HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cody Franson Signs two year $800K per year

Old
08-26-2010, 12:09 PM
jlsg

vCash: 500
I think everyone is looking at Franson's offense and forgetting that he has some defensive responsibilities as well.
As to your point David, no. Even Weber and Suter aren't done cooking yet and they need a vet like Bouillon around. Without him, Suter is the senior guy at 25 years of age and 5 nhl seasons. That makes for a very young defense.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 12:13 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
I think everyone is looking at Franson's offense and forgetting that he has some defensive responsibilities as well.
As to your point David, no. Even Weber and Suter aren't done cooking yet and they need a vet like Bouillon around. Without him, Suter is the senior guy at 25 years of age and 5 nhl seasons. That makes for a very young defense.
Oh, I agree. I like Bouillon for two reasons: veteran experience primarily and an additional physical presence on the blueline.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 12:25 PM
canoebears

I can guarantee Franson is not being greedy and is not after huge dollars.
He was probably offered a 2 way deal with a 10% raise for 1 year, which is
the minimum Nashville is required to pay. I am sure he would sign for between
650-700k.

canoebears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 12:43 PM
roseyc

Poile said on his radio interview on the Zone that negotiation were not going well. That he might miss camp and that wouldn't be a good thing. Bouillion bring valuable experience and toughness that Franson doesn't have in his game. Franson is an offensive defensive. We have a number of offensive defensive in our minor league system. Franson doesn't have the hype or the pedigre of Weber. LL was referencing Franson to Wilson. Wilson scored 8 goals in half the games (35) that Legwand played(82) and scored (11). Wilson worked his way into the number one line last year. That was a bad example. I think you can package Franson and O'Reilly and you can get a solid player in return for them

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Nshpred87

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
Poile said on his radio interview on the Zone that negotiation were not going well. That he might miss camp and that wouldn't be a good thing. Bouillion bring valuable experience and toughness that Franson doesn't have in his game. Franson is an offensive defensive. We have a number of offensive defensive in our minor league system. Franson doesn't have the hype or the pedigre of Weber. LL was referencing Franson to Wilson. Wilson scored 8 goals in half the games (35) that Legwand played(82) and scored (11). Wilson worked his way into the number one line last year. That was a bad example. I think you can package Franson and O'Reilly and you can get a solid player in return for them
AMEN!

Nshpred87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 01:49 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

To answer the question would I drop Bouillon out of the top 6? No, he's a decent 6th defenseman. As far as his experience goes, I doubt Suter or Weber have much of anything to learn from a guy that spent most of his career as a 7th defenseman.

Having said that, I think Blum can come in from day one and be better than both.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 03:28 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
To answer the question would I drop Bouillon out of the top 6? No, he's a decent 6th defenseman. As far as his experience goes, I doubt Suter or Weber have much of anything to learn from a guy that spent most of his career as a 7th defenseman.

Having said that, I think Blum can come in from day one and be better than both.
I assume by "both" you mean Buillon and Franson not Weber and Suter

as for the poster who "guaranteed" that Franson wasnt being greedy.. I suspect thats correct, but I also bet he's getting bad advice from his agent.

if the hangup is one-way vs two-way, then I agree thats worth fighting over and going down to the wire for but in the end he'd be foolish to miss camp.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 04:22 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Agreed. Fighting for a one-way deal is acceptable, but to miss camp over that detail would be ridiculous. If you play on a two-way contract it's up to you to keep yourself in the NHL. If you miss camp and then end up with a two-way deal anyway you're almost guaranteed a spot in the AHL with the prospects we have coming up. That is if you end up with a contract at all.

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 06:08 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post

i said that last year too...

token grinder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 09:46 PM
canoebears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Agreed. Fighting for a one-way deal is acceptable, but to miss camp over that detail would be ridiculous. If you play on a two-way contract it's up to you to keep yourself in the NHL. If you miss camp and then end up with a two-way deal anyway you're almost guaranteed a spot in the AHL with the prospects we have coming up. That is if you end up with a contract at all.
If he were to sign a 2-way contract and was sent down I would think he would
be a waiver pick-up as he is eligable.The kid will not miss a day of camp as he is smart enough to know that the Preds have the hammer in this situation but don't
hold it against him for tying to get a little more. Heard a rumour that he was offered
1.5 to play in the KHL but he wants to play for Nashville for half of that.

canoebears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 03:22 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
There appears to be at least some progress being made in negotiations between the Nashville Predators and their restricted free agent defenseman Cody Franson. Friday afternoon, Franson’s agent Steve Kotlowitz said that the two sides have spoken this week.

On Tuesday, Predators President of Hockey Operations and General Manager David Poile painted a not so rosy picture when asked about the status of the negotiations with the 6’5” 215-pound blueliner and his agent.

“We talked about 10 days ago, we haven't talked for a while,” Poile said Tuesday afternoon following his press conference to discuss the signing of then-restricted free agent forward Patric Hornqvist.

In a brief telephone call Friday afternoon, Kotlowitz indicated that the silence between the two sides has ended.

“We have talked this week, and we will continue to talk,” he said before stating he would have no further comment on negotiations.
http://www.examiner.com/nashville-pr...nson-has-ended

Glad to see this news. I think Franson still has a lot of room to grow and am hoping to see him take a step in that direction this season. Still not signed, but he has to know that holding out would be a collossal mistake...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 05:34 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

its probably all just mind games these guys play all the time.

I bet the truth is when poile last talked to fransons agent he said "call me back after we get Hornqvist done then i'll know what i can do with cody..."

Old
08-27-2010, 05:35 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
its probably all just mind games these guys play all the time.

I bet the truth is when poile last talked to fransons agent he said "call me back after we get Hornqvist done then i'll know what i can do with cody..."
probably so

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 08:08 PM
predhead1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
probably so
Probably. But the fact remains that Franson hasn't yet proven himself on the NHL level as a consistent performer and he's staring down the barrel of a pipeline of defensive talent.

predhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 09:27 PM
dulzhok

If Poile is only offering a 2-way deal, I can see why Franson hasn't taken it. Poile set a terrible example by giving Sulzer a one-way deal after 2 NHL games. He gave Cal O'Reily a one-way deal after 11 NHL games. He just gave Jonas Anderson a one-way deal after 5 NHL gaemes, 9 years ago. And we won't give Franson a one-way deal after 6g, 15a, +15?

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 02:19 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
If Poile is only offering a 2-way deal, I can see why Franson hasn't taken it.
I can't see why Poile would be offering a two-way deal or why Franson would have any incentive to take it either due to the fact that he has to clear waivers to be sent to Milwaukee this season.

Last year, while he was the most protected defenseman in the NHL, Franson did establish himself at the NHL level and would be likely claimed by one of the first teams that had priority if he were to go on waivers.

However, as Poile said in his interview this week, Franson needs to be at camp from the first day to insure that he wins a roster spot in Nashville. Until he proves otherwise, all Franson has proved is that he is a No. 6 defenseman that excels at the offensive end of the ice. With the quality and depth of prospects in the organization right now there is no room for Franson or anyone else to slip backwards in their development and keep their spot in the lineup. This is especially true for the offensive defensemen that haven't yet established themselves at the defensive end of the rink since if there's one way to describe the majority of our defensive prospects right now...it's as offensive...

I hope Cody is signed and in camp on time. Anything else would be a disservice to both him and the Predators.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 09:42 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Unless Poile want him to be claimed? R. Ellis could play 9 games, Blum, Sulzer, and Laakso can play in the NHL level.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 01:02 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I assume by "both" you mean Buillon and Franson not Weber and Suter
Of course.

And Ryan I think the hold up on Blum isn't about talent it's about his size...

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 02:44 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Unless Poile want him to be claimed? R. Ellis could play 9 games, Blum, Sulzer, and Laakso can play in the NHL level.
no. Poile wouldnt throw away an asset like franson. If there isnt a spot for him he's trade bait.

Old
08-30-2010, 05:42 PM
glenngineer

If for some reason Franson doesn't sign before camp, he is probably out of a job here. There is too much talent in the pipeline and he needs to earn his spot. Guys like Blum, Josi, Ellis, Laakso and Sulzer all want to play in the NHL and if Cody decides to hold out, one of those guys will displace him on the roster. I like Cody but he'd be foolish not to sign and be at camp. He hasn't earned his stripes enough to pull that kind of stunt.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 12:16 PM
jlsg

Josh reporting he has signed 2 years at 1.6 mil. About right.
http://blogs.tennessean.com/predator...ransons-signs/

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

still going to need another solid dman ... I don't believe Klein - Cube is going to cut it for the 2nd pair

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 12:26 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

good deal. now someone run the numbers and find out where we stand so we can know if we have room for a veteran goalie and/or d-man.

my guess is having to go all the way to 3 mil on hornqvist may mean we can sign one or the other but not both...

Old
09-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

That is one expensive cup o fruit...

But I am very excited!

I had him pegged for 1.8M so I am very pleased with the amount!

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Pattypred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
That is one expensive cup o fruit...

But I am very excited!

I had him pegged for 1.8M so I am very pleased with the amount!

I wonder how many people actually got that.

Pattypred is offline   Reply With Quote