HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sather: What more?

Closed Thread

Old
08-24-2010, 01:56 PM
dedalus

vCash: 500
Sather: What more?

Please consider the following statement.

Quote:
There is no magic GM or formula that would miraculously turnaround this squad as currently configured. In fact many GMs would be doing much of what we’ve been doing these past few years. Integrating youth, drafting well, giving prospects a chance to make the team.
If we take this as true, how should we handle Sather? Should we kick him to the curb or give him more time?

Old
08-24-2010, 02:05 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post

If we take this as true, how should we handle Sather? Should we kick him to the curb or give him more time?
bottom line is the team needs 2 yrs to develop the kids and lose the crap contracts of Drury and Rozsival. Once that's done the kids should be ready to contribute even more and we all pray they spend the money wisely on a#1 Centre.

till then they will battle for the 6/7/8th spots

Doesnt matter wdhat we want with Sather he is the GM until he retires cause for some odd reason they love the guy even though we are average.

Old
08-24-2010, 02:11 PM
TreeSapLlama

Quote:

No hockey championship team is built in 1 to 2 years, but he has had a decade. Jeff Gorton please.

Old
08-24-2010, 02:18 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Doesnt matter wdhat we want with Sather he is the GM until he retires
Well that's absolutely true (and unfortunate IMO), but I'm posing this as a "what SHOULD" question not a "what WILL."

Old
08-24-2010, 02:18 PM
94now

Anyone knows the formula, not everyone is successful using it. Get him out of here!

Old
08-24-2010, 02:28 PM
ecemleafs

who cares...hes the GM and he will be the GM until he decides he wants to retire.

Old
08-24-2010, 02:34 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

We've given Sather 10 years for crying out loud, get someone else in here.

Old
08-24-2010, 02:42 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
who cares...hes the GM and he will be the GM until he decides he wants to retire.
"Should" not "will."

This is an evaluation thread, not a prediction thread.

Old
08-24-2010, 02:45 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Just remember for better or worse Mark Messier is the next GM of the NY Rangers

I have no problem with Messier spending some more time in a suit before this happens. The more he learns the better. I have faith he will take the good and leave the rest.

08-24-2010, 02:50 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
That's likely the case but we're evaluating Sather's employment status based on his past, and on the likelihood that another GM would merely be making the same moves as Sather.

If background helps, the initial poster actually stipulated that this would apply to a "golden" GM. Messier obviously hasn't earned that particular stamp.

Old
08-24-2010, 02:51 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post

I have no problem with Messier spending some more time in a suit before this happens. The more he learns the better. I have faith he will take the good and leave the rest.
In a sick way, it could be argued that the more Mess sees what Glen does wrong, the better he'll understand what not to do when he takes over. Of course, it could also be the more time Mess spends watching Glen, the more Mess learns from him...

Sigh. Can't we get someone from the Wings organizational tree?

Old
08-24-2010, 02:56 PM
Jersey Girl

Glen Sather put us into this predicament, and not only does he not deserve to be the one who brings us out of it, he has offered no proof that he has the ability to get us out of it.

Old
08-24-2010, 02:58 PM
GAGLine

Unless the cap drops significantly in the next CBA, we should have a sizeable amount of cap space 2 years from now. I don't want Sather deciding how to spend that money.

Old
08-24-2010, 03:15 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
It's amazing to think that Sather has been here 10 years. When Neil Smith was canned he was 6 seasons removed from winning the Cup and 3 seasons removed from a run to the ECF.

08-24-2010, 03:29 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

All will hinge on the UFA acquisitions made after the Rozsival/Redden/Drury contracts or off the books or in Redden's case, removed from the cap hit during the regular season

Old
08-24-2010, 03:30 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
"Should" not "will."

This is an evaluation thread, not a prediction thread.
If the "will" is such a strong truism, doesn't the "should" become a waste of time?

-Should humans die?
-Humans will die.
-Irrelevant. Should they die?
-But... they will die.
-I don't care about "will". Should?
-Will.

Though, I think it's obvious he shouldn't be here any longer. The proof lies within the argument of those that would have you believe he should be given another chance...... 10 years is not enough to evaluate him. It will require 12-13 years to reap the benefits of his master plan. And then you'll see!!!

Old
08-24-2010, 03:37 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
All will hinge on the UFA acquisitions made after the Rozsival/Redden/Drury contracts or off the books or in Redden's case, removed from the cap hit during the regular season
Yeah, after Sather's disastrous signings finally come off the books and he finally has cap space again, all will hinge on Sather's free agent signings. I think I'm gonna be sick.

Old
08-24-2010, 03:47 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Yeah, after Sather's disastrous signings finally come off the books and he finally has cap space again, all will hinge on Sather's free agent signings. I think I'm gonna be sick.
How much can one possibly complain about Sather? It is what it is... You don't even know if he'll be the GM in two years time, nor which UFA's will be available to target.... The Gaborik signing certainly didn't bite us in the ass yet, did it?

Old
08-24-2010, 03:55 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
How much can one possibly complain about Sather? It is what it is... You don't even know if he'll be the GM in two years time, nor which UFA's will be available to target.... The Gaborik signing certainly didn't bite us in the ass yet, did it?
The OP asked for our opinion regarding Sather and I gave mine. The personal attacks (not by you) got that other thread closed, let's keep this one about Sather.

My point is that if 'everything hinges' on our next batch of free agent signings, which can't happen until Sather's other disastrous signings come off the books...Sather should NOT be the one deciding who to sign next.

Old
08-24-2010, 04:06 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
The CBA has forced Sather to change his modality, nothing else has. If it were up to him, he'd still be signing UFA's to inflated contracts and trading away youth for overagers....dump this guy....if only we had Yzerman.

Old
08-24-2010, 04:09 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Unless the cap drops significantly in the next CBA, we should have a sizeable amount of cap space 2 years from now. I don't want Sather deciding how to spend that money.
Exactly--he's made too many big money mistakes.

Old
08-24-2010, 04:11 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
My point is that if 'everything hinges' on our next batch of free agent signings, which can't happen until Sather's other disastrous signings come off the books...Sather should NOT be the one deciding who to sign next.

We don't really have any choice or say in that.... I'm less concerned with who's making the decisions then what players are actually available to target... Some players are no-brainers to pursue.... The caliber of this team can/could be drastically transformed with the right acquisitions...

Old
08-24-2010, 04:30 PM
gluvhand

I don't get it. If somebody doesn't like the premise of the thread and doesn't want to play along, why bother posting?

I personally think the curb would spit him back but it's a start. I also think any reputable, experienced GM worth his salt wouldn't take the job until this team is out from under Sather's pile. Anybody taking this job right now is doomed unless they're willing and allowed to just wait out the bad contracts and eat a few mediocre seasons.

Last edited by gluvhand: 08-24-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old
08-24-2010, 04:32 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
We don't really have any choice or say in that.... I'm less concerned with who's making the decisions then what players are actually available to target... Some players are no-brainers to pursue.... The caliber of this team can/could be drastically transformed with the right acquisitions...
Having your say about that is the entire objective of this thread. If you want to make another thread about who is going to be available years down the road, go ahead.

Old
08-24-2010, 04:44 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Having your say about that is the entire objective of this thread.
I had my say, thank you.

Closed Thread