HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Engels: "if the Canadiens are not interested in Guerin, they're foolish"

Old
08-27-2010, 11:45 AM
WestIslander

vCash: 500
I would give him a two year $2,000,000.00 contract

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Kostitsyn
Guerin - Gomez - Gionta
Pouliot - Eller - Lapierre
Pyatt - Boyd - Moen

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 11:54 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
A power forward,we don't need that.I like Guerin,1 year max tho

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 12:11 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
A power forward,we don't need that
No, unless he can push the puck up and make us spend more time in the offensive zone, we really don't.

Which is why getting Penner makes sense, Guerin not so much. (Ignoring the salary and trades-that-will-never-happen considerations, of course.)

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 12:37 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Dunno what he's looking for, but him, or even worse Owen Nolan, say, if they're down to taking $1M/1years, I'd be willing to take them. They aren't really good players anymore. But they generally know what it takes and can still chip in, and can offer at least one degree of basic insurance on Pouliot/AK not stepping up.

Habs don't seem interested in insurance policies, and seem more confident about the younger players stepping up, however, and that's fair enough too.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Dunno what he's looking for, but him, or even worse Owen Nolan, say, if they're down to taking $1M/1years, I'd be willing to take them. They aren't really good players anymore. But they generally know what it takes and can still chip in, and can offer at least one degree of basic insurance on Pouliot/AK not stepping up.

Habs don't seem interested in insurance policies, and seem more confident about the younger players stepping up, however, and that's fair enough too.
I agree he bring dept in case of injuries, can play in front of the net on the PP and help our 3rd line. if we can sign him 1 year for cheap he can only help us

he can become a better Metropolit for us

Last edited by Quarantesix: 08-27-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 12:42 PM
TankEller*

I would sign either Guerin or Nolan for a reasonable price tag. Anything so Lapierre isn't playing on the 3rd line.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 12:43 PM
Thinkbig

Damn I just lost all my respect to Engels...

The Pitts board wanted Guerin out for the whole season and here in Mtl we supposedly need him?????

No wonder why he still works for eklund.

Thinkbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 12:47 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkbig View Post
Damn I just lost all my respect to Engels...

The Pitts board wanted Guerin out for the whole season and here in Mtl we supposedly need him?????

No wonder why he still works for eklund.
Pittsburg probably had enough of him playing on top line.

We have a spot on the 3rd if he's willing to take it. If he merits top 6 time, fine, but if he doesn't, he can stay on 3rd line.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 12:52 PM
RBR

Quote:

I would much rather have Nolan than Guerin, but that's probably the Sharks fan in me talking. Guerin = playoff dud (and now regular season too), Nolan = warrior.

RBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 12:52 PM
The Nightman

I rather not waste a roster spot on a washed up 3rd liner when instead we could have a young guy playing.

The Nightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 12:54 PM
LeMAD

Guerin should have retired a few years ago.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 12:58 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SJSharkie1 View Post
I would much rather have Nolan than Guerin, but that's probably the Sharks fan in me talking. Guerin = playoff dud (and now regular season too), Nolan = warrior.
In general me too, in specific to what the Habs might need, I am seeing Guerin with 20 goals, and if we were going to sign an extreme-veteran player, I'd like to see one who I thought had at least some outside shot of stepping up into a top-6 role. I don't really have huge confidence that Guerin really could do even that, mind you. And I don't really think he could contribute much/anything in the bottom-6 either. But the top-6 need would still feel more acute, if it materialized, than a bottom-6 need would. Anyway, I don't see Nolan having even an outside chance at filling in to a top-6 role. Maybe I'm wrong. But he would be better in the bottom-6 than Guerin would. Maybe it's more of a wash even for the Habs needs.

I'd feel pretty comfortable waiting until either one signed elsewhere or got even more desperate, though. Not that at their age with what they should have in their bank accounts by now the word "desperate" exactly applies... "hungry", say.

Old
08-27-2010, 12:59 PM
yianik

I would have gone for Torres over Guerin at $1M for one season. Torres would have been for the bottom 6, but he could also have gone into the top 6 if some jam was needed as he is a around a 20 goal kind of guy. I think the Canucks did well in getting him. I don't see Guerin being helpful on the ice at this stage of his career.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABbiest View Post
I rather not waste a roster spot on a washed up 3rd liner when instead we could have a young guy playing.
I'd rather waste a roster spot on a veteran not playing much than a young guy with upside sitting on the bench/in the pressbox not playing much.

Old
08-27-2010, 01:11 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Well Engels....I'll gladly be called foolish. 'Cause I don't want him.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 01:17 PM
The Nightman

Quote:
I'd rather waste a roster spot on a veteran not playing much than a young guy with upside sitting on the bench/in the pressbox not playing much.
...Or we can make our third line useful and play them, Something like an energy line? Somebody like White could play well with lapierre and Boyd which would create a up tempo style of play which is useful. Im not talking about playing a future first or second liner on the third or fourth line. I'm simply saying instead of wasting 1m on Guerin we could use one of our young guys who will become a third liner in the future and can actually keep up with todays NHL.

The Nightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 01:17 PM
Rammztar

Send a message via MSN to Rammztar
I started a thread not so long ago about this possibility and no one agreed that we must sign him to a cheap deal.

I still think we could benefit from his presence and his right handed shot and i'm happy that someone is thinking the same way...

Eric Engels has good hockey knowledge so I was not that foolish after all....

I'm all for signing him except if the habs give a regular spot to Ryan White.....that would be ok for me too.

Rammztar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 01:21 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
We have a team that has speed as one of its main attributes. Guerin is just a little faster than Gill. Even though he still plays that aggressive style, he's really old and you can't expect him to be that dominant for that role anymore.
We have young players that could be ready to make a jump and spend a year in NHL like MaxPac and White. Considering Boyd and Eller will start the season here, we also have Darche-Pyatt-Lappy-Moen. That's 8 players for our bottom 6, we don't need an extra one.
We won't win the cup this year, and are well positioned to make interesting changes next summer with the number of FAs we will have. I rather use this season to evaluate how far off or good our youngsters can perform and then adapt next summer, than waist a roster spot on an old man that will probably contribute very little.

There's just no point in bringing him in. We have no need for a bottom liner aging veteran. Like MathMan pointed out, what we would truly need is a big top 6 winger.
This could make our team significantly better especially if a 3rd line of Pouliot-Eller-MaxPac would be capable of producing their fair share of points.

We also only have 4.1M in cap space now. Price will get at least 2.2M. So we will barely have 2M available to us in the best scenario possible. Waisting another million on Guerin would be stupid. I'd rather we keep that cap space in case we need to make minor adjustments throughout the year.
This.

I'm someone that believes the habs are currently too small up front on their top 2 lines and would puke if the habs signed him.

Engels is out to lunch.

EDIT:

Hell, just as an eye opener, consider this..

The pens are absolutely terrible on the wing. Their best wingers are Talbot, Kunitz and Dupuis. That's how much they suck on the wing, yet... they don't want Guerin back. That's how bad Guerin is now.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 01:25 PM
Santino

if they were to sign him, i can see him used as a tough veteran presence on the bottom 6( preferably the 4th line). He's no longer a top 6 caliber type player and no way he can keep up with our speedy top 2 lines.

Santino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 01:26 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
The only way I could see the Habs being remotely interested in Guerin would be to fill Metro's place (right handed shot) on the PP.

Personally I would pass as he's not half the player he was just a few years ago.

- Ken Dryden
Habs10Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 01:28 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
This.

I'm someone that believes the habs are currently too small up front on their top 2 lines and would puke if the habs signed him.

Engels is out to lunch.

EDIT:

Hell, just as an eye opener, consider this..

The pens are absolutely terrible on the wing. Their best wingers are Talbot, Kunitz and Dupuis. That's how much they suck on the wing, yet... they don't want Guerin back. That's how bad Guerin is now.
I guess you've never seen Lapierre being used with good offensive players?

Old
08-27-2010, 01:35 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
I guess you've never seen Lapierre being used with good offensive players?
Are you telling me Lapierre could have the same type of offensive production if he were to play top minutes with Crosby ? I'm not sure if I get what you're trying to tell me here.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 01:36 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Are you telling me Lapierre could have the same type of offensive production if he were to play top minutes with Crosby ? I'm not sure if I get what you're trying to tell me here.
He's freakin' terrible. An offensive blackhole. I don't want him anywhere near Eller.

Old
08-27-2010, 02:07 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
According to the Pittsburgh Post, Guerin wants to stay in the good old USA.
His first choice would be Boston

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 03:09 PM
Macbeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
Seriously...He was so bad during playoffs, he woulda been in the pressbox if those 2 Ukranian wingers weren't worse.
Oh yeah, real bad.

9 points in 11 games bad, I guess.

Macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote