:33 AM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

It's safe to say he's the only goalie prospect in the Oilers system that looks to possibly have #1 potential so the Oilers essentially have all their eggs in one basket right now. Some will argue this but they really haven't done all that well in drafting solid goalies in the last decade or so.

Of course it's probably easier than ever to obtain competent goaltending on the UFA market and there are plenty of overpaid goaltenders that other teams would gladly unload on the Oilers so that may explain some of the complacency the Oilers are showing in acquiring a young legitimate #1 goalie.

If Roy develops well and becomes a #1 several years down the road that's great... in the meantime it will in all likelihood be a 2a-2b system on the team until the Khabby contract expires.

Old
08-23-2010, 04:36 AM
HemskyToHall*

Boom/Bust player, wait til next season on what he does.

He could be named as Team Canada's starter and the world will realize how good this kid really is.

Old
08-23-2010, 09:52 AM
Joe Hallenback

One thing people have told me and I have noticed it with limited viewings is that when he was drafted he was a purely athletic type goalie and very poor technically. It is probably one of the biggest reasons he dropped in the draft and I think alot of teams would have thought that after 2 years in the QMJHL his technical abilities would have improved but they didn't. It seems though that the year after his draft he really worked on his technical and postional skills. I wonder if that is the Oilers influence or just his own need to get better.

Whatever the case he has really moved up the ranks for goalie prospects and I really think he will be Canada's goalie next WJCs. People will say we got a steal but alot of that credit is due to Roy improving and not staying static

Old
08-23-2010, 11:12 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
One thing people have told me and I have noticed it with limited viewings is that when he was drafted he was a purely athletic type goalie and very poor technically. It is probably one of the biggest reasons he dropped in the draft and I think alot of teams would have thought that after 2 years in the QMJHL his technical abilities would have improved but they didn't. It seems though that the year after his draft he really worked on his technical and postional skills. I wonder if that is the Oilers influence or just his own need to get better.

Whatever the case he has really moved up the ranks for goalie prospects and I really think he will be Canada's goalie next WJCs. People will say we got a steal but alot of that credit is due to Roy improving and not staying static

What you said is the reason I hate taking goalies early in the draft. It seems a lot of guys that go early stay status quo and think that they have enough skill so they don't work on their game. At least for Roy he seen that he wasn't as good as he might've thought and he realized he needed to work on his game to make the NHL.

Roy just shows what a crap shoot goalies are in the draft.

Old
08-23-2010, 11:23 AM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
What you said is the reason I hate taking goalies early in the draft. It seems a lot of guys that go early stay status quo and think that they have enough skill so they don't work on their game. At least for Roy he seen that he wasn't as good as he might've thought and he realized he needed to work on his game to make the NHL.

Roy just shows what a crap shoot goalies are in the draft.
Which is why I like the Oilers drafting route with Goalies lately. Find Athletic goalies and then see if you can give them a sound technical base.

I was looking at goalies last year that were "young" and made an impact and the 3 that came to mind were Rask,Howard and Halak. A 1st round pick,2nd round pick and 9th round pick. They all share something in common though. They took a few years to really develop and all of them spent multiple seasons in the Minors or Europe. There is no draft a guy at 18 and expect him to come in and dominate right away. I remember people calling Fleury a bust and they are calling Price a bust because they have had "poor" starts to there careers. Goaltending is all about time and development

Old
08-23-2010, 11:43 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Which is why I like the Oilers drafting route with Goalies lately. Find Athletic goalies and then see if you can give them a sound technical base.

I was looking at goalies last year that were "young" and made an impact and the 3 that came to mind were Rask,Howard and Halak. A 1st round pick,2nd round pick and 9th round pick. They all share something in common though. They took a few years to really develop and all of them spent multiple seasons in the Minors or Europe. There is no draft a guy at 18 and expect him to come in and dominate right away. I remember people calling Fleury a bust and they are calling Price a bust because they have had "poor" starts to there careers. Goaltending is all about time and development
Fleury was damn near a bust, but he was able to fight through the crap Pittsburgh put him through. The real problem I have with drafting goalies is they take longer and waivers come into play too early. I really wish they went back to the old waiver system. In the long run you have to think that a goalie would be better off playing in the AHL then sitting on the bench in the NHL not getting playing time.

Old
08-23-2010, 01:30 PM
alexo

I think he's got good start potential, however I'm not sure why you'd waste a spot on a guy who likely won't see full time starter role for like 5 years.

Old
06-29-2012, 03:08 AM
lakai17

vCash: 50
This guy is due for some respect, I believe Bunz is solid but Roy will turn heads soon enough.

This guy outperformed Jonathan Bernier in a playoff series in his rookie season.

Old
06-29-2012, 01:27 PM
Joseppi

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
This guy is due for some respect, I believe Bunz is solid but Roy will turn heads soon enough.

This guy outperformed Jonathan Bernier in a playoff series in his rookie season.
By the numbers, he had an amazing year this year.

ECHL: 40gp 2.49gaa 0.925
AHL: 3gp 2.34gaa 0.937

I know a lot of people soured on him after the WJC, but he really seems to have buckled down and improved in a big way. Hopefully there are posters out there who saw him play this year and can give an idea on his overall game.

Old
06-29-2012, 01:29 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Prospect thread up top. No need to bump a 2 year old thread.