HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Lightning sign defenseman Randy Jones

Old
08-26-2010, 08:32 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
Yes, he's gone!
Wasn't he gone already?

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 08:43 PM
Bolt32

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Sorry, also, does that mean that you feel that Lashof Smaby and Mihalik are going to either never make the NHL or possibly be among the worst in the league if they do because I thought that Smaby and Mihalik had a little bit of upside. You would know more about them then me by way far but I had thought that they weren't truly awful d.
Smaby has proven he can be a solid bottom 6 guy as shown a couple of seasons ago when he did it with a broken foot. Arugably our best defensemen then. Last season he never really hit his stride and it really made his great season the season before look like a fluke. Last season could of been an example of ruined confidence though by being dicked around by management and Tocc. I think this year we will really find out whether or not hes a solid bottom 6 shut down defensemen, or that season was in fact a fluke.

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 09:06 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
It was a joke.

So if anyone's ********, it's the guys that can't take a joke. In fact, it was more of a jab at the Flyers' organization than anything else.

But then again, what's better ego-stroking than picking a fight with a Staff Writer?

Honestly, I don't care.
Staff Writer? What the hell have you wrote besides terribly untrue trade proposals and trying to convince us its a logical deal? Or that Mezsaros is a great #2 defenseman? Or that you never have been wrong, ever until your awful tirade in the Gagne deal?

Self-arrogance isn't something to be proud of. You have a green name the rest of us have red, congratulations.

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 09:35 PM
no name

This guy WILL cost his team games. I honestly feel that he is the most irresponsible and dumb player in the NHL. He's getting paid not because of the team scouted him out and wanted him, it's because he's got a handfull of goals on his stat line. He gets those goals by screwing his partner. Jack Johnson is the happiest guy in the world right now for not having this clown beside him.

He can't hold the puck in. He can't pass. He's never where he should be. He abandons the puck and runs away from a hit. He CAN shoot but it isn't even close to worth it. Just a miserable hockey player.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 09:57 PM
TBLHoser

If he's really that bad, then I would say that they could've gotten someone better at that price especially if he's playing in Norfolk. Can't believe there's this much action on this guy to begin with....

TBLHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 01:38 AM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilGagner89 View Post
Wasn't he gone already?
There were rumors about re-signing him.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 04:28 AM
janecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yayamo View Post
Jones is a mediocre #6-#7 defenseman with a bit of offensive upside. This contract seems about right for a #6-#7 defenseman with a bit of offensive upside.
It's not though. $1m pretty much means you have to be a solid #6 at worst. Many teams have their #6 below $1m, some teams (like Philly or Toronto) a little more. I doubt Yzerman would be so desperate as to sign a depth defenseman for $1m, so I have to think he sees Jones as an everyday player for his team.

janecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 04:35 AM
RAZZIE King
König von Schaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by janecky View Post
It's not though. $1m pretty much means you have to be a solid #6 at worst. Many teams have their #6 below $1m, some teams (like Philly or Toronto) a little more. I doubt Yzerman would be so desperate as to sign a depth defenseman for $1m, so I have to think he sees Jones as an everyday player for his team.
More like a solid #2...and I'm NOT talking defenseman...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 04:53 AM
AUSTRIANbolt

Just wait 2 months - if Yzerman doesn't like what he sees, he will make a call and within 2 days Jones will be back in Philly again. You know he can do this

AUSTRIANbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 05:08 AM
Tomas W

Will be interesting to follow this guy...who is right SY or HFB? Dont know much about him personally, other than that he had trouble with the Sedins in the first playoff round. If he has a good offensive upside, then maybe if you got a good defensive center playing with him when he's out on the ice, he might be alright?

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 05:15 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

^ I think the fans are right about him. Yzerman is very smart, but how many Randy Jones games has he watched? Flyers and Kings fans watched nearly every game he played for their franchises and they both think he's awful. I think that tells you all you need to know.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 05:47 AM
Canucks5551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
Will be interesting to follow this guy...who is right SY or HFB? Dont know much about him personally, other than that he had trouble with the Sedins in the first playoff round. If he has a good offensive upside, then maybe if you got a good defensive center playing with him when he's out on the ice, he might be alright?
He didn't just have trouble with the Sedins, they pretty much had a guaranteed goal when he was on the ice.

Canucks5551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 05:58 AM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
^ I think the fans are right about him. Yzerman is very smart, but how many Randy Jones games has he watched? Flyers and Kings fans watched nearly every game he played for their franchises and they both think he's awful. I think that tells you all you need to know.
Yzerman may not have seen a lot of him but Wayne Fleming did coach him.

08-27-2010, 06:18 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
Why do some people making such a big deal out of this? It’s not like Stevie signed him for long term of something... It’s a 1 year deal people, sky is not falling , If he doesn’t work out they will send him on his way the year after.
Because both the Kings and the Flyers have a big HF base. Had Jones played in Minnesota and Dallas this thread wouldn't reach the 3rd page.

Also, he sucks.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 07:44 AM
The Fuhr

Bolts have 12-13 million in cap space
1.0 1Yr is nothing for a number 6-7... it has no effect on there cap situation this season or next.

He sucks in the role a depth guy like Lashoff or Smaby takes his spot
It's 1.0

There is absolutely no risk for the Bolts. Jones has no impact on the cap and is gone in a year

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 08:10 AM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

I suspect they're hoping he can replace some of Foster's offense. He doesn't have to play a ton at even strength to do that.

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 10:39 AM
Stryker78

Nobody talk about Paul Ranger. What happen to the guy ???? He left for personal reason and never came back.

Can somebody tell me what's wrong with him ??????

Stryker78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 10:44 AM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker78 View Post
Nobody talk about Paul Ranger. What happen to the guy ???? He left for personal reason and never came back.

Can somebody tell me what's wrong with him ??????
He likes deep sea fishing more than hockey.

Going Back to Cally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 10:45 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Ouch.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 11:21 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
It was a joke.

So if anyone's ********, it's the guys that can't take a joke. In fact, it was more of a jab at the Flyers' organization than anything else.

But then again, what's better ego-stroking than picking a fight with a Staff Writer?

Honestly, I don't care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Trust me when I say that no one on this board is picking a fight with you to stroke their ego. Alas, such an action isnt exactly a feat of strength.
I disagree. I am, because he shouldn't be posting here.

If he is what warrants writing around here, I should have a job.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 11:30 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by janecky View Post
Money doesn't dictate what slot you're in as a defenseman or else we could call Tyler Myers "an okay number six". Not a ton of options out there they liked, so they got him for a mil. Given the cap status of the bolts and whatnot, he'll be a pressbox guy most of the year, and we'll still have 10m in cap space. I guess theres a previous connection there too, so Tampa management seems to like the idea that they already know hes bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZZIE King View Post
More like a solid #2...and I'm NOT talking defenseman...
Yeah we get it. We got it on your first five posts, we got it on the next three saying how terrible he is, and we can just assume you're calling Randy Jones a piece of ****. We. Get. It.

Last edited by The Fear Boners: 08-27-2010 at 11:45 AM.
The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 11:37 AM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
C'mon guys lets pick this up. Only about 60 more posts and we can reach the post count for the Gagne thread.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

jones should know that this is his last chance at being an NHL player and at 1 million for a year isnt that much of a risk. its a low risk/ medium reward

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote