HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eklund says Flames want Dubi bad

Old
08-24-2010, 03:13 PM
94now

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
it isnt a demotion per se.

it is a realization however that his best position is on the edg.....er.. wing

dubi just isnt a top 6 nhl pivot between the ears.
Moving someone to easier job is a definition of demotion.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 03:20 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
It's a different position.

If that were the case, teams would just stack up on Centers and turn them all into wingers.

Again, you find the right fits.

Graves was "demoted" to the wings and made his career there.

Gordie Howe made his living in an "easier" position.

Gotta give you credit though, you're an interesting cat. Can't say I agree with you very much, but you are entertaining.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 03:20 PM
Blueblood 2

Philly is a much better trading partner. They want that Kiiper goalie guy.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 03:22 PM
TreeSapLlama

While I am not against trading Dubinsky without first hearing the offer, I would not trade him for Regehr. Unfortunately I get to watch the Flames more then any other NHL team due to proximity, and Regehr did not play well last season. That isn't to say he can't rebound and get back to form, but I wouldn't want to trade Dubinsky for a player we hope to return to form. Acquiring defenseman that we hope will turn around their recent play is not a strong suit of the Rangers (see: Redden, Wade).

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 03:36 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Not really. When I think of demotion, I think of:

- "Your being demoted from the NHL to the AHL." or
- "Your being demoted from PFC to Private.

It's more like a loss of status (Or punishment) because of doing something wrong or not well. I've never heard it said that a player was demoted from center to the wing.

UAGoalieGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 04:02 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Literally only for Iginla.
Same here.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 04:06 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
You should add "you are not fired, you know..." to it and you will make a perfect manager comforting demoted employee.

Quote:
If that were the case, teams would just stack up on Centers and turn them all into wingers.
All teams do just that, see the draft stats as a proof. Not enough centre talent, plus snipers are the wingers already in juniors. Scoring centers like Messier are gems.

Quote:

Snipers are excluded, as I said.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 04:39 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:

Again, you find the right fits.

Gotta give you credit though, you're an interesting cat. Can't say I agree with you very much, but you are entertaining.
It depends on the situation. One could easily say that the Rangers need a quality top 2 center more than anything else. To say to Dubinsky, "you are not good enough to be that center even though that's the position you were attempting to play, so we are moving you to a position that you can handle." If you believe that's what they said in so many words, then it's reasonable to view it as a demotion.

I don't know that I'd call it a demotion. It's hockey. You find combination's that make sense. One season Dubi may not be the ideal center given the other choices for a particular set of wingers (including him). Next season he may fit the best. 1st line to 3rd or 4th line, I think you can call a demotion. But shifting around centers and wingers on the top 2 lines to find the right chemistry on a team lacking in depth and diverse skill sets, it's WAY nitpicky to call a demotion.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 07:29 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I don't see how you can call being moved from center to wing a "demotion" when Dubi's game is much better suited for wing and it has shown. That's not a demotion at all.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 08:00 PM
Edge

Quote:
You should add "you are not fired, you know..." to it and you will make a perfect manager comforting demoted employee.
Well that depends, am I firing someone or changing their assignment?

Quote:
All teams do just that, see the draft stats as a proof. Not enough centre talent, plus snipers are the wingers already in juniors. Scoring centers like Messier are gems.
You are correct, a lot of centers do convert to wingers. But that's not a demotion. A demotion is being kicked down a line or being sent to a lower league. It's not changing positions.

If you think it is, you're going to have a very interesting career in front of you.

Quote:
Snipers are excluded, as I said.
So what constitutes a sniper? Both of those guys would be considered power forwards?

What criteria are you using?

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 12:34 PM
NYRCC

i have a hard time believing dubi is going anywhere for a very long time. if we didn't move him for heater, we aren't moving him to calgary for a bunch of futures and what-ifs. We've all heard the dubi to calgary rumors before. I don't doubt that calgary would love to add him to their roster but I just don't think he's available. maybe i'd consider nemisz or backlund but does that really solve any of our problems? right now, we're a better team with dubi than without him.

NYRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 02:15 PM
haveandare

Nobody on that team is worth Dubi at this point.

haveandare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 02:25 PM
NikC

not even Inginla?

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 02:40 PM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
not even Inginla?
I'd say no. Only because of age.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 03:14 PM
TreeSapLlama

There is only one way I would give up Dubinsky, and that is if they take Drury too...then we have plenty of cap space for Kovalchuk.

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 04:54 PM
HockeyBurd*

As much as Sather may have been willing to mortgage the future for declining "star" players in the past, as of late that would seem out of character for him (with the occasional exception like Derek Morris). So I'd be surprised to see a boneheaded move like Dubinsky for Iginla (forget about the fact that it makes no sense at all).

Old
08-25-2010, 07:00 PM
frankthefrowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
As much as Sather may have been willing to mortgage the future for declining "star" players in the past, as of late that would seem out of character for him (with the occasional exception like Derek Morris). So I'd be surprised to see a boneheaded move like Dubinsky for Iginla (forget about the fact that it makes no sense at all).
Lol wait, how did he mortgage the future for derek morris?

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 07:13 PM
pwoz

- Calgary Flames General Manager, Darryl Sutter, announced tonight that the Flames have traded winger Ales Kotalik to the Calgary Flames in exchange for former Calgary defenseman Ian White.

When asked about the move, Sutter said that he was excited about bringing White onto the team, and that he wishes Kotalik well with his new club, but is not sad to see him go. "Frankly, the fan pressure to trade Ales is what made this trade necessary. Also, by getting Ian White, we save a whole five dollars! That's almost a whole sandwich!"

None of the other thirty NHL GMs commented on the move, preferring to snicker quietly in their offices, though one GM, who asked not to be named, did say that he was surprised by the move, though coming from Sutter it should not have been totally unexpected. "He probably thinks the guy who made that trade with him is a complete sucker right now."

pwoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 07:17 PM
satrabyk

There is not 1 player on the flames worth trading for. The only player is now on the Leafs, Dion Phaneuf. Saying that the only option the Flames have is to do something like Dubi and Drury/Redden for Igy and Backlund or #1 draft pick. If u want a guy like Dubi who would probably play very well in calgary u have to pay.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 07:18 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
Lol wait, how did he mortgage the future for derek morris?
*sigh* I guess I'll have to go through the motions.... he didn't. If it were a transaction that was part of a larger pattern, you could say that he was. That's the entire point.

Old
08-25-2010, 07:33 PM
EmDeeZee4MVP

If the Rangers were open to trading Dubi they would have traded him last off-season for Heatley. He isn't going anywhere; they consider him a core part of their future.

EmDeeZee4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 07:34 PM
bscharf

apparently every team is interested in dubi but every time a rumor comes up about him nothing happens.

Time to accept hes a ranger for the year.

bscharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 09:41 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
Not terrible, but I could see this coming back to bite us in the ass in a huge way. Dubi goes on to be a 60-70 point player for the next 10 years and Iginla scores 60 points for 2-3 years, then drops off and retires as his body breaks down. I would've liked Iginla 5 years ago. Not for Dubi right now.

I really love Dubi's game and you can SEE his potential. It's there. He needs to take the next step and I'm confident that he will. There aren't many players on the FLAMES that would make me change my mind.

The Flames would certainly have to take back more salary than just Dubi if Iginla were going the other way.

How about...

Iginla, Regehr, Staios, 3rd 2011 for Dubi, Avery, Girardi, Redden, 1st 2011

Send Gilroy to Hartford

Frolov Christensen Gaborik
Iginla Prospal MZA
Drury Anisimov Callahan
Prust Boyle Boogard
Grachev
Weise

Staal Rozsival
Del Zotto Regehr
McDonagh Staios
Eminger

Lundqvist
Biron

LOVE the look of this team! Wow. We're suddenly bigger, stronger, and much more skilled up front and much more well-rounded on defense. And the trade proposal, while unLIKELY is actually quite fair value-wise and makes sense for both teams. Well, I doubt Calgary would trade Regehr and Iginla in the same package without getting an elite talent in return, but maybe they see Girardi as a younger poor man's version with potential, and maybe we add another prospect or pick somewhere. Do they want Dubi this bad? Haha, Thoughts?
Now explain to the group that if you were a Flames fan, why you would be excited by your proposal.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 09:57 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

The only Flame I would have considered trading Dubinsky for was Phaneuf and it's too late for that.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 10:05 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Now explain to the group that if you were a Flames fan, why you would be excited by your proposal.
Pound for pound, it's the flames getting younger and the potential for a relatively decent 1st round pick.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote