HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks are interested in Marc Staal

Old
08-27-2010, 07:35 PM
JPavs8Clutchy*

vCash: 500
Sharks are interested in Marc Staal

Hey, I know the twitter isn't super reliable, so take it with a grain of salt, but according to https://twitter.com/The_NHL_News the Sharks are interested in Marc Staal.

What would you guys want for Marc Staal? (From SJ)

JPavs8Clutchy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 07:39 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Pavelski and that's about it.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 07:40 PM
Evgeny Oliker

I'm assuming the only way you get him is through an offer sheet like the one thrown at Hjalmarsson...only for a bit more money.

Sather is stupid enough to low ball every good RFA we have...like he did last year with Callahan and Dubinsky. This might teach him a lesson and hopefully get him fired.

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 07:41 PM
CH2

Staal's gonna sign

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 07:46 PM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post

Niemi was supposed to eventually sign in Chicago also...if SJ gives Staal an offer sheet for around $4 mill per year, it will put us in a very bad spot because right now I dont think we can waive Redden(have to wait for AHL season to start I think). So only thing we could try to do is buy out Redden...not sure if Rangers want to do that.

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 07:51 PM
JPavs8Clutchy*

10 hours ago, this was also posted on this twitter:

http://twitter.com/Hockeylivewire

Old
08-27-2010, 07:55 PM
TrojanRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
Niemi was supposed to eventually sign in Chicago also...if SJ gives Staal an offer sheet for around $4 mill per year, it will put us in a very bad spot because right now I dont think we can waive Redden(have to wait for AHL season to start I think). So only thing we could try to do is buy out Redden...not sure if Rangers want to do that.

Redden can be waived at the end of camp.

Non issue. Im sure the sharks are interested in Staal but Id bet that every other team out there is as well. Sharks don't really have much to offer (that they'd be willing to get rid of) in return for Staal.

TrojanRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 07:55 PM
FOXHOUND*

Sharks and rangers make bad trade partners for staal

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 07:58 PM
JPavs8Clutchy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanRanger View Post
Redden can be waived at the end of camp.

Non issue. Im sure the sharks are interested in Staal but Id bet that every other team out there is as well. Sharks don't really have much to offer (that they'd be willing to get rid of) in return for Staal.
Wilson had a recent interview where he didn't really say anything about Ryane Clowe. He also discussed trading picks and prospects for established players.

Old
08-27-2010, 08:11 PM
eco's bones

Rangers have options to hold on to Staal if another team tries to sign him to an offer sheet.

1) A team can go up to 10% over the salary cap max during the off season. That's about $6 mil over. Right now they're about level with the cap max.

2) The Rangers can make trade(s) of one way players to open up more cap space.

It's not all predicated on when and how they go about sending Redden to Hartford.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 08:12 PM
JPavs8Clutchy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Rangers have options to hold on to Staal if another team tries to sign him to an offer sheet.

1) A team can go up to 10% over the salary cap max during the off season. That's about $6 mil over. Right now they're about level with the cap max.

2) The Rangers can make trade of one way players to open up more cap space.

It's not all predicated on when and how they go about sending Redden to Hartford.
I think it's more likely that the Sharks trade for him.

Old
08-27-2010, 08:21 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPavs8Cluthcy View Post
That's not likely at all. You have no 1C that you could offer us (that you'd be willing to offer) and any 1st rounder offered would be too low.

Old
08-27-2010, 08:21 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPavs8Cluthcy View Post
Yeah--well he's our best defenseman (as far as playing defense anyway) we have by quite a lot and it wasn't the greatest group last year. Someone mentioned Pavelski but to be honest with you I don't know if it's enough. It's like fixing one problem (kind of--depending on how Pavelski settles in as a defacto No. 1 center and I don't know if that's reaching a little bit with him) by creating a big hole in our defense. To be honest I'd rather hold on to Staal. But who knows what Sather and Wilson may or may not get up to.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 08:32 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

It'd have to be Pavelski+ and they have to take Drury or Redden with him!

Staal is gonna sign. I can't imagine Sather letting his big fish go. Staal is the shining beacon in his youth movement mantra. If he's to keep the masses convinced he's committed to youth, no way he can let Staal go.

And "Sharks interested in Staal" who isn't? If "Rangers interested in Ovechkin." was a headline, that'd be a 'well, duh'

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 08:45 PM
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust

Im not thrilled about trading Staal but How about Staal, Rozsival, Grachev, 1st, 2nd for Pavelski , Vlasic, and Petrecki

MacTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 08:55 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester 88 View Post
Im not thrilled about trading Staal but How about Staal, Rozsival, Grachev, 1st, 2nd for Pavelski , Vlasic, and Petrecki
You must be a devils fan...

Old
08-27-2010, 09:02 PM
MSG the place to be*

NO way is Pavelski as valuable as Staal. I would equate Pavelski to Dubinsky. Pavelski has put up more points but San Jose had 38 more goals and 111 more points to disperse throughout their lineup.

Pavelski is essentially a pretty good number two center. Those guys aren't that hard to obtain. Matt Lombardi was signed for what, like 3.5 million this offseason and he was like the best center available. Defenseman of Staal's caliber are getting paid a heavy premium.

Bottom line, we acquire Pavelski and he just blends into our offensively inept team. We lose Staal and we now have the worst defense in the league by a mile.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 09:03 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
Sharks and rangers make bad trade partners for staal

it wont happen but Pavelski and Demers and maybe

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 09:08 PM
gotmonte

if he gets a big offer, we get what, 1st, 2nd, 3rd rounder?

Does sharks have all their picks for a certain year?

Just curious

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 09:09 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
I'm assuming the only way you get him is through an offer sheet like the one thrown at Hjalmarsson...only for a bit more money.

Sather is stupid enough to low ball every good RFA we have...like he did last year with Callahan and Dubinsky. This might teach him a lesson and hopefully get him fired.
Only thing that is stupid is this post. Its clear that the Rangers have ALL leverage with players on their rookie contracts. No GM in their right mind will offersheet a Rangers RFA. Sather may sign some bad UFAs but he is pretty adept in the other areas of his job. And if we are gonna let Staal go on an offersheet, he is gonna bring back serious draft picks.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 09:23 PM
broadwayblue

No offense, but isn't every team interested in Marc Staal?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 09:25 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
NO way is Pavelski as valuable as Staal. I would equate Pavelski to Dubinsky. Pavelski has put up more points but San Jose had 38 more goals and 111 more points to disperse throughout their lineup.

Pavelski is essentially a pretty good number two center. Those guys aren't that hard to obtain. Matt Lombardi was signed for what, like 3.5 million this offseason and he was like the best center available. Defenseman of Staal's caliber are getting paid a heavy premium.

Bottom line, we acquire Pavelski and he just blends into our offensively inept team. We lose Staal and we now have the worst defense in the league by a mile.
This is really the reason that I'm sure he'll be back. NYR can't afford to lose him. In the wake of losing Staal we would need a successful shutdown D man first priority, even more than a first line center in my opinion. It just doesn't make sense to open up a hole in the roster like that especially when we'd be losing a young guy who might still get significantly better at his position.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 09:37 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
if he gets a big offer, we get what, 1st, 2nd, 3rd rounder?

Does sharks have all their picks for a certain year?
A $4.6 - $6.2 mil offer sheet we get that type of compensation but the Sharks are not the team you want draft pick compensation from... They will finish somewhere in the top 10 in the league which means late round picks, later than our picks likely... There really isn't too much danger of an offer sheet here... Rangers can/will afford to match quite a bit, and teams aren't going to pull a Kevin Lowe and offer Staal some absurd contract like $7 mil per year or anything stupid...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 09:53 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
it wont happen but Pavelski and Demers and maybe
As a Sharks/Rangers (Rangers/Sharks ) fan, (there are a few of us here, I've noticed in the past) I'd say this is about as close as we can get to a deal. However, I just don't see us (Rangers) moving Staal. As someone said earlier, if we loose Marc, we have the worst D in the league.

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 10:12 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Its not happening and for the guy who said a 4 mil offer sheet will get it done.......sather would match that in a heartbeat....itd have to be minimally 5 mil to even have a chance at sather not matching

even then i doubt he would let staal go

also, id be surprised if he got an offer sheet at this point in the offseason....i think it would've happened much earlier....gm's dont seem to want to go after sather with offer sheets

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote