HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Why doesn't IIHF give the TV rights to ESPN or ESPN2?

Old
05-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas1235 View Post
The NHL really needs to make a world cup of hockey. That way they can have a major tournament and put it where they want and decide who broadcasts it.
Meanwhile in the real world, only Canadians care about the World Cup. No one else.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 10:57 PM
Jonas1235

Not if they promote it around the world.

It would gain more prestige if they stopped going to the Olympics. It would be the new pinnacle of hockey. Something that the IIHF cannot replicate.

And the best part, the NHL keeps all revenue. It will happen soon.

Jonas1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 11:07 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas1235 View Post
Not if they promote it around the world.

It would gain more prestige if they stopped going to the Olympics. It would be the new pinnacle of hockey. Something that the IIHF cannot replicate.

And the best part, the NHL keeps all revenue. It will happen soon.
The Stanley Cup is the pinnacle of hockey and always will be. At least for hockey players who strive for the highest goals. The only way the Cup would be supersceded is by the Olympics. It will never be the World Championships

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 03:18 AM
Dfire

Some people only care about the NHL. Some people don't care about the NHL at all. Some care about the WCH and the NHL. Arguing what's important or not is futile unless you present sustainable numbers. One thing is for sure even without numbers though: that old argument "Nobody cares about x" is plain wrong for pretty much any competition. It's just a very predictable excuse for real or potential bad performances.

Dfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 04:52 PM
Tony Piscotta
Hockey's Future Staff

ESPN "sports" programming

Fair point, that most "sports" fans wouldn't know the USA players.

But would those numbers really be less than those who know who world class poker players, WNBA stars, or college softball players are? Not to mention the afternoon/early evening "sports talk" shows with characters like Kornheiser, Colin Cowherd, the woman with him, and that other one with the people in eight different locales that's supposed to be some type of hard-hitting "sports journalism"?

Much like MTV stopped being about music a long time ago, calling ESPN a "sports network" is really stretching things.

You think that somewhere on American TV there would have been an audience for the tournament.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat View Post
What the hell are you talking about? You expect casual fans to know who David Leggio, Ben Bishop, and Chris Kreider are? Are you insane? Most people on these boards probably never even heard of them

Tony Piscotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 04:33 PM
BladesofSTEELwFIRE

I've wanted to watch the IIHF World Championships for YEARS but it's never on TV in North America which is a JOKE!

At least Versus should pick it up!

BladesofSTEELwFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 04:35 PM
BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Meanwhile in the real world, only Canadians care about the World Cup. No one else.
I wouldn't go that far. Nothing can compare to the 87 Canada Cup with Lemieux/Gretezky/Messier vs. Krutov/Larionov/Makarov but international hockey is still the best hockey out there!

Let's just hope the Russians don't SUCK **** next time!!

Old
08-23-2010, 04:37 PM
BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy_Eyez View Post
If the IIHF chose one day to host it in the United States I think you might see ESPN take a look at it.
It was in Quebec a couple years ago but they still didn't care!!

Old
08-23-2010, 04:45 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 540
Worlds have been being shown on NBC's Universal Sports the last few years.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 05:18 PM
afrobomber11

atlanta should host, god knows they wont make the playoffs

afrobomber11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 06:24 PM
therealdeal

Quote:
The irony here of course being that European fans call North American hockey viewers ignorant and jerks for not embracing the World Championships, but its fine for European fans for some reason to slag the World Cup, despite the fact that its exciting hockey with all the best players in the world.

I guess hypocrisy can be found everywhere there.

therealdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 03:17 AM
DoyleG
Mr. Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal View Post
The irony here of course being that European fans call North American hockey viewers ignorant and jerks for not embracing the World Championships, but its fine for European fans for some reason to slag the World Cup, despite the fact that its exciting hockey with all the best players in the world.

I guess hypocrisy can be found everywhere there.
Except that his points do have validity. The World Cup has been suffering since it doesn't have much of a profile outside of Canada.

DoyleG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 05:19 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSTEELwFIRE View Post
I wouldn't go that far. Nothing can compare to the 87 Canada Cup with Lemieux/Gretezky/Messier vs. Krutov/Larionov/Makarov but international hockey is still the best hockey out there!
Different times back then. No cold war, other sports have become bigger, media interest outside of the top 6-7 is a lot smaller than before.

World Championships are like two week Mardi Gras for European fans, it does't matter much to them, at home or to those attending the games, what leagues the players come from. The fans are there to get drunk and support their country, the same applies to the fans in front of their tvs, though they also spend a lot of time complaining about their team on message boards.

Considering the amount of posts the Soccer section got before the EPL start, I'd be willing to bet that if there is a World Cup in 2012, that section will still get lot of interest, if not more. Personally, Team Finland is expected to suck then, games are likely to be on pay tv in the middle of the might -> ManU's games will get more interest from me. Not to mention that the sports calendar that year will already have seen the Euro 2012 June 8th - July 1st and the London Olympic Games July 27th - August 12th. No one (outside of Canada) is going to care about a hockey tournament in August/September after those.

Last edited by Jussi: 09-17-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Old
08-24-2010, 01:31 PM
therealdeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinD80 View Post
Except that his points do have validity. The World Cup has been suffering since it doesn't have much of a profile outside of Canada.
He's right in that its mostly people in Canada don't care about it, but the reasons are just as invalid as the reasons for people in North America not enjoying the World Championships.

If you like hockey, and you like international hockey, both of these tournaments offer just that. Good international hockey. Complain all you want about "validity" and "what the tourney proves", a true fan doesn't really care and just sits back and enjoys it.

therealdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 03:35 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal View Post
He's right in that its mostly people in Canada don't care about it, but the reasons are just as invalid as the reasons for people in North America not enjoying the World Championships.

If you like hockey, and you like international hockey, both of these tournaments offer just that. Good international hockey. Complain all you want about "validity" and "what the tourney proves", a true fan doesn't really care and just sits back and enjoys it.
World Cup just isn't that good hockey anymore. Last World Cup was really inferior hockey compared to e.g. 2008 and 2009 Worlds.

Old
08-24-2010, 05:06 PM
afrobomber11

thats because the last world cup was the last hurrah of clutch and grab boring ass trap hockey

Old
08-25-2010, 01:09 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrobomber11 View Post
thats because the last world cup was the last hurrah of clutch and grab boring ass trap hockey
No, it was because they players were in pre-training camp for, out of shape or just out of surgery or in need of one (aka Finland's first line).

Old
08-25-2010, 03:02 PM
afrobomber11

Quote:
No, it was because they players were in pre-training camp for, out of shape or just out of surgery or in need of one (aka Finland's first line).
haha lehtinen koivu selanne

Old
08-25-2010, 06:23 PM
BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Worlds have been being shown on NBC's Universal Sports the last few years.
But nobody gets that channel!!

Old
09-06-2010, 08:04 AM
Ilya Kovalchoke*

Quote:
World Cup just isn't that good hockey anymore. Last World Cup was really inferior hockey compared to e.g. 2008 and 2009 Worlds.
That is because of it's before the season. If it was say after the NHL playoffs or in the middle of the season it would be better hockey than WHC because it would have the best players, not just the playoff failures.

Ilya Kovalchoke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 03:48 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percyswan View Post
That is because of it's before the season. If it was say after the NHL playoffs or in the middle of the season it would be better hockey than WHC because it would have the best players, not just the playoff failures.
Yes but we all know a World Cup wouldn't be organized in the middle of the season. Owners would have the same issues as with the Olympics.

Old
09-07-2010, 10:26 AM
Ilya Kovalchoke*

Quote:
Yes but we all know a World Cup wouldn't be organized in the middle of the season. Owners would have the same issues as with the Olympics.
I think it is possible, they went to the Vancouver and Salt Lake Olympics in the middle of the year even though NHL doesn't make any money from them. World Cup revenue would go to the NHL and it would likely be in NA most of the time keeping the tournament length down. This would be even easier to do if the NHL moved the All-star game to before the NHL season (or ditched it in WC years) since it doesn't matter and the players don't need to be a 100% to play it, giving the NHL more room to fit it in the schedule. The league could also consider starting the season a little earlier (say a week or so) to spread out the games a little better in WC years to lower the amount injuries and allocate more time to WC schedule.

The NHL has some opinions if they wanted to do this. With that said I think the Olympics will be the only international event that will be so highly regarded, WC and WHC can't challenge it. They won't likely even get full participation in those events and the Olympic champion will always be considered the true champion, I think (as long as NHL continues to go). I do think a World Cup would be closer to that than the World Hockey Championship though.

Ilya Kovalchoke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
I think it is possible, they went to the Vancouver and Salt Lake Olympics in the middle of the year even though NHL doesn't make any money from them. World Cup revenue would go to the NHL and it would likely be in NA most of the time keeping the tournament length down. This would be even easier to do if the NHL moved the All-star game to before the NHL season (or ditched it in WC years) since it doesn't matter and the players don't need to be a 100% to play it, giving the NHL more room to fit it in the schedule. The league could also consider starting the season a little earlier (say a week or so) to spread out the games a little better in WC years to lower the amount injuries and allocate more time to WC schedule.

The NHL has some opinions if they wanted to do this. With that said I think the Olympics will be the only international event that will be so highly regarded, WC and WHC can't challenge it. They won't likely even get full participation in those events and the Olympic champion will always be considered the true champion, I think (as long as NHL continues to go). I do think a World Cup would be closer to that than the World Hockey Championship though.
The Olympics are another thing, of course palyers go to there. But World Cup in the middle of the season and held only in North America? Fat chance of getting the Europeans to go along with that. And scheduling would be impossible for games to be played in different continents.

Old
09-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Zine

Quote:
If played mid-season, the World Cup would have as many declines as the World Championships. I think many players would love to have 1-2 weeks off mid-season to heal injuries, rest, etc.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 07:06 PM
BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Quote:
Different times back then. No cold war, other sports have become bigger, media interest outside of the top 6-7 is a lot smaller than before.

World Championships are like two week Mardi Gras for European fans, it does't matter much to them, at home or to those attending the games, what leagues the players come from. The fans are there to get drunk and support their country, the same applies to the fans in front of their tvs, though they also spend a lot of time complaining about their team on message boards.

Considering the amount of posts the Soccer section got before the EPl start, I'd be willing to bet that if there is a World Cup in 2012, that section will still get lot of interest, if not more. Personally, Team Finland is expected to suck then, games are likely to be on pay tv in the middle of the might -> ManU's games will get more interest from me. Not to mention that the sports calendar that year will already have seen the Euro 2012 June 8th - July 1st and the London Olympic Games July 27th - August 12th. No one (outside of Canada) is going to care about a hockey tournament in August/September after those.
That's why hockey was better back then. Gretzky implied that by saying international hockey will never be same again after the fall of the Soviet Union.

Plus back then you Lemieux and Gretzky battling for 200 points and Brett Hull trying to get 100 goals and now the players can't do jack squat compared to that!!