HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Markov Status

Old
08-25-2010, 02:48 PM
saints96

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
How is this news?
its the off season... if markov were to step on a spider and a reporter would be there, it would make news in mtl.

saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 03:18 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saints96 View Post
its the off season... if markov were to step on a spider and a reporter would be there, it would make news in mtl.
Well it would be newsworthy because more than likely it would bite him and then he'd lose his balance and sprain a wrist while breaking his fall.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 03:19 PM
saints96

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Well it would be newsworthy because more than likely it would bite him and then he'd lose his balance and sprain a wrist while breaking his fall.
maybe markov shouldnt walk outside like carey shouldnt ride horses.. all the habs players should just stay inside and do nothing until training camp.

Old
08-25-2010, 03:22 PM
SeriousFan09

Well hey, how about this? Since males 25 and under are the most likely to have car accidents, all players 25 and under shall be forbidden from driving cars as members of the Canadiens and will use the bus, wearing those quarantine suits you see those CDC guys wearing on TV shows.

SeriousFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 03:24 PM
saints96

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousFan09 View Post
Well hey, how about this? Since males 25 and under are the most likely to have car accidents, all players 25 and under shall be forbidden from driving cars as members of the Canadiens and will use the bus.
they cant take the bus , cuz then you know, there might be a crazy person on the bus who'd might spot one of them and and harrass them and and maybe hurt them.....

edit : unless the player(s) are in a bubble then your idea is fine

Old
08-25-2010, 03:29 PM
NewHabsEra*

As I said in another thread, Markov will have to have a big season and solid playoffs cause I dont think his future with the Habs is guarenteed.. Its time we can rely on him in playoffs.

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 03:31 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
maybe markov shouldnt walk outside like carey shouldnt ride horses.. all the habs players should just stay inside and do nothing until training camp.
Well of all the bugs in the world you picked a spider - killing them indoors or out means bad luck. So IMO Markov killing a spider is not good.

Old
08-25-2010, 03:33 PM
saints96

Quote:
Well of all the bugs in the world you picked a spider - killing them indoors or out means bad luck. So IMO Markov killing a spider is not good.

oh nooo.. does that mean he wont sign with us next season??

Old
08-25-2010, 04:22 PM
DirtyJeeves

Send a message via AIM to DirtyJeeves
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
If they signed him to an extension today, his cap hit starting next year would only kick in on July 1st and would have no impact on this year's cap.
I understand that and thought I made that clear, sorry.

I was going off of this, which I may be misreading:

Quote:
Extensions may be negotiated but only in the final year of the contract and only if such extension is for an amount that can be accommodated in a Club's upper limit for the current year or as computed for future years.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26366
I read that as the new salary must "fit" under the cap.

Ex:

Markov '10-'11: $5.75m cap hit
Habs cap space: $2 million
Markov Extension: No more than $7.75m per if agreed to during the season.

I openly admit that I could be completely off on that, however.

DirtyJeeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 04:45 PM
shamrun

markov agent just said on team 990 that markov injury might not take as long to heal. might be back for the beginning of the season. Not sure how much stock we should put on this until camp starts.

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 06:14 PM
DumFries

30 million, 6 million per, five year contract. That would be nice. However, I expect him to ask roughly between 6.5-7.

DumFries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 06:18 PM
Gustave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
How is this news?
Regular journalists coming back from vacation + Quite possibly the most uneventful summer in Habs history + Starved fans for any news whatsoever = This ****.

But the Guy Lafleur contract negotiations over ambassador status takes the cake. THAT I don't give a ****.

Gustave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 06:34 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
You're surprised there hasn't been a thread on a player's negotiations not starting a year early? Okay! LOL

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 06:39 PM
Bekbe

no chance Markov will ask for upper 6.5 per year

He already had a chance to ask for sky and he didnt do it, he sign a fair contract with montreal, I expect the same, fair contract to stay......my bet is between 5 and 6 so about the same he already have

Bekbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 06:42 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumFries View Post
30 million, 6 million per, five year contract. That would be nice. However, I expect him to ask roughly between 6.5-7.
Markov won't get Thorton / Marleau money. He's a little older than some of the other big money defencemen contracts that have been handed out. He'll get $5-6m for less than 5 years. If he signs longer, his cap hit will even be lower.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 06:49 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Part of me believes he will sign for roughly the same amount as he did last contract. Something strikes me as him being that kind of guy

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 09:49 PM
the vinyl version

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
I want to keep Markov.

But why would it be different than before?

When was the last time a contract was signed before the last summer?
Koivu in 2004? (not sure)
Didn't Markov sign his current contract during a season?

the vinyl version is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 09:55 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Are you implying he stepped on a spider and no reporter was there?

Quick, get CKAC on the phone. There's a rumor that needs to be verified.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 10:39 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
no chance Markov will ask for upper 6.5 per year

He already had a chance to ask for sky and he didnt do it, he sign a fair contract with montreal, I expect the same, fair contract to stay......my bet is between 5 and 6 so about the same he already have
Only this contract is his last salute in a way I am thinking. Can we make this guy captain already? Habs for life, come on. Best player we had since Roy.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 10:52 PM
Horatio Caine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
Only this contract is his last salute in a way I am thinking. Can we make this guy captain already? Habs for life, come on. Best player we had since Roy.
I was coming to post this.

He's maybe one of the best player in the entire league to show Subban how to be consistent as a defender and at the top of your game night in and night out. I think the influence of Markov on the ice is overlooked ; he has been a force in this league creating space for his teammate, while being a solid defender. His creativity can only help guys like Subban to learn more and more..

The impact of Markov on this team is too important. He's shown flashes of leadership off the ice (begin to talk to the media and the «Price incident»). I'm not sure he's the right guy to be name captain, but he's one hell of a loyal player.

Markov will sign, it's a matter of time. I don't really care about the time or the money; I trust Gauthier on that. He has shown that he can handle tough situations (Plekanec and Halak particulary). He will do the right thing.

We, as fan, and Gauthier, shouldn't give that much of importance about his injuries ; they were accidents, he's not injury prone.

Horatio Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 06:11 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio Caine View Post
I was coming to post this.

He's maybe one of the best player in the entire league to show Subban how to be consistent as a defender and at the top of your game night in and night out. I think the influence of Markov on the ice is overlooked ; he has been a force in this league creating space for his teammate, while being a solid defender. His creativity can only help guys like Subban to learn more and more..

The impact of Markov on this team is too important. He's shown flashes of leadership off the ice (begin to talk to the media and the «Price incident»). I'm not sure he's the right guy to be name captain, but he's one hell of a loyal player.

Markov will sign, it's a matter of time. I don't really care about the time or the money; I trust Gauthier on that. He has shown that he can handle tough situations (Plekanec and Halak particulary). He will do the right thing.

We, as fan, and Gauthier, shouldn't give that much of importance about his injuries ; they were accidents, he's not injury prone.
The cut was an accident although Markov didn't look like a top five d-man on that play.

But since when are body checks accidents? He's been injured on three different ones in a year missing substantial time on two of them. And had the timing not been at the close of the season he would have missed a lot more games than he has - he's been saved by two summers of rehab.

He's gotta find a way to stay on the ice for crucial games IMO otherwise he isn't worth 6, 5 mil.

Old
08-26-2010, 07:52 AM
zzoo

This morning, on radio 730AM, I listen to Markov's agent comments. According to him (Meehan ??), there was a brief contract discussion last year. And now Habs organization tell them that they will resume the discussion when Markov is back on ice.

Regarding his injury, according to the agent, he's rehabilitating very well, he may be ready at the start of the season, or close to it. He seems quite confident.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 08:15 AM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigurh View Post
PG definitely needs to keep focus on the big priority - signing Price. Markov, as far as I know, has no intention to leave Montreal. He's happy here, and he even became a Canadian citizen.
More like a Canadiens citizen.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 08:37 AM
Horatio Caine

Quote:
The cut was an accident although Markov didn't look like a top five d-man on that play.

But since when are body checks accidents? He's been injured on three different ones in a year missing substantial time on two of them. And had the timing not been at the close of the season he would have missed a lot more games than he has - he's been saved by two summers of rehab.

He's gotta find a way to stay on the ice for crucial games IMO otherwise he isn't worth 6, 5 mil.
So if Duncan Keith had the same injury, he wouldn't have been a top d-man in this particular moment? Even the 90's Mark Recchi would have been injured.

It's something to be fragile, and another to land ackward (Gabrovski hit) or have a bizarre injury.

If Markov, every 2 months, has a knee problem after a soft hit, misses 2-3 straight games, then I'll say he's injury prone.

Horatio Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 09:01 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio Caine View Post
So if Duncan Keith had the same injury, he wouldn't have been a top d-man in this particular moment? Even the 90's Mark Recchi would have been injured.

It's something to be fragile, and another to land ackward (Gabrovski hit) or have a bizarre injury.

If Markov, every 2 months, has a knee problem after a soft hit, misses 2-3 straight games, then I'll say he's injury prone.
All I said was Markov did not look like a top 5 d-man on that play. But speaking of Duncan Keith - I would take him any day of the week over Markov.

If by your definition of injury prone Markov managed to stay in the lineup for the playoffs, I would opt for him being injury prone rather than what he's managed the last year and a half.

I'm content that management appears to be taking a wait and see attitude before discussing an extension.