HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National TV Schedules out - without the Predators

Old
08-26-2010, 01:33 PM
sighthndlady

vCash: 500
National TV Schedules out - without the Predators

So, here we are trying to continue to build up our fan base in this part of the world. One would think that seeing your home team on a national broadcast occasionally might help with that - after all, if I turn on network TV and it's hockey and I'm not a fan, I might presumably stay a nanosecond longer if one of the teams is the one in my town, right? Near as I can tell from nhl.com, this is the number of appearance the Preds will make on various national networks during the 2010-11 season:

TSN - 0
CBC - 0
NBC - 0
NHLN-US - 0
NHLN-C - 0
RDS - 2 (@Montreal and @Philadelphia)
RIS - 2 (@Tampa Bay, @Calgary)
Versus - 1 (the night before Thanksgiving - ooh that's going to be a big audience!)

Now, there are a few games late in the season with teams TBD. They may be forced to show us then, but come on! This is even worse than usual.

sighthndlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 01:39 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

meanwhile, even phoenix has five.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 01:51 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

until we win a playoff series, or grow to a city of 5+ million, we will always be left out in the dark during National TV time

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 01:52 PM
Soundgarden

I thought we were trying to grow our fanbase, you'd think they'd put us on vs. atleast twice. Let me guess, Pittsburgh, Washington, Detroit and the popular New York have the most apperances this year?

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 01:55 PM
jstreet

vCash: 1453
Vs Hockey, all Flyers all the time. Or at least it seemed to me, everytime I turned the tv on the Wings or Flyers were on.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 02:05 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

at least we aren't Atlanta ... 1 game ... on the road ... at the end of the season

Old
08-26-2010, 02:17 PM
predhead1

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
meanwhile, even phoenix has five.
This I don't understand - how can the Preds get 1 game and phoenix 5? the powers that be just continue to despise hockey in Nashville

predhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 02:26 PM
66Falconboy

I don't think there is something sinister going on here, it's just a simple fact that not many folks across the country are interested in the Nashville Predators. They have no obligation to help us grow our fanbase. Their only obligation is to get as many people watching as possible, and the best way to do that is to show large market teams with players that folks recognize, not guys like Jerrod Smithson.

66Falconboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 02:47 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by predhead1 View Post
This I don't understand - how can the Preds get 1 game and phoenix 5? the powers that be just continue to despise hockey in Nashville
Easy, the Coyotes are a feel-good story who had the third-best record in the Western Conference while the Predators snuck in the back door. I'm not trying to be an ass or anything, but unless there's a good story behind the team or some amazing local ratings, Versus has no to show incentive Nashville games. Same goes with the Canadian channels, although in fairness that has a lot to do with playing in the Central.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 02:55 PM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Easy, the Coyotes are a feel-good story who had the third-best record in the Western Conference while the Predators snuck in the back door. I'm not trying to be an ass or anything, but unless there's a good story behind the team or some amazing local ratings, Versus has no to show incentive Nashville games. Same goes with the Canadian channels, although in fairness that has a lot to do with playing in the Central.
Fail.

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 03:02 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreet View Post
Vs Hockey, all Flyers all the time. Or at least it seemed to me, everytime I turned the tv on the Wings or Flyers were on.
Versus is a Comcast network, the Flyers are owned by Comcast.

Mind = blown?

This shouldn't shock anyone. NBC has one intention when broadcasting NHL games, and that's to get as many viewers as possible, which is why teams in the Northeast get the most national TV time. That's how it is with every sport, except maybe football (I'm not sure if teams are guaranteed an appearance on SNF/MNF or not).

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 03:04 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Versus is a Comcast network, the Flyers are owned by Comcast.

Mind = blown?

This shouldn't shock anyone. NBC has one intention when broadcasting NHL games, and that's to get as many viewers as possible, which is why teams in the Northeast get the most national TV time. That's how it is with every sport, except maybe football (I'm not sure if teams are guaranteed an appearance on SNF/MNF or not).
SHOCKING j/k

Old
08-26-2010, 03:12 PM
PredsChik

Quote:
We didn't have multiple showings when our team was gutted, local owners stepped up to save the day, and we beat all odds to make the playoffs with our feel good story.

I don't really care at this point but just showing that it's not all about a feel good story since nobody game a damn about our feel good story.

also, feel good story (I've said that a lot)

Last edited by PredsChik: 08-26-2010 at 03:16 PM. Reason: feel good story
PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 03:14 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Teams with 100 points on the season are now referred to as "sneaking in the back door"...but only in the western conference.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 03:14 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I'm with WFOME. I'm not sure why anyone is surprised. Personally, I'm glad they snubbed us. Now we won't have to worry about being blacked out. Screw 'em. Other than better HD and the Doc I couldn't care less about any of the national networks anyway. Being shown on NBC or VS isn't going to grow our fanbase by any noticeable margin. Winning will, however, which might also get us some more games on those networks.

I like the whole "us vs the world" attitude because it helps our fan base feel more united, but let's not get carried away here. I'd rather not we turn into obnoxious fans like, say, St Louis or Vancouver fans. "Waa no one respects us waa". That isn't us.

edit: I'm also not really sure what the problem with Gopher's comment is. Nothing he/she said is untrue. Phoenix was on the cusp of being bought and moved, stayed in the desert, and out of no where became a force in the tough Western Conference. Sure Nashville was better than people expected, too, but it isn't like we made the play offs for the first time in a decade or anything. We had our moment of turning from victim to hero. It felt great in Nashville. Who cares how it feels to anyone else in any other city around the world?

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 03:15 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
Teams with 100 points on the season are now referred to as "sneaking in the back door"...but only in the western conference.
Kinda makes you wonder what would happen if the Preds were in the East.....and beating the high holy crap out of everyone

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 03:18 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Kinda makes you wonder what would happen if the Preds were in the East.....and beating the high holy crap out of everyone
Well, for one thing, we'd have been either 3rd or 4th... assuming we didn't end up higher because we could beat the high holy crap out of everyone.

Third Man In--It doesn't bother me to fly under the radar. As for gopher, the only problem I have is saying we "snuck in the back door" as if we were lucky to get in. It was not luck, it was hard work and talent.

Last edited by Adz: 08-26-2010 at 03:21 PM. Reason: To add something
Old
08-26-2010, 03:23 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Well, for one thing, we'd have been either 3rd or 4th... assuming we didn't end up higher because we could beat the high holy crap out of everyone.
Remember, the Preds would be in the Southeast division last year. Do we remember the southeast division last year? Florida, Atlanta, Carolina, Tampa Bay. Nashville would replace Washington as the big bully of the division. Try 1-3 seeding and a division title.

If Nashville can hold it's own in the Central, they could win a division in other divisions.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 03:30 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Third Man In--It doesn't bother me to fly under the radar. As for gopher, the only problem I have is saying we "snuck in the back door" as if we were lucky to get in. It was not luck, it was hard work and talent.
I agree it wasn't luck, I just didn't take the comment that way. I took it as Gopher trying to give an account from the hypothetical perspective of those who pick the schedules at individual stations. To them it looks sexier to put a team with a "feel good" story in some slots versus a team who basically did the same thing it's been doing. Granted, we've only "snuck in" three times, and one of those times was before the lock out. Two seasons we were a lock almost from the gate, and in 08-09 we barely missed. It's exciting hockey for us fans, but it isn't necessarily a storyline that jumps out at anyone else. Phoenix also has a bigger media market than Nashville.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 03:51 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiralyPred View Post
Fail.
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsChik20 View Post
We didn't have multiple showings when our team was gutted, local owners stepped up to save the day, and we beat all odds to make the playoffs with our feel good story.

I don't really care at this point but just showing that it's not all about a feel good story since nobody game a damn about our feel good story.

also, feel good story (I've said that a lot)
I feel if the team wasn't gutted and/or a bigger postseason run that the Preds would have had a better national television showing after 2006-2007 (the sale really overshadowed how well that season went), but it is what it is.

Quote:
edit: I'm also not really sure what the problem with Gopher's comment is. Nothing he/she said is untrue. Phoenix was on the cusp of being bought and moved, stayed in the desert, and out of no where became a force in the tough Western Conference. Sure Nashville was better than people expected, too, but it isn't like we made the play offs for the first time in a decade or anything. We had our moment of turning from victim to hero. It felt great in Nashville. Who cares how it feels to anyone else in any other city around the world?
Thanks - that's essentially my point. Nashville has three things going against them (lack of big name players*, market size/tv ratings and history) so it takes something big to get national attention.

*Pre-emptively going to say that I do count Shea Weber

Quote:
Meant it compared to Phoenix since the Predators were the 7th seed compared to the Coyotes' 4th seed and third-best point total. Apparently no one else saw it that way.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 04:42 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

My point was that the 7th seed was 5 points ahead of 8th. The only teams sneaking around the back door were 10 points behind us. Phoenix did a great job...but we were in contention for the 5th seed in the final week of play.

Old
08-26-2010, 05:10 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

who cares. you know how you get to be on national tv? force them to. every conference final and stanley cup final are on national tv and moseconference semifinals are too. force them.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 12:27 AM
fielding

I kinda like that our Versus is game is the day before thanksgiving. FSN probably wouldn't broadcast that date anyway and I'm sure I'll be out of town so I can watch the Preds while out of town on Thanksgiving vacation.

win/win/win

fielding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 03:02 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:

TSN - 0
CBC - 0
NBC - 0
NHLN-US - 0
NHLN-C - 0
RDS - 2 (@Montreal and @Philadelphia)
RIS - 2 (@Tampa Bay, @Calgary)
Versus - 1 (the night before Thanksgiving - ooh that's going to be a big audience!)

Now, there are a few games late in the season with teams TBD. They may be forced to show us then, but come on! This is even worse than usual.
We're usually only on once on Versus anyway so no big deal.

We play Detroit at home Sat., April 2 at 2pm so that could be an NBC game.

I don't care that we aren't on TSN or CBC, they usually end up at some point talking crap about or taking a cheap shot at our attendance, ownership or something stupid anyway.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 03:38 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Meant it compared to Phoenix since the Predators were the 7th seed compared to the Coyotes' 4th seed and third-best point total. Apparently no one else saw it that way.
Of course we don't see it that way, as 90 points would have got us in, and the Preds got 100 points. That's not sneaking in the back door, that's kicking the front door in.

Phoenix is a better national market probably. Lots of winter travelers who may also watch them from hockey areas around the country. Probably had a bigger national fan base from the former Gretzky connection as well. Nobody knows Nashville until the Preds come to town and beat them. The next step is to do that in the playoffs.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote