HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sather: What more?

Closed Thread

Old
08-25-2010, 08:23 AM
dedalus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
If the "will" is such a strong truism, doesn't the "should" become a waste of time?
You're right of course. Shifting the ground from evaluative to the predictive is usually only a means of AVOIDING a conversation.

I'll be honest, nothing in this thread will be news. I only opened it because another poster insisted I do so if I was to get him to answer a question (the question which begins the thread). He refused to answer the question in the thread it originated, so ...

Anyway though, the conversation is the point. It's a waste of time for those who aren't interested.

Last edited by dedalus: 08-25-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old
08-25-2010, 08:32 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
OK so what will that be for Slats? Coach number 5 he will have canned? How many coaches do you need to go through before you realize the real problem?
You can't expect that Sather is going to admit that he's the problem. The only one who is going to hold Sather accountable is Dolan, and as long as the Rangers are pulling in revenue, he's not going to care one bit.

Sather is an idiot, but as long as Dolan is the man behind the curtain, it's always going to be more about the star power than it is about the team building.

Old
08-25-2010, 08:37 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
the context of my statement as orginally given was that all of the things that are currently active with this club: emphasis on drafting talent, bringing in young talent via, free agency, trades, etc., continuing to integrate youth in our active roster...

These are all things that I would want to see a GM do for the NYR right now. Regardless of Sather's mishaps from the past he's doing right (relatively speaking)
at the moment.
Couple of things...

1. Regardless of his mishaps? I don't think it's regardless. I think the reason Sather is doing "right" is BECAUSE of his mishaps. If he didn't put himself in a salary cap bind like he has then he would continue to hand out bad contracts. He's proven himself incapable of having any foresight towards building a hockey team and also being a terrible talent evaluator. Why should he get the benefit of a do-over after this mess is sorted out?

2. You say he's doing "right" and give the following reasons...
- Emphasis on drafting - In what way?
- Bringing in young talent via free agency - Who? The only person I can think of that you might be referring to is Aasen and the reason he apparently signed here is because he thinks the competition for playing time in the top 6 will be lite. That's not exactly something to hang your hat on as a GM of a club for the past 10 years.
- Bringing in young talent via trades - Again, who?
- Continuing to integrate young talent - oh, you mean like every single other organization that exists in this salary capped NHL?

Old
08-25-2010, 08:38 AM
NikC

The OP wasn't answered in the former thread because he dismissed points that were made. So instead of answering, he devised what he feels is this ingenious question based on something i wrote taken out of context.

i have since answered him in his own thread. he's ignored the response again...

*Read and respond to my brilliant posts, while I ignore everything you've written, and make assumptions about what you believe.

^ seems to be the MO on this board.

Old
08-25-2010, 08:44 AM
dedalus

Quote:
My opinion is that Sather should stay on to right the ship.
You've asserted elsewhere: "I never said patience was needed to turn around Sather’s tenure in NY."

But I don't see the difference between "Sather should stay on" and "patience."

I also don't see the difference between "right the ship" and "turn around [his] tenure."

When Bleed Ranger Blue said elsewhere that "its absolutely absurd to fool yourself into believing that 'patience' is whats going to turn around [Sather's] train wreck of a tenure here," you accused BRB of imposing his thoughts on you so he could "sound smart."

When you write above that "Sather should stay on to right the ship," you are saying exactly what Bleed Ranger Blue asserted.

Old
08-25-2010, 08:50 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
I wish a reporter would ask Sather "what have you learned about handling contracts over the last 10 years?"
One can only imagine how that would raise the old man's hackles.

"Sonny, I was dealing with contracts and budgets my whole life in Edmonton! I was a budget genius when you were a gleam in your daddy's pants ... or something ..."

Old
08-25-2010, 08:51 AM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
Couple of things...

1. Regardless of his mishaps? I don't think it's regardless. I think the reason Sather is doing "right" is BECAUSE of his mishaps. If he didn't put himself in a salary cap bind like he has then he would continue to hand out bad contracts. He's proven himself incapable of having any foresight towards building a hockey team and also being a terrible talent evaluator. Why should he get the benefit of a do-over after this mess is sorted out?

2. You say he's doing "right" and give the following reasons...
- Emphasis on drafting - In what way?
- Bringing in young talent via free agency - Who? The only person I can think of that you might be referring to is Aasen and the reason he apparently signed here is because he thinks the competition for playing time in the top 6 will be lite. That's not exactly something to hang your hat on as a GM of a club for the past 10 years.
- Bringing in young talent via trades - Again, who?
- Continuing to integrate young talent - oh, you mean like every single other organization that exists in this salary capped NHL?

well that’s your opinion which you qualify by saying: “ I think”. That doesn’t make what you
Say any more valid than what I’ve said. We’re not the only team that have struggled with the Cap.
What happened with the hawks is a tragedy imo. The market for high priced talent is high today.
We’re paying dearly because Drury,Redden, and Rosival aren’t giving us the production they’re being paid
For. Flyers fans were pretty upset about the Briere contract up until this past season.
The player that signs the contract must take some of the responsibility here as well.

2. Look at everything that Sather and NYR management are focusing on at the moment. I’m just reiterating
What they are saying. Can I prove to you that they’ll keep their word? No, but you can’t disprove it yet either.
Take a look at the moves this team has made via trade, UFA, integrating youth over the past 4 yrs. They haven’t been for over the hill 35+ players!

Old
08-25-2010, 08:53 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
One can only imagine how that would raise the old man's hackles.

"Sonny, I was dealing with contracts and budgets my whole life in Edmonton! I was a budget genius when you were a gleam in your daddy's pants ... or something ..."
You're right, that's exactly what Sather would be thinking, but it's worse than that. Sather would not deem the reporter worthy of his time, and would totally ignore him.

Old
08-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
well that’s your opinion which you qualify by saying: “ I think”. That doesn’t make what you
Say any more valid than what I’ve said. We’re not the only team that have struggled with the Cap.
What happened with the hawks is a tragedy imo. The market for high priced talent is high today.
We’re paying dearly because Drury,Redden, and Rosival aren’t giving us the production they’re being paid
For. Flyers fans were pretty upset about the Briere contract up until this past season.
The player that signs the contract must take some of the responsibility here as well.
The Blackhawks are a Stanley Cup champion who has salary cap problems. The Rangers are having salary cap problems while missing the playoffs. There is no comparison.

Quote:
Take a look at the moves this team has made via trade, UFA, integrating youth over the past 4 yrs. They haven’t been for over the hill 35+ players!
One signing in the last four years was for an over the hill 31 year old player who was signed for SIX years.

Last edited by Jersey Girl: 08-25-2010 at 09:02 AM.
Old
08-25-2010, 09:00 AM
dedalus

Quote:
The OP wasn't answered in the former thread because he dismissed points that were made.
Question:
"Given all of what you write about other teams likely using the same methods as Sather and given the fact that "there is no magic GM or formula that would miraculously turnaround this squad as currently configured," how should we approach an evaluation of Glen Sather? Should we throw his ass on the street tomorrow morning?"
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=826

Answer:
"start a new thread about evaluating Sather, I’m here to comment on the OP."
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=837

Make up your mind, dude. Did you refuse to answer because your points were dismissed? Or did you refuse to answer because you "here to comment on the OP"?

And just remember, you answered the OTHER questions posed in the thread. My presumed "dismissal" certainly didn't bother you there.

Old
08-25-2010, 09:03 AM
NikC

Quote:
You've asserted elsewhere: "I never said patience was needed to turn around Sather’s tenure in NY."

But I don't see the difference between "Sather should stay on" and "patience."

I also don't see the difference between "right the ship" and "turn around [his] tenure."

When Bleed Ranger Blue said elsewhere that "its absolutely absurd to fool yourself into believing that 'patience' is whats going to turn around [Sather's] train wreck of a tenure here," you accused BRB of imposing his thoughts on you so he could "sound smart."

When you write above that "Sather should stay on to right the ship," you are saying exactly what Bleed Ranger Blue asserted.
actually here's what i wrote in it's entirety. (that usually works when you quoute someone - if you don't want to come off disingenuous)

My opinion is that Sather should stay on to right the ship (Rid Redden, groom Messier, etc.) and retire within the next few years.

my opinion is that since he has improved, it would be best for him to stay on and try to correct his mistakes before he leaves/gets fired.
To me, it would serve no purpose. Besides Dolan will never fire this man. I've learned to live with this fact and make the best of it.

I've expressed myself to the best of my abilities in this and other threads regarding Sather. if you disagree fine. If you think i'm being hypocritical in any way, that's fine too.

Old
08-25-2010, 09:07 AM
dedalus

Quote:
well that’s your opinion which you qualify by saying: “ I think”. That doesn’t make what you say any more valid than what I’ve said.
He never claimed his assessment was more valid. He merely has a viewpoint that opposes your own, and he has stated the reasons why he feels as he does.

Old
08-25-2010, 09:09 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Who is the magic GM that the OP proposes and what will he do that isn't going
on right now? He doesn't say. He just wants SAther gone because of his past errors.
I want Sather gone so he can't make those same errors again.

Quote:
My opinion is that Sather should stay on to right the ship (Rid Redden, groom Messier, etc.) and retire within the next few years.
Why? What has he done to earn that right?

Old
08-25-2010, 09:11 AM
NikC

Quote:
He never claimed his assessment was more valid. He merely has a viewpoint that opposes your own, and he has stated the reasons why he feels as he does.
how many posters are you currently speaking for right now?

Old
08-25-2010, 09:16 AM
NikC

Quote:
Question:
"Given all of what you write about other teams likely using the same methods as Sather and given the fact that "there is no magic GM or formula that would miraculously turnaround this squad as currently configured," how should we approach an evaluation of Glen Sather? Should we throw his ass on the street tomorrow morning?"
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=826

Answer:
"start a new thread about evaluating Sather, I’m here to comment on the OP."
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=837

Make up your mind, dude. Did you refuse to answer because your points were dismissed? Or did you refuse to answer because you "here to comment on the OP"?

And just remember, you answered the OTHER questions posed in the thread. My presumed "dismissal" certainly didn't bother you there.
check out what i wrote in it's entirety in this thread:

i have since answered him in his own thread. he's ignored the response again...

I told you that i would answer this earth-shattering question of yours in it's own thread. I did. (#34, #37) You ignored it up until now, because you're being called out about it.

Why make an issue out me supposedly avoiding this question of yours, if you’re only going to ignore my response?

We’re not in agreement here, but you seem to be pressing for something else...

Let me know what you’re trying to accomplish here?

Old
08-25-2010, 09:17 AM
dedalus

Quote:
actually here's what i wrote in it's entirety ... My opinion is that Sather should stay on to right the ship (Rid Redden, groom Messier, etc.) and retire within the next few years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC
I never said patience was needed to turn around Sather’s tenure in NY. Do you usually insert your thoughts into other peoples posts and in order to sound smart when you reply?
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=796

I don't think you're a hypocrite. I think you have a pair of contradictory statements, and you refuse to admit you've contradicted yourself.

Old
08-25-2010, 09:24 AM
NikC

Quote:
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=796

I don't think you're a hypocrite. I think you have a pair of contradictory statements, and you refuse to admit you've contradicted yourself.
You honestly don’t see a difference in: Righting the ship and turning around a Tenure?

I’ll do me best to explain MY THOUGHTS.

By righting the ship: I feel he can stop making past mistakes, make some good signings/trades and try to eradicate bad contracts

Turning around a Tenure would mean (to me) doing so much good that his past mistakes would be overshadowed, to the point
Of being forgotten. I don’t think that is possible.

That’s the best I can do. If you think they contradict. Oh well.

Old
08-25-2010, 09:29 AM
dedalus

Quote:
how many posters are you currently speaking for right now?
Only myself, and if you can quote Vito saying his opinion is more valid than yours, I will be happy to read that quote.

Quote:
I told you that i would answer this earth-shattering question of yours in it's own thread. I did. (#34, #37) You ignored it up until now, because you're being called out about it.
Sorry, friend. Had I been here at 8:15 last night when you posted those, I would gladly have done' to you then exactly what I'm doing to you now.

Quote:
Why make an issue out me supposedly avoiding this question of yours
That was not my first choice. You said I had to openb a new thread to get an answer from you. If it seems I'm "making an issue" of this, blame yourself. You might just as easily have written what you wrote here in an earlier thread.

Now that you have the game you wanted to play, let's not complain about it, shall we? That really IS hypocritical.

Quote:
you’re only going to ignore my response?
Am I ignoring your responses, NikC?

Quote:
Let me know what you’re trying to accomplish here?
I'm trying to get your thoughts on Sather.

Once I had those, I showed how you were wrong to accuse Bleed Ranger Blue as you did.

Old
08-25-2010, 09:33 AM
terrrrrible

You can't teach an old dog new tricks. Keep Sather around until Drury/Rozsival/Redden's contracts are up, then get someone else in there so he doesn't blow it all on one player.

Old
08-25-2010, 09:33 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
my opinion is that since he has improved, it would be best for him to stay on and try to correct his mistakes before he leaves/gets fired.
Last year, Sather gave Kotalik 3 years/9 mil. Kotalik didn't last the year and he was lucky that Sutter is an even bigger idiot. He gave Brashear 2 years/2.8 mil and he didn't last the year. Again, Sather was lucky to be able to get rid of him.

This year he gave Boogaard a ridiculous 4 years/6.5 mil.

In exactly what area do you think he's improved?

The only reason he's made less/smaller mistakes in the last couple years is because he's had less cap space to work with. But he's still making the same types of mistakes. How do you not see that?

You've said that a new GM would be doing the exact same things as Sather is doing right now. So, if that's the case, then why would it be best if Sather stays on to correct his mistakes and then retires? Wouldn't it be better to get rid of him now, let the new GM get his feet wet by doing what Sather would have done anyway, and then be more prepared in 2 years when we have some cap space?

Your 2 assertions are logical opposites. If a new GM would do the same things Sather is doing, then keeping Sather can't possibly be the best course of action.

Old
08-25-2010, 09:38 AM
NikC

Quote:
Sorry, friend. Had I been here at 8:15 last night when you posted those, I would gladly have done' to you then exactly what I'm doing to you now.
Lol, what do you think you are “doing to me”? Get over yourself and your opinions.

Quote:
Once I had those, I showed how you were wrong to accuse Bleed Ranger Blue as you did.
Now that you have the game you wanted to play, let's not complain about it, shall we? That really IS hypocritical.
The game I wanted to play was to stick to the OP, not participate in a “honk if you hate sather” thread.

Quote:
Explanation to the best of my abilities in #67.

Old
08-25-2010, 09:42 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrrrrible View Post
You can't teach an old dog new tricks. Keep Sather around until Drury/Rozsival/Redden's contracts are up, then get someone else in there so he doesn't blow it all on one player.
But why keep Sather around until then if we agree his old dog tricks don't work anymore? Time to bring in a new dog now.

Old
08-25-2010, 09:44 AM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Last year, Sather gave Kotalik 3 years/9 mil. Kotalik didn't last the year and he was lucky that Sutter is an even bigger idiot. He gave Brashear 2 years/2.8 mil and he didn't last the year. Again, Sather was lucky to be able to get rid of him.

This year he gave Boogaard a ridiculous 4 years/6.5 mil.

In exactly what area do you think he's improved?

The only reason he's made less/smaller mistakes in the last couple years is because he's had less cap space to work with. But he's still making the same types of mistakes. How do you not see that?

You've said that a new GM would be doing the exact same things as Sather is doing right now. So, if that's the case, then why would it be best if Sather stays on to correct his mistakes and then retires? Wouldn't it be better to get rid of him now, let the new GM get his feet wet by doing what Sather would have done anyway, and then be more prepared in 2 years when we have some cap space?

Your 2 assertions are logical opposites. If a new GM would do the same things Sather is doing, then keeping Sather can't possibly be the best course of action.

My 2 assertions are logical opposites to you only because you define his moves as “mistakes”.

The Kotalik signing on paper was a good move. He is a perennial 20g scorer and is PP threat, not to
Mention chemistry with the Captain. It’s only a mistake to you because you have the benefit of seeing it in retrospect.
No it didn’t work out, but we wouldn’t be the first team to have a player not fit in. Should we stop signing UFAs?
Is that what the “new’ GM should do? Will he know ahead of time if a player will work out or not? Will he have crystal ball
Like you do?

You define the Boogaard contract as a “mistake”. It’s an overpayment, to me but not a mistake. I like the signing.

Old
08-25-2010, 09:44 AM
dedalus

Quote:
You honestly don’t see a difference in: Righting the ship and turning around a Tenure?
You honestly claim there is a difference? Let's look.

Quote:
By righting the ship: I feel he can stop making past mistakes, make some good signings/trades and try to eradicate bad contracts
That definition doesn't jibe with your original statement: "Sather should stay on to right the ship."

In the "impressive" thread, you have said that Sather has already made good signings and trades and that he is not making the same mistakes he has in the past. That is something that is happening in the present.

"Should stay on to right the ship" points to a future event. "To" in your sentence meaning "in order that."

These are two contradictory statements. By the definition you offer above, Sather has already "righted the ship" because he no longer engages in bad practice. Yet in your intial statement, "righting the ship" was something that would happen in the future.

Quote:
If you think they contradict, oh well.
Sorry friend, they do contradict.

Old
08-25-2010, 09:49 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Lol, what do you think you are “doing to me”? Get over yourself and your opinions.
Revealing the contradictions in your own language isn't amatter of opinion, NikC. It's only a matter of looking at your statements.

Quote:
The game I wanted to play was to stick to the OP, not participate in a “honk if you hate sather” thread.
That's hardly credible when you ranged from the OP so frequently and when you answered my other questions.

Quote:
Explanation to the best of my abilities in #67.
Yep. Revealing the contradictions in your own language isn't amatter of opinion, NikC. It's only a matter of looking at your statements.

And since you've not quoted him, I assume your silence is your admission that Vito was not claiming to offer a more valid opinion than yours.

Closed Thread