HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Best way to better stick handling

Old
08-23-2010, 12:57 PM
Blueland89

vCash: 500
Best way to better stick handling

I've been playing for about 3 months now and i can skate and stick handle enough to get around but not well and i catch myself with my top hand hip locked a lot and it effects my handling in a negative way wondering if anybody know the best way to train myself to keep my hand sin front of me.

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 02:29 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Hip lock is not so hard to deal with, though in part because I never remember having that issue. You've got to practice stick handling all around your body, from backhand to forehand all the way around both sides. Make sure to practice in your bare feet at home or wherever. Do it as much as you can.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 03:06 PM
Blueland89

I think a lot of it has to do with me overskating the puck/ball

Old
08-23-2010, 11:29 PM
Lario Melieux*

"Hiplock" could also mean you're using a stick that's to long

Lario Melieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 01:33 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lario Melieux View Post
"Hiplock" could also mean you're using a stick that's to long
It could, but not necessarily. I've found the opposite to be true in my experience. I think he needs to work on getting the puck further out in front/to the side of him. That'll force the stick handler to move the stick around the body.

Old
08-24-2010, 07:18 AM
The Benchwarmer

Whats Hiplock?

The Benchwarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 08:56 AM
Blueland89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingmanrob View Post
Whats Hiplock?
when you are stickhandling and you keep you top hand on the stick hugged up on your hip. almost like you resting your hand on your hip. it stops you from making more fluid movements, makes you have to move you entire torso just to make a move. I catch myself doing it too much when playing.

Old
08-24-2010, 09:54 AM
jacko23
KCCO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingmanrob View Post
Whats Hiplock?

its pretty self explanitory as to what it is, even though i never heard it before until now. no offense. my question is though, is it a common thing? i cant recall ever doing it OR seeing anyone do it.

jacko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 10:24 AM
qwertysac

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
It could, but not necessarily. I've found the opposite to be true in my experience. I think he needs to work on getting the puck further out in front/to the side of him. That'll force the stick handler to move the stick around the body.
Hip lock does mean that the stick is too long and your solution isn't a good one in my opinion.

If he forces himself to move the puck further in front of him, the puck will be way too far from his body. He won't be able to protect it properly and defenders will poke check it off him all game with no problem before he even gets anywhere near them

Cut your stick little by little (i'd suggest about half an inch or an inch every 2-3 games) until you find the perfect balance of stick length + stick handling mobility.

Last edited by qwertysac: 08-24-2010 at 01:22 PM.
qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 10:41 AM
Blueland89

Yeah and i was wondering about the keeping the puck to much out in front of me too, would it not hurt my stickhandling more leaving on the heel of the stick on the ice/court. I mean the whole point of stickhandling is to protect the puck

Old
08-24-2010, 02:48 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Weird, I did the opposite when learning. I watched Marian Gaborik and he always had his hand up and away from the body and then bent down, like you were holding something heavy at the end of a string.

I'd agree you could have a stick that's too long and/or a lie too low so your top hand is too low. You don't want your top hand stuck against your body. Try a higher lie stick and get your top hand away from the body a bit. A rockered heel helps.

The puck far from the body is not necessarily a bad thing if you have good control of the puck. I use a longer stick and often have the puck farther out from my body. My first year I got picked A LOT and moved to a shorter stick, then as I got better I went longer again. The kicker is every time I carry the puck I am "dangling" it out for the defender to grab, but I'm 100% aware of my escape options, i.e. faking one way and going around him either side, through his legs/stick, etc. I can beat most guys at my level 1-on-1 and often will beat two guys, but that third guy gets me every time and then I get yelled at

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 04:32 PM
HowToHockey

I've done a few videos that might help you. Basically the best way to improve is just to practice a lot. Practice wide movements, practice moving the puck around your entire body, and practice side to side, and front to back. Here is a video and article explaining how to stickhandle and I have a few things you can practice.

You might get a few tips from the article.

Also the toe drag adds another dimension to your game! I found that since i have perfected it, I use it a few times a game and create more chances to score.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 08:10 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

At least you know what your problem is, and knowing's half the battle!!

As cheesy as that sounds it's true, players who get better are the ones who notice their faults and work to correct them, you have to work it into your brain that when you're stickhandling you have to keep both hands mobile, you really have to make a point of remembering it. As for improving the stickhandling, one thing that a lot of people do is tie a weight to a rope and the other end of the rope to a stick. Roll the stick forwards and backwards to raise and lower the weight, this is great for the forearms.

Stjonnypopo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 05:17 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertysac View Post
Hip lock does mean that the stick is too long and your solution isn't a good one in my opinion.

If he forces himself to move the puck further in front of him, the puck will be way too far from his body. He won't be able to protect it properly and defenders will poke check it off him all game with no problem before he even gets anywhere near them

Cut your stick little by little (i'd suggest about half an inch or an inch every 2-3 games) until you find the perfect balance of stick length + stick handling mobility.
Short term, it will be "bad" for him but it is the proper solution unless his stick is some crazy length. Ask yourself this, why do beginners have this problem? It's because they feel like keeping their hands in close to the body and the puck close to them keeps it feeling more secure. It's lack of knowledge and ability, not usually anything to do with their weapon of choice. Believe me, it's him, not his stick.

The answer is practice and force yourself to take the hands away from your hips. I can stick handle approximately the same whether a stick is up to my nose or neck and between 4.5 to 6 lie and believe me, I don't think I'm great, lots of players can. You simply learn to make adjustments in technique, like he must do here.

Last edited by BadHammy*: 08-25-2010 at 05:26 AM.
Old
08-25-2010, 10:29 AM
qwertysac

Quote:
Short term, it will be "bad" for him but it is the proper solution unless his stick is some crazy length. Ask yourself this, why do beginners have this problem? It's because they feel like keeping their hands in close to the body and the puck close to them keeps it feeling more secure. It's lack of knowledge and ability, not usually anything to do with their weapon of choice. Believe me, it's him, not his stick.

The answer is practice and force yourself to take the hands away from your hips. I can stick handle approximately the same whether a stick is up to my nose or neck and between 4.5 to 6 lie and believe me, I don't think I'm great, lots of players can. You simply learn to make adjustments in technique, like he must do here.
Sorry, but i will have to respectfully disagree.

The main reason i feel this way is because with a long stick it is very hard to pass the top hand under your bottom hand in front of your body, which is VERY VERY USEFUL in my opinion.

You can make drop passes on your forehand, you can take bad passes on your backhand that are behind you and you can do sharper and better pivots. None of which would be possible if you can't pass your top hand in front of your body. Your mobility is greatly increased.

Don't believe me? give it a try with a long stick while controlling the puck and see if you can pass that top hand under your bottom hand in front of you. Let me know how it goes.

Old
08-26-2010, 06:02 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

I don't wish to get into an argument, but a long stick isn't usually what causes hip lock. Don't get me wrong, it can contribute to it, you're right. But this doesn't sound like the case here, though I can't know until OP gives us more info. Hiplock is generally caused by a lack of confidence or ability in stickhandling. I played for several years in a small town roller league. It was mixed, from beginners to former college players and I saw beginners with this problem all the time. I was able to correct it every time, without getting them to change the stick.

Old
08-26-2010, 08:16 AM
Blueland89

Quote:
I don't wish to get into an argument, but a long stick isn't usually what causes hip lock. Don't get me wrong, it can contribute to it, you're right. But this doesn't sound like the case here, though I can't know until OP gives us more info. Hiplock is generally caused by a lack of confidence or ability in stickhandling. I played for several years in a small town roller league. It was mixed, from beginners to former college players and I saw beginners with this problem all the time. I was able to correct it every time, without getting them to change the stick.
I honestly think mine is from overskating the puck and trying to keep it on my stick i have to have my hands closer to the body and then i get locked.

As for the longer stick causing hip lock I don't think thats true either (not like I'm an expert like Andy sutton would ask) but in Sweden they teach them young to use a longer stick so that when they stick handle the puck will be out in front of them and they can watch it and keep there head up[at the same time

Old
08-26-2010, 10:12 AM
qwertysac

Peripheral vision would like to have a word with you.

Old
08-26-2010, 10:35 AM
Blueland89

And i am willing to talk, doesn't help that I'm legally Blind in my left eye. I were contacts but when you blind it's really not that great

Old
08-26-2010, 07:37 PM
dpixel8

omg, my weak (top) hand hurts REALLY bad from doing those drills Going to have to work on this. But it is very helpful and you really have a lot more control when moving around.

dpixel8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 08:48 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

I'm no expert this is just my opinion but...

Practice, practice, practice, and most importantly with your head up. Eventually you will get a feel for your space kind of like a goalie does with his space. This is going to sound corny but become one with your stick, let it be an extension of your arms and thoughts. I realize some people are just built mentaly different then others and that is why there are 1st line players and there are 4th line players. But the best advice I can give is practice out in your driveway and do a little shooting against a wall and controling the rebounds, mixed in it will get you to be fluid, improve your hand/eye reflexes and get kind of loosy goosy with your hands. Knowing when to have soft hands and when to put power into your stick is vital to staying one step ahead of your competition.

If this helps, my Jr. Coach always taught us, with your skates off, to put your blade toe on the groundtouch your chin with the butt end, and then chop off anything above your chin.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 08:58 PM
dpixel8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCollarBlueBlood View Post
I'm no expert this is just my opinion but...

Practice, practice, practice, and most importantly with your head up. Eventually you will get a feel for your space kind of like a goalie does with his space. This is going to sound corny but become one with your stick, let it be an extension of your arms and thoughts. I realize some people are just built mentaly different then others and that is why there are 1st line players and there are 4th line players. But the best advice I can give is practice out in your driveway and do a little shooting against a wall and controling the rebounds, mixed in it will get you to be fluid, improve your hand/eye reflexes and get kind of loosy goosy with your hands. Knowing when to have soft hands and when to put power into your stick is vital to staying one step ahead of your competition.

If this helps, my Jr. Coach always taught us, with your skates off, to put your blade toe on the groundtouch your chin with the butt end, and then chop off anything above your chin.

I think I am going to have to do that with one of my sticks, as I feel like I am getting too much heel drag when I am dryland practicing in my garage or outside. Was thinking of doing something like building a 3" "deck" or something, but then I wouldn't really be able to maneuver well at all.

Old
08-26-2010, 09:03 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

^ Ooops, I ment I played that way on ice, but I guess without noticing it was beneficial to dryland prcatice too.

If you think about it though, you dont play stiff legged, you do play with your knees bent most of the game so that makes up the skate height difference.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 09:41 PM
dpixel8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCollarBlueBlood View Post
^ Ooops, I ment I played that way on ice, but I guess without noticing it was beneficial to dryland prcatice too.

If you think about it though, you dont play stiff legged, you do play with your knees bent most of the game so that makes up the skate height difference.

that's very true, but 3" worth? Hrm. I dunno. When I am in sandles in my garage, I feel like I am "choking up" on my stick. Can't be good for practice

Old
08-26-2010, 10:02 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Try stickhandling with the heel of the blade.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote