HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Zherdev Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-26-2010, 07:23 AM
  #26
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
In his defense, he's played all of 7 playoff games. Hardly a representative sample.
Zero goals and zero assists. When your best player is not contributing at the most important times it is tough to just give him a pass, maybe he has changed some of his ways and he improve in areas where he lacks the discipline to be a 60 minute player, but I have my reservations.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 07:36 AM
  #27
JSTAFF
Registered User
 
JSTAFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Zero goals and zero assists. When your best player is not contributing at the most important times it is tough to just give him a pass, maybe he has changed some of his ways and he improve in areas where he lacks the discipline to be a 60 minute player, but I have my reservations.
Good thing we don't need him to be our best player then aye?

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 08:03 AM
  #28
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
Good thing we don't need him to be our best player then aye?
Was Gagne one of the best players on the roster? When healthy?

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 08:04 AM
  #29
JSTAFF
Registered User
 
JSTAFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Was Gagne one of the best players on the roster? When healthy?
Now its 'one of our best players.'

And still, no. Richards > Pronger > Carter > Timonen > Briere/Gagne.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 08:06 AM
  #30
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
He's very slick.
When he's not being a lazy skater.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 08:11 AM
  #31
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
Now its 'one of our best players.'

And still, no. Richards > Pronger > Carter > Timonen > Briere/Gagne.
I have heard a number of contradictory comments on expectations for Zherdev, what do you project his numbers to be? And yes, it should have been "one of your best players" who is counted on for scoring and defense.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 08:19 AM
  #32
JSTAFF
Registered User
 
JSTAFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
I have heard a number of contradictory comments on expectations for Zherdev, what do you project his numbers to be? And yes, it should have been "one of your best players" who is counted on for scoring and defense.
GP 75 G 26 A 35 P 61 +/- Depends on the lines, will know more later on.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 08:48 AM
  #33
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
GP 75 G 26 A 35 P 61 +/- Depends on the lines, will know more later on.
Those numbes are precisely what Richards and Carter put up for the year. So he is one of your most vital pieces in scoring at the very least. My view on his is to expect pretty much what he has done before: 25-28-53pts.

As fans we are going to have to be a bit realistic with the expectations, we are not going to have 6 guys over 60pts. Laviolette has his work cut out for him to distribute the talent on the lines and also put together defensively sound lines willing to skate for the puck. The talent is there, I just hope they put it all together and develop some chemistry.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 09:29 AM
  #34
UseYourAllusion
Registered User
 
UseYourAllusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 6,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
When he's not being a lazy skater.
Well, yeah.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 12:41 PM
  #35
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW
 
ShawnTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 8,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Zero goals and zero assists. When your best player is not contributing at the most important times it is tough to just give him a pass, maybe he has changed some of his ways and he improve in areas where he lacks the discipline to be a 60 minute player, but I have my reservations.
refer to post #13

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 12:46 PM
  #36
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,204
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Those numbes are precisely what Richards and Carter put up for the year. So he is one of your most vital pieces in scoring at the very least. My view on his is to expect pretty much what he has done before: 25-28-53pts.

As fans we are going to have to be a bit realistic with the expectations, we are not going to have 6 guys over 60pts. Laviolette has his work cut out for him to distribute the talent on the lines and also put together defensively sound lines willing to skate for the puck. The talent is there, I just hope they put it all together and develop some chemistry.
I'd have to disagree with that. Zherdev will benefit from playing with better players and if he is on Richards' line I expect Richards to benefit as well. I expect to see improved production from a lot of the players on this team. The Flyers ranked third in goals scored in the East, and I think with a lot of the injuries and slumps players had, that number will rise this year. I doubt we challenege Washington as the best offensive team, but I think it is more than possible to pass Pittsburgh as the number two scoring offense.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 02:02 PM
  #37
agrudez*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
i bet Lavy can whip him into shape, or i bet he simply will be benched..

i dont think Lavy will put up with a "cancer in teh dressing room" type of player...
Like he benched Hartnell when he was dragging down an entire line for the entire season?

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 02:07 PM
  #38
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Everyone plays like **** on the Rangers in the playoffs.
The Rangers are a playoff team?

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 02:11 PM
  #39
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,032
vCash: 500
Assuming Zherdev gets top six minutes and opportunities, I expect around 24 goals and 60 to 65 points to be honest.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 02:12 PM
  #40
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 15,973
vCash: 873
He has more talent than Lupul, but will probably give you Lupul numbers.

Zherdev has the talent to be a 30+/30+ guy with 80 point potential

But the effort to reach those numbers isn't really there and usually falls scort.

You will enjoy him. A very talented player.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 02:40 PM
  #41
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Everyone plays like **** on the Rangers in the playoffs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
refer to post #13
And I would respond to that as a copout. Seven games and not one point.....come on.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 02:41 PM
  #42
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
He has more talent than Lupul, but will probably give you Lupul numbers.

Zherdev has the talent to be a 30+/30+ guy with 80 point potential

But the effort to reach those numbers isn't really there and usually falls scort.

You will enjoy him. A very talented player.
Buuuuuuuut........as a Skirts fan you will be laughing as the Rangers players dart on the ice on an oddman rush with Zherdev pondering whether he should take a line change?

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 02:45 PM
  #43
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'd have to disagree with that. Zherdev will benefit from playing with better players and if he is on Richards' line I expect Richards to benefit as well. I expect to see improved production from a lot of the players on this team. The Flyers ranked third in goals scored in the East, and I think with a lot of the injuries and slumps players had, that number will rise this year. I doubt we challenege Washington as the best offensive team, but I think it is more than possible to pass Pittsburgh as the number two scoring offense.
Do you win more games by scoring more goals or keeping the other team from scoring more goals? If you follow the Caps theory it is #1, whereas the Hawks theory was #2, thus a high success rate in games won by one goal. Zherdev and Carter are mirror images of eachother, both need the puck on their stick to be successful, but when the offense dries up they tend to slack off the defense. You will see both put up an excellent game and then a couple games where you wonder where they are, invisible.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 03:40 PM
  #44
mm6492
Registered User
 
mm6492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,518
vCash: 500
On the Rangers, he was counted on to be the man offensively and eh could not live up to the pressure. Here, he is not. We have Carter, Richards, Briere, Giroux, JvR, Hartnell, and Leino all contributing offensively. Zherdev just has to fit in somewhere with them and will not be relied upon to carry the offense.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 03:58 PM
  #45
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,273
vCash: 156
i want him to adequatly replace gagne, so i'll likely be disappointed.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 09:59 PM
  #46
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Andrew Knoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
i want him to adequatly replace gagne, so i'll likely be disappointed.
were the definitions of "likely" and "as certainly as you will die one day" switched when i put down my dictionary?

if zherdev can replace gagne's offensive production alone i will be pleasantly surprised.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 10:26 PM
  #47
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,273
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Duberstein View Post
were the definitions of "likely" and "as certainly as you will die one day" switched when i put down my dictionary?

if zherdev can replace gagne's offensive production alone i will be pleasantly surprised.
haha, it was a bit of understatement on my part. i think ill be more disappointed in holmgren more than zherdev.

wouldn't it have been neat to see gagne and zherdev on the same team?

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 02:00 AM
  #48
SgtJoseph
Registered User
 
SgtJoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northwest Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripe4theSnipe View Post
Leafs fan coming in peace. I justed wanted to say I think Zherdev is going to be the steal of the offseason especially at his cap hit and age. I really think he'll finally blossom into the legit first line threat we've always thought he would be. I didn't really expect Philly to be after him given your tough, physical style of play but a dangler/sniper like him could be the perfect compliment to your team. Also, I'm jealous that your bottom 6 could be arguably as good as our top 6. Anyways, good luck on the season.
I agree 100% with your post, a lot of upside with what he can bring to our team.Hopefully Lavy, Ritchie, and a few others can get him motivated for a whole season, if so he can be one of our top scorers in my opinion.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 01:38 AM
  #49
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close
 
SeanVT395's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 3,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
So many dangles.
Just think of this line: Leino-Giroux-Zherdev

my god, no one would ever know where the puck is....

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 02:18 AM
  #50
ArmchairGM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,312
vCash: 500
As much as everybody loves Gagne, I feel he is really starting to be overrated. He struggled for much of this year. He may have had an awesome play-offs, but he's certainly not the same player he used to be. His days as a point per game player are likely over. He's probably more of a 25-35 guy these days. I expect Zherdev to put up those numbers. Even though Zherdev will never be anywhere near Gagne on defensive side of the game, its time to realize he is a more effective offensive player.

ArmchairGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.