HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which signing has you most excited?

Old
08-23-2010, 10:06 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

vCash: 500
I can't get too excited about Frolov because he's probably gonna be gone after this season.

I'm most excited to see what MZA can do, and if his game actually transitions well to the NHL.

League wide? I think one of the best acquisitions was Gagne. If he stays healthy, we could see a Vinny Lecavalier renaissance season.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 10:28 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
You guys are kidding yourselves if you think MZA will be good in his first year, if ever. Remember Pikkarainen? Ambuhl? Jamtin? Heikkinen? Denisov? Gilroy? Pock? I wouldn't be surprised if he never makes the NHL.

The moves we made will prevent us from finishing 30th, and there is still a good likelihood of that. we now have 4 bottom-six centers, one top-six wing who plays 1 out of 10 games, an all-in-all bad defense (again), a $2M goon, a serviceable back-up, and a 40-goal scorer and top-3 NHL goalie. And why does anyone think the younger players will be any better? What lead do they have to follow? Drury's legacy of intangibility? I for one don't think we made any meaningful moves... we just have to wait 2 more seasons till we can unload our bums.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 10:45 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
You guys are kidding yourselves if you think MZA will be good in his first year, if ever. Remember Pikkarainen? Ambuhl? Jamtin? Heikkinen? Denisov? Gilroy? Pock? I wouldn't be surprised if he never makes the NHL.
I don't THINK he'll be good, but I'm excited to see. I love watching players try to make it in a new league and observing how they cope with the challenges. I just wish I didn't have to do it so much with the Rangers, and with such a low rate of success.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 10:55 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:

The moves we made will prevent us from finishing 30th, and there is still a good likelihood of that. we now have 4 bottom-six centers, one top-six wing who plays 1 out of 10 games, an all-in-all bad defense (again), a $2M goon, a serviceable back-up, and a 40-goal scorer and top-3 NHL goalie. And why does anyone think the younger players will be any better? What lead do they have to follow? Drury's legacy of intangibility? I for one don't think we made any meaningful moves... we just have to wait 2 more seasons till we can unload our bums.
Aasen doesn't compare to any of those guys skill-wise and impact wise. He's made an impact in the league he was in.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 11:00 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Aasen doesn't compare to any of those guys skill-wise and impact wise. He's made an impact in the league he was in.
So did Gilroy and Ambuhl. Even Jamtin to an extent. I'm not arguing with you, I think MZA is more talented than that list of players, but these players did have an impact on their respective teams in their respective leagues. Pock wasn't too bad of an offensive d-man either. Just had nothing else.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 11:27 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
So did Gilroy and Ambuhl. Even Jamtin to an extent. I'm not arguing with you, I think MZA is more talented than that list of players, but these players did have an impact on their respective teams in their respective leagues. Pock wasn't too bad of an offensive d-man either. Just had nothing else.
I think Aasen was playing @ a higher level than all those other names(especially Gilroy & Pock) with the likes of Forsberg and Naslund in the same league. Gilroy's impact was at the collegiate level and that doesn't say much. Yes he did win the hobey baker, however many hobey baker winners never make it to the NHL. In fact , I think most don't.

Aasen also got props from two very established one time nhl super-stars in Forsberg and Naslund. Personally, I don't think that's something to shrug off.

Old
08-24-2010, 12:05 AM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
He's made an impact in the league he was in.
You should check out the list of players that have made an impact in that league. It's a who's who of who the heck.

I sure hope he can have a career in the NHL. But seeing what he brings, it's so hard to imagine. But I hope I'm wrong.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 12:18 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
You should check out the list of players that have made an impact in that league. It's a who's who of who the heck.

I sure hope he can have a career in the NHL. But seeing what he brings, it's so hard to imagine. But I hope I'm wrong.
That list of players...did they make an impact similar to what Aasen did? Do they have the skill-set an Aasen has? Were they praised by two hockey greats in Forsberg and Naslund? Like I said. Making an impact is just the initial step to get recognition, receiving praise from all-star /hall of fame individuals is another thing. We can all sit here and say big deal, but the two players who praised Aasen are a big deal. They know this game inside/out

Put that aside and look at Aasen without any commentary and speculation surrounding his play and what he's done. I personally see a very talented individual who is magical w/ the puck. Someone who is relentless and that aspect may be what makes or breaks his game at the nhl level b/c of his limited size.

Aasen racked up 104 pts in 90 games playing in the swedish league. Abuhl comes no where near that. Gilroy at his collegiate level played less talented idividuals. Pock's defensive game was putrid. None of the other names mentioned a few posts above have ever established themselves to the extent Aasen has done in not only in the swedish league but also in the olympics. I'm not buying any of those comparisons to Pikirainnen, Gilroy, Abuhl, Pock, etc. I find them way off base.

Old
08-24-2010, 02:10 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
That list of players...did they make an impact similar to what Aasen did? Do they have the skill-set an Aasen has? Were they praised by two hockey greats in Forsberg and Naslund? Like I said. Making an impact is just the initial step to get recognition, receiving praise from all-star /hall of fame individuals is another thing. We can all sit here and say big deal, but the two players who praised Aasen are a big deal. They know this game inside/out

Put that aside and look at Aasen without any commentary and speculation surrounding his play and what he's done. I personally see a very talented individual who is magical w/ the puck. Someone who is relentless and that aspect may be what makes or breaks his game at the nhl level b/c of his limited size.

Aasen racked up 104 pts in 90 games playing in the swedish league. Abuhl comes no where near that. Gilroy at his collegiate level played less talented idividuals. Pock's defensive game was putrid. None of the other names mentioned a few posts above have ever established themselves to the extent Aasen has done in not only in the swedish league but also in the olympics. I'm not buying any of those comparisons to Pikirainnen, Gilroy, Abuhl, Pock, etc. I find them way off base.
Your assessment is accurate. I think the biggest issue for MZA's initial impact will be confidence. Confidence has a big role in the effectiveness of his "relentless" play. If he's confident, the relentlessness comes naturally without even thinking. If he's feeling bad about his game and down on himself (which I've heard from those who know him better than I do, is the opposite of MZA's mental character in general, which is great to hear) then the relentlessness can turn into recklessness, turnovers, and getting caught out of position. Honestly, my only question is HOW SOON he's going to start having a major impact. It's not a question of if; merely WHEN. "Magical" is the right word to describe him. He's similar to Gaborik in his around-the-net play and deceptiveness but he's also I think got softer hands with the puck and while Gaborik is a shoot-first kind of player, MZA is more balanced in terms of shooting and passing. Since size comparisons are always made, MZA is without a doubt more St. Louis than Gionta. He's very shifty and an incredibly quick-thinker. If he's confident, then I see him making the adjustment to the bigger, faster NHL almost seamlessly. He IS that good. I have a feeling by December, there won't even be an argument on here that he's our second most skilled forward (yes, ahead of Frolov, who i LOVE). Call me an optimist, but MZA is the real deal, trust me.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 02:35 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I think MZA takes a year or two to fully develop and adapt to an entire season (not just the Olympics) of NHL type of play, and then becomes a perennial 25-30 goal scorer. If he doesn't, he goes back to the SEL. I'd be more than happy if this came true (the 25-30 goal part ). I'd say he even has the potential to easily pot over 30, but that could just be hope.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 03:41 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
Your assessment is accurate. I think the biggest issue for MZA's initial impact will be confidence. Confidence has a big role in the effectiveness of his "relentless" play. If he's confident, the relentlessness comes naturally without even thinking. If he's feeling bad about his game and down on himself (which I've heard from those who know him better than I do, is the opposite of MZA's mental character in general, which is great to hear) then the relentlessness can turn into recklessness, turnovers, and getting caught out of position. Honestly, my only question is HOW SOON he's going to start having a major impact. It's not a question of if; merely WHEN. "Magical" is the right word to describe him. He's similar to Gaborik in his around-the-net play and deceptiveness but he's also I think got softer hands with the puck and while Gaborik is a shoot-first kind of player, MZA is more balanced in terms of shooting and passing. Since size comparisons are always made, MZA is without a doubt more St. Louis than Gionta. He's very shifty and an incredibly quick-thinker. If he's confident, then I see him making the adjustment to the bigger, faster NHL almost seamlessly. He IS that good. I have a feeling by December, there won't even be an argument on here that he's our second most skilled forward (yes, ahead of Frolov, who i LOVE). Call me an optimist, but MZA is the real deal, trust me.
We see eye to eye on this matter. I too think he's going to be a player. He's our Girardi...St Louis etc in forward position. Going undrafted yet being a stellar pickup.

Old
08-24-2010, 04:40 AM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Zuccarello, Frolov & McDonagh.

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 04:58 AM
XLJ

McDonagh

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 09:16 AM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Rangers-McDonagh, MZA, and Stepan.
In 2-3 years all should be solid contributors on the NHL level.

NHL-Turco
Good, dirt cheap, and with something to prove, on a team that is still loaded and nasty.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 09:56 AM
94now

Would be Frolov should I never know what they did to Z. Thus, none for NYR, no excitement yet.
Kovalchuk should be for NHL, but, again, no excitement yet for the obvious reasons.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 10:16 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Considering we all know he's GM for life, that's just a nice way of saying you wish he died.
I don't think there'd be any tears shed here if he did.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 11:01 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Biron actually.

I think if he pans out and regains his form while spelling Lundqvist for 20+ games it will do wonders for this teams chances.

Honorable mention: Stepan

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 11:52 AM
OldStanley

Girardi, at least until Staal signs. I'm a fan of building from within.

OldStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 12:14 PM
Levitate

Pretty interested to see how Frolov does. He could have a very good season and make the Rangers much more watchable and interesting this year. Beyond that...hard to say if they'll manage to keep him, though it doesn't particularly look good at the moment.

Long term, MZA and McDonagh. MZA would be very important if he can become a top six player.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 12:17 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I don't THINK he'll be good, but I'm excited to see. I love watching players try to make it in a new league and observing how they cope with the challenges. I just wish I didn't have to do it so much with the Rangers, and with such a low rate of success.
fair enough, and exactly - i'm basing this off the past... we always sign hotly pursued FAs and it hasn't come to fruition ever (outside Girardi). maybe we're thinking he (MZA) will be our St. Louis. chances there are .1/19178978101.99. we always get these guys and they never make the nhl, so why will MZA be different? give him a chance, sure, and if he wins the calder, remember me as a naysayer...

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 12:26 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Most excited about Biron, and Frolov. If we have them last year, we make playoffs.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 12:47 PM
TreeSapLlama

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan1823 View Post
Most excited about Biron, and Frolov. If we have them last year, we make playoffs.
Agreed 100%. Frolov @ 3mil >>>>>>>> Kotalik @ 3mil and Biron@pennies >>>>>>> vally/ocho/auld@pennies.

While I must admit that more then anything I am excited just for hockey to be starting, I think MZA is #1 on my "players to watch" list. He will be top 5 in rookie scoring, 100% certainy.

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 12:54 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Biron was, by far, the best signing of the offseason.

Honorable mention to the Frolov signing, although he comes with a lot of baggage. MZA is TBD.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 12:55 PM
Levitate

Quote:
fair enough, and exactly - i'm basing this off the past... we always sign hotly pursued FAs and it hasn't come to fruition ever (outside Girardi). maybe we're thinking he (MZA) will be our St. Louis. chances there are .1/19178978101.99. we always get these guys and they never make the nhl, so why will MZA be different? give him a chance, sure, and if he wins the calder, remember me as a naysayer...
MZA isn't going to be "our" St. Louis, and he won't win the Calder. But that doesn't mean he can't end up being a good player for the Rangers.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 12:56 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianJagr View Post
Agreed 100%. Frolov @ 3mil >>>>>>>> Kotalik @ 3mil and Biron@pennies >>>>>>> vally/ocho/auld@pennies.

While I must admit that more then anything I am excited just for hockey to be starting, I think MZA is #1 on my "players to watch" list. He will be top 5 in rookie scoring, 100% certainy.
This summer seems extra long considering the Rangers miss out on the PO's.

I havent even given MZA much thought simply because I want to force myself to have low expectations going into camp with him. Same with Frolov in regards to the season. What happens happens with these two. It'll be interesting to see. MZA is a huge question mark and the range of his success or failure in this league is extremely wide IMO.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote