HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

10-11 Central Hockey League season

Closed Thread

Old
08-25-2010, 11:11 AM
Ottawa Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynut12 View Post
Yes, there is a strong Jr B league here. The problem with taking players from there is that most players are either concentrating on school or are fed up with the Jr A antics altogether. But why the Jr A teams would look out east AAA instead of local AAA is anyones guess. Probably because they can and the league allows it.
The draft often becomes a negative for local players and results in them feeling taken advantage of. Team feel they have to sign out of town players or risk losing them, before they sign local players they have drafted. There are positives to the draft but personally I think a player should become a free agent if not signed by August 15th of the year in which they turn 18. Keeping players tied up on "Protect" lists hurts local players since it prevents players who belong in the league from playing there.

Old
08-25-2010, 12:51 PM
BadgerKnight

Cornwall Standard Freeholder-Aug. 25

Article refers to two possible rookies for the Colts. One being the grandson of Bobby Baun, Kyle Baun. Last year he played with the Toronto Jr. Canadians. The other is goalie, Luke Bierworth, who played with Bowmanville last year. When the Bowmanville team was merged with the Cobourg team, Bierworth and a number of other former Bowmanville players declined to play with Cobourg.

http://www.standard-freeholder.com/A...aspx?e=2727492

http://www.network54.com/Forum/44151...g+in++Cobourg-

Old
08-25-2010, 02:50 PM
gusfring

These coaches and GM's go out of town to try and show that they have great connections and can find talent, when local talent gets unfairly ignored.

Plenty of out of towners are brought in and are gone by Christmas - when local players could have outplayed them from the beginning.

Look at last years initial Smiths Falls roster and then at it later.

Old
08-25-2010, 03:19 PM
hockeynut12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
These coaches and GM's go out of town to try and show that they have great connections and can find talent, when local talent gets unfairly ignored.

Plenty of out of towners are brought in and are gone by Christmas - when local players could have outplayed them from the beginning.

Look at last years initial Smiths Falls roster and then at it later.
I think many of them sign because they are promised things that the coaches never come through on. Then, the leave to go play in their home league.

Old
08-25-2010, 08:55 PM
MacM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerKnight View Post
Article refers to two possible rookies for the Colts. One being the grandson of Bobby Baun, Kyle Baun. Last year he played with the Toronto Jr. Canadians. The other is goalie, Luke Bierworth, who played with Bowmanville last year. When the Bowmanville team was merged with the Cobourg team, Bierworth and a number of other former Bowmanville players declined to play with Cobourg.
Per my last post about teams not using local players...this is a great example...if they bring this goalie in, they push a local kid.. probably a product of Cornwall Minor hockey, out. Is the "upgrade" to that position really worth it? Will it make a difference to the Colts long term? If there was that big a difference he would be playing OHL, not in another Jr. Loop.

Old
08-26-2010, 07:35 AM
Ottawa Guy

Personally I think that local players are actually at a disadvantage once drafted. They lose the flexibility to attend multiple camps and teams are not in a hurry to sign them since there is no risk of losing their rights. More players need to tryout in other leagues, and make it, in order to creeate a sense of urgency amongst local teams to sign local players

Old
08-26-2010, 08:55 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Guy View Post
Personally I think that local players are actually at a disadvantage once drafted. They lose the flexibility to attend multiple camps and teams are not in a hurry to sign them since there is no risk of losing their rights. More players need to tryout in other leagues, and make it, in order to creeate a sense of urgency amongst local teams to sign local players
I agree. It seems like the only way local kids play in the league is if their fathers buy the teams.

I'm being a bit facetious, but it's not far off and it's unfortunate.

Old
08-26-2010, 09:32 AM
Vector99

I have to agree with the current thread, it's tough to see local kids held back to sign 19 or 20 year olds parachuted in. Remind me again why local JrA scouts and GMs travel to Boston to recruit! Should there be an "Import" restrictions similar to USHL?

Old
08-26-2010, 11:20 AM
stickhandle

this a good informative board for the CHL, please dont turn it into a sour parent board

Old
08-26-2010, 12:31 PM
Ottawa Guy

Just to clarify, I am not saying that teams should not be signing players from outside the area. That is junior hockey and it happens everywhere.

However I do think the league should be doing their best to get every local kid that has the ability to play in the league, just not sure the current system in which players are drafted then protected achieves this. Presently there seems to be too many cases where local kids play Jr B or Midget when they appear to be every bit as good as players brought in from other areas. The reason is that teams feel have to give up something (a draft pick or player or PDF) in order to get the protected local player whereas they can get an equivalent non-local player at no or little cost.

Old
08-26-2010, 01:38 PM
hockeynut12

Quote:
Just to clarify, I am not saying that teams should not be signing players from outside the area. That is junior hockey and it happens everywhere.

However I do think the league should be doing their best to get every local kid that has the ability to play in the league, just not sure the current system in which players are drafted then protected achieves this. Presently there seems to be too many cases where local kids play Jr B or Midget when they appear to be every bit as good as players brought in from other areas. The reason is that teams feel have to give up something (a draft pick or player or PDF) in order to get the protected local player whereas they can get an equivalent non-local player at no or little cost.
I think paying for the outsider to have a home and eat etc would be more than having to buy the local kid off of another team altogether.

Old
08-26-2010, 02:29 PM
Ottawa Guy

You are assuming all teams pay billet costs, many do not, especially for first year players.

Old
08-26-2010, 03:25 PM
chlfan99

carleton place kicked off there training camp this morning with fitness testing and i went to see the run and to my complete suprise, kane abis-mills is not with hawksbury anymore but in carleton place...

Old
08-26-2010, 06:54 PM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlfan99 View Post
carleton place kicked off there training camp this morning with fitness testing and i went to see the run and to my complete suprise, kane abis-mills is not with hawksbury anymore but in carleton place...
Probably refused to report and is on a permission to skate. He lives in CP. I do not think he ever lived up to what SF expected from him, maybe a fresh start will change that.

Old
08-27-2010, 12:38 AM
voiceofytown

Quote:
You are assuming all teams pay billet costs, many do not, especially for first year players.
one would assume all teams pay for billeting costs as in food. Most top notch Junior A programs do.

Old
08-27-2010, 08:27 AM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofytown View Post
one would assume all teams pay for billeting costs as in food. Most top notch Junior A programs do.
Not always the case, for instance most people would consider Brockville a top notch program, one of their players I know pays something like $300-$350/month billeting.

Old
08-27-2010, 11:49 AM
BadgerKnight

O'Neil off to Islanders rookie camp

Current Brampton Battalion & former Kemptville 73s forward Alex O'Neil is headed to the New York Islanders rookie camp. He’s made the shortlist of 12 forwards who have been invited to try out.

http://www.yourottawaregion.com/news...y-from-the-nhl

Old
08-27-2010, 11:51 AM
Ottawa Guy

Apparently Livingston changed his mind and reported to Bears camp today, anyone able to confirm?

Old
08-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Hockeybrat

Most times the player does pay to some extent for billeting, usually running around $300 a month

Was talking to people in cobourg close to coaching staff & inquired about Bierworth, they said he never declined to report , cobourg informed him goalie from previous year at D1 school returning & he was on the trading block

Old
08-27-2010, 02:05 PM
GoalieGuru

Not positive about this.........but...... Not sure if players can except Teams paying for their billeting, would that not be against NCAA Regulations? Even food being given to them away from the rink may be against Reguslations and may qualify a player to be Re Flagged by NCAA.

Old
08-27-2010, 06:10 PM
Ottawa Guy

Kanata Stallions - acquired Brent Bisdee from Gloucester in exchange for Jordan Fequet.

Cornwall Colts - acquired Craig Laliberte and a player development fee from the Kingston Voyageurs in exchange for Chris Mason.

Old
08-27-2010, 07:20 PM
BadgerKnight

Craig Laliberte

Quote:
Cornwall Colts - acquired Craig Laliberte and a player development fee from the Kingston Voyageurs in exchange for Chris Mason.
Posted by Wayne Lewis on August 4 2010, 11:00 AM entitled “From the Vees' web site”. “One tough player to replace will be forward Craig Laliberte, who has opted to attend school at Niagara College. Laliberte won a Midget National Championship three years ago and played a role in the Vees run to the National Championship two years ago and last season finished third on the team in scoring with 57 points.”
http://www.network54.com/Forum/44151...r+a+new+season

Noticed C. Laliberte is dressed Friday night for the Welland Canadians of the GOJHL in his 2nd pre-season game. Will Laliberte be forgoing/delaying his education to come to the Colts?

Old
08-27-2010, 09:37 PM
dirk

Fequet to Gloucester...does that end the Darou trade rumour???

Old
08-28-2010, 08:39 AM
JackalsKnuckles

I am hoping to catch a few Central League games on roadtrips this year at probably Cornwall and Smiths Falls.

Can anyone elaborate on the new fighting rule as outlined below?

http://cjhlhockey.com/news/news_detail.html?newsID=178

Is it true that it is now 1 fight and done? The article was a little confusing. I know the league never had a huge amount of fights but will this effect the style or play or the attendance?

Thanks

Old
08-28-2010, 04:58 PM
BadgerKnight

Colts split home & home with the Vees

Although not reported on our local league's Poinstreak page, Kingston edged the Colts 4-3 this afternoon. Here is the boxscore URL
http://www.pointstreak.com/prostats/...gameid=1357814

Closed Thread