HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Frolov's Vanilla Interview

Old
08-24-2010, 01:36 PM
94now

vCash: 500
Frolov's Vanilla Interview

Thanks, squishi.

http://www.beyondtheblueshirts.com/2...l-team-loyalty

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 02:07 PM
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust

good read, I'm excited to hear that he is motviated and has a positive attitude. Can't wait to see him this fall

MacTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 03:05 PM
pwoz

I have a really good feeling about Frolov this season, but I was hoping he'd sign a 2 year deal... you figure he's looking to bounce back and will have a career year playing with Gabby and his next contract demands will be too much.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 03:13 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester 88 View Post
good read, I'm excited to hear that he is motviated and has a positive attitude. Can't wait to see him this fall
We all had that feeling about Z.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 03:38 PM
SouthJerseyRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
I would say the situations are completely different.

1) Zherdev was brought here to be THE guy, the top line right winger. Alexander Frolov does not have to be the one everyone looks to, we have Gaborik for that.

2) Yes they are both highly skilled Russian players (well, Zherdev is Ukrainian), but that's where the similarities stop. Would you call Zherdev a guy who is strong on the puck and can really work in the corners? Not really... Frolov is WELL KNOWN for his ability with the puck and along the boards.

3) Frolov has been pretty consistent.. his worst season after the lockout being last year at 19-32-51, best being 35-36-71 in 2006-07. Assists stayed about the same, he just saw a dropoff in goals due to less Top 6/power play time. Basically... he doesn't really become invisible. Zherdev on the other hand had a season where he completely disappeared... and we ALL remember the final month/playoffs of the 2008-09 campaign.

I think all Russians in this league get a bad rep because they are often highly skilled and don't seem to live up to it. I don't think it's fair to say that Frolov has gone through stretches of apathy and I think he'll fit right in on the Rangers, especially if he gets time with Gaborik.

SouthJerseyRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 03:40 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Redden too. Remember everyone on this forum who blamed Ottawa for the dropoff in Redden's play for two years? All he needed was a change of scenery.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 03:48 PM
Matteau Matteau

I'm guessing he pots 20 - 25 for us. Which I'd be happy with.

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 04:17 PM
TreeSapLlama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Redden too. Remember everyone on this forum who blamed Ottawa for the dropoff in Redden's play for two years? All he needed was a change of scenery.
I think this is grasping at straws. I don't remember a single person who said "Wade Redden is a UFA this year, and he sucked because Ottawa misused him. Lock him up slats!". After he signed with us, of course people were HOPING it was Ottawa's fault, since otherwise it would be a terrible move. But these are two very different situations.

On the topic of Frolov, anyone who thinks his game resembles Zherdev in the slightest has never watched him play. His tenure here, be it boom or bust, is 100% independent of everything that happened with Zherdev.

Also, despite his inconsistancy, Zherdev was our leading scorer. He wasn't the worst thing to happen to the Rangers by a long shot.

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 04:30 PM
pwoz

I don't think more than 2% of the fan base was excited by signing Redden.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 04:40 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianJagr View Post
I think this is grasping at straws. I don't remember a single person who said "Wade Redden is a UFA this year, and he sucked because Ottawa misused him. Lock him up slats!". After he signed with us, of course people were HOPING it was Ottawa's fault, since otherwise it would be a terrible move. But these are two very different situations.
Read it and weep...

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=537890

Seriously. Weep.

Old
08-24-2010, 04:55 PM
TreeSapLlama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Read it and weep...

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=537890

Seriously. Weep.
"Scrolls through looking for any posts i made". Whew. On that note, wow, I really didn't expect that much positivity from the Rangers fan base. How far we have come in 2 years

On that note, Frolov won't suck, I promise!

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 11:01 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
"Scrolls through looking for any posts i made".
So did I. Here is my humble contribution.
Quote:
There are few times when a player moving to New York has less pressure than they did in their previous environ but this case may be the exception. Redden was the face of the franchise in Ottawa for years and two years ago a lot of people around here (starting with me) were lined up to give him the farm to come to New York. His off-ice distractions (mother's death, the numerous attempts to circumvent his NTC and the toxic Ottawa locker room) are well chronicled. So is the pressure of playing for a team that has disintegrated from Stanley Cup finalist to also-ran over the past year. Look, if he gets back on track, we'll all be patting ourselves on the back wondering how we could get a franchise defenseman for less than the market rate. And if not, we've got another in the long line of overpaid, over the hill players who use the Rangers as their retirement annuity. At least until we can package him off to a team that can't meet the salary cap floor. And to answer your question, yes I am worried.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 11:08 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
I don't think more than 2% of the fan base was excited by signing Redden.
I was excited to see how much he was gonna blow.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 08:43 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
"Scrolls through looking for any posts i made". Whew. On that note, wow, I really didn't expect that much positivity from the Rangers fan base. How far we have come in 2 years

On that note, Frolov won't suck, I promise!
The scary part is that even while Ottawa fans are posting over and over about Redden's poor and unmotivated play during his last two years in Ottawa, there are people (including respected posters like Ola) falling all over themselves to offer Redden every excuse in the book, in order to justify the signing in their minds.