HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Preds re-sign Patric Hornqvist - 3 years, $9.25 million

Old
08-24-2010, 11:59 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

vCash: 500

For the visual like me. I could see the Preds at 47.5 million in cash salary and 48.5 million in cap.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 12:03 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
I'll admit, the money is higher than I expected, but not by much and I believe this deal places a bit of risk on both sides. Obviously if Hornqvist pulls a Little and reverts to a 15 goal scorer, he'll be overpaid. However, if Hornqvist maintains or builds on his 30 goal season from last year...it'll wind up a steal for the Preds.

As long as Patric remains on a line with guys that put the puck to the net, he will get his goals. Hornqvist doesn't create offense on his own, rather he creates offense by being very willing and very good at going hard to the net and making life difficult on both the goalie and the defensemen by screening before the shot, getting deflections on the initial shot towards the net, and relentlessly pouncing on any rebounds created.

Personally, I'm happy to see Hornqvist locked up for the next three years and am ecstatic when I realize that at the end of this deal...Hornqvist will still be under our control as an RFA!!!

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 12:06 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
he is 23 now. in three years he will be 26. how will that make him eligible to be a UFA?

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 12:06 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

This looks like a hybrid of a Weber/Legwand/Erat deal. Lots of risk for the potential but yet there is still control because of the RFA status afterward.

To me, I see Hornqvist as a forward pairing with Weber's big shot. Much like Ward. Remember, Ward was the guy who parked himself in front of the net and scored 17 goals.

Who do you want as Hornqvist's center and wing for this year?

Old
08-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
he is 23 now. in three years he will be 26. how will that make him eligible to be a UFA?
He won't be. To qualify for UFA status, players must be 27 years old or have 7 NHL seasons under their belt. Hornqvist falls short on both accounts and will be an RFA at the end of the deal.

Old
08-24-2010, 12:26 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
I'll admit, the money is higher than I expected, but not by much and I believe this deal places a bit of risk on both sides. Obviously if Hornqvist pulls a Little and reverts to a 15 goal scorer, he'll be overpaid. However, if Hornqvist maintains or builds on his 30 goal season from last year...it'll wind up a steal for the Preds.

As long as Patric remains on a line with guys that put the puck to the net, he will get his goals. Hornqvist doesn't create offense on his own, rather he creates offense by being very willing and very good at going hard to the net and making life difficult on both the goalie and the defensemen by screening before the shot, getting deflections on the initial shot towards the net, and relentlessly pouncing on any rebounds created.

Personally, I'm happy to see Hornqvist locked up for the next three years and am ecstatic when I realize that at the end of this deal...Hornqvist will still be under our control as an RFA!!!
The only problem is that Arnott and Weber were the only ones besides Hornqvist himself to come close to topping 200 shots on goal (and Arnott's not here anymore).

This is going to be interesting this year.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 12:32 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Yeah and Lombardi was 174 with Phoenix.

Old
08-24-2010, 12:34 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
The only problem is that Arnott and Weber were the only ones besides Hornqvist himself to come close to topping 200 shots on goal (and Arnott's not here anymore).

This is going to be interesting this year.
Yes, but Hornqvist's best work came on a line with Goc and Sully last season...

Arnott and Weber shoot to score. That's great, but all Patric needs are guys that throw the puck on net looking to create...

Old
08-24-2010, 12:43 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Yes, but Hornqvist's best work came on a line with Goc and Sully last season...

Arnott and Weber shoot to score. That's great, but all Patric needs are guys that throw the puck on net looking to create...
Not exactly...

Hornqvist's best work came on the PP (a ridiculously high 10G for the short amount of time he had on the PP). That was often (but not always) with Arnott and Weber.

Old
08-24-2010, 12:51 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Sounds to me it's Hornqvist + Weber + Sully + Lombardi.

The difference between Arnott and Lombardi is age and the stats for Lombardi is slightly less than Arnott's.

Also it doesn't even have to be shots just someone who sees Hornqvist who's in position for a goal and passing it to him. Suter.

Old
08-24-2010, 02:10 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Sounds to me it's Hornqvist + Weber + Sully + Lombardi.

The difference between Arnott and Lombardi is age and the stats for Lombardi is slightly less than Arnott's.

Also it doesn't even have to be shots just someone who sees Hornqvist who's in position for a goal and passing it to him. Suter.
Actually, Lombardi's propensity for shooting is much, much more along the lines of Martin Erat (almost exactly if I remember correctly off the top of my head).

Both of which are well below that of Weber, Hornqvist and Arnott.

Old
08-24-2010, 02:28 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Actually, Lombardi's propensity for shooting is much, much more along the lines of Martin Erat (almost exactly if I remember correctly off the top of my head).

Both of which are well below that of Weber, Hornqvist and Arnott.
And yet he would still be 3rd on the Preds in shots and take over Arnott's spot. I just want to know if Trotz tells Lombardi just to go nuts shooting?

And of course Weber is #1 in shots.

Old
08-24-2010, 02:49 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
And yet he would still be 3rd on the Preds in shots and take over Arnott's spot. I just want to know if Trotz tells Lombardi just to go nuts shooting?

And of course Weber is #1 in shots.
Shots of goal? Hornqvist is tops on the Preds for last season (excluding playoffs) by far:

1. Patric Hornqvist (275), 80 GP
2. Shea Weber (222), 78 GP
3. Jason Arnott (216), 63 GP
4. Martin Erat (168), 74 GP
5. Steve Sullivan (152), 82 GP
6. David Legwand (151), 82 GP
7. Joel Ward (134), 71 GP

Lombardi had 174 S/G in 78 GP. Prorate Arnott's GP to around Erat's number of games played and Arnott would have been around 254 shots on goal. Lombardi only shoots a puck on net at roughly 69% the frequency of Arnott.

Remember that the starting point of this discussion was the need for Hornqvist to have shooters on the ice with him in order to capitalize on rebounds.

This is my one lingering concern with Arnott's departure- and the reason I've turned my shot-increasing attention to Martin Erat given his natural goal-scoring abilities. Lombardi may rank third on the Predators shots-on-goal statistics, but his totals in that regard pale next to the man he's replacing in that slot.

Old
08-24-2010, 02:51 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

More than I thought, but glad its done.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 02:55 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Shots of goal? Hornqvist is tops on the Preds for last season (excluding playoffs) by far:

1. Patric Hornqvist (275), 80 GP
2. Shea Weber (222), 78 GP
3. Jason Arnott (216), 63 GP
4. Martin Erat (168), 74 GP
5. Steve Sullivan (152), 82 GP
6. David Legwand (151), 82 GP
7. Joel Ward (134), 71 GP

Lombardi had 174 S/G in 78 GP. Prorate Arnott's GP to around Erat's number of games played and Arnott would have been around 254 shots on goal. Lombardi only shoots a puck on net at roughly 69% the frequency of Arnott.

Remember that the starting point of this discussion was the need for Hornqvist to have shooters on the ice with him in order to capitalize on rebounds.

This is my one lingering concern with Arnott's departure- and the reason I've turned my shot-increasing attention to Martin Erat given his natural goal-scoring abilities. Lombardi may rank third on the Predators shots-on-goal statistics, but his totals in that regard pale next to the man he's replacing in that slot.
How did I block out Hornqvist on that one? Oy.

Old
08-24-2010, 03:14 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Hornqvist's best work was on the PP with Arnott and Weber able to get the puck on net, but it also took away a defensive player's ability to battle with Hornqvist while the rest of the Preds were covered. I'm among those who think realistically his goal production will decrease this season, but I'm also hopeful that he has been working on other skills this off season much like he did last. The kid is still growing, and he obviously has the work ethic to succeed.

BFC, I think you blocked out Hornqvist because the discussion was about him. The next player in line is Weber. Who knows, but just agree with me so you'll look better

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 03:18 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
BFC, I think you blocked out Hornqvist because the discussion was about him. The next player in line is Weber. Who knows, but just agree with me so you'll look better
I'll just put a and here and be done with it.

Old
08-24-2010, 03:20 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Haha

Oh I forgot to add this to my post up there, but I was pretty happy to see a deal had been reached when I signed onto the boards during lunch break. Hadn't been feeling well all day, but this kind of livened me up a bit. A bit more money than I had expected, but it isn't a bad contract unless he just completely tanks, and even then it's only a three year deal. If Poile was able to move Mason a few years back I think he could move Hornqvist if the need arises. But it won't.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 03:22 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

God I need some hockey.

Old
08-24-2010, 03:47 PM
Tapp

For anyone interested, Poile is scheduled to be on 104.5 at 5:30.

Tapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 04:24 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapp View Post
For anyone interested, Poile is scheduled to be on 104.5 at 5:30.
Of course the only time the radio or internet is unavailable for me today. Hope somebody can recap for me.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 04:26 PM
ghostface89

Hi Preds fans. Just wondering with this signing what your depth chart probably looks like.

Is this relatively accurate?

Dumont - Lombardi - Hornqvist
Sullivan - Legwand - Erat
**** Brother Jr - Wilson - Ward
Smithson - Goc - Tootoo

Suter-Weber
Klein-Bullion
Parent-..Franson?

ghostface89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 04:31 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface89 View Post
Hi Preds fans. Just wondering with this signing what your depth chart probably looks like.

Is this relatively accurate?

Dumont - Lombardi - Hornqvist
Sullivan - Legwand - Erat
**** Brother Jr - Wilson - Ward
Smithson - Goc - Tootoo

Suter-Weber
Klein-Bullion
Parent-..Franson?
That's how it looks to me. I think Tootoo and Andersson are fighting for a position on the roster. I don't think Kostitsyn and Wilson will be on the same line. Both are playmakers.

I think the centers are Lombardi then Wilson, then Legwand, Goc, and Smithson. The Wings will be mix and match as Trotz pulls his cards out the deck.

Old
08-24-2010, 04:33 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
That's how it looks to me. I think Tootoo and Andersson are fighting for a position on the roster.
I'd have Sullivan on the top line and some sort of combination of Lombardi, Wilson(who could play wing?) Legwand at center, but other then that it looks pretty solid, I'm feeling very confident with our depth at forward.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 04:41 PM
ghostface89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
I'd have Sullivan on the top line and some sort of combination of Lombardi, Wilson(who could play wing?) Legwand at center, but other then that it looks pretty solid, I'm feeling very confident with our depth at forward.
I agree. That THN article that put you guys at 10th is way too low. The only teams I'd definitely put ahead of Nashville are SJ, Chicago, Detroit, and Vancouver. I see no reason why Nashville shouldn't be fighting with LA, Colorado, and Phoenix, and St. Louis for the bottom 4 spots. Assuming Rinne can have a full, solid season... and who exactly is your backup?

ghostface89 is offline   Reply With Quote