HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flames have interest in Dubinsky and Carter

Old
08-24-2010, 05:38 AM
AUSTRIANbolt

vCash: 500
Flames have interest in Dubinsky and Carter

Quote:
On the Flames...

There have been several trade rumors surrounding the Flames over the last few days with sources from Canada to Russia saying a deal could be coming any moment. Tonight, I finally got the key names the Flames have interest in...Brandon Dubinsky and Jeff Carter. The Flames having huge interest in both players and are believed to be offering some rather intriguing/creative trade packages..
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...s-Want/1/29866

Let me guess: Olli Jokinen back to the Rangers

AUSTRIANbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 05:48 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

The Flames also probably don't have the assets to get either.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 05:53 AM
beastly115

LOL what do the Flames even have that the Rangers would take for Dubinsky? Nothing that I can think of.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 06:03 AM
N O T O R I O U S
╱█████★█████╲

vCash: 227
Carter for who exactly

N O T O R I O U S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 06:10 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by karzanPalani View Post
Carter for who exactly
Kiprusoff!

That's probably the only realistic guy Philly would want from the Flames, but they aren't going to trade Carter for him.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 06:30 AM
duckyman

I'm pretty confident a Flames trade is coming in the next few days.

duckyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 06:34 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckyman View Post
I'm pretty confident a Flames trade is coming in the next few days.
Considering they are over the cap, that's not a very bold statement to make.

Kipper would make some sense for the Flyers, but I can't see Carter making a whole lot for the Flames, if they keep Iginla.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 07:18 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Only player that fill a need for the Rangers is Backlund. Regher and Bouwmeester would too, but the Rangers are pretty set on LD in the top 4 with Staal and MDZ.

So yeah, don't see anything going down with the Rangers.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 07:26 AM
TheSilencer

I don't think Flames have the assets to acquire Carter. They need a Carter more than a Dubinsky in my opinion. Flames need scoring. Kipursoff for Carter may be, but i don't see Philly doing it. They're never that interested in acquiring goalies.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 08:22 AM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post

Kipper would make some sense for the Flyers, but I can't see Carter making a whole lot for the Flames, if they keep Iginla.
With Kotalik waived, they're under the cap.

Skobel24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 09:15 AM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel55 View Post
Hasn't the word out of the team all summer been "Kotalik will come to camp and is part of this team"?

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 09:21 AM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
... Which is probably why Eklund's been saying it every six hours for the last two months.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 09:24 AM
Ovechking

vCash: 1355
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
Hasn't the word out of the team all summer been "Kotalik will come to camp and is part of this team"?
Yep. Pretty sure the Calgary Flames will be more interested in getting someone old back instead of getting someone new to add to the team.

Ovechking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 09:24 AM
Phaedrus

Of course the Flames have interest in Carter and Dubinsky... I am sure every GM in the league would be interested (or is interested) in Carter and Dubinsky (especially Carter).

Heck, I would be fine with seeing Tambellini give up a fair bit for Carter; and Dubinsky, 'we' have Cogliano and Gagner sitting without contract extensions.

Penner Carter Hemsky - wow, the Oil would actually have a true first line.

Heck,

Penner Horcoff Hemsky
Hall Dubinsky Paajarvi

looks mighty good as well.

Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 10:14 AM
Ozy_Flame

Great teams start with a great goalie. And you branch out from there. Darryl Sutter has said this numerous times in the past.

Kipper is not available. Good goalies are hard to find.

Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 10:32 AM
Sabretip

The only 3 certainties in life:

1. Death
2. Taxes
3. Eklund rumors saying "The ___ have interest in ___".

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 10:35 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel55 View Post
How so? Waiving him only means he was available to the other 29 teams. Without someone claiming him, his salary still remains on the Flames' books IIRC unless they either buy him out, "loan" him to the KHL/Europe or miraculously are able to trade him.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 10:43 AM
TOML

Those players are among the last either team should trade.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 10:58 AM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
The real question here is: who isn't interested in Dubinsky or Carter? Both are excellent players.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 11:06 AM
TheJudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
How so? Waiving him only means he was available to the other 29 teams. Without someone claiming him, his salary still remains on the Flames' books IIRC unless they either buy him out, "loan" him to the KHL/Europe or miraculously are able to trade him.
A player who has cleared waivers has been sent down to the minors. Calgary will need to pay Kotalik his salary regardless, but in the AHL he does not count towards the NHL cap.

TheJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 11:48 AM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
Iginla would be the only one the Rangers would want for Dubi. and that won't happen. so i don't see them getting Dubi. allthough it wouldn't suprise me if Sather traded him for Jokinen. lol

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 11:55 AM
IrMitchell*

Grabovski, Beauchemin, Hanson for Iginla

Trading our extras has worked before right?

IrMitchell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 11:59 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJudge View Post
A player who has cleared waivers has been sent down to the minors. Calgary will need to pay Kotalik his salary regardless, but in the AHL he does not count towards the NHL cap.
The bolded is not true. Waiving a player and sending the player down are 2 different things. A player can be waived, clear waivers, and never be sent down.

If a player clears waivers, the team has 30 days or 10 NHL games to send the player down. If they don't send the player down within that time, the player must clear waivers again in order to be sent down.

Once a player is sent down (who is subject to waivers), he must pass through re-entry waivers in order to be brought back up.

Players can't be sent down until training camp ends. Until then, Kotalik will count against calgary's summer cap, which is 10% higher than the in-season cap, though that shouldn't be an issue unless they are looking to acquire other players.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 01:50 PM
nlowry

hey guys, newbie here but i've been reading this forum for a few weeks now and after seeing some of the comments in this thread i had to join.

Here's my take on the Calgary/NYR/PHI rumors.

The Rangers are in desperate need of top tier reliable defensemen. With the rumors of Redden's pending buyout (theoretically to make room for Stall) and the Rangers already flirting with salary cap i don't think they are left with too many options. Del Zotto played really well last year, but if Rangers fans are counting on him and Stall to carry this team...i hope they both can play 45mins a game because apart from those 2 guys the Rangers are VERY weak at D. The one thing Calgary has to offer is depth at defense, and plenty of the "stay at home" gritty d-men than the Rangers have none of. Luckily for Flames fans Glen Sather is famous for spending excessive amounts of money on old hockey players who are 3 years past their prime. Can anyone say Cory Sarich?

As far as Jeff Carter goes, yeah we all know his name has been thrown around in trade rumors for months now. But it's just a matter of time until Philly pulls the trigger. Like it or not, Jeff Carter will NOT be wearing a Flyers jersey to start the 2011 season. He's an RFA next year and with the Flyers dropping huge $$$ on long term deals with Briere, Richards, Timonen, Pronger, Hartnell, Meszaros, Carle and Coburn...Philly simply won't have the cap space to keep Carter next year and have enough money to resign Giroux, Carcillo and Leino. So, Philly fans...it's time to decide, trade Carter now or lose him for nothing.

That being said, I don't think Calgary has anything that Philly would want/need. So Jeff Carter will not be wearing the flaming C anytime soon.

nlowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 01:58 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlowry View Post
hey guys, newbie here but i've been reading this forum for a few weeks now and after seeing some of the comments in this thread i had to join.

Here's my take on the Calgary/NYR/PHI rumors.

The Rangers are in desperate need of top tier reliable defensemen. With the rumors of Redden's pending buyout (theoretically to make room for Stall) and the Rangers already flirting with salary cap i don't think they are left with too many options. Del Zotto played really well last year, but if Rangers fans are counting on him and Stall to carry this team...i hope they both can play 45mins a game because apart from those 2 guys the Rangers are VERY weak at D. The one thing Calgary has to offer is depth at defense, and plenty of the "stay at home" gritty d-men than the Rangers have none of. Luckily for Flames fans Glen Sather is famous for spending excessive amounts of money on old hockey players who are 3 years past their prime. Can anyone say Cory Sarich?

As far as Jeff Carter goes, yeah we all know his name has been thrown around in trade rumors for months now. But it's just a matter of time until Philly pulls the trigger. Like it or not, Jeff Carter will NOT be wearing a Flyers jersey to start the 2011 season. He's an RFA next year and with the Flyers dropping huge $$$ on long term deals with Briere, Richards, Timonen, Pronger, Hartnell, Meszaros, Carle and Coburn...Philly simply won't have the cap space to keep Carter next year and have enough money to resign Giroux, Carcillo and Leino. So, Philly fans...it's time to decide, trade Carter now or lose him for nothing.

That being said, I don't think Calgary has anything that Philly would want/need. So Jeff Carter will not be wearing the flaming C anytime soon.
First, welcome to the boards! Next:

- There are no rumors of buying out Redden, if anything he will be waived at the end of training camp and sent to Hartford.
- Rangers have a pretty good top 4 defense in Staal, Roszival, MDZ, and Girardi. McDonagh is expected to fight for a spot. If anything they could use a depth vet d-man for the last pairing. I'm not sold on Gilroy unless he's made huge strides in the offseason.
- The Rangers have room to re-sign Staal to a contract upwards of $5 million per year, if need be, with the summer cap. Then once Redden is waived they will be under the cap. Not to mention White will more then likely be waived as well unless he has a stellar training camp. That free's up $8.875 million in cap space.
- The one thing Sather has not done since the lockout is trade youth for over-priced aging Vets. He's actually turned down several deals where players like Callahan, Dubinsky, etc have been asked in return. He has been amazing in trades. They just need a co-general manager to handle the free agent signings, then the Rangers would be set.
- Rangers have Staal as a stay-at-home, shut down D-man. He is one of the top young blueliners in the NHL right now.
- And it's Staal, not Stall.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote