HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Four Faces of the NYR.

Old
08-25-2010, 12:12 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 500
I would have put up a lot of people outside of Jags, but I guess they need to put up someone recent...Emile Francis, Eddie Giacomin...Jags did beat Graves' record and turned the organization around from a decade of horror so that does deserve some recognition.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 12:18 PM
RESPECT THE SHIELD10

I'd put Gilbert instead of Jagr, if they were looking for a scorer

RESPECT THE SHIELD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 12:24 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
The downplaying of what Jagr did here is a little disgusting.
its one of those knee jerk things, like how the cool thing is to tear down messier as much as possible around here. It's not enough for some to simply disagree, they also need to push all the way to the opposite direction.

That said, I realize what Jagr meant to this team, but his time here was too short to warrant being one of the 4 all time faces of the ragners.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 12:33 PM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
HEN - RIK ! !

If anyone should get credit for anything significant for the Rangers in the new era/last decade....

I say Messier, Leetch, Boucher, and Richter/Hank would be the 4 all time reps?

Complete and total no offense to whichever goalie stuck with the honorable mention.

Jagr? No. He represented the best to ever obviously try and not try while wearing a blueshirt.
(Not downplaying what he did, but only he stopped himself from not doing more and it was totally obvious. Example-Penguins series)
Why would you put Hank in there? He stinks and only cares about winning the Vezina........

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 01:21 PM
ogie

Update: JIm from Blueshirt Banter posted a further explanation of his pick of Jagr.

Quote:
I chose Jagr when I looked at his importance to the franchise AT HIS TIME, I thought he deserved to be there. He brought the Rangers back to respectability, and made them a relevant franchise again. I mean no disrespect to the great players the Rangers have had, hell, I spend half my free time trying to honor them on our radio show in one way or another.
So i guess Gilbert wasn't important to the franchise in his time. Or the fact that you see him at almost every Ranger event, constantly at the Garden for games. Just look at Gilbert's profile page , and tell me he isn't important to the franchise

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/atrplayer.htm?id=8447172

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 01:30 PM
TomLaidlaw

Jagr should be on the Penguins Mountain and Messier should be on the Oilers.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 01:37 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Puckdaddy is pathetic. He's a know nothing Devils fan with a crappy sports blog. Dude doesn't put research into anything he does. I mean, give me a break. Jagr was great. I loved him on the team. But over guys like Gilbert and Richter? Clueless and pathetic.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 01:47 PM
FultonReed
ew, you did what?

Puck Daddy doesn't actually write those, though. other bloggers that are fans of the teams do it. this guy was from Blueshirt Banter. name is Jim Schmiedeberg.

FultonReed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 01:58 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
It's impossible to pick 4 players/coaches without pissing some huge chunk of people off, sooo many people deserve consideration for a spot in the top 4.
And while I don't agree that Jagr should be there, its not the scandal some people are making it out to be. With the exception of Gretzky, Jagr is the most talented offensive player to ever wear a Rangers Jersey, hands down...

And before anyone freaks out, there are 3 players in league history that played over 1000 games in their careers that averaged more points per game than Jagr. Gretzky, Lemieux and Dionne

My Mt. Puckmore would be-

Messier- Ended a half century SC drought, to me he will always be the face of a player that seeks out and rises to the challenge.

Leetch- Our homegrown hero

Howell- 1160 games played

Gilbert- 1000+ pts as a Ranger, longtime face of the franchise

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 02:15 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Jagr did end an 8 year no playoff run. Jagr also does hold the Ranger record for goals edging out Graves. He also holds the Ranger record in single season scoring.

Just saying. Nothing comes close to winning a cup in New York, and that Jagr did not do. Richter, Graves, Leetch etc all did.

However, Neither has Gilbert; although establishing himself as a all-star caliber Ranger.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 02:20 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Puckdaddy is pathetic. He's a know nothing Devils fan with a crappy sports blog. Dude doesn't put research into anything he does. I mean, give me a break. Jagr was great. I loved him on the team. But over guys like Gilbert and Richter? Clueless and pathetic.
he gets a lot of crap for articles he doesnt write i've noticed, check the byline, if its Greg Wyshinski it's him, but he has a staff of other writers. In this case, it was a Rangers blogger that actually did this. I tend to think it was a ploy to get hits considering how big puck daddy readership is.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 02:21 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by FultonReed View Post
Puck Daddy doesn't actually write those, though. other bloggers that are fans of the teams do it. this guy was from Blueshirt Banter. name is Jim Schmiedeberg.
Haha, seriously? I check Banter once in a while, but I didn't imagine that Jim was that out to lunch. What a horrible ****ing article.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 02:35 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

messier, leetch, henrik (for the future), and gilbert.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 02:46 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Richter and Leetch belong there because they're the best goalie and defenseman to ever play for the Rangers. Messier is a no-brainer of course. For the fourth face I'd go with someone else over Jagr though. Probably Gilbert.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 02:49 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
Richter and Leetch belong there because they're the best goalie and defenseman to ever play for the Rangers. Messier is a no-brainer of course. For the fourth face I'd go with someone else over Jagr though. Probably Gilbert.
yeah, but Richters numbers are going to be obliterated by henrik after all is said and done...it hink you need a "now" face, and thats not Jagr to me, thats always been Henrik.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 03:35 PM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Giacomin. Of course, could be Richter (and to a lesser degree Henrik)... Jagr's a Penguin. Period. Had some great moments as a Ranger, but will always be BEST KNOWN as playing Robin to The Batman that was Mario.

Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 04:16 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Also going to note this is why journalists need to stay away from "Top X of all time" type of deals, since look at the outrage it causes. Some of you guys need to learn how to handle opinions a little more calmly.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 05:57 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Gilbert instead of Jagr, definitely.

Gilbert is an ambasador to hockey.

The guy is accessable. I skated with him when I was about 11 years old. He skated with me and talked hockey with me like I was his nephew. One of the nicest people in pro sports.

Besides that fact, he's the all-time leader in points as a Ranger. And he was the first player to have his number retired by the Rangers.

Everyone knows who Rod Gilbert is.

And Eddie Giacomin. Watching video of his return to MSG as a Red Wing, I've never seen anything like it. Graves was close but not like that.

Leetch, Messier, Boucher, Gilbert, and Giacomin.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 06:23 PM
Blazephr

Jagr? LMAO

that dudes credibility went right out the window.lol

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 08:04 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Read this article on my NYR app for Iphone. Not sure what Jagr is doing there, yes he broke the franchise scoring records in one year but he wasn't here that long. I'm a big Jagr fan but I don't agree with him on this list.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 08:59 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
LOL Thanks to video tape, age no longer means ignorance, but good call on the logic.
LOL maybe you should tell that to the person I was responding to who said that they couldn't comment on Giacomin and Bathgate and Ratelle because he was too young.

Nice job though.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 10:32 PM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Gilbert instead of Jagr, definitely.

Gilbert is an ambasador to hockey.

The guy is accessable. I skated with him when I was about 11 years old. He skated with me and talked hockey with me like I was his nephew. One of the nicest people in pro sports.

Besides that fact, he's the all-time leader in points as a Ranger. And he was the first player to have his number retired by the Rangers.

Everyone knows who Rod Gilbert is.

And Eddie Giacomin. Watching video of his return to MSG as a Red Wing, I've never seen anything like it. Graves was close but not like that.

Leetch, Messier, Boucher, Gilbert, and Giacomin.
this

Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 10:37 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
Jagr? LMAO

that dudes credibility went right out the window.lol
Really? Cause the gang on here wanted Jagr back so bad they cried when he resigned in Russia. You guys love to bash and disagree with everyone. Jagr is always brought up on here as a all time great Ranger. I would have put Gilbert on there also but Jagr was his pick. Some of you wanted Hank that is even funnier

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 10:51 PM
Blazephr

lets not forget in Jagr's last year...he was "saving himself" for the play-offs. which means his frustrating,lackluster performance during the regular season was by design. Had he reached 84 points or earned an award, his contract would have been automatically extended for one year. He simply didn't play hard enough to hit the 84 points. He was disgruntled with the Gomez and Drury signings, and took it upon himself to have Dubi (a rookie) as his center just to spite. IMO...He caused his own exit.

Have to admit...the only person who reaped the benefits from Jagr's grumpiness is DUBI. Jagr did do a nice job bringing him along. Jagr being the diva that he is... wanted only Dubi as his center.Not Gomez, and especially NOT Drury.

Last edited by Blazephr: 08-25-2010 at 10:56 PM.
Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 11:57 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
LOL maybe you should tell that to the person I was responding to who said that they couldn't comment on Giacomin and Bathgate and Ratelle because he was too young.

Nice job though.

"Nice job though"... Why are you saying that? What did I do a good job in?
The feeling I get from you saying such a thing makes me want to point out that nobody said they couldn't comment on the three you mentioned because of age. In fact, as you may not have seen, he DID comment based on stats...

But for the guy who said he couldn't comment on the pre 94 players...I would just tell him to watch some video.

I was giving you credit for calling out the logic, not being sarcastic, nor did it warrant a response like 'nice job though'.

Sorry for my being defensive.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote