HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Engels: "if the Canadiens are not interested in Guerin, they're foolish"

Old
08-27-2010, 08:55 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

vCash: 500
Big no to Guerin. He showed during the playoffs he is almost done. Gainey tried pursuing him in the past and he shot him down, I heard he doesn't want to play in Canada.

I am glad this team no longer signs guys like this that have refused to join this team while they are in their primes i.e. Shanny, Guerin, Gagne.

11Goat11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 09:03 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Billy G is not my favorite,
he's too washed up, and can't skate good anymore,
I hope the Habs show him the door (him the door, him the door, OOOH!)

But yeah, no. Habs top 6 is pretty much set and the bottom 6 has way too many options already. I'd like his experience, but unfortunately that's all he brings off AND on the ice.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 09:06 AM
Megaforce

Pens fans said that he was so bad in the playoffs that they suspected he was auditioning for his Ukranian passport.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 09:06 AM
Pavelec4MVP
MVP! MVP! MVP!

terrible signing
and the cap says hello
unless he wants a welfare check he isnt going to be signed unless someone is traded

Pavelec4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 09:08 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeHockey View Post
Interested in the key word here. And that being said, I agree with Engels. The Habs need to be interested in a player of this stature. That doesn't mean that if the Habs don't sign him, they're foolish, because the price may not be right and Guerin may not even want to come to Montreal.

Really, what's not to like about Guerin?

-He's a multiple Stanley Cup winner. Who cares?..Shall we go after Chelios as well?
-He's a big, physical player who was one of the best power forwards in the game in his prime, and still can score 20+ goals. Along side Crosby yea. In a ''defensive'' system like ours?..Highly doubt it.
-He's reputed to be a no-nonsense guy and a good leader. We have enough leaders on our team.
-He'd likely take a 1 year deal in the 1-1.5M range. Hope so, otherwise he's likely moving to Russia
-He knows how to park his a$$ in front of the net, something guys like AK and Pouliot need to learn to do consistently. You can't teach someone how to park your ass in front of the net. You either want to do it or you don't. Pouliot and A.Ko aren't having difficulties about how to obstruct and annoy a keeper, they simply rarely park themselves in front of the net bcuz it's not their game. Just like it wasn't Latendresse's.

I actually see him on a line with Boyd and Eller. Or if Pouliot or AK fails, Guerin could play with Plekanec and Cammalleri.
We have a team that has speed as one of its main attributes. Guerin is just a little faster than Gill. Even though he still plays that aggressive style, he's really old and you can't expect him to be that dominant for that role anymore.
We have young players that could be ready to make a jump and spend a year in NHL like MaxPac and White. Considering Boyd and Eller will start the season here, we also have Darche-Pyatt-Lappy-Moen. That's 8 players for our bottom 6, we don't need an extra one.
We won't win the cup this year, and are well positioned to make interesting changes next summer with the number of FAs we will have. I rather use this season to evaluate how far off or good our youngsters can perform and then adapt next summer, than waist a roster spot on an old man that will probably contribute very little.

There's just no point in bringing him in. We have no need for a bottom liner aging veteran. Like MathMan pointed out, what we would truly need is a big top 6 winger.
This could make our team significantly better especially if a 3rd line of Pouliot-Eller-MaxPac would be capable of producing their fair share of points.

We also only have 4.1M in cap space now. Price will get at least 2.2M. So we will barely have 2M available to us in the best scenario possible. Waisting another million on Guerin would be stupid. I'd rather we keep that cap space in case we need to make minor adjustments throughout the year.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 09:10 AM
Nedved

avtsin will need that spot by december. yeah, believe the hype folks. this guy is the real deal.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 09:11 AM
Habitants

Guerin eww no way i would waste money or roster spot on him.

should have signed asham instead.

i agree the habs need size and muscle, but he is not the answer

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 09:11 AM
Miller Time

on the one hand, his skating, age and "wear and tear" scares me...

on the other hand, he's a seasoned vet who has had an excellent career, he's known as a good leader, he plays the game the way few (read none) of our current forwards do and thus could be an important mentor for some of our younger guys, while bringing a missing ingredient to our lineup, and most importantly, his production - despite his diminishing physical skills- has remained relatively consistent.

9 pts in 11 games in the playoffs last year, 24pts (11 goals) in 35 games over the past 2 playoffs... yes playing with Crosby at times helps, but nonetheless, that's solid production from a depth veteran.

IF he's interested in a third line/mentoring role (perhaps with the assurance that he'll get opportunities in the top 6/PP in response to injuries/slumps) , and IF he's willing to sign for under 1.5M$, then I think he's a good fit.

Guerin- Eller- Boyd would be a nice looking third line assuming they were able to develop any kind of consistency.

being a slower player is not the complete disaster some around here make it out to be. ESPECIALLY in the case of a grizzled vet who plays a PF style of game anyhow. Guerin knows his own limitations quite well, and knows the game enough to still contribute despite them.

what's the worst case scenario? if he's struggling to the point that he can't even be helpful in a 4th line role (does anyone really think he'd be less useful than Darche??) then we waive him.

i think that having Eller, A.Kost, Pouliot, MaxPac, Boyd etc practicing with and around Guerin all year would be worth the 1-1.5M$ in and of itself... Those young guys would surely benefit from some of the experience/wisdom that a guy like Guerin has to offer, and if Guerin is remotely interested in the mentoring role, all of them could learn a thing or to about how to play a PF's game.

i hope that PG is at least kicking the tires on that one.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 09:17 AM
JrHockeyFan

Signing a Guerin is something the Leafs always used to do

We're trying to win games, not trade hockey cards

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 09:19 AM
Mats NAslund

I'd bring in Guerin at 1.2 ish million per year.

Gionta Gomez Guerin
Cammalleri Plekanec AK
Pouliot Eller Lapierre
Moen Pyatt Boyd
Darche

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 09:39 AM
number 11

no way. he's got nothing left in the tank, why else are the pens getting rid of him? he slowed them down in the playoffs last year and for a team built on speed it would be completely detrimental to our chemistry.

Engels, you are the foolish one !

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 09:39 AM
sampollock

no room for him

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 09:43 AM
barneyg

Pens fan lurking here -- I wouldn't do it. The guy can no longer be consistently useful in a top 6 spot. It's not like he's streaky, just that he no longer has the wheels, so he's not as often right place/right time as he once was. Sure he can still crash the net, but chances are, once he gets there, the action is already somewhere else.

His numbers are deceiving because he got so many opportunities, playing 1st PP unit all year and on the 1st line with Crosby and Kunitz. The problem is not with the numbers he got, but what he did in-between. In that regard he's not all that different from M-A Bergeron -- sure he'll contribute to the PP, and perhaps here and there, but what do you do with him between those flashes of greatness? For Guerin to put up the same numbers he'd need to replace Gionta on the top PP unit, which IMO is ridiculous.

I'd give Boyd a chance in the top six before I went after Guerin. I'd sign Dawes or take a flier on O'Sullivan before Guerin. Even a guy like McAmmond would be more versatile and ultimately more useful to the Habs than Guerin.

barneyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 09:43 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
he would have to sign for very cheap and take a reduced role, like people mentioned, he is slower than molases.

Guys for VERY cheap, i wouldnt mind:

Belanger
Kariya
Tucker
Stempniak
Maltby
Mair
Mcgrattan (lesser extent)

etc, to give a verteran and/or grittier umph to the bottom 6
To play the odd games against Toronto, Boston and Philadelphia.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 09:48 AM
ScopeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Pens fan lurking here -- I wouldn't do it. The guy can no longer be consistently useful in a top 6 spot. It's not like he's streaky, just that he no longer has the wheels, so he's not as often right place/right time as he once was. Sure he can still crash the net, but chances are, once he gets there, the action is already somewhere else.

His numbers are deceiving because he got so many opportunities, playing 1st PP unit all year and on the 1st line with Crosby and Kunitz. The problem is not with the numbers he got, but what he did in-between. In that regard he's not all that different from M-A Bergeron -- sure he'll contribute to the PP, and perhaps here and there, but what do you do with him between those flashes of greatness? For Guerin to put up the same numbers he'd need to replace Gionta on the top PP unit, which IMO is ridiculous.

I'd give Boyd a chance in the top six before I went after Guerin. I'd sign Dawes or take a flier on O'Sullivan before Guerin. Even a guy like McAmmond would be more versatile and ultimately more useful to the Habs than Guerin.
Thanks for the insight. Very well thought out and useful. Definitely changed my mind.

I was liking the idea of Guerin because you guys scored about 3 goals on us in the playoffs last year due to Guerin's presence in front of the net. That, we can use. But if the guy is a dud 5-on-5, then no thanks.

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 09:53 AM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
If he would consider half a million enough for a 1 year contract, then welcome Bill, otherwise no thanks.

People considering him completely wash up are people who were expecting way too much out of him. Playing with Crosby???? As a 1st line winger???? No surprise people think he's done, there's no way he's still capable of playing at that level. That said, Guerin on the 3rd or 4th line could bring some interesting attributes to the habs and could fill in a higher spot in case of injuries.

I doubt he'd take under a million however, so no dice.

Anksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 10:02 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
Where exactly would he fit in the line up?

if we take guerin, he only fits on the bottom six? even then a young guy would not be able to move up then.
I think he would fit in nicely with Eller on the 3rd line, and occasionally with the top 6 if there are injuries or players struggling.

Honestly, we will have some cap space left....if we could get him for 1yr/1million i'd totally do it. He can contribute on a 3rd line, gives us a RH shot on the PP, and veteran leadership. I'd rather have him on the lineup card than a Darche for example.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 10:09 AM
Macs

Guerin as an assistant coach?

Macs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 10:12 AM
BLONG7

He's toast guys....

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 10:14 AM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macs View Post
Guerin as an assistant coach?
That's what I was gonna say. He could mentor the kids while staying off the ice!

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 10:19 AM
Habs

would rather have had Gregory Stewart.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 10:26 AM
Jakomyte

The most important qualities a skater need to fit in MTL's system are:
- skating
- strong two-way play

...Guerin has neither of these things. Why do you think we got rid of Latendresse and Chipchura? Not because they are ****** players, but because they are SLOW!

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 10:29 AM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Well I agree in part, habs managing staff are foolish.

Now Guerin, I'm not so sure about getting him without say... shipping AKost out.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 10:37 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Now Guerin, I'm not so sure about getting him without say... shipping AKost out.
Why would the Habs want to swap AKost with Guerin? AKost is a true top-6 player and a key component of the Habs' forward lines. Guerin can't fill his role at this stage in his career.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 10:41 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post
Big no to Guerin. He showed during the playoffs he is almost done. Gainey tried pursuing him in the past and he shot him down, I heard he doesn't want to play in Canada.

I am glad this team no longer signs guys like this that have refused to join this team while they are in their primes i.e. Shanny, Guerin, Gagne.
Shanny never rejected us. He just chose NYR over us, he wanted to come here though. Gagne stayed in philly all his career until now, so not like he ditched us for a different team on july 1st.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote