HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sciatic nerve issues?

Old
01-20-2010, 07:01 PM
robmneilson

vCash: 500
Sciatic nerve issues?

Anyone on here have any experience with this?

I had a hurting back last week, and laid up to rest. The pain went away and now my sciatic nerve is acting up and my right leg is very very weak. It makes it very hard to skate, and I don't really want to miss any of my teams games.

I've been going to the chiropractor and it has helped a bit, but anyone who has dealt with the sciatic nerve...what was your timetable like for getting back to normal?

Any tips other than chiropractor and stretching?

robmneilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 10:17 PM
nystromshairstylist
Scoring at will

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmneilson View Post
Anyone on here have any experience with this?

I had a hurting back last week, and laid up to rest. The pain went away and now my sciatic nerve is acting up and my right leg is very very weak. It makes it very hard to skate, and I don't really want to miss any of my teams games.

I've been going to the chiropractor and it has helped a bit, but anyone who has dealt with the sciatic nerve...what was your timetable like for getting back to normal?

Any tips other than chiropractor and stretching?
Ugh, had that last month, numbness and pain from my back to the back of my knee, just awful.

I changed my positions alot, tried to sit up straight and not slouch, did not sit in a soft couch/chair with no support, etc.

Took about 2-3 days to fully get over.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 07:21 AM
robmneilson

It just sucks being helpless to make it any better!

I woke up today feeling as close to normal as I have in nearly a week! So let's hope I'm back to normal on the ice this weekend.

Old
01-26-2010, 05:57 PM
robmneilson

Going into week two, of having extreme weakness in my lower right leg. Looks like no hockey this week....

Been to the chiropractor, the massage therapist and have had marginal results.

Anyone have any good experiences where their bodies healed themselves after a few short weeks?

Old
01-29-2010, 02:50 PM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quote:
Going into week two, of having extreme weakness in my lower right leg. Looks like no hockey this week....

Been to the chiropractor, the massage therapist and have had marginal results.

Anyone have any good experiences where their bodies healed themselves after a few short weeks?
My Wife is a Physical therapist, and anytime i have back issues/leg pain, it is normally from sitting at a desk job or in front of a computer where you get drawn towards the screen and kills your posture. This causes the fluid between vertebrae to be thin on one side, and creates pain that can shoot down your leg because there is no cushion.

It is sometimes a posture thing.

She tells me to lay on the floor (on your Stomach), put your hands under you near your chest, then push up trying to keep your waist on the floor for like 15 seconds. (called the Mckenzie Stretch) do this a couple times here and there....It may seem liek the opposite thing to do because you probably want to stretch the Hamstring, but trust me, this will feel much better. It reverses the fluid back to it's original position and eases the pressure. It probably wouldn't hurt to also take something like Ibuprofen to reduce the inflammation.

Sometimes just letting your body relax and hang from something is good to relieve pressure on you back.

Last edited by JRZ DVLS: 01-29-2010 at 02:57 PM.
JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 03:10 PM
robmneilson

Thanks for your help...I will definitely be doing that stretch alot more. I usually do it before games, but I'll do it a few times a day.

All my pain is gone, I just have a numb foot and weak calf muscles...I just hope that the nerve will get freed up and I can get back to skating normally!

Old
02-06-2010, 01:21 AM
robmneilson

Going into week four of this...have an MRI schedule for monday.

It's really driving me crazy with how slow progress is. I played in a lower division game today, and was stronger than I was in the last few weeks...but could not get into second gear at all. Normally I would have had 2-3 goals in a game like this, but just couldn't make it happen.

I feel old, and want to be able to use my legs like a normal person again!

Old
02-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Going into week four of this...have an MRI schedule for monday.

It's really driving me crazy with how slow progress is. I played in a lower division game today, and was stronger than I was in the last few weeks...but could not get into second gear at all. Normally I would have had 2-3 goals in a game like this, but just couldn't make it happen.

I feel old, and want to be able to use my legs like a normal person again!
You might have to say good by to that skating. When you have this MRI, it might show that you blew a disk. A ruptured disk is a good indicator when you have a Sciatic Nerve issue. Or shall I say, it's the other way around.

When you have a Siatice nerve problem, it normally a ulsered disk sticking out one side. Seen this too many times on players. But, with about $40,000 later and a lazer treatment you will be good as new.

I would wait for the test results on the MRI first...I'm just a Head coach, not a doctor!

Good Luck!
Head coach

02-26-2010, 10:32 PM
nickerjones

Send a message via AIM to nickerjones Send a message via Yahoo to nickerjones
Sorry to bump an old thread but I just dealt with this same thing... Two weeks ago tomorrow I was stick and pucking at an AM session and my back tightened up. I shut er down and went home and iced my back. Sunday night before going to bed I had a shot of pain from my right butt cheek and hammered down right on my ankle. I went to the doc and got a shot of toradol on monday. It felt so good I skated monday night. Well Tues the pain was back and it was so unbearable that any time i put weight on my right side it would almost put me on my ass. Finally a week into it , It got so bad and debilitating that I went to the ER. They gave me a shot of Toradol , a shot of Muscle Relaxer, and a prescription for muscle relaxers and for a Steroid. It finally eased up yesterday . SO almost two weeks of excruciating pain. I feel bad for ya bud. I would go to an orthopedic doc and they might be able to get you some toradol and a muscle relaxer

nickerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 09:54 AM
robmneilson

Whelp about six weeks after the initial injury I am as good as new from a ruptured disc pressing on my nerve!

This week was the first time my leg felt as strong as normal, I'll try skating on it tonite and see what happens.

Your problems sounds a bit more severe than mine (I had no real pain, just weakness in the leg) but good thing you got treatment right away unlike I did.

Old
02-27-2010, 03:56 PM
shorre

I have suffered from sciatic pain for years. It comes and goes. I find the best way to stop the pain is ice and stretching. When the pain subsides a tad I do yoga, it works best for me. My problem is that once I feel good to go I stop the yoga/stretching and eventually comes back.

I have done everything known to man to try and fix the problem excluding surgery which I will not do. Watching your posture is good advice .

shorre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 05:38 PM
robmneilson

Good call, I'll be getting a new desk chair that has support so I won't be slouching while I work.

I take great pains to stretch out alot more now...I just hope I'll be sciatic nerve problem free for a long while.

Old
03-01-2010, 08:03 PM
nickerjones

Quote:
Good call, I'll be getting a new desk chair that has support so I won't be slouching while I work.

I take great pains to stretch out alot more now...I just hope I'll be sciatic nerve problem free for a long while.
I went to the CHiro today... He suggest massage and stretching to cure it when it flares up... and of course adjustments by him.....

I have been stretching daily and gotten a couple adjustments from him. I back and sciatic problems have been easing daily now. I hope I am also free of sciatic nerve pain for a while!

Old
03-02-2010, 04:08 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
I used to have sciatica, it was easily the worst pain in my life. Had it for months, I think at least 6. Now I'm competely pain free and have been for about 2 years. It is possible to fully recover from a blown disc or a ligament tear. My back is stronger than it ever was before (I'm very much into powerlifting). As for how I did it, a lot of people won't like the answer.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 04:36 PM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorre View Post
I have suffered from sciatic pain for years. It comes and goes. I find the best way to stop the pain is ice and stretching. When the pain subsides a tad I do yoga, it works best for me. My problem is that once I feel good to go I stop the yoga/stretching and eventually comes back.

I have done everything known to man to try and fix the problem excluding surgery which I will not do. Watching your posture is good advice .
DING DING DING!!!!!

If you ruptured/Blown something out, thats a totally different story, but Sciatic pain can often be avoided or lessened by good posture. Especially those of us with computer/Desk jobs. you tend to lean into the computer more and more as you work...( I took Ergonomics (as a product designer---And work on a computer all day), and have the PT wife) They say for this, you should get up from your desk 3-4 times an hour and just do a quick 10 second Stretch like a yawn or something where you throw your arms back..

Plus Back surgery sucks, and is not 100%, can sometimes complicate more....

Old
03-02-2010, 04:39 PM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quote:
Whelp about six weeks after the initial injury I am as good as new from a ruptured disc pressing on my nerve!

This week was the first time my leg felt as strong as normal, I'll try skating on it tonite and see what happens.

Your problems sounds a bit more severe than mine (I had no real pain, just weakness in the leg) but good thing you got treatment right away unlike I did.
Glad to hear you are doing better. And that you found out what was the problem. Hopefully they gave you some good exercises that you may be able share with others that are in the same boat. But as always, we just suggest things, going to a Doc is always a good thing to make sure.

Old
08-24-2010, 01:05 PM
robmneilson

Well...looks like I did it again. My back hurt all week, but I decided to play in 3 games this weekend, which seems like a big mistake. I was hurting after the games, but felt fine yesterday until my leg went numb and the shooting pains began!

Luckily my health insurance will kick in next week (if I can survive until then) but let me just say...if you're hurting DON'T PLAY! I'll probably be out of action for another six weeks...thankfully I'm in between seasons and have about a month until my next game.

Old
08-25-2010, 07:27 AM
nickerjones

Quote:
Well...looks like I did it again. My back hurt all week, but I decided to play in 3 games this weekend, which seems like a big mistake. I was hurting after the games, but felt fine yesterday until my leg went numb and the shooting pains began!

Luckily my health insurance will kick in next week (if I can survive until then) but let me just say...if you're hurting DON'T PLAY! I'll probably be out of action for another six weeks...thankfully I'm in between seasons and have about a month until my next game.
Well my sciatic nerve pain is still bothering me , since march. I have had 3 spinal steroid shots. The 1st one worked for 2 weeks, and its been a month since the last one. I have occasional pain. Sometimes its bearable and other times it is not. Mon and Tues I had to miss work because I could not even get out of bed. I start physical theraphy today so hopefully that works!

Old
08-25-2010, 10:09 AM
robmneilson

Ouch man...I'm probably suffering 1/20th of that pain that you are in and I thought THIS was unbearable. Get better!