Notices

Anaheim Ducks 2010-11 Prospect Updates

Closed Thread

Old
08-20-2010, 01:24 PM
Mooseduck

vCash: 500
For lack of a better thread:

In other player news announced Thursday, 19-year old defenceman Brodie Melnychuk has agreed to a Free Agent Training Camp tryout with the NHL's Anaheim Ducks.

- Link -

Old
08-21-2010, 01:07 AM
JeffShibley

I got the hockey news yearbook in the mail today. they ranked the ducks top 10 prospects here is there rankings:

1. Luca Sbisa
2. Cam Fowler
3. Kyle Palmieri
4. Peter Holland
5. Jake Gardiner
6. Emerson Etem
7. Nic Deschamps
8. Nick Bonino
9. Brandon McMillan
10. Igor Bobkov

Old
08-21-2010, 01:33 AM
Selanne138

Quote:
Originally Posted by runaroundace View Post
I got the hockey news yearbook in the mail today. they ranked the ducks top 10 prospects here is there rankings:

1. Luca Sbisa
2. Cam Fowler
3. Kyle Palmieri
4. Peter Holland
5. Jake Gardiner
6. Emerson Etem
7. Nic Deschamps
8. Nick Bonino
9. Brandon McMillan
10. Igor Bobkov
Top 6 has the same players as the list we made on HF, just in a different order. 7-10 is where we disagree though, hockey news has deschamps, bobkov, and mcmillan where we have clark, vatanen, and mitera.

Old
08-21-2010, 02:39 AM
Paul4587

I agree with the top 6, except Gardiner and Holland are round the wrong way. 7 should be Clark though, he's a better prospect than the guys listed from 7 to 10. Vatanen and Mitera should also be on the list.

Old
08-21-2010, 02:45 AM
James Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
I agree with the top 6, except Gardiner and Holland are round the wrong way. 7 should be Clark though, he's a better prospect than the guys listed from 7 to 10. Vatanen and Mitera should also be on the list.
True. Other than Sbisa, I would say that Mitera is one of our more NHL ready Dmen

Old
08-21-2010, 07:30 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
It looks like they don't count Beleskey?

My top 10 was
1. Sbisa
2. Fowler
3. Palmieri
4. Etem
5. Gardiner
6. Vatanen
7. Mitera
8. Clark
9. Holland
10. Bonino

So basically I move Holland down a lot. Flip Gardiner and Etem. Then disagree with the rest of their rankings.

Old
08-23-2010, 02:34 PM
Kalvinators
Go Ducks!

Russian journalist on twitter:

Quote:
Bobkov isn't playing with either Metallurg Mg and their junior team
I guess that means, he is waiting to go to London?

Old
08-23-2010, 02:40 PM
wesott11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post

That's good good to hear. Him playing in juniors should give us a good idea of what to expect.

Old
08-23-2010, 03:01 PM
Mooseduck

Article: California Hockey Owes to O'Ree, Gretzky, Roller Blades

Nice mention of Etem's role in the growth of California hockey.

Old
08-23-2010, 07:18 PM
Selanne138

2010/11 Penticton Rookie Tournament (Update: Merged Into Prospects)

Mod Update:

Ducks to Play in Rookie Tournament in September
Wednesday, 06.16.2010 / 2:21 PM / News

Quote:
The Ducks will participate in a five-team rookie tournament from Sept. 12-16 in Penticton, British Columbia. The Ducks will be joined in the eight-game round-robin tournament by the host Vancouver Canucks, San Jose Sharks, Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers. Anaheim prospects will play three games at the South Okanagan Events Centre, including Sept. 12 vs. San Jose (7:30 p.m. PDT), Sept. 13 vs. Calgary (4 p.m. PDT) and Sept. 15 vs. Vancouver (4 p.m. PDT).

Tournament packages, which include a ticket to each of the eight games, will be available for purchase, starting at $66 CDN plus applicable fees. Tournament ticket packages will go on sale June 26 at 10 a.m. PDT at valleyfirstTIX.com, by phone at (877) 763-2849 or in person at the South Okanagan Events Centre box office (853 Eckhardt Ave West, Penticton). Single game tournament tickets will be made available in mid-August. Game dates, times and opponents are subject to change.

Anaheimís 2010 Rookie Camp roster and schedule will be released at a later date. Below is a complete look at the 2010 rookie tournament schedule.

GAME TEAMS DATE TIME (PDT)
Game 1 Vancouver vs. Edmonton Sept. 12 4:00 p.m.
Game 2 San Jose vs. Anaheim Sept. 12 7:30 p.m.
Game 3 Anaheim vs. Calgary Sept. 13 4:00 p.m.
Game 4 San Jose vs. Vancouver Sept. 13 7:30 p.m.
Game 5 Calgary vs. Edmonton Sept. 14 7:30 p.m.
Game 6 Anaheim vs. Vancouver Sept. 15 4:00 p.m.
Game 7 Edmonton vs. San Jose Sept. 15 7:30 p.m.
Game 8 Calgary vs. Vancouver Sept. 16 12:00 p.m.
http://ducks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=531818

--------------------------
Mod Update 2:

Young Stars Tournament Games to be Streamed Live
Friday, 09.10.2010 / 11:03 PM / News

All three of the Ducks' games in the upcoming Young Stars Tournament, held this Sunday through Thursday in Penticton, British Columbia, will be streamed live on AnaheimDucks.com.

The eight-game round-robin tournament will feature Ducks prospects, along with those from the host Vancouver Canucks, San Jose Sharks, Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers. Anaheim prospects will play three games at the South Okanagan Events Centre:

Sunday, Sept. 12 vs. San Jose at 7:30 p.m. PDT
Monday, Sept. 13 vs. Calgary at 4 p.m. PDT
Wednesday, Sept. 15 vs. Vancouver at 4 p.m. PDT

- Read More -
--------------------------

Any thoughts as to who will be there? I hope we bring as many of our top guys as possible. Id really like to see Vatanen there, as he wasnt at the conditioning camp, but i doubt he will be. Also like to see Fowler and Etem.

Last edited by Mooseduck: 09-10-2010 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Info Update
Old
08-23-2010, 11:02 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Now that the seasons are well over, I would be curious to see how people view our prospects' seasons, and if they have improved or deproved their stocks in your eyes.

A couple quick examples:

Gardiner had a disappointing offensive season. But he actually improved his stock a touch in my eyes because he put in the work to improve his biggest weakness. His demonstrating that work ethic and his big improvement in defense (partially because he was raw and new to the position) goes a long way toward easing my worries about how raw he is. It's also interesting because my view of him has changed. He was supposed to have great offensive upside when drafted. But now he has had 2 unimpressive offensive years (although that's partially because he wasn't a featured offensive player) and has actually not really impressed offensively in other settings like training/prospect camp. Yet he has played quite well in a shut-down role, to the point that I now have more concerns about his offense than defense.

Holland is a guy I give a lot of flack, mostly because I never liked the pick. This past season he was hot and cold. Despite that, there has been no change in my view of him. His hot streak is encouraging. His cold start is partially due to injuries, but it is also warning that he hasn't significantly improved on his "inconsistency" issues.

Sbisa is a guy who has hugely improved his stock. He continued to show that he is a guy who's smart enough to play in the NHL, but who wasn't physically ready. He showed a lot in the Olympics, and now there's reports of him getting much stronger.

Bonino is a guy I've been a touch disappointed in. But really his entire team was a disappointment this year. As an older guy in college, you want him to improve his numbers to stay "on pace" with other prospects that age.

Shultz had an interesting season. Decent stats for a 1st year player. He actually beat Gardiner's 1st season by 1 point. And he beat Gardiner comparing this year to this year. Perhaps we've been looking for offense out of the wrong UW prospect? Can't say I've really seen any of him though, I'm just going off of stats.

Old
08-23-2010, 11:27 PM
iLau
Always Mighty

I might be in Penticton that weekend, I'll try to report!

Old
08-23-2010, 11:59 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Whatever happened to the pacific division prospect tournament?

Old
08-24-2010, 12:03 AM
Mooseduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19 View Post
Whatever happened to the pacific division prospect tournament?
It got outsourced to Canada

Old
08-24-2010, 11:11 AM
190Octane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseduck View Post
It got outsourced to Canada
Damn nafta

Old
08-24-2010, 11:18 AM
Professor John Frink

Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Now that the seasons are well over, I would be curious to see how people view our prospects' seasons, and if they have improved or deproved their stocks in your eyes.

A couple quick examples:

Gardiner had a disappointing offensive season. But he actually improved his stock a touch in my eyes because he put in the work to improve his biggest weakness. His demonstrating that work ethic and his big improvement in defense (partially because he was raw and new to the position) goes a long way toward easing my worries about how raw he is. It's also interesting because my view of him has changed. He was supposed to have great offensive upside when drafted. But now he has had 2 unimpressive offensive years (although that's partially because he wasn't a featured offensive player) and has actually not really impressed offensively in other settings like training/prospect camp. Yet he has played quite well in a shut-down role, to the point that I now have more concerns about his offense than defense.

Holland is a guy I give a lot of flack, mostly because I never liked the pick. This past season he was hot and cold. Despite that, there has been no change in my view of him. His hot streak is encouraging. His cold start is partially due to injuries, but it is also warning that he hasn't significantly improved on his "inconsistency" issues.

Sbisa is a guy who has hugely improved his stock. He continued to show that he is a guy who's smart enough to play in the NHL, but who wasn't physically ready. He showed a lot in the Olympics, and now there's reports of him getting much stronger.

Bonino is a guy I've been a touch disappointed in. But really his entire team was a disappointment this year. As an older guy in college, you want him to improve his numbers to stay "on pace" with other prospects that age.

Shultz had an interesting season. Decent stats for a 1st year player. He actually beat Gardiner's 1st season by 1 point. And he beat Gardiner comparing this year to this year. Perhaps we've been looking for offense out of the wrong UW prospect? Can't say I've really seen any of him though, I'm just going off of stats.
I think the tough part becomes what you mentioned at the end of the Shultz paragraph. It's really hard to judge IMO if you don't see the guy play game in and game out.

For me it is tough to comment on anything solely based on stats. I usually try to save comments for when I can see the players at training/prospect camp.

That being said I don't disagree with anything you said.

Old
08-24-2010, 12:02 PM
iLau
Always Mighty

The real winner of having this tournament in BC is me.

Old
08-24-2010, 09:03 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor John Frink View Post
I think the tough part becomes what you mentioned at the end of the Shultz paragraph. It's really hard to judge IMO if you don't see the guy play game in and game out.

For me it is tough to comment on anything solely based on stats. I usually try to save comments for when I can see the players at training/prospect camp.

That being said I don't disagree with anything you said.
True. But that's partly why I asked the question. I was interested in the opinions of people who have seen a little bit more of these guys. I just threw some guys in there to get the ball rolling.

Also, people have access to secondhand reports as well. So that adds more than just stats.

But mostly I was just interested in how different people interpret the sane thing (this season) differently.

Old
08-25-2010, 12:20 AM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

I've seen both Schultz and Gardiner ~10-15 times this season and Schultz was in a much more offensive role than Gardiner this season. I believe he played on the top PP at times with Brendan Smith. Schultz is nowhere near being defensively equivalent to Gardiner. I wouldn't be surprised to see Schultz have some reins put on him this season to learn the defensive aspect of the game some more similar to Gardiner in his second year. It may be a coaching philosophy of Mike Eaves?

If anyone gets the Big 10 network then you can usually catch about the same number of games I did.

Old
08-25-2010, 09:49 AM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

Is it time for a 2010-11 prospect thread?

Old
08-25-2010, 10:54 AM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
Is it time for a 2010-11 prospect thread?
Change the thread title imo :p

Old
08-25-2010, 11:13 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karacter View Post
I've seen both Schultz and Gardiner ~10-15 times this season and Schultz was in a much more offensive role than Gardiner this season. I believe he played on the top PP at times with Brendan Smith. Schultz is nowhere near being defensively equivalent to Gardiner. I wouldn't be surprised to see Schultz have some reins put on him this season to learn the defensive aspect of the game some more similar to Gardiner in his second year. It may be a coaching philosophy of Mike Eaves?

If anyone gets the Big 10 network then you can usually catch about the same number of games I did.
So you still feel Shultz has a long way to go. But if I may ask, do you feel better or worse about him than before this season?

The reason I ask is I have my own personal baseline view of our prospects that I'm not going to change much, but would be interested in determining a consensus change for the year.

Old
08-25-2010, 06:28 PM
Mooseduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post

Knights Update Mentions Bobkov

Old
08-26-2010, 03:03 AM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
So you still feel Shultz has a long way to go. But if I may ask, do you feel better or worse about him than before this season?

The reason I ask is I have my own personal baseline view of our prospects that I'm not going to change much, but would be interested in determining a consensus change for the year.
Yes I feel he has a long way to go, but 99% of defensive prospects his age do too so it is not like it is out of the norm. Although, I do feel much better about him than before the season because I didn't know he was this offensively gifted. He sees the ice very well for a young kid and look out for both Gardiner and Schultz manning the top PP unit next year possibly. Like I said though, he may be reined in by Eaves but, that is purely my speculation with the way he handled Gardiner so I really won't know until the season starts or at least camp starts.

I'm interested to hear your opinion of Schultz though.

Old
08-27-2010, 11:27 AM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
Change the thread title imo :p
Forgot I could do that lol but isn't 21 pages enough?

Closed Thread