HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010 Flyers Prospects & Phantoms Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-25-2010, 10:53 AM
Rick Deckard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Wait...what? Does that mean Riopel is going to play in the AHL? How does that work with Leighton and Boucher in the big club and Bobro and Backlund suppose to be playing in the AHL as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Not necessarily. He could have signed an AHL contract and then will be loaned to Greenville.
Or Backlund steals a NHL job ... he is on an one-way deal for 11/12 anyway.

Old
08-25-2010, 11:14 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
Or Backlund steals a NHL job ... he is on an one-way deal for 11/12 anyway.
It's far more likely:

NHL: Leighton, Boucher
AHL: Bobrovsky, Backlund
ECHL: Riopel, Stewart

Old
08-25-2010, 11:14 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Good to see they gave Riopel a contract. I think I'd rather see him play huge minutes in the ECHL than be a backup in the A but that's just me. I don't see the ECHL in the same light for goalies that I do for skaters.

Old
08-25-2010, 11:42 AM
Donny Brook
\_-------o [XXX]

Flyers rookies scheduled to show up at camp on Sat, 9/11, vets report on Fri, 9/17.

Rookies will finish their week with a game vs the Capitals rookies on Thurs, 9/16 @ 3pm: http://capitals.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|WSH|home

Old
08-25-2010, 12:01 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Flyers rookies scheduled to show up at camp on Sat, 9/11, vets report on Fri, 9/17.

Rookies will finish their week with a game vs the Capitals rookies on Thurs, 9/16 @ 3pm: http://capitals.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|WSH|home

I don't understand how they are having vets show up only 4 days before the first preseason game. Maybe it is just because I played football and have no idea how a sane sport handles training camps, but 2 weeks before the start of the regular season just seems so short...

Old
08-25-2010, 12:38 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Hmm, guess I figured Riopel would be inked this year. Still, does create a logjam, and I hope we don't spend too little time working with each of the goalie prospects individually.

And it's pretty funny that we now have both Testwuides.

Old
08-25-2010, 01:17 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
Hmm, guess I figured Riopel would be inked this year. Still, does create a logjam, and I hope we don't spend too little time working with each of the goalie prospects individually.

Mike was pretty sought after, maybe he made picking up his brother a pre-req for him coming here. Especially since he must have known that he wouldn't be given an outside chance of making the team out of camp.

As far as the goalies go, I am pretty annoyed that Riopel does not seem like he is ever going to get a legit shot. So far it is shaping up (barring people sucking or excelling) due to contract states as:

This year:

Leighton
Boucher

Brobovsky
Backlund

Riopel
someone

Next year:

Leighton
Backlund

Brobovsky
Riopel

someone
someone

2 years:

someone
Brobovsky

Ericsson
Riopel

someone
someone

Old
08-25-2010, 02:16 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post

What logjam does it create? All is does is it ensures that the Phantoms may have a decent 3rd goalie in case of injury at the either the NHL or AHL level.

There is nothing wrong with having 5 or 6 goalies under contract.

Old
08-25-2010, 08:00 PM
Donny Brook
\_-------o [XXX]

Roommates & Rockband: Holmstrom, Rowe, Testwuide and Wellwood

Quote:
Preparing for your first professional season can be scary, but Flyers prospects Ben Holmstrom, Andrew Rowe, Mike Testwuide and Eric Wellwood are taking safety in numbers.

It all started when UMass-Lowell lost their best of three series against Maine in the Hockey East Quarterfinals to end the season. The next day, Holmstrom, the three-time captain of the River Hawks signed with Philadelphia as an undrafted free agent and was on his way to Glens Falls to meet up with the Phantoms...
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=29885

Old
08-25-2010, 08:28 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Roommates & Rockband: Holmstrom, Rowe, Testwuide and Wellwood

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=29885
Great read. Good catch.

Old
08-25-2010, 08:49 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Those two, like every other radio host in Philly, don't know **** about hockey. One day Glen said, "I just don't understand the Shelley signing, how can you pay a goon 3M/year?"

I listen to Mikey Miss because I listen to music all day at work and get a little tired of it for the ride home and whenever he mentions hockey I cringe at how someone who works in SPORTS talk radio doesn't know **** about one of the 4 major sports. Maybe a little less NBA research/talk in a city that doesn't care about their NBA team and a little more NHL for one of the top 3 US hockey markets?
Jones is the only person I would listen to on radio in this town. Comcast is the best. I would not turn on wip even if you paid me. I subscribe and love it.

Old
08-25-2010, 09:31 PM
flyersguy33*

Phantoms will play a game at Wells Fargo this year

Quote:
FLYERS’ AND PENGUINS’ AHL AFFILIATES BATTLE IN REGULAR SEASON GAME

The Philadelphia Flyers American Hockey League affiliate, the Adirondack Phantoms, announced today that they will play a regular season game against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins at the Wells Fargo Center on January 21, 2011.

“Bringing the Phantoms back to Philadelphia for a game at the Wells Fargo Center allows our fans an opportunity to personally see the next generation of Flyers players currently in our system,” said Comcast-Spectacor President Peter Luukko. “We’re grateful to the Phantoms owners, Rob and Jim Brooks, for making it possible to have the Phantoms come back for a regular season game again this season for hockey fans in Philadelphia."

"Playing a game in the Wells Fargo Center is always a thrill for our players, and a great opportunity for the fans of Philadelphia to take a sneak peak at the Flyers' future stars,” said Phantoms President/Co-Owner Jim Brooks. “And for us, it is a great way to celebrate the strong working partnership between the Flyers and Phantoms."

Tickets for all children 12-years-old and younger are $10. Individual tickets at $14, $18, and $19 will go on sale Fri. Sept. 17 and can be purchased exclusively through ComcastTIX on line at ComcastTIX.com, by phone by calling 1-800-298-4200 or in person at the Wells Fargo Center box office. There are also a very limited number of front row, along the ice, seats available for $33.

Old
08-26-2010, 08:21 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Jones is the only person I would listen to on radio in this town. Comcast is the best. I would not turn on wip even if you paid me. I subscribe and love it.
You wouldn't listen to Morganti? IMO he is the saving grace of the morning show. The best weeks is when Cataldi is on vacation and Al runs the show.

When it comes to hockey Macnow definitely knows what he is talking about.

Old
08-26-2010, 09:01 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
You wouldn't listen to Morganti? IMO he is the saving grace of the morning show. The best weeks is when Cataldi is on vacation and Al runs the show.

When it comes to hockey Macnow definitely knows what he is talking about.
Macnow does not know what he is talking about... he always just defers to what his partner is saying or brings up the bullies era. The radio hosts know a good amount about hockey pre-90's, but the current team they are absolutely clueless.

Old
08-26-2010, 10:08 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Macnow does not know what he is talking about... he always just defers to what his partner is saying or brings up the bullies era. The radio hosts know a good amount about hockey pre-90's, but the current team they are absolutely clueless.
Agree to disagree.

Old
08-26-2010, 10:35 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
Agree to disagree.
Can we at least agree that Mikey Miss is by far the least hockey adept? I really enjoy his show on my ride home, but when he mentions hockey it is either a backhanded insult or a completely assanine comment. The SCF was the worst time in history to listen to sports talk radio because both the hosts and callers were complete and utter morons on the subject.

Old
08-26-2010, 11:11 AM
pelts35.com

No, I wouldn't agree with that. Mike Miss looks like a hockey genius compared to Eskin.

Old
08-26-2010, 12:09 PM
Larry44

Quote:
I don't understand how they are having vets show up only 4 days before the first preseason game. Maybe it is just because I played football and have no idea how a sane sport handles training camps, but 2 weeks before the start of the regular season just seems so short...
Isn't the timing of camps, etc. governed by the CBA? It would have to be negotiated. It's why the teams can't run 'official' workouts until a certain date, but it just happens that every player shows up early...

Old
08-26-2010, 12:53 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
No, I wouldn't agree with that. Mike Miss looks like a hockey genius compared to Eskin.
Well I wasn't including him because I think he has been replaced on WIP finally, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Isn't the timing of camps, etc. governed by the CBA? It would have to be negotiated. It's why the teams can't run 'official' workouts until a certain date, but it just happens that every player shows up early...
I wouldn't be surprised if that is how it works, but again, I have to wonder why either the league or the NHLPA would want such a short training camp. Sure the PA would want a short camp for stars/vets, but for the young players they would want a longer camp, so it is a conflict of interests that evens out the overall opinion of the orginization... and I can't imagine owners are happy about only 4 practices before their first preseason game.

Old
08-26-2010, 01:13 PM
Kloparren
Hth

What happened to Lukas Kaspar? He was a former first round draft pick and from what I heard from a guy in a keeper league who lives in Finland, he was great for Karpat last season in Finland (stats show 31 pts from 39 games). He played for the Czechs during the last WCs. He's apparently been moved to a KHL team...Barys Astana but I dunno if the contract is long or short term. Is he ever coming back to Philly?

Old
08-26-2010, 01:33 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettles View Post
What happened to Lukas Kaspar? He was a former first round draft pick and from what I heard from a guy in a keeper league who lives in Finland, he was great for Karpat last season in Finland (stats show 31 pts from 39 games). He played for the Czechs during the last WCs. He's apparently been moved to a KHL team...Barys Astana but I dunno if the contract is long or short term. Is he ever coming back to Philly?
I am pretty sure we signed him last season, but when he didn't make the NHL squad out of camp we released him so that he wouldn't have to fester in the AHL.

Old
08-26-2010, 03:54 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
I am pretty sure we signed him last season, but when he didn't make the NHL squad out of camp we released him so that he wouldn't have to fester in the AHL.
He released himself.

Old
08-26-2010, 10:54 PM
A Clerk
Schennergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettles View Post
All I can remember of him is that his skating style look liked Leino's but only if Leino just threw back 10 Jägerbombs.

Old
08-27-2010, 02:52 AM
Rick Deckard

Prospect Watch: Marc-Andre Bourdon

Quote:
VOORHEES, N.J. – The Philadelphia Flyers, coming off a run in which they were two games from their first Stanley Cup championship since 1975, have few weaknesses in their depth chart. However, one of the largest deficiencies in their organization is the amount of prospects in the farm system – and the talent those kids posses.

With the team’s prospect conditioning camp in the books, there was one player on the ice who looked like a man among boys. He’s been called one of the most physical players to ever play in the Quebec League. He is defenseman Marc-Andre Bourdon.

[...]

Old
08-27-2010, 07:27 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
Why didn't Luce just say "well it wasn't a complete disaster but pretty darn close."

Closed Thread