HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Sign Lee Stempniak

Old
08-21-2010, 11:08 PM
Oakstream
Let's go Buffalo!

vCash: 500
Give Stafford away to anyone. Then use his 2,5 million to Sign Lee. Move Vanek to RW, and our top six could look like:

Stempniak-Roy-Vanek
Ennis-Connolly-Pominville.

I would sign him. I had hopes for it earlier but none now..

Oakstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 11:19 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

1 year, 3-3.5 million.

It can't hurt. It's only one year. It won't screw up our cap. I don't get why it wouldn't be a good move.

Timbo Slice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 11:54 PM
Better Call Saul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
1 year, 3-3.5 million.

It can't hurt. It's only one year. It won't screw up our cap. I don't get why it wouldn't be a good move.
Why would you pay a player who is the epitome of average upward of $3 million when he's been on the market for nearly two full months and still can't find a job? Cut that down to $1.5 mill and even then I probably wouldn't be interested.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 01:18 AM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

What is with this obsession with players from the area? Should we go after Kane, Orpik, and Callahan too? (Actually I'd love to have all 3 of those on our team, but that's not the point)

I don't think Stempniak would help us. He's too inconsistent, and we don't have a single player who is consistent from game 1 to 82 and so on besides Miller (and maybe Myers, though I didn't care much for his playoff performance).

Stempniak is just as inconsistent as Stafford, replacing Staff with Stemp in the line-up wouldn't help us at all. At least Stafford still has some potential to be a skilled power forward, the only difference Stemp would make with his upside is a few more goals, he doesn't bring much more to his game.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 06:20 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Merged.

08-22-2010, 06:28 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Still not in favor, especially at the dollar figures a few have thrown around in the latest incarnation of this thread. Since he's productive in contract years, the 1-year idea is appealing if they were to move that way. I don't think they've found someone to take Stafford's salary and they're not going to make a signing for even the $1.8ish million league average without clearing that. Even then, Stempniak is not bigger, faster, more aggressive and is only slightly more productive than Stafford and that only in contract seasons. I still don't see the upgrade.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 09:56 AM
Tra La La

Nah, Darcy stated they were well over budget. There just can't be any money left to sign anyone.

Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 10:10 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by vile21 View Post
He's from Buffalo
Irrelevant.

Quote:
He's cheap
According to who? There have not been any reported offers made to, or rejected by, him.

Quote:
He can put up 20 goals
"Can" being the operative word - which is very distinct from "will". The Sabres would argue that the same is true of Stafford.

Quote:
He can play as a second line winger
See above.

Quote:
He had a solid stretch with Phoenix, and they have a similar style to ours.
See below - he also had 14 goals in 62 games in Toronto, a team that tried to play a more wide open style. And his "solid stretch" in Phoenix ended with the regular season - he produced zip in 7 playoff games, when his team needed him most.

Quote:
Sounds like a good deal to me....So why not?
SPECTOR'S NOTE: If Stempniak were a consistent 25-30 goal scorer he'd have been signed by now. The fact he scored half of his 28 goals in the final 18 games of the season with the Phoenix Coyotes and 62 games with the Toronto Maple Leafs to score 14 has teams leery about his consistency.

http://www.spectorshockey.net/index....umors&Itemid=4

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
I could see it play out like this:

Vanek-Roy-Ennis
Stempniak-Connoly-Pomminville
Stafford- Hecht-Grier
Mccormick-Gaustad-Kaleta

Except I really want to Waive stafford to make room for younger players
1. Stempniak is a right-handed shot, and plays RW - not LW.

2. You must not have watched the Sabres since 2007 if you think putting Hecht into a center's position makes any sense. Every time that he's been used there, his play takes a nosedive. It's like night and day compared to his play on the wing.

3. Breaking up the most consistent trio (H-C-P) is ridiculous.

Old
08-22-2010, 10:20 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real View Post
No, it was Stempniak.
Lee Stempniak is believed to still be in contact with the Phoenix Coyotes and several weeks ago told The Buffalo News if the Sabres called he’d be willing to listen. So far it appears the Sabres aren’t making any further plans to dip into the free-agent market.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/n...up-soon-080210

Old
08-22-2010, 10:25 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2189 View Post
What is with this obsession with players from the area? Should we go after Kane, Orpik, and Callahan too? (Actually I'd love to have all 3 of those on our team, but that's not the point)
Callahan is EXACTLY the kind of player that could turn this franchise around, in terms of redefining the culture the team should strive for: tireless work ethic, passionate play, solid defensively, exciting hitter and good offensive instincts. He'd be as ideal a role model for the rest of his teammates as there gets.

Odds are slim he'll ever become available but, then again, Sather is the same 'genius' that signed Redden and Kotalik with NTC clauses and traded for gems like Jokinen...

Old
08-22-2010, 11:44 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

I find it amusing people are willing to throw away Stafford and sign Stempniak, sometimes for even more money. How is Stempniak any better of a player at this point? All that move does is raise our salary numbers.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 09:40 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
SPORTINGNEWS.COM: Craig Custance reports Atlanta Thrashers GM Rick Dudley will turn his attention toward re-signing RFA Niclas Bergfors and hasn't ruled out adding a UFA forward, confirming he'd touched base with winger Lee Stempniak. Dudley also seemed content leaving openings for younger players like Patrice Cormier and Alexander Burmistrov.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Stempniak is reportedly seeking more than a one-year deal but apparently he's having difficulty finding teams willing to offer up more than a one-season contract.
http://www.spectorshockey.net/index....umors&Itemid=4