HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks are interested in Marc Staal

Old
08-27-2010, 10:15 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

vCash: 500
It would definitely have to start with Pavelski, then maybe McGinn and Demers or something along those lines, NO THAT DEAL SPECIFICALLY.

I am not advocating trading Staal but getting Pavelski back would be amazing!!

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 10:17 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
It would definitely have to start with Pavelski, then maybe McGinn and Demers or something along those lines, NO THAT DEAL SPECIFICALLY.

I am not advocating trading Staal but getting Pavelski back would be amazing!!
At the very least.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 10:26 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
I'm assuming the only way you get him is through an offer sheet like the one thrown at Hjalmarsson...only for a bit more money.

Sather is stupid enough to low ball every good RFA we have...like he did last year with Callahan and Dubinsky. This might teach him a lesson and hopefully get him fired.
wtf? You want to overpay RFAs who have no leverage? Blind Sather hate is annoying.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 10:28 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
NO way is Pavelski as valuable as Staal. I would equate Pavelski to Dubinsky. Pavelski has put up more points but San Jose had 38 more goals and 111 more points to disperse throughout their lineup.

Pavelski is essentially a pretty good number two center. Those guys aren't that hard to obtain. Matt Lombardi was signed for what, like 3.5 million this offseason and he was like the best center available. Defenseman of Staal's caliber are getting paid a heavy premium.

Bottom line, we acquire Pavelski and he just blends into our offensively inept team. We lose Staal and we now have the worst defense in the league by a mile.
if you watch the games you'd know Pavelski >>> Dubinsky
Pavelski is an ace on faceoffs, makes players around him better, skates like the dickens, super strong defensively, and is clutch. he's playing like Drury in his Buffalo days but has the character to bring that game with him if he were to ever join our team. Drury never made other players better. And he doesn't play like he did in his prime. The only concession is that Dubinsky might get better but we can't make trades on that type of speculation.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 10:30 PM
DrZoidberg

Pavelski is one of my favorite players in the league no doubt, and like everyone else said it'd have to start with him. But then again, Staal is definitely one of my favorite players on the Rangers, so I don't want to see him go at all.

Keep Staal and keep things the way they are. No trading.

DrZoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 10:33 PM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Pavelski is an ace on faceoffs, makes players around him better, skates like the dickens, super strong defensively, and is clutch. he's playing like Drury in his Buffalo days but has the character to bring that game with him if he were to ever join our team. Drury never made other players better. And he doesn't play like he did in his prime. The only concession is that Dubinsky might get better but we can't make trades on that type of speculation.
I can't say I watch a ton of Sharks games but I also think your underrating Dubi. I can name a bunch of good adjectives about him as well.

When a team is scoring goals, players rack up points. Thats why through 15 games, Gaborik, Prospal, Kotalik, Dubinsky, Del Zotto were all at or close to ppg level. By the end of the year only gaborik was over 60 points. Pavelski's offensive production is at least partially attributed to being on a powerhouse team.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 10:37 PM
DrZoidberg

Quote:
I can't say I watch a ton of Sharks games but I also think your underrating Dubi. I can name a bunch of good adjectives about him as well.

When a team is scoring goals, players rack up points. Thats why through 15 games, Gaborik, Prospal, Kotalik, Dubinsky, Del Zotto were all at or close to ppg level. By the end of the year only gaborik was over 60 points. Pavelski's offensive production is at least partially attributed to being on a powerhouse team.
There's a reason Pavelski was picked for the Olympic team over Dubi.

DrZoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 10:48 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface Avery View Post
.sather would match that in a heartbeat....itd have to be minimally 5 mil to even have a chance at sather not matching
I'd argue $5 mil would get matched in a heartbeat... Staal will be worth that much in the not too distant future and the compensation for a $5 mil offer sheet if Staal signed it, is pretty minimal (1st, 2nd, 3rd)... You'd be hard-placed to replace Marc Staal's value to the organization with those draft picks...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 11:09 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

j u m b o

08-27-2010, 11:11 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
Getting rid of Staal in any way would be such a mistake. He's so important to our core. Sure we have a bunch of defensive prospects but I highly doubt any of them not named McDonagh will actually play defense anywhere nearly as well as Staal does. He's only going to get better over the next couple of years as well. I don't know about you guys but I think Henrik takes enough shots on goal with our defense so I don't think letting our best defensive player go is a good idea. Staal must be resigned. Thankfully I think that's what will happen.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 11:14 PM
lbrowne

Quote:
Pavelski's offensive production is at least partially attributed to being on a powerhouse team.
This. If Dubi were to playing on the Sharks he'd have much higher numbers too.

Pavelski on the Rangers would not be as effective as what Dubinsky currently does for us.

Back to the original topic - Staal will be in Ranger blue this season.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 11:19 PM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
There's a reason Pavelski was picked for the Olympic team over Dubi.
I'd take Okposo over either. And shmish shmury says HELLLLLLLOOOOOOOO.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 11:23 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Not only is Staal the most important piece of our defensive core, I think he's going to be a great influence on Ryan McD and possibly D-Mac. Not only just because he's going to be older than them and more experienced, but since right now he's still young enough to be able to have more in common with them, so i believe they're going to look up to him moreso than anyone else.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 11:24 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrowne View Post
This. If Dubi were to playing on the Sharks he'd have much higher numbers too.

Pavelski on the Rangers would not be as effective as what Dubinsky currently does for us.

Back to the original topic - Staal will be in Ranger blue this season.
Disagree. Pavelski is a better player than Dubinsky. Is by a huge amount? Not at all. But he's better.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 11:32 PM
ministaal18

if the rangers dnt sighn staal and sanjose does i will move to sanjose i dnt wanna deal wt sather anymore and have the leagues worst defense

ministaal18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 11:35 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I'd argue $5 mil would get matched in a heartbeat... Staal will be worth that much in the not too distant future and the compensation for a $5 mil offer sheet if Staal signed it, is pretty minimal (1st, 2nd, 3rd)... You'd be hard-placed to replace Marc Staal's value to the organization with those draft picks...
agreed...that is why i said minimally....i think sather would match 5 mil

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 11:36 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
wtf? You want to overpay RFAs who have no leverage? Blind Sather hate is annoying.
this....sather did a good job with both cally and dubi.....rfa's have nearly no leverage unless they get an offer sheet....there is a reason the nhl has rfas and ufa's

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 11:38 PM
TrojanRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Getting rid of Staal in any way would be such a mistake. He's so important to our core. Sure we have a bunch of defensive prospects but I highly doubt any of them not named McDonagh will actually play defense anywhere nearly as well as Staal does. He's only going to get better over the next couple of years as well. I don't know about you guys but I think Henrik takes enough shots on goal with our defense so I don't think letting our best defensive player go is a good idea. Staal must be resigned. Thankfully I think that's what will happen.
I like McDonagh but no one in the system will come close to playing D as well as Staal sans maybe McIlrath and thats only because none of us really know what we have with him yet.

If Staal were to ever get traded its going to be for a young, legitimate first line forward and that will only happen if we can't get him signed. I love Joe Pavelski, but there is no way that I trade Staal for him unless Vlasic were coming along too and would never happen.

TrojanRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 12:47 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Pavelski + to start I'd say. I don't think it's a secret that Staal's value is definitely higher than Pavelski's.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 01:19 AM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
As a Sharks/Rangers (Rangers/Sharks ) fan, (there are a few of us here, I've noticed in the past) I'd say this is about as close as we can get to a deal. However, I just don't see us (Rangers) moving Staal. As someone said earlier, if we loose Marc, we have the worst D in the league.
I'm one too...I was the guy who pegged Cheechoo to follow up with a 60-goal season. Man, was that a mistake.

I agree, I just can't see the Rangers moving Staal. They need offensive help, but not at the expense of their best defensive defenseman.

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 01:25 AM
JPavs8Clutchy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Pavelski is a below average skater.

JPavs8Clutchy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 02:21 AM
bscharf

Trade away one of the leagues best young defenseman in the game?

if staal doesnt sign this team is done

bscharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 04:52 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I agree--San Jose's picks aren't worth much even the first because they'll be towards the bottom of rounds and even a first usually is some kind of gamble at that point. You are very unlikely to get anywhere near as significant player as the one you're giving up and you're throwing away all the time in development. Any deal between San Jose and us has to revolve around actual players--draft picks as only additions.

Trying to fix one problem by creating another just isn't a good way to go. Henrik has enough on his plate with the other d-men in front of him. No way I'd want to give up Staal. And as good as Pavelski may be--Stepan may be as good in two-three years. One other thing--Pavelski would likely center Gaborik but Gaborik is one of those rare players who can create on their own. He might be even better with a Pavelski but as is right now he's a big threat when he's on the ice anyway. Gaining Pavelski should make us moderately better offensively but losing Staal would blow a huge gaping hole in our defense.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 07:32 AM
GAGLine

We already have Pavelski. His name is Stepan. Staal isn't going anywhere.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 08:26 AM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
it's generally accepted that defensemen take longer to develop than wingers or centers. a rock solid defensive defensemen takes especially long. "rock solid" as in never makes mistakes. staal is mostly there and will complete the journey to the elite level of defensive defensemen. to trade him at this point makes no sense because he's very hard to replace.

besides, the defense couldn't deal w/o him. sather would have to sign.... who? two weeks ago you'd have said willie mitchell would be ok, but with his head issues, i'd pass.

hold onto staal. i say pay him a bit more now, to have him under contract longer. you lock up your keepers. home grown.

Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote