HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Four Faces of the NYR.

Old
08-25-2010, 09:45 AM
ogie

vCash: 500
The Four Faces of the NYR.

Not sure how many of you read Puckdaddy blog on yahoo. For me it is a time killer while the summer slowly grinds down till hockey.

So they have been doing a running article Mount Puckmore. So the four players/coaches/GM's that represent a franchise.

So Here is the NYR one.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-264950

Messier, Leetch, Boucher and Jagr!

*** Jagr?!?!?!

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 09:49 AM
FOXHOUND*

Lester Patrick should have been there instead of Jagr...or John tortorella

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 09:51 AM
MSG the place to be*

Jagr shouldnt even crack the top 25, at the very least. For the purposes of the list, Sather is probably ahead of Jagr.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 09:53 AM
FOXHOUND*

Or even Gilbert should have been there ahead of him! Jagr was great for the team and a great ranger when he was here, but there are plenty more deserving.

Old
08-25-2010, 10:03 AM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Disappointing. I had been looking forward to the Rangers article in this series. Including Jagr on the list, especially for an Original Six team, is incredibly shortsighted. He probably wanted to avoid Richter and Graves so as not to stack the list with guys from the '94 team. He should have went with one of the older Rangers like Gilbert or Giacomin. Even Sather would have been a better choice.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 10:05 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Richter should be ahead of Jagr, too.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 10:06 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

I love Jagr, but I'd have put someone else instead... Greschner, Patrick, Gilbert, Park, Graves etc...

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 10:08 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Just about anyone on the GAG line would've been better than Jagr. I would have Ratelle or Gilbert instead personally.

I Eat Crow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 10:13 AM
Levitate

This is because Blueshirt Banter sucks

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 10:15 AM
ruckus*

I think Jagr was just to make some sort of connection to something in the past decade.

Who cares what the guy from Blueshirt Banter says, everyone would have differing opinions on something like this.

Besides, Jagr is boss.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 10:29 AM
terrrrrible

For my age I can't say much for players previous the '94 team, so mine would be Messier/Graves/Leetch/Richter, hah.

When I think of Jagr, I don't think of him as a Ranger, but as Lemieux's sidekick. Definitely wouldn't be for putting a rival team's player up there. Why would anyone want to remember anything of the Rangers from the last decade? It's been terrible, so yeah, you might as well throw Sather's mug up there as a reminder.

terrrrrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 10:41 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
This is because Blueshirt Banter sucks
Thanks for adding so much to the conversation. Banter is a fantastic and the best part is post like yours would be deleted. I think Rod Gilbert should be on there for face value alone.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 10:41 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

On one hand, Jagr was easily one of our best players over the last 10 years, and due to his talent very recognizable. On the other, as a Ranger i'd rather see someone like Graves, Giacomin, or even someone like Lundqvist in the spot. It should be someone who sticks out as a Ranger, not just as a good player.

I'd even be for putting Sather up there- he sure is a big part of who we are now .

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 10:48 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I didnt even bother to waste my time reading the piece after seeing the collection of faces on there.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 10:54 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrrrrible View Post
For my age I can't say much for players previous the '94 team, so mine would be Messier/Graves/Leetch/Richter, hah.

When I think of Jagr, I don't think of him as a Ranger, but as Lemieux's sidekick. Definitely wouldn't be for putting a rival team's player up there. Why would anyone want to remember anything of the Rangers from the last decade? It's been terrible, so yeah, you might as well throw Sather's mug up there as a reminder.
Wait, so you can't say much about things pre-94 but you look at Jagr as Penguin?

I'm not sure I get that.

Not to mention he finally put an end to our years of desolation. Whether that's irrelevant to some people because we never won a Cup is one thing, but I think it meant a lot to a lot of us who had been suffering for almost a decade.

Team record 54 goals for a franchise that's been around since 1926. 123 points. That's not something to scoff at.

I'm not arguing he should be on this list, but I think most Rangers fans should be able to look at Jagr as a Ranger.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 10:57 AM
FultonReed
ew, you did what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
On one hand, Jagr was easily one of our best players over the last 10 years, and due to his talent very recognizable.

exactly. i'm not saying i agree with putting Jagr up there, but i understand that he's up there for what he did in recent years for this team. the playoff trips, etc. but i wholeheartedly agree that Richter, Graves, Giacomin, Gilbert, Park...any one of those guys should be up there. we have a 90 year history, for god sakes...

FultonReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 11:17 AM
Banks3rdLineCenter

I would have put Sather in Jagr's place. Sather more completely represents the past decade and Jagr's role in the post-lockout turnaround could have still been acknowledged. It would have painted a more complete picture, IMO.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 11:26 AM
terrrrrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
Wait, so you can't say much about things pre-94 but you look at Jagr as Penguin?
6 seasons after '94 is still more than the 4 he played as a Ranger. I do respect and acknowledge what he did for the team when playing here though. I just don't think I'd pick him to be a face of the team, if you're picking him / trying to represent the last decade as the "4th face."

terrrrrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 11:29 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

The downplaying of what Jagr did here is a little disgusting.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 11:40 AM
FultonReed
ew, you did what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banks3rdLineCenter View Post
I would have put Sather in Jagr's place. Sather more completely represents the past decade and Jagr's role in the post-lockout turnaround could have still been acknowledged. It would have painted a more complete picture, IMO.
completely agree. although, i don't like Sather much...i'd have rather seen Giacomin or Gilbert up there

FultonReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 11:42 AM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
The downplaying of what Jagr did here is a little disgusting.
The downplaying of what Gilbert, Richter, Patrick did is even more disgusting

Old
08-25-2010, 11:45 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

People....come on....

HEN - RIK ! !

If anyone should get credit for anything significant for the Rangers in the new era/last decade....

I say Messier, Leetch, Boucher, and Richter/Hank would be the 4 all time reps?

Complete and total no offense to whichever goalie stuck with the honorable mention.

Jagr? No. He represented the best to ever obviously try and not try while wearing a blueshirt.
(Not downplaying what he did, but only he stopped himself from not doing more and it was totally obvious. Example-Penguins series)

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 11:48 AM
ogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
The downplaying of what Gilbert, Richter, Patrick did is even more disgusting
I wasn't alive for the GAG line days, but if you read about them or just look at the stats these guys were true rangers. And put up big numbers. Gilbert played his entire career as a ranger, Ratelle and Hadfield had at least 12 years as Rangers.

But instead they have Jagr, who played three years.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 11:51 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post

I'm not sure I get that.

Not to mention he finally put an end to our years of desolation. Whether that's irrelevant to some people because we never won a Cup is one thing, but I think it meant a lot to a lot of us who had been suffering for almost a decade.

Team record 54 goals for a franchise that's been around since 1926. 123 points. That's not something to scoff at.

I'm not arguing he should be on this list, but I think most Rangers fans should be able to look at Jagr as a Ranger.
LOL Thanks to video tape, age no longer means ignorance, but good call on the logic.

I was going to sell my Jagr blueshirt, but I agree with you and in two years when he's done, I'll rememeber what he did for us and be glad I kept my shirt.
It was Henrik that ended our playoff drought...and he's still the only consistant hope we have had around here. Shame on the author and any other who thinks otherwise. (No, not saying he's more deserving of the Mount spot than Richter, but he is most definitely the face of the Rangers.)

Last edited by CHGoalie27: 08-25-2010 at 11:57 AM.
CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 12:11 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
I wasn't alive for the GAG line days, but if you read about them or just look at the stats these guys were true rangers. And put up big numbers. Gilbert played his entire career as a ranger, Ratelle and Hadfield had at least 12 years as Rangers.

But instead they have Jagr, who played three years.
Hell, Gilbert is the all time leader in points and goals for the franchise!