HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flames have interest in Dubinsky and Carter

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-24-2010, 05:38 AM
  #1
AUSTRIANbolt
Registered User
 
AUSTRIANbolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Waterworld
Country: Austria
Posts: 249
vCash: 500
Flames have interest in Dubinsky and Carter

Quote:
On the Flames...

There have been several trade rumors surrounding the Flames over the last few days with sources from Canada to Russia saying a deal could be coming any moment. Tonight, I finally got the key names the Flames have interest in...Brandon Dubinsky and Jeff Carter. The Flames having huge interest in both players and are believed to be offering some rather intriguing/creative trade packages..
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...s-Want/1/29866

Let me guess: Olli Jokinen back to the Rangers

AUSTRIANbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 05:48 AM
  #2
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Krasnoyarsk
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 19,957
vCash: 500
The Flames also probably don't have the assets to get either.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 05:53 AM
  #3
beastly115
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,424
vCash: 500
LOL what do the Flames even have that the Rangers would take for Dubinsky? Nothing that I can think of.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 06:03 AM
  #4
N O T O R I O U S
╱█████★█████╲
 
N O T O R I O U S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ╲Eminemton
Posts: 13,663
vCash: 227
Carter for who exactly

N O T O R I O U S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 06:10 AM
  #5
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Krasnoyarsk
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 19,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by karzanPalani View Post
Carter for who exactly
Kiprusoff!

That's probably the only realistic guy Philly would want from the Flames, but they aren't going to trade Carter for him.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 06:30 AM
  #6
duckyman
Registered User
 
duckyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 342
vCash: 500
I'm pretty confident a Flames trade is coming in the next few days.

duckyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 06:34 AM
  #7
dookie88
Registered User
 
dookie88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckyman View Post
I'm pretty confident a Flames trade is coming in the next few days.
Considering they are over the cap, that's not a very bold statement to make.

Kipper would make some sense for the Flyers, but I can't see Carter making a whole lot for the Flames, if they keep Iginla.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 07:18 AM
  #8
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,691
vCash: 500
Only player that fill a need for the Rangers is Backlund. Regher and Bouwmeester would too, but the Rangers are pretty set on LD in the top 4 with Staal and MDZ.

So yeah, don't see anything going down with the Rangers.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 07:26 AM
  #9
TheSilencer
Registered User
 
TheSilencer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,814
vCash: 500
I don't think Flames have the assets to acquire Carter. They need a Carter more than a Dubinsky in my opinion. Flames need scoring. Kipursoff for Carter may be, but i don't see Philly doing it. They're never that interested in acquiring goalies.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 08:22 AM
  #10
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!
 
Skobel24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,212
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
Considering they are over the cap, that's not a very bold statement to make.

Kipper would make some sense for the Flyers, but I can't see Carter making a whole lot for the Flames, if they keep Iginla.
With Kotalik waived, they're under the cap.

Skobel24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 09:15 AM
  #11
tempest2i
Myxomatosis
 
tempest2i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cowtown
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel55 View Post
With Kotalik waived, they're under the cap.
Hasn't the word out of the team all summer been "Kotalik will come to camp and is part of this team"?

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 09:21 AM
  #12
Dogbert*
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Hamilton, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,052
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
Considering they are over the cap, that's not a very bold statement to make.
... Which is probably why Eklund's been saying it every six hours for the last two months.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 09:24 AM
  #13
Ovechking
Registered User
 
Ovechking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,116
vCash: 1355
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
Hasn't the word out of the team all summer been "Kotalik will come to camp and is part of this team"?
Yep. Pretty sure the Calgary Flames will be more interested in getting someone old back instead of getting someone new to add to the team.

Ovechking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 09:24 AM
  #14
Phaedrus
Registered User
 
Phaedrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,674
vCash: 500
Of course the Flames have interest in Carter and Dubinsky... I am sure every GM in the league would be interested (or is interested) in Carter and Dubinsky (especially Carter).

Heck, I would be fine with seeing Tambellini give up a fair bit for Carter; and Dubinsky, 'we' have Cogliano and Gagner sitting without contract extensions.

Penner Carter Hemsky - wow, the Oil would actually have a true first line.

Heck,

Penner Horcoff Hemsky
Hall Dubinsky Paajarvi

looks mighty good as well.

Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 10:14 AM
  #15
Ozy_Flame
Registered User
 
Ozy_Flame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,087
vCash: 500
Great teams start with a great goalie. And you branch out from there. Darryl Sutter has said this numerous times in the past.

Kipper is not available. Good goalies are hard to find.

Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 10:32 AM
  #16
Sabretip
Registered User
 
Sabretip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,927
vCash: 500
The only 3 certainties in life:

1. Death
2. Taxes
3. Eklund rumors saying "The ___ have interest in ___".

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 10:35 AM
  #17
Sabretip
Registered User
 
Sabretip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel55 View Post
With Kotalik waived, they're under the cap.
How so? Waiving him only means he was available to the other 29 teams. Without someone claiming him, his salary still remains on the Flames' books IIRC unless they either buy him out, "loan" him to the KHL/Europe or miraculously are able to trade him.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 10:43 AM
  #18
TOML
Registered User
 
TOML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Walnut Grove
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,712
vCash: 500
Those players are among the last either team should trade.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 10:58 AM
  #19
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward
 
Do Make Say Think's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 17,104
vCash: 256
The real question here is: who isn't interested in Dubinsky or Carter? Both are excellent players.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 11:06 AM
  #20
TheJudge
Registered User
 
TheJudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
How so? Waiving him only means he was available to the other 29 teams. Without someone claiming him, his salary still remains on the Flames' books IIRC unless they either buy him out, "loan" him to the KHL/Europe or miraculously are able to trade him.
A player who has cleared waivers has been sent down to the minors. Calgary will need to pay Kotalik his salary regardless, but in the AHL he does not count towards the NHL cap.

TheJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 11:48 AM
  #21
Killem Dafoe
Moderator
modus operandi
 
Killem Dafoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Land of Bad Drivers
Country: United States
Posts: 15,336
vCash: 50
Iginla would be the only one the Rangers would want for Dubi. and that won't happen. so i don't see them getting Dubi. allthough it wouldn't suprise me if Sather traded him for Jokinen. lol

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 11:55 AM
  #22
IrMitchell*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,049
vCash: 500
Grabovski, Beauchemin, Hanson for Iginla

Trading our extras has worked before right?

IrMitchell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 11:59 AM
  #23
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJudge View Post
A player who has cleared waivers has been sent down to the minors. Calgary will need to pay Kotalik his salary regardless, but in the AHL he does not count towards the NHL cap.
The bolded is not true. Waiving a player and sending the player down are 2 different things. A player can be waived, clear waivers, and never be sent down.

If a player clears waivers, the team has 30 days or 10 NHL games to send the player down. If they don't send the player down within that time, the player must clear waivers again in order to be sent down.

Once a player is sent down (who is subject to waivers), he must pass through re-entry waivers in order to be brought back up.

Players can't be sent down until training camp ends. Until then, Kotalik will count against calgary's summer cap, which is 10% higher than the in-season cap, though that shouldn't be an issue unless they are looking to acquire other players.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 01:50 PM
  #24
nlowry
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
hey guys, newbie here but i've been reading this forum for a few weeks now and after seeing some of the comments in this thread i had to join.

Here's my take on the Calgary/NYR/PHI rumors.

The Rangers are in desperate need of top tier reliable defensemen. With the rumors of Redden's pending buyout (theoretically to make room for Stall) and the Rangers already flirting with salary cap i don't think they are left with too many options. Del Zotto played really well last year, but if Rangers fans are counting on him and Stall to carry this team...i hope they both can play 45mins a game because apart from those 2 guys the Rangers are VERY weak at D. The one thing Calgary has to offer is depth at defense, and plenty of the "stay at home" gritty d-men than the Rangers have none of. Luckily for Flames fans Glen Sather is famous for spending excessive amounts of money on old hockey players who are 3 years past their prime. Can anyone say Cory Sarich?

As far as Jeff Carter goes, yeah we all know his name has been thrown around in trade rumors for months now. But it's just a matter of time until Philly pulls the trigger. Like it or not, Jeff Carter will NOT be wearing a Flyers jersey to start the 2011 season. He's an RFA next year and with the Flyers dropping huge $$$ on long term deals with Briere, Richards, Timonen, Pronger, Hartnell, Meszaros, Carle and Coburn...Philly simply won't have the cap space to keep Carter next year and have enough money to resign Giroux, Carcillo and Leino. So, Philly fans...it's time to decide, trade Carter now or lose him for nothing.

That being said, I don't think Calgary has anything that Philly would want/need. So Jeff Carter will not be wearing the flaming C anytime soon.

nlowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 01:58 PM
  #25
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlowry View Post
hey guys, newbie here but i've been reading this forum for a few weeks now and after seeing some of the comments in this thread i had to join.

Here's my take on the Calgary/NYR/PHI rumors.

The Rangers are in desperate need of top tier reliable defensemen. With the rumors of Redden's pending buyout (theoretically to make room for Stall) and the Rangers already flirting with salary cap i don't think they are left with too many options. Del Zotto played really well last year, but if Rangers fans are counting on him and Stall to carry this team...i hope they both can play 45mins a game because apart from those 2 guys the Rangers are VERY weak at D. The one thing Calgary has to offer is depth at defense, and plenty of the "stay at home" gritty d-men than the Rangers have none of. Luckily for Flames fans Glen Sather is famous for spending excessive amounts of money on old hockey players who are 3 years past their prime. Can anyone say Cory Sarich?

As far as Jeff Carter goes, yeah we all know his name has been thrown around in trade rumors for months now. But it's just a matter of time until Philly pulls the trigger. Like it or not, Jeff Carter will NOT be wearing a Flyers jersey to start the 2011 season. He's an RFA next year and with the Flyers dropping huge $$$ on long term deals with Briere, Richards, Timonen, Pronger, Hartnell, Meszaros, Carle and Coburn...Philly simply won't have the cap space to keep Carter next year and have enough money to resign Giroux, Carcillo and Leino. So, Philly fans...it's time to decide, trade Carter now or lose him for nothing.

That being said, I don't think Calgary has anything that Philly would want/need. So Jeff Carter will not be wearing the flaming C anytime soon.
First, welcome to the boards! Next:

- There are no rumors of buying out Redden, if anything he will be waived at the end of training camp and sent to Hartford.
- Rangers have a pretty good top 4 defense in Staal, Roszival, MDZ, and Girardi. McDonagh is expected to fight for a spot. If anything they could use a depth vet d-man for the last pairing. I'm not sold on Gilroy unless he's made huge strides in the offseason.
- The Rangers have room to re-sign Staal to a contract upwards of $5 million per year, if need be, with the summer cap. Then once Redden is waived they will be under the cap. Not to mention White will more then likely be waived as well unless he has a stellar training camp. That free's up $8.875 million in cap space.
- The one thing Sather has not done since the lockout is trade youth for over-priced aging Vets. He's actually turned down several deals where players like Callahan, Dubinsky, etc have been asked in return. He has been amazing in trades. They just need a co-general manager to handle the free agent signings, then the Rangers would be set.
- Rangers have Staal as a stay-at-home, shut down D-man. He is one of the top young blueliners in the NHL right now.
- And it's Staal, not Stall.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.