HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings sign Willie Mitchell (2 years, 3.5m per)

Old
08-25-2010, 03:22 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

vCash: 500
One top 4 defenseman down, one top 6 winger to go. Get er done Deano.

The Los Angeles Kings - 2012 Stanley Cup Champions
TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 03:28 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

vCash: 567
Nice Job DL.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 03:28 PM
Johnny Utah

Like someone else said, it he wasn't coming off a concussion, he would prob gotten 4-4.5 as a UFA this summer and been as highly sought after as Hamhuis and Martin.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 03:29 PM
lumbergh

Big help for the penalty kill. I love JJ, but a little less time on the PK will do him good.

lumbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 03:30 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

... Mitchell is 33-year-old concussion case. Anyone over the age of 28 is a candidate for declining play anyway, so add him to the list of fading players (Smyth, Handzus, Scuderi) for whom the younger Kings will have to compensate. I don't see Mitchell playing a full season here, and in a partial season he's likely good for the same numbers that O'Donnell put up last season -- 15 points, +14. It looks to be a move of desperation with a ready-made excuse (injury) in place should it fail.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 03:34 PM
Johnny Utah

Why I love Mitchell....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOhd6wHvoHI

Old
08-25-2010, 03:35 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
One top 4 defenseman down, one top 6 winger to go. Get er done Deano.
I read that NJ is having trouble signing Kovalchuk. Apparently, the NHL wants a deal no greater than 13 years. I recall that another NHL team was offering a 13 year deal.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 03:39 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Mitchell is 33-year-old concussion case. Anyone over the age of 28 is a candidate for declining play anyway, so add him to the list of fading players (Smyth, Handzus, Scuderi) for whom the younger Kings will have to compensate. I don't see Mitchell playing a full season here, and in a partial season he's likely good for the same numbers that O'Donnell put up last season -- 15 points, +14. It looks to be a move of desperation with a ready-made excuse (injury) in place should it fail.
Sounds like you already have this pencilled in as a failure.

He is a stay-at-home dman and they tend to be valuable, longer than their offensive counterparts. Guys like Hal Gill, Willie Mitchell, Sean O'Donnell, and Jay McKee tend to play longer because they are stay-at-home guys and don't have to rely on speed.

You are also assuming taht Zus and Scuderi will have to be carried to make up for their fading. Again, you are jumping to a baseless conclusion before it even happens.

If Mitchell puts up 15 points and a +14...then you can probably rest assured we are easily in the playoffs.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 03:40 PM
Brad Doty
System Goalie

vCash: 250
Quote:
The 'list of fading players'? You could make a case for Smyth, but if you can show me how Handzus and Scuderi declined last year, I'll be impressed.

Mitchell is certainly a risk, but a calculated one.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 03:41 PM
Scrivezina
Who needs offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
What a Warrior . . . great signing
well said.

Scrivezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 03:42 PM
Ace of Canucks

You guys just got a class act and a terrific player to boot.

Was hoping that he'd come back to Vancouver, but there was no way we could compete with your offer.

Best of luck to Willie in LA!

Ace of Canucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 03:43 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
I read that NJ is having trouble signing Kovalchuk. Apparently, the NHL wants a deal no greater than 13 years. I recall that another NHL team was offering a 13 year deal.

Sarcasm or not... with the Mitchell signing, the Kings don't have the cap space to sign Kovalchuk this year assuming Schenn, Clifford and Muzzin make the team (only $2-3MM available depending on which cap site you rely on). A trade is in order for that winger.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 03:43 PM
alpa

What?

We actually signed someone that easily could had gone somewhere else...I'm stunned ...and glad we got him.

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 03:45 PM
Johnny Utah

Mitchell has a beef with Malkin too. Same with Simmonds.

Old
08-25-2010, 03:45 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Oh JT. Climb that tree and take a look at the forest.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 03:46 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Are you strickly a fantasy hockey fan? You act like stats tell the whole story. Mitchell is a legit top 4 defenseman and O'Donnell is barely a #6. Every player in the NHL can get injured. If you never take a chance, you never get rewarded. If there is a position that Dean can roll the dice, it is a defenseman.

You probably hated Mattias as well. He probably didn't put up enough points for you.

What about the fact that Mitchell could very well free up Johnson to play his style in the NHL for the first time? He's never had a partner as good as Mitchell. Scuderi certainly helped Doughty open up his game.

Old
jimmy1100
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
Sounds like you already have this pencilled in as a failure.

He is a stay-at-home dman and they tend to be valuable, longer than their offensive counterparts. Guys like Hal Gill, Willie Mitchell, Sean O'Donnell, and Jay McKee tend to play longer because they are stay-at-home guys and don't have to rely on speed.

You are also assuming taht Zus and Scuderi will have to be carried to make up for their fading. Again, you are jumping to a baseless conclusion before it even happens.

If Mitchell puts up 15 points and a +14...then you can probably rest assured we are easily in the playoffs.
Cue a JT post with statistics from 50+ over 33 players and how their stats declined on a graduating scale when cross-referenced with the hypotenuse algorithm that determines the speed of light in an underwater vacuum...

JT loves to use stats to crap over things that most of us get excited for...

jimmy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Mitchell has a beef with Malkin too. Same with Simmonds.
Hah, I can imagine the locker room conversation between Mitchell and Simmonds before we play Pittsburgh.

Willie: "I hate that punk"
Simmonds: "He is a ****ing *******."
Willie: "We gonna get him?"
Simmonds: "Let's get him."

Destruction to follow.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 03:48 PM
jimmy1100
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Sarcasm or not... with the Mitchell signing, the Kings don't have the cap space to sign Kovalchuk this year assuming Schenn, Clifford and Muzzin make the team (only $2-3MM available depending on which cap site you rely on). A trade is in order for that winger.
I second this opinion. Ran the numbers earlier just to see what kind of 1-year deal we could offer and it'd be in the $6.5m range. That simply isn't gonna get it done.

jimmy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 03:48 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
so add him to the list of fading players (Smyth, Handzus, Scuderi) for whom the younger Kings will have to compensate.
Smyth. . . maybe, even though he should be credited to helping Kopitar grow. Handzus & Scuderi? What are you talking about when you say "fading". . . Handzus & Scuderi are coming off fantastic seasons. You would of complained if the Kings didn't sign anyone and yet you complain when they make a decent signing.

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 03:49 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

JT,

Disagree heavily on Handzus and Scuderi. IMO, Zus was our second best forward last year, he did everything for the Kings, scored huge goals, matched up against other teams top lines, was an excellent PK and PP player. Scuderi was also worth every dime this year.

The Kings have made a couple big money, desperation signings or trades the last few years (Blake and Smyth in particular), I don't see how Mitchell fits into this group, taking on a $3.5 cap hit over two years isn't even in the ballpark of Smyth's ridiculous $6.2 or Blake's 6, or even whatever the hell they paid Cloutier.

If he suffers another concussion he probably goes on LTIR or retires anyways. We simply had to make a move, there was no way they could go into the season with the defense they had as of yesterday.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 03:50 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
If Kovalchuk signs in LA, that would mean the Kings are taking a shot at the cup this year and there is no need for Schenn to make the team as a 4th line player.

If Schenn makes the team and Kovalchuk was signed, it has to be as the #2 center and Stoll needs to be traded. No reason to burn a year of Schenn's ELC playing 4th line minutes.

The sarcasm was for the fact that Kovalchuk will not sign in LA.

Old
08-25-2010, 03:54 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
... I don't have this pencilled in as a failure, and I completely understand what style of game Mitchell plays. He's a good player, and if he beats the odds and has two healthy seasons, he'll do well for the Kings. I am saying that, with four key players on the roster over the age of 30, the Kings are very likely to see a decline from one (or all) of them. The injury risk of Mitchell makes this likelihood greater. If the Kings don't ride these players like a dray horse, and spot them properly, the chance of decline won't be as great. But that wasn't the case last season, and I don't see it happening this season. I'm not saying the Kings need to give 70+ games to the likes of Martinez, Drewiske, and Harrold, but it wouldn't hurt to see them get some time to gain more NHL experience as well as to keep the veterans fresh for the postseason.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 04:01 PM
Johnny Utah

Williams, Poni, and Handzus will all come off the books next year...though, I would like to re-sign Handzus. That over 10 million minus Willie's 3.5 = 7+ million more for Doughty, Johnson, Simmonds and whoever not including whatever cap space we already have..

Old
08-25-2010, 04:03 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
Quote:
... I don't have this pencilled in as a failure, and I completely understand what style of game Mitchell plays. He's a good player, and if he beats the odds and has two healthy seasons, he'll do well for the Kings. I am saying that, with four key players on the roster over the age of 30, the Kings are very likely to see a decline from one (or all) of them. The injury risk of Mitchell makes this likelihood greater. If the Kings don't ride these players like a dray horse, and spot them properly, the chance of decline won't be as great. But that wasn't the case last season, and I don't see it happening this season. I'm not saying the Kings need to give 70+ games to the likes of Martinez, Drewiske, and Harrold, but it wouldn't hurt to see them get some time to gain more NHL experience as well as to keep the veterans fresh for the postseason.
Actually, the key is that those guys over 30 don't make up the core of the team.

I think alot of teams have key guys in their 30's. Also, none of these guys are really pushing 40 yet....big difference.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote