Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Bantam age Summer Camp suggestions.

Old
08-22-2010, 09:56 PM
Rat Fink 65

vCash: 500
Bantam age Summer Camp suggestions.

I'm finding HFBoards to be a wealth of information!.

Im wondering if anyone has some suggestions on some good "high end" hockey camps for 2nd year Bantam aged players?.

Im looking for camps during the 2011 summer months.

I am enquiring for next summer as my son will be a 2nd year player and is wanting to prep himself for possibly some WHL camp tryouts or Major Midget.

Im open to all suggestions, Thanks in advance.

Rat Fink 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 10:20 PM
Futures

assume much

Futures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 10:43 PM
Rat Fink 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futures View Post
assume much
How is asking about good quality camps assuming anything?

From where I come from any 15 year old can try out for Major Midget and most Bantam AAA players get invites to the WHL open camps not main camp.

Your d*ckhead/d*uche bag response is not required.

Last edited by Rat Fink 65: 08-22-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Old
08-23-2010, 12:59 AM
The Bench

A one week camp is not going to prepare your kid for his bantam year. First, don't pressure him. The draft isn't the end all be all. If he desires/insists on it - Find a fitness centre that focuses on proper hockey dryland (speed, explosion, core, strength) combined with nutrition and rest. Can't give a specific recommendation unless you identify your city. Then add in a hockey mentor which involves a program beyond a week.
But don't waste your time if you have to push him to do his daily work or if he doesn't play balls out all the time or if he doesn't identify and believe in a big goal, or if he isn't in the top tier in all facets (speed, skill, skating, brains, work ethic, dedication).
Green light on this and you want to see where he's at then go to one of those so-called eval camps or an elite camp, or check with your local Junior A/DUB team what he should do or go. If he's a prospect, that team should be familiar with him. If he's not top tier or doesn't relish the opportunity - likely not a prospect, UNLESS he gets hungry and persists despite what someone says.
To answer your question - possibilities, if he works his tail off for a couple months prior - check the Hockey News for the summer camps, specifically for AAA/elite players - POE/Edge, Serdachny, Notre Dame, NCAA Division 1 school camps, Shattucks-St. Marys. Then get feedback from his instructors - can he get to the next level. Do you know a top midget/junior A/DUB player? Ask them what they did.
BUT, I'll say it again, if he doesn't desire it, don't bother. If he insists on something and stays committed, find the local training/hockey gurus - 2/3 times a week with them plus the right stuff on his own is what he needs - no value in a one week camp if that is all he's going to do. But leave time for life, other sports, vacation.

The Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 12:19 PM
Rat Fink 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bench View Post
A one week camp is not going to prepare your kid for his bantam year. First, don't pressure him. The draft isn't the end all be all. If he desires/insists on it - Find a fitness centre that focuses on proper hockey dryland (speed, explosion, core, strength) combined with nutrition and rest. Can't give a specific recommendation unless you identify your city. Then add in a hockey mentor which involves a program beyond a week.
But don't waste your time if you have to push him to do his daily work or if he doesn't play balls out all the time or if he doesn't identify and believe in a big goal, or if he isn't in the top tier in all facets (speed, skill, skating, brains, work ethic, dedication).
Green light on this and you want to see where he's at then go to one of those so-called eval camps or an elite camp, or check with your local Junior A/DUB team what he should do or go. If he's a prospect, that team should be familiar with him. If he's not top tier or doesn't relish the opportunity - likely not a prospect, UNLESS he gets hungry and persists despite what someone says.
To answer your question - possibilities, if he works his tail off for a couple months prior - check the Hockey News for the summer camps, specifically for AAA/elite players - POE/Edge, Serdachny, Notre Dame, NCAA Division 1 school camps, Shattucks-St. Marys. Then get feedback from his instructors - can he get to the next level. Do you know a top midget/junior A/DUB player? Ask them what they did.
BUT, I'll say it again, if he doesn't desire it, don't bother. If he insists on something and stays committed, find the local training/hockey gurus - 2/3 times a week with them plus the right stuff on his own is what he needs - no value in a one week camp if that is all he's going to do. But leave time for life, other sports, vacation.
Thanks "Bench" very good points. Im actually not trying to prep my son for his Bantam year, he will be a 2nd year player this year.

I think that the Bantam draft is blown out of proportion. I dont think a 15 year old player will necessarily be the same player 2 or 3 years down the line.

My son has been working out with a Major Midget program and finds this really helpful.

We just finished a summer camp in Vancouver and although my son enjoyed it, he found that the pace was somewhat slow due to the wide variety of skill-which is fine, but maybe not for him again next year.

My son was wondering about AAA camps in BC, Alta and possibly Sask that may offer a higher tempo-you have provided some excellent tips-