HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Engels: "if the Canadiens are not interested in Guerin, they're foolish"

Old
08-27-2010, 03:30 PM
Ginu

vCash: 500
All we would need Guerin to be is healthy for the playoffs. He would be the Travis Moen up with Gomez and Gionta in the playoffs but this time with real offensive skills. During the Pittsburgh series, I was terrified when he parked himself in front of the net. It unlocked so much for the Penguins against us. We need that size in front of the net. He'd bring that. I say go for it for one year.

EDIT: Not to mention he'd be a great mentor for Pouliot and Pacioretty. He'd be able to transform them into good NHL players. He brings so much experience and plays the exact role we want these two to emerge with.

Last edited by Ginu: 08-27-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 03:33 PM
Athlétique_Canadien

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
The Habs have only one serious roster need, and that's a tough-minutes top-6 forward
...here's where I hope you and others are incorrect and Eller is that player.

We'll see. As for Guerin - I don't see him getting an NHL offer anywhere except for a team that needs to fill seats with no anticipation of going very far this year. And I doubt a team will bother. Toronto makes sense to me

Athlétique_Canadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 04:16 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHLÉTIQUE_CANADIEN View Post
...here's where I hope you and others are incorrect and Eller is that player.
I think he will be, eventually. Asking him to do it in 2010-11, as an NHL rookie with all of one AHL season, is likely asking too much though. But I'd certainly be ecstatic if he develops this fast.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 04:20 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
He would be the Travis Moen up with Gomez and Gionta in the playoffs but this time with real offensive skills.
If he slots into the top-6 (assuming he's still good enough to do that), he'd have to play with Pleks and Cammy. Gionta is already a RHS RW with net presence; having Guerin on that line would be redundant.

Old
08-27-2010, 04:32 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbs88 View Post
On his Twitter

EricEngels I'll go as far to say that if the Canadiens aren't interested in Guerin, they're foolish

What do you guys think?
Would you want Billy G in Montreal?
If Gauthier did sign him, where would he fit in the line-up?
He could be a nice fir with Lapierre and Eller...and to push guys like AK and Pouliot. As long as the price fits under the cap and leaves 1 mil once Price is signed.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 04:36 PM
SeriousFan09

We have enough older players on the team and Guerin showed his age with the Penguins last year especially. Need to stick with the younger kids especially to fill out the bottom 6.

SeriousFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 04:39 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Engels is foolish, not the rest of us.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 04:49 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
If he slots into the top-6 (assuming he's still good enough to do that), he'd have to play with Pleks and Cammy. Gionta is already a RHS RW with net presence; having Guerin on that line would be redundant.
No offense and I love Gionta, but Gionta doesn't have the net presence of Guerin. I'm talking being able to screen the goaltender and being hard to push away from the front of the net. Sure Gionta has heart and doesn't give up, but you need size too. We don't have anyone who does that. I wouldn't even give Guerin a top 6 position. I'd free flow our top 8 of Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri, Plekanec, Pouliot, Kostitsyn, Guerin and Eller (9 if Pacioretty makes the team). Just because Guerin would start in a top 6 position doesn't mean he plays 20 minutes a game. If you want to put him with Cammalleri and Plekanec, that's fine too. Just as long as we give our young guys like Pouliot and Eller a chance on the top 2 lines during the game. It keeps everyone fresh and familiar for the playoffs.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 05:27 PM
muzion

dumbest thing I've heard this week

muzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 05:39 PM
Bitterman

The only one whose foolish is Engels for wanting Guerin. No cap for an offer much over 800k and a roster full of one way contracts already. Brilliant!

Someone's been playing the NHL 11 demo a tad too much

Bitterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 06:02 PM
Forsead

I would prefer that the habs get Owen Nolan !

Forsead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 07:02 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
rather have tucker

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 08:38 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Engles' last two articles have been terrible.

Everyone is upset that we "lost" Desjardins, and now we're "foolish" for not considering over-the-hill, dirty Bill Guerin? Get a life Engles.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 08:58 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
I guess you've never seen Lapierre being used with good offensive players?
And wasn't he used there when other wingers were absolute crap or had big injuries??...So, what's your point..?

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 08:59 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertramp View Post
Engles' last two articles have been terrible.

Everyone is upset that we "lost" Desjardins, and now we're "foolish" for not considering over-the-hill, dirty Bill Guerin? Get a life Engles.
Engels has never been very good IMO. I'd rather read Crimson's blog tbh. ******* doesn't write enough though

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 09:27 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
No offense and I love Gionta, but Gionta doesn't have the net presence of Guerin.
He's still a guy who charges the net. You can't have two on a line and be effective. And he's effective there, not for screening, but for deflections and rebounds. Then there's the question of how much a net-crasher can do for a team whose main problem is spending too much time in the D zone. The Habs need some way to push and keep the puck in the O-zone, they're plenty good about putting it in once they get there and get some shots.

Gionta is a RW. Guerin is a RW. They're both RHS and I don't think either can realistically play LW. Either you split Gomez and Gionta, or you bump AKost to LW with Gomez and you play Guerin with Pleks. Those are the only two realistic ways of fitting Guerin in the top-6, and I don't think splitting Gomez and Gionta makes sense. I don't think that at this stage of his career, he's capable of handling the tough minutes and many defensive draws that Plekanec handles. And I think Guerin will make too much money to be Eller's regular RW... but if he signs cheap, I could see him there.

Although whether his skating can keep up is a worry.

Old
08-27-2010, 09:31 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

What are we, the leafs of yesteryears ?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Miller Time

i don't get all the talk about Guerin in the top 6...

it's pretty obvious that we would have no interest in bringing him in to play a permanent top-6 role, and if you think about it that way, OF COURSE it seems pointless.

but bringing him in to play a role in the bottom six is a different story all together.

we've had dismal luck in the past bringing in near retirement vets (mckay, smolinsky, lang), but at the price tag Guerin will be looking at (~1M), it's a low risk medium reward type of move.

more than anything, I'd make the move for the mentoring/influence role he could potentially have with our young wingers, and I'd ONLY bring him in if he was comfortable and motivated to do so.

during the season, with injuries/slumps, he'd get his occasional shifts in the top 6 or on the PP, but for the most part, he'd be a depth winger, with scoring ability, that imo would be a great fit next to Eller-Boyd.

With Eller-Boyd-A.Kost-Pouliot-Lapierre and Pyatt all more or less pencilled in for a permanent role with the team, I don't think adding Guerin "takes a spot away from a young guy"... you need to have a decent balance, and right now our wingers are heavy on the youth/speed and very light on the grit/experience. Guerin balances that out nicely.

let MaxPac/Maxwell/Desharnais/White/Avtsin have one more body ahead of them, at this point, with the youth we already have with the big club, there is no harm in letting those guys spent the bulk of another season honing their game in the AHL.

Guerin, or as others have suggested, Nolan, would fit nicely, imo... two other vets I'd consider would be Lehtinen and Modin. Both have had injury issues lately, but Modin came on decently strong in the playoffs (3 g in 6 games), and Lethinen brings a boatload of intangibles/knowledge that would benefit Eller.

as long as they can handle 12-15min/night, provide leadership-work ethic-mentoring, and are able to chip in/finish plays more consistently than Lapierre or Moen, then we have a worthwhile upgrade

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 10:36 PM
Patrice Brisebois

scott walker!

Patrice Brisebois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 10:39 PM
Schooner Guy

So is Ray Shero foolish for letting Guerin go?

I watched Ryan White pound the snot out of Bill Guerin right in front of me at the Bell Centre back in February (was in the 6th row). It was great because Guerin was looking for it!

Guerin has very little left in the tank. Pass on this one. Engels is the one being foolish.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 10:49 PM
AntonCH

Look up Warren Young and you'll be able to figure out the answer to the question.

On top of that this team has enough veterans for the partial youth movement that were embarking on

No thanks

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 11:22 PM
Mad Max

You can make an argument that he can be a good locker room guy, but where is he going to fit in the lineup? He can still score, but we have guys that can perform on offense(Plekanec, Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri). Frankly, I'd rather spend money on someone that is big and can do a better job than Laraque did last season.

Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 11:40 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
And wasn't he used there when other wingers were absolute crap or had big injuries??...So, what's your point..?
My point is that this guy should never see any time with talented players offensively. He's too much of an offensive black hole. I actually would rather see Moen up there. I just like him much better as a hockey player.

Still, the ideal scenario would see them both on a checking line with Pyatt or White.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 11:43 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
i don't get all the talk about Guerin in the top 6...

it's pretty obvious that we would have no interest in bringing him in to play a permanent top-6 role, and if you think about it that way, OF COURSE it seems pointless.

but bringing him in to play a role in the bottom six is a different story all together.

we've had dismal luck in the past bringing in near retirement vets (mckay, smolinsky, lang), but at the price tag Guerin will be looking at (~1M), it's a low risk medium reward type of move.

more than anything, I'd make the move for the mentoring/influence role he could potentially have with our young wingers, and I'd ONLY bring him in if he was comfortable and motivated to do so.

during the season, with injuries/slumps, he'd get his occasional shifts in the top 6 or on the PP, but for the most part, he'd be a depth winger, with scoring ability, that imo would be a great fit next to Eller-Boyd.

With Eller-Boyd-A.Kost-Pouliot-Lapierre and Pyatt all more or less pencilled in for a permanent role with the team, I don't think adding Guerin "takes a spot away from a young guy"... you need to have a decent balance, and right now our wingers are heavy on the youth/speed and very light on the grit/experience. Guerin balances that out nicely.

let MaxPac/Maxwell/Desharnais/White/Avtsin have one more body ahead of them, at this point, with the youth we already have with the big club, there is no harm in letting those guys spent the bulk of another season honing their game in the AHL.

Guerin, or as others have suggested, Nolan, would fit nicely, imo... two other vets I'd consider would be Lehtinen and Modin. Both have had injury issues lately, but Modin came on decently strong in the playoffs (3 g in 6 games), and Lethinen brings a boatload of intangibles/knowledge that would benefit Eller.

as long as they can handle 12-15min/night, provide leadership-work ethic-mentoring, and are able to chip in/finish plays more consistently than Lapierre or Moen, then we have a worthwhile upgrade
Lang was great for us, probably our best player in 2008-2009.
Smolinski was great in the playoffs.

It's also funny how you don't talk about Gill, who put MVP-worthy performances in the playoffs.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 01:12 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Bill Guerin just isn't very good anymore... He has not cracked 50 points since 03-04 and is waaay past his prime. The Pens, who are team with terrible wingers have not re-signed him, I think it shows something. Plus Guerin has never been a great playoff performer.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote