HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Bobby Sanguinetti

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-23-2010, 02:40 PM
  #1
Brock Anton
Deal with it.
 
Brock Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Westerly, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 11,548
vCash: 500
Bobby Sanguinetti

Canes fan here.

I was wondering about what to expect out of Bobby now and in the future. Figured I'd ask you guys sinnce you know the most about him. I know his potential is not as high as it once was, but are we looking at a future Top 4 guy or a solid guy in the top 6 that can contribute on the power play. He's likely to start the year in the AHL. Thanks.


Mods - move this if need be.

Brock Anton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 02:43 PM
  #2
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NoVA / NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 67,389
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
His potential is that of a cruddier version of Tom Poti right now, I'd say. His total lack of physical game will really hinder him in the NHL. I still think he's going to be a NHLer one day, but a 5/6 guy and not the 3/4 that a lot felt he could be.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
Sestito still on the make a wish tour. - rholt168
"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 02:52 PM
  #3
Fitzy
Relative to what?
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,190
vCash: 50
You're looking at a J-M Liles if he pans out.
But i'd give him only about a 25% NHL success rate at this point, he is far too easily muscled off the puck for NHL defensive work, especially in the top 4.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 02:53 PM
  #4
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 11,981
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggy21 View Post
Canes fan here.

I was wondering about what to expect out of Bobby now and in the future. Figured I'd ask you guys sinnce you know the most about him. I know his potential is not as high as it once was, but are we looking at a future Top 4 guy or a solid guy in the top 6 that can contribute on the power play. He's likely to start the year in the AHL. Thanks.


Mods - move this if need be.
Take everything you read in this thread with a grain of salt unless the poster indicates he or she is a Hartford Wolfpack fan... The rest of us only got to see a limited amount of Bobby Sanguinetti and I would safely guess it was no where near enough to give you an accurately assessment of his long term projection in or outside of the NHL...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 02:55 PM
  #5
John Torturella
Registered User
 
John Torturella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,832
vCash: 500
Give me a B

Give me a U

Give me an S

And give me a T

What does that spell?

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 02:55 PM
  #6
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NoVA / NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 67,389
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
Give me a B

Give me a U

Give me an S

And give me a T

What does that spell?
Don Maloney's draft picks?

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 02:56 PM
  #7
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 7,772
vCash: 500
while he may not be a 1st pair guy, hes a very solid offensive defenseman whom i believe got a raw deal here in ny. he never got a real shot. his numbers in the a were solid and he was an ahl allstar.

he was passed on the depth chart by delzotto and by the recently signed ryan mcdonough.

people forget that at the time he was drafted, he was considered to be a very solid offensive dman prospect- the kid was taken in the 1st round.

my real assessment is that hes going to be a solid 2nd pair guy who will play alot of pp minutes.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 03:00 PM
  #8
Fitzy
Relative to what?
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,190
vCash: 50
4 years since he's been drafted; draft position really is utterly meaningless at this point. Everybody knows what the kid is, its about how he transitions to the NHL now.

I dont see too people valuing Sauer highly for being a 2005 2nd rounder over a guy like Valentenko or Pashnin. In truth he and Valantenko are very lose in ability.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 03:06 PM
  #9
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NoVA / NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 67,389
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
while he may not be a 1st pair guy, hes a very solid offensive defenseman whom i believe got a raw deal here in ny. he never got a real shot. his numbers in the a were solid and he was an ahl allstar.

he was passed on the depth chart by delzotto and by the recently signed ryan mcdonough.

people forget that at the time he was drafted, he was considered to be a very solid offensive dman prospect- the kid was taken in the 1st round.

my real assessment is that hes going to be a solid 2nd pair guy who will play alot of pp minutes.
Who cares where he was taken? What's he done to warrant even getting an extended look in the NHL? He wasn't given a raw deal. He just wasn't good enough.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 03:11 PM
  #10
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,583
vCash: 500
Poti IMO is a very good comparible. Sanguinetti has all the tools to be a top 4--maybe even more. He needs to play meaner and more physical. He needs to be better defensively. He has a lot of offensive ability but his offensive instincts lag behind his skating, passing, shooting skills. His game seemed to fall off the second half of last season after a big start. After a pretty good first season in Hartford I would be hard pressed to say he progressed at all in his second season. His few games in New York were not impressive. Maybe he needed another team.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 03:16 PM
  #11
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 7,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Who cares where he was taken? What's he done to warrant even getting an extended look in the NHL? He wasn't given a raw deal. He just wasn't good enough.
he was moved too soon. he never really showed what he could do. he went to what, one camp ?? gimme a break.

im guessing torts the clown didnt like him.

hes korpikoski 2.0 without a season to show his stuff. he never got a real chance to either prove himself worthy or unworthy. he was just dispatched. too soon.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 03:22 PM
  #12
John Torturella
Registered User
 
John Torturella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
he was moved too soon. he never really showed what he could do. he went to what, one camp ?? gimme a break.

im guessing torts the clown didnt like him.

hes korpikoski 2.0 without a season to show his stuff. he never got a real chance to either prove himself worthy or unworthy. he was just dispatched. too soon.
If he is Korpikoski 2.0 thankfully we got something for him.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 03:39 PM
  #13
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
he was moved too soon. he never really showed what he could do. he went to what, one camp ?? gimme a break.

im guessing torts the clown didnt like him.

hes korpikoski 2.0 without a season to show his stuff. he never got a real chance to either prove himself worthy or unworthy. he was just dispatched. too soon.
Weren't you the guy dumping on Korp a year ago in favor of the golden child, Enver Lisin?

You have a terrible time dealing with the fact that sometimes prospects just cant cut it....and an even nastier habit of criticizing guys that can cut it like Rozsival and Dubinsky.

They cant hold onto these prospects forever. Sanguinetti sealed his fate during his 7 game cameo last season where he looked like he didnt belong anywhere near an NHL rink...this was almost 4 years after he was drafted...the writing was on the wall.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 03:50 PM
  #14
LamoTheKid
Registered User
 
LamoTheKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 1,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggy21 View Post
Canes fan here.

I was wondering about what to expect out of Bobby now and in the future. Figured I'd ask you guys sinnce you know the most about him. I know his potential is not as high as it once was, but are we looking at a future Top 4 guy or a solid guy in the top 6 that can contribute on the power play. He's likely to start the year in the AHL. Thanks.


Mods - move this if need be.
Quite honestly, we have no idea what to expect out of the kid either.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 03:58 PM
  #15
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !
 
x BEUKEBOOM x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NY Rangerville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,333
vCash: 500
It seems to me that his play is effected by the way he perceves himself with the team.

All around he was in high reguard when he was drafted and for the longest time had all the fanfare of a celebrated 1st rounder. I kind of think it went to his head a bit and when he wasnt brought right up to the NHL level like he may have thought he would he sulked a little and his play suffered. Last year he seemed to be snapping out of it and then MDZ came in a showed all of us just how far Sags had to go to get where we all thought he would be. Now his numbers did improve in the AHL last year but he was at that time 3 years into being a Pro at a lesser Pro level after being sent back to Brampton when he was drafted, so it took him that long to get his head strait. I feel his future in the NHL depends on how Carolina treats him.

Maybe he's been humbled enough by now to not let his emotions dictate his on ice performance, but to be on the safe side I hope Carloina gives him some minutes on the big club.

Apparently Carolina is on the thin side deffensively, or so it's the opinion of the Carolina boards here on HF, so if he comes to camp with a chip on his shoulder from being traded and all the cards fall right for him hopefully this year he turns it around and has the confidence to show everyone what he can really do when the team is behind him.

I liked Bobby, he's a good kid and has some great tools. In my opinion the team maybe didnt develope him the right way coincidental to his needs, while on the flip side he just wasnt adult enough to shoulder the up's/down's of being a pro. I feel both parties were at fault, hopefully he turns it around.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 04:05 PM
  #16
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 7,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Weren't you the guy dumping on Korp a year ago in favor of the golden child, Enver Lisin?

You have a terrible time dealing with the fact that sometimes prospects just cant cut it....and an even nastier habit of criticizing guys that can cut it like Rozsival and Dubinsky.

They cant hold onto these prospects forever. Sanguinetti sealed his fate during his 7 game cameo last season where he looked like he didnt belong anywhere near an NHL rink...this was almost 4 years after he was drafted...the writing was on the wall.
you mean the guy who played occasional 4th line minutes for the yotes last year ? that guy ? yeah we really miss that 1st round/4th line centerman. dont we.

as for sangs, im of the opinion we didnt really get a chance to see him. in fact, i would venture a guess that most peeps here, including you, cant honestly say that they saw enough of him to say for sure he was deserving of being shipped outa town or not. atleast with korp, we all got to see him with our own eyes and make a decision on whether he had value or not. with bob, not so much.

i have no problem criticizing blowsitall because well.....he blows. and duby is "serviceable" -theres your word again.. . hes an ok 3rd liner right now. nothing more.

finally, holding prospects forever? huh..... we had sauer and potter just as long and bob had more game than either of them. i mean really, the guy won the hardest shot in the ahl allstar game and followed that up with breaking a record for the fastest skating time the following year.

admit it brb, sangs got the shaft via torts the clown. you know its true.


Last edited by offdacrossbar: 08-23-2010 at 04:11 PM.
offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 04:22 PM
  #17
KreiMeARiver
PHI has potential!
 
KreiMeARiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Somewhere in Time
Posts: 6,105
vCash: 500
He's gonna be as good an NHL'er as Alex Bourret or Hugh Jessiman, how's that?

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 04:22 PM
  #18
Revelation
Reanimated
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dirty South
Country: United States
Posts: 1,479
vCash: 500
ODC, I would take your arguments alot more seriously if you didn't inject irrational Torts hatred into every post. We get it. You don't like the guy.

Glen Sather is the one in charge of trading players away. Sure, Torts probably has a say in it, but ultimately it is not him who makes the decisions.

Sangs was simply buried on the depth chart by the likes of MDZ and McD. I think the organization did him a favor by trading him to a team he might actually be able to play in the NHL for, while trying to get some value back at the same time.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 04:44 PM
  #19
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 7,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
ODC, I would take your arguments alot more seriously if you didn't inject irrational Torts hatred into every post. We get it. You don't like the guy.

Glen Sather is the one in charge of trading players away. Sure, Torts probably has a say in it, but ultimately it is not him who makes the decisions.

Sangs was simply buried on the depth chart by the likes of MDZ and McD. I think the organization did him a favor by trading him to a team he might actually be able to play in the NHL for, while trying to get some value back at the same time.
i understand. your comment is reasonable. im not sure im all that concerned with doing bob a favor. i still favor having talented guys we draft play for us rather than someone else.

while i do not hide my disdain for torts, i dont think you can discount what i say just because i lay blame where i believe it is deserved. i happen to think that once torts decides you wont play for him, well.... you wont play for him.

it may be slats job to do the deals, but i believe its torts who tells slats what players he wants to keep, wants to get and ultimately, who to get rid of.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 04:46 PM
  #20
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
ODC, I would take your arguments alot more seriously if you didn't inject irrational Torts hatred into every post. We get it. You don't like the guy.

Glen Sather is the one in charge of trading players away. Sure, Torts probably has a say in it, but ultimately it is not him who makes the decisions.

Sangs was simply buried on the depth chart by the likes of MDZ and McD. I think the organization did him a favor by trading him to a team he might actually be able to play in the NHL for, while trying to get some value back at the same time.
how did McD pass Sanguinetti on the depth chart? Sanguinetti has actually played pro hockey in the AHL and McD hasnt...what if McD goes to the Wolfpack and doesnt do well, will he get a free pass because he was in school playing hockey


i think the rangers didnt like something about Sanguinetti, either his compete level or training, something that is not well known by the rangers fans.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 04:47 PM
  #21
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,583
vCash: 500
Maybe it's just a quirk of mind but I have a hard time liking defensemen who avoid the physical parts of their position. That's one reason I never cared for Poti. Sanguinetti seemed to be pretty much the same. Something like that shouldn't need to be developed so much. It should come with the job description. Sanguinetti was somewhere around a point a game for the first 20-30 games last season in the AHL and then he just flopped. His time with the Rangers didn't do anything to convince me he was ready. To be honest getting two picks including a 2nd for him wasn't too bad considering. Will he be an NHL defenseman? Probably--but at this point in time I don't see him becoming a major factor unless and until someone gets him to play his position better and start taking the body.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 04:55 PM
  #22
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 7,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Maybe it's just a quirk of mind but I have a hard time liking defensemen who avoid the physical parts of their position. That's one reason I never cared for Poti. Sanguinetti seemed to be pretty much the same. Something like that shouldn't need to be developed so much. It should come with the job description. Sanguinetti was somewhere around a point a game for the first 20-30 games last season in the AHL and then he just flopped. His time with the Rangers didn't do anything to convince me he was ready. To be honest getting two picks including a 2nd for him wasn't too bad considering. Will he be an NHL defenseman? Probably--but at this point in time I don't see him becoming a major factor unless and until someone gets him to play his position better and start taking the body.
then you arent a big fan of michael delzotto, right ?

as far as defense goes, mdz may have been one of the worst in the entire league last year. at times, his d play was a horror show.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 04:56 PM
  #23
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !
 
x BEUKEBOOM x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NY Rangerville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Maybe it's just a quirk of mind but I have a hard time liking defensemen who avoid the physical parts of their position. That's one reason I never cared for Poti. Sanguinetti seemed to be pretty much the same. Something like that shouldn't need to be developed so much. It should come with the job description. Sanguinetti was somewhere around a point a game for the first 20-30 games last season in the AHL and then he just flopped. His time with the Rangers didn't do anything to convince me he was ready. To be honest getting two picks including a 2nd for him wasn't too bad considering. Will he be an NHL defenseman? Probably--but at this point in time I don't see him becoming a major factor unless and until someone gets him to play his position better and start taking the body.
Very true, not that he should be a banger so to speak, but it does seem he was content with trying to stick check more often then not. I never understood defenders who treat the position like a back checking forward. As a Dman you gotta know when to use your stick and when to step up into a guy to impeed his line into the zone.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 05:02 PM
  #24
Blazephr
Registered User
 
Blazephr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vermont - NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
then you arent a big fan of michael delzotto, right ?

as far as defense goes, mdz may have been one of the worst in the entire league last year. at times, his d play was a horror show.
exaggerate much?


seeing MDZ playing in his first ever pre-season games with NYR...you could just see right away that he belonged. He didn't look out of place at all. With Sangs, he never looked quite comfortable. after 4 years, you'd think he'd start to show signs that he possibly belonged in the NHL. Even with the 7 game call-up...for the most part,he looked in over his head.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 05:03 PM
  #25
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 11,981
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
how did McD pass Sanguinetti on the depth chart? Sanguinetti has actually played pro hockey in the AHL and McD hasnt...what if McD goes to the Wolfpack and doesnt do well, will he get a free pass because he was in school playing hockey
You can have a depth chart that ranks players regardless of age and current level of experience... Sanguinetti is an offensive defenseman and MDZ passed him on the depth chart, and MDZ had no AHL experience as well... McDonaugh's game will likely translate better to the NHL... He can take care of business in his own end first and foremost and he's physically very developed and mature, in terrific shape... Sure we haven't seen him play an AHL or NHL game yet but you can just look at the type of defenseman he projects to be and see how he would pass Sanguinetti in terms of having a role and specific spot/void to fill on our roster... With MDZ already in the line-up there really isn't a role for Bobby on this roster... He's not going to be a first pairing guy, and you're not going to rely on an offensive defenseman with questionable defensive ability to try to round out your 3rd pairing...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.