HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Four Faces of the NYR.

Old
08-25-2010, 11:49 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
Jagr did a lot for the Rangers.

And ill always remember the 05-06 season, for personal reasons. But ontop of the personal reasons, it was the year the Rangers were an underdog and overacheived and brought respectability back to the organization.

It was a fun winter.

And Jagr became one of my all-time favorite players.

But I wouldn't put him with some of the Ranger greats.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 09:52 AM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Jagr did a lot for the Rangers.

And ill always remember the 05-06 season, for personal reasons. But ontop of the personal reasons, it was the year the Rangers were an underdog and overacheived and brought respectability back to the organization.

It was a fun winter.

And Jagr became one of my all-time favorite players.

But I wouldn't put him with some of the Ranger greats.
I just don't see the case for Jagr.
Even though Messier won a fistful of cups with Edmonton, and 1 here, he's definitely an ALL-TIME Ranger for helping to end the drought. But Jagr has titles elsewhere and none here. Sure he was a good, even great Ranger at times, but he's not ALL-TIME great. There's no doubt that he could've been better, had the teams been better around him (see: Sather's deficiencies). The other 3 were ALL-TIME greats.

I'd argue for Richter or Gilbert, but most strongly for Giacomin. The guy defines a period when the fanbase was so loyal to the one guy who gave everything, every night. If he were playing in the 90's, there's no doubt in my mind you could've swapped out Richter for him and still won.
That's no disrespect to Richter- a top 5 goalie of the last two decades. I think had you put Richter back in Eddie's shoes, the fanbase would've been so loyal to him they would've drowned out the anthem were he to return in a visiting uniform.
just my .02.

Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 11:10 AM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Frank Boucher
Rod Gilbert
Brian Leetch
Mark Messier

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 11:54 AM
DutchShamrock

Ahead of Jagr, which is not meant as disrespect, Emile Francis, Richter, Gilbert, Giacomin, Les Patrick, Lundqvist... If you can justify Jagr, can't you make a case for Lindros or Esposito?

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 12:01 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

jagr helped turn the franchise around. there is no doubt about it.

with that said, Henrik had an equal role in turning us around at the same point jagr did...and henrik will be here for a LOOOOONG time.

Henrik should be one of the 4 faces imho.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 12:15 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

i wholeheartedly disagree with the list I think if I made my own it would be: Redden, Jessiman, Holik, and Eric Lindros

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 04:27 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
i wholeheartedly disagree with the list I think if I made my own it would be: Redden, Jessiman, Holik, and Eric Lindros
LOL totally...but Lindros?

Mine would be Redden, Roszival, Quintal, and John Muckler.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 08:57 PM
DutchShamrock

Fleury, Kamensky, Malik, Poti

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 09:03 PM
hlundqvist30*

Just four faces of Sean Avery

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 09:19 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
lets not forget in Jagr's last year...he was "saving himself" for the play-offs. which means his frustrating,lackluster performance during the regular season was by design. Had he reached 84 points or earned an award, his contract would have been automatically extended for one year. He simply didn't play hard enough to hit the 84 points. He was disgruntled with the Gomez and Drury signings, and took it upon himself to have Dubi (a rookie) as his center just to spite. IMO...He caused his own exit.

Have to admit...the only person who reaped the benefits from Jagr's grumpiness is DUBI. Jagr did do a nice job bringing him along. Jagr being the diva that he is... wanted only Dubi as his center.Not Gomez, and especially NOT Drury.
You should have started this with IMO not waited until the end to do that.

If you dislike the guy, that's fine. Nobody's asking you to like them. But don't act like what you're saying is fact.

Saving it up for the playoffs wasn't something that bothered me. Jagr was the only real goal scorer on that team, and he was old. The guy is too honest sometimes. He says things even when hre shouldn't. That was absolutely the wrong thing to say but if you ever listened to Jagr you knew where his heart was.

I don't think he was disgruntled with the Drury and Gomez signings. I just think they both sucked, and neither one of them is a good with Jagr. That was clear as day. Dubi was the best fit, it wasn't out of spite. If you can't watch the game and see that, then I don't know what to say.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 08:16 AM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post

Henrik should be one of the 4 faces imho.
over richter? wow.

Old
08-27-2010, 09:38 AM
Chief

Even though Jagr does hold the record for most goals and points in a season, the problem is he wasn't a Ranger long enough and he didn't lead the team to a Cup. If he's been succesful with the club for 10 years or led them to a Cup, then it'd be a different story.

I understand the argument the guy who picked the 4 was making but it's flawed. Jagr didn't really make the Rangers "relevent" again. He just helped make them better.

I think Lundqvist makes more sense from this era because he's had a more lasting impact. No way do 4 guys from the '94 team deserve to be in this top 4. They picked the right two with Mess and Leetch. I'd have gone with Mess, Leetch and two of Bathgate, Howell or Gilbert (hard for me to decide from the last 3 because I only Gilbert play a little and didn't see the others at all).

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 09:42 AM
TomLaidlaw

Henrik makes our mountain much better looking.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 10:26 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Henrik makes our mountain much better looking.
Would Henrik's head have a headache at playoff time?

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 11:16 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgraced Cosmonaut View Post
I just don't see the case for Jagr.
Even though Messier won a fistful of cups with Edmonton, and 1 here, he's definitely an ALL-TIME Ranger for helping to end the drought. But Jagr has titles elsewhere and none here. Sure he was a good, even great Ranger at times, but he's not ALL-TIME great. There's no doubt that he could've been better, had the teams been better around him (see: Sather's deficiencies). The other 3 were ALL-TIME greats.

I'd argue for Richter or Gilbert, but most strongly for Giacomin. The guy defines a period when the fanbase was so loyal to the one guy who gave everything, every night. If he were playing in the 90's, there's no doubt in my mind you could've swapped out Richter for him and still won.
That's no disrespect to Richter- a top 5 goalie of the last two decades. I think had you put Richter back in Eddie's shoes, the fanbase would've been so loyal to him they would've drowned out the anthem were he to return in a visiting uniform.
just my .02.
Richter is my favorite player of all time. He is NOT however a top 5 goalie of the last two decades. Not even close actually.

I think that there's definitely room for interpretation, but the fact of the matter is b/w guys like Richter, Gilbert, Ratelle, Giacomin, Graves, Park and the pre 1950 stars, there's really no excuse for Jagr being #4

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 02:25 PM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
Richter is my favorite player of all time. He is NOT however a top 5 goalie of the last two decades. Not even close actually.

I think that there's definitely room for interpretation, but the fact of the matter is b/w guys like Richter, Gilbert, Ratelle, Giacomin, Graves, Park and the pre 1950 stars, there's really no excuse for Jagr being #4
this is interesting to me. no disrespect, but your statement makes you seem like a stats guy, which is fair.

outside of the big 3 of roy, brodeur, and hasek, there's no guy from the last two decades that i think was leaps and bounds better than richter. eddie the eagle was great, so was cujo. obviously they have more wins. you can definitely make a case that they were better than mike, but having watched all three, i don't think they were so much better than mike that many people would accept him as "not even close" to them. he's in the mix. in fact, i think had richter been on better teams, he'd have put up better numberes. do you think either of those guys would've made the rangers better than richter? those guys both played for better teams. imagine mike richter had played for detroit. had the rangers been managed better over the course of richter's career he might've had 400 wins. it sounds absurd, but there it is. just my opinion. his lateral mobility was on par with anyones'.

turco was good for a bit. meh. i don't even want to get into vernon and osgood. again, imagine mike richter had played for detroit.

the newer guys like kiprusoff and luongo have had some great seasons but i wouldn't put them above richter in a meaningful way. and yes there have been flash in the pans out there that have had a great season or two...

whatever. just my opinion. mike's not my favorite player, but i think that he's a top 5 goalie in most of the seasons he played.
(ftr- my pick for #4 face would be giacomin.)

Last edited by Disgraced Cosmonaut: 08-27-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old
08-27-2010, 02:28 PM
Matteau Matteau

Eric Lindros, Anson Carter, Bobby Holik and Jamie Lundmark

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote