HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Opening Day Roster

Old
08-22-2010, 05:18 PM
LightningBurrows
ThreatLevelMidnight

vCash: 93
Opening Day Roster

Hello Panther Fans i come in peace
Just wondering what you guys think the opening day Line-up will be. Here's me try at it

Booth-Weiss-Frolik
Stillman-Matthias-Bernier
Olesz-Reinprecht-Grabner
Higgins-Reasoner-Dvorak

Wideman-McCabe
Allen-Kulikov
Paetsch-Ellerby
Garrison,Weaver

Vokoun
Clemmensen

LightningBurrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 05:41 PM
ShootIt

vCash: 500
I remember Tallon saying that we had our two top6 left wingers in Higgins and Booth, but I'm sure that's might not be the case depending on how Higgins does in camp.

What I would like to see:
1st line same as yours.
Stillman-Matthias-Grabner Playmaker-Power forward- sniper
Higgins-Reinprecht-Bernier
Olesz-Reasoner-Dvorak
Bitz

McCabe-Allen
Wideman-Kulikov
Garrison-Weaver
Paetsch

Vokoun
Clemm

ShootIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 06:27 PM
KWGoon

All I can say is we're all set on the 3rd and 4th lines and the 3rd and 4th pairings.

Our roster looks like a poker hand with 2,3,7,9,K with all suits represented. (Vokoun's the K of course.)

KWGoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 07:38 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Booth - Weiss - Frolik
Higgins - Reinprecht - Grabner
Bernier - Matthias - Stillman
Olesz - Reasoner - Bitz

Repik, Dadanov, McCardle, and Santorelli in the mix

Cabs - Kuli
Allen - Wideman
Garrison - Weaver

Paetch, Ellerby, and Gudbranson in the mix

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 08:58 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
I'm pretty convinced that at some point before the season starts or early in the season, one of the wingers will most likely get traded. We definitely have one too many at this point on 1-way deals. But at this point, I'd say the lines look like:

Booth - Weiss - Frolik
Higgins - Reinprecht - Bernier
Stillman - Matthias - Grabner
Olesz - Reasoner - Dvorak
Extras: Bitz, Peters

McCabe - Wideman
Allen - Kulikov
Garrison - Weaver
Extra: Paetsch

With that said, I wouldnt be totally surprised to see Stillman traded and Olesz or Bitz moved up. As much as I'd like to pencil in Grabner on the 2nd line for opening day, I think he may not start there immediately. But within a few months I could easily see it happening...think of how Frolik started on the 3rd line and moved up eventually. I also could see Matthias moving up to the 2nd line by mid season.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 01:33 PM
Montsy14

vCash: 50
Booth - Weiss - Frolik
Stillman - Matthias - Bernier

McCabe - Wideman
Garrison - Kulikov
Allen - Weaver/Paetsch

Vokoun
Clemm

I can see Repik being brought in if Grabner isn't performing. Santorelli could be competing with Matthias for the 3rd line center spot. Then you have Dadonov and McCardle likely ready to take Olesz spot on the 4th line.

I don't think Guds will be on the team, another full year in junior will do him well (remember he missed quite a bit of time this past season).

Markstrom WILL get games in the NHL this season, assuming Vokoun gets dealt at the deadline or if we are completely out of it come the last few weeks of the season.

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 03:27 PM
CanadianPantherFan

A lot of you are forgetting Dvo on your lines...A line of Olesz-Reino-Dvo might actually be half way decent as a 3rd line if Matthias can handle full time 2nd line C. duties.

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 04:42 PM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

matthias isnt gonna be the second line center, reino is clearly a better center at this point. but inasmuch as the 2nd and 3rd lines will be almost interchangeable because theyre really all a bunch of 3rd liners i guess it doesnt matter. i do wonder who if anyone on our team will show some toughness and stand up for our guys. allen is the only one i can think of who has a history of getting into some fights.

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 05:54 PM
Hip to be Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
Booth - Weiss - Frolik
Stillman - Matthias - Bernier

McCabe - Wideman
Garrison - Kulikov
Allen - Weaver/Paetsch

Vokoun
Clemm

I can see Repik being brought in if Grabner isn't performing. Santorelli could be competing with Matthias for the 3rd line center spot. Then you have Dadonov and McCardle likely ready to take Olesz spot on the 4th line.

I don't think Guds will be on the team, another full year in junior will do him well (remember he missed quite a bit of time this past season).

Markstrom WILL get games in the NHL this season, assuming Vokoun gets dealt at the deadline or if we are completely out of it come the last few weeks of the season.
This one is pretty realistic. It gives off quite a pathetic vibe to it when typed out though. At least the future is looking bright.

Hip to be Square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 10:24 PM
BabyJagrov

My line-up:

Forwards:

David Booth - Stephen Weiss - Michael Grabner
Michael Frolik - Shawn Matthias - Michael Repik
Chris Higgins - Mike Santorelli - Steve Bernier
Rostislav Olesz - Marty Reasoner - Radek Dvorak

Byron Bitz, Andrew Peters

Defensemen:

Dmitry Kulikov - Bryan McCabe
Jason Garrison - Dennis Wideman
Bryan Allen - Mike Weaver

Nathan Paetsch

Goalies:

Tomas Vokoun
Antti Niemi

Trade Reinprecht, Stillman and Clemmensen for whatever or wait until the deadline... We may keep Reinprecht... But as someone else said, we have too many wingers ! Grabner, Bernier, Higgins, Booth, Frolik, Olesz, Dvorak have jobs "for sure" IMO... We have one spot left for Repik, Dadonov, McCardle, Bitz, Peters, Stillman or a surprise... That's too much, even if that means we have depth... Go get a couple of picks Dale, and sign your buddy Niemi... Go with the kids... Go Couturier !!! Go Larsson !!!

Oh and... I didn't say it, but I really think we have an outside chance at the playoffs... Or an Oilers-of-last-year kind of season !

BabyJagrov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 03:42 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
I can see 1 or 2 suprise forwards make the team out of training camp/pre season. Either because injuries or they just out hustle guys.

My prediction for surprise of the year is Shawn Matthias. I liked what he showed at times last season and I hear he's been in south florida nearly all summer training, getting beefed up etc and seems dedicated to take the next step. He at times reminded me of a taller Weiss but not as good defensivly.

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 02:30 PM
305Pantera

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Panther View Post
matthias isnt gonna be the second line center, reino is clearly a better center at this point. but inasmuch as the 2nd and 3rd lines will be almost interchangeable because theyre really all a bunch of 3rd liners i guess it doesnt matter. i do wonder who if anyone on our team will show some toughness and stand up for our guys. allen is the only one i can think of who has a history of getting into some fights.
Allen is the only guy who seems to be willing to fight, I've noticed this as well. While McCabe did challenge Richards, I really wish somebody would have just taken him out. . As far as I'm concerned they should have been gunning for him the whole time. Slash him, hit him, fight him, just get him off the ice!

Back on topic, does anyone see Matthias surpassing Reino for the 2nd line C? I'm also not so sure Higgins will be in the top two lines, but I guess time will tell.

305Pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 02:45 PM
TimHortons
Gud Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305Pantera View Post
I'm also not so sure Higgins will be in the top two lines, but I guess time will tell.
We're all slotting him in as the 2LW because Tallon pretty much said so when he signed him.

Quote:
General Manager Dale Tallon said Higgins will be a top-six forward for the Panthers, adding that with Higgins behind David Booth on the left wing, "that's pretty damn good."
I think there will be some decent competition for all 2nd line spots. Stillman being Higgins main competition. Matthias pushing Reino for the 2C and Grabner/Bernier pushing each other for 2RW.

TimHortons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 10:16 PM
KWGoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
I can see 1 or 2 suprise forwards make the team out of training camp/pre season. Either because injuries or they just out hustle guys.

My prediction for surprise of the year is Shawn Matthias. I liked what he showed at times last season and I hear he's been in south florida nearly all summer training, getting beefed up etc and seems dedicated to take the next step. He at times reminded me of a taller Weiss but not as good defensivly.
How would you define "surprise"? If he makes 2nd line, I think it's within expectations on a weak team like this. If he puts up some decent numbers, I'll agree. In any case, I agree that he has the tools and could make a case for himself ...... to be traded to the Rags in the offseason.

KWGoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 11:44 AM
BamBam

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Cabs - Kuli
Allen - Wideman
Garrison - Weaver

Paetch, Ellerby, and Gudbranson in the mix
out of the three.
do you think ellerby has the best chance for 7th D?

BamBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 11:51 AM
billysbreakdown

vCash: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBam View Post
out of the three.
do you think ellerby has the best chance for 7th D?
Probably Paetsch.
Guds needs another year with the Frontnecs and Ellerby seems to not be very liked by DeBoer (he gave him like two minutes a game last year).

billysbreakdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 06:43 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
From what I saw in the scrimmage yesterday, these would be the lines/pairings I would use:

Forward Lines:

David Booth - Stephen Weiss - Michael Grabner
Chris Higgins - Steven Reinprecht - Michael Frolik
Cory Stillman - Shawn Matthias - Steve Bernier
Rostislav Olesz - Marty Reasoner - Radek Dvorak

Extras: Byron Bitz, Andrew Peters

Defensemen Pairings:

Dmitry Kulikov - Jason Garrison
Bryan Allen - Dennis Wideman
Bryan McCabe - Mike Weaver

Extra: Nathan Paetsch

Goalies:

Tomas Vokoun
Scott Clemmensen

That being said, I would make a move to really try and trade Reinprecht as I was really impressed with Santorelli and would rather him in the lineup but Reinprecht wasnt bad so couldnt justify taking him out of the lineup.

Some would notice that I dont have Frolik on the 1st line but I think he's less confident on a line with Weiss & Booth. He seems to not feel like he can take control on that line but when he's on another line, he looks more of what everyone expects from him. Higgins will also benefit from him being on that line as well IMO. That also gives the team 3 balanced, scoring lines which is what Tallon wants.

On defense, I'm sure everyone will notice that I have Garrison on the top pairing with Kulikov and McCabe on the 3rd pairing. I'm sorry but McCabe is too mistake-prone for me to be on a top 4 pairing. I could swap him and Wideman but I think Wideman is better at creating offense so I like him on the 2nd pairing with Allen. Weaver is good enough to cover up some of the gaffes of McCabe. And Garrison seemed really good yesterday that I think he would play well with Kulikov.

Thats almost a team that could sneak into the playoffs.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 02:18 AM
Erick

Booth-Weiss-Grabner
Higgins-Reinprecht-Stillman
Olesz-Matthias-Frolik
Dvorak-Reasoner-Bernier

Healthy Scratches: Bitz, Peters

Kulikov-Weaver
McCabe-Garrison
Wideman-Allen

Healthy Scratches: Paetsch

Vokoun
Clemmensen

Line 1-Booth/Weiss/Grabner = 3 guys that can create for themselves; all have + speed. Booth and Grabner on the wings would be difficult to stop.

Line 2-Experienced line. Higgins already stated in his interview that he knows what Stillman is about having played against him for years. A line in which all 3 players could give about 50+ points.

Line 3-I put Frolik on this line for a reason. Frolik on a 3rd line is pretty damn good, and it shows how our depth has improved. However, the main reason is for Olesz. If Olesz can't show improvement playing with a skilled linemate from the same country, and also a skilled young center in Matthias, it's time to give it up. Olesz and Frolik played on the same line in preseason I believe a couple of years ago, and they made some things happen. I'd like to see if they can elevate each other's game. It would be a line with a lot of potential, at least.

Line 4-Experienced, gritty line.

With the D men...I believe our best stay-at-home D man at this point is Weaver. I'd like to see Kulikov get heavily involved, offensively, and not be scared to make mistakes. In cases he does, he'll have Weaver backing him up.

I'd also like to see Allen get the least amount of playing time out of the D men. No offensive potential, and defensively, he's just slow at this point in his career, imo. Not really a big fan...just pair him up with the offensive-minded Wideman, and have him be a "stay at home" guy.

Just the way I'd do it.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote